The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
LinkEdward
Beginning Trainer

Hi I just started to learn how to hack today, and I started with advance map. I looked at some tutorials and I have the right advance map, but when I go to the events view, the event tiles dont show up. I only see the NPCs its kind of annoying. Thanks in advance!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkEdward View Post
Hi I just started to learn how to hack today, and I started with advance map. I looked at some tutorials and I have the right advance map, but when I go to the events view, the event tiles dont show up. I only see the NPCs its kind of annoying. Thanks in advance!
You need to untick the "Hide other events" option, which is enabled by default.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
MC Blaze
The Breeder

Nature: Modest
I need help again, sorry. Thanks for answer my last post.

I wanted to change the second battle with Rival in FR (You know, when you try to go to the pokemon league). Let´s say I wanted him to have a Tailow and a Mudkip; in Trainer Edit and PET I changed them (one at a time, of course), there is no problem with Taillow but the last pokemon always returns to one of the original starters (I changed the starters in my hack)

Can someone please help me?

Last edited by MC Blaze; July 22nd, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
iTeruri
iAm

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
I'm sorry but the multichoice command won't work with buffers. Anyway, if there's a special that let you choose the attacks I would rather use that. Thing is the returned value is the slot, and not the attack value. So you would then need an ASM routine to retrieve the attack value from the selected slot.

Would the ASM for this be hard? I know zero ASM, so I guess it is :/
The slot of the Pokémon is stored at 0x8004 (this is 0x0 for the first pokémon in your party, 0x1 for the second, and so on)
The attack you select is stored at 0x8005 (this is 0x0 for the first attack, 0x1 for the second)

Technically, this would be enough to retrieve the data, am I correct? According to bulbapedia the attacks are stored in the sub structure, but the order of the sub structure changes with the personality value :/
I guess this is too hard for someone that knows hardly any ASM to do. I guess the ASM would be simmilar to the ASM in this topic, but with the sub structure instead of the main structure.

Could somebody guide me trough making this ASM (I believe it's called a routine?)? I'm not asking you to make it for me, that would be lazy from my part (and I wouldn’t learn anything) . I haven’t had the time to really look at some tutorials, so guess I should to that first.
So yeah, if you are interested in learning this newb how to do this just send me a PM.

Oh, one more thing. You know Fire Red has gender based blue and red texts for NPC’s, right? Does anybody know how this is stored in the rom? My guess a byte around changes the gender of the NPC. Yeah, I could do the textcolor thing or the [blue_fr], but why do that if you can change around a few bytes in a hex editor? At least, if you know what byte to change. So: what byte determines the gender of a OverWorld/NPC?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Blaze View Post
I need help again, sorry. Thanks for answer my last post.

I wanted to change the second battle with Rival in FR (You know, when you try to go to the pokemon league). Let´s say I wanted him to have a Tailow and a Mudkip; in Trainer Edit and PET I changed them (one at a time, of course), there is no problem with Taillow but the last pokemon always returns to one of the original starters (I changed the starters in my hack)

Can someone please help me?
CanI suggest you using A-Trainer? You can get it from my Tools Factory. It's still beta, but it's really worth a try :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTeruri View Post
Would the ASM for this be hard? I know zero ASM, so I guess it is :/
The slot of the Pokémon is stored at 0x8004 (this is 0x0 for the first pokémon in your party, 0x1 for the second, and so on)
The attack you select is stored at 0x8005 (this is 0x0 for the first attack, 0x1 for the second)

Technically, this would be enough to retrieve the data, am I correct? According to bulbapedia the attacks are stored in the sub structure, but the order of the sub structure changes with the personality value :/
I guess this is too hard for someone that knows hardly any ASM to do. I guess the ASM would be simmilar to the ASM in this topic, but with the sub structure instead of the main structure.

Could somebody guide me trough making this ASM (I believe it's called a routine?)? I'm not asking you to make it for me, that would be lazy from my part (and I wouldn’t learn anything) . I haven’t had the time to really look at some tutorials, so guess I should to that first.
So yeah, if you are interested in learning this newb how to do this just send me a PM. ^^

Oh, one more thing. You know Fire Red has gender based blue and red texts for NPC’s, right? Does anybody know how this is stored in the rom? My guess a byte around changes the gender of the NPC. Yeah, I could do the textcolor thing or the [blue_fr], but why do that if you can change around a few bytes in a hex editor? At least, if you know what byte to change. So: what byte determines the gender of a OverWorld/NPC?
Well, if you know zero ASM then it's pretty hard indeed. The routine itself would be quite simple, but you need some knownledge. Would you mind reaming my ASM lesson, in the meanwhile? It explains all the basic concepts.

As for the gender-based text... It doesn't actually need to be a byte, as it could be simply a bit (just like trainers). Either way, I haven't found it yet. But rest assured I will someday, and at that point I will implement it into my overworld editor ;)
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Otter
Reminiscing Every Now and Then

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Otter
Oh boy.. I was saving up my 1st post for something else, but this has been really bugging me...

I'm stuck on how to enlarge the number of blocks a specific tileset has in A-Map. I searched this topic and one of the answers I found was that you can't, which confused me since the A-Map readme says that it's possible to do so by tinkering with Tilesets.ini. Well, i checked out that config file, now I'm just lost on how to actually input the changes I want and have them incorporated into my rom.

Thanks for any help!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
MC Blaze
The Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
CanI suggest you using A-Trainer? You can get it from my Tools Factory. It's still beta, but it's really worth a try

God Bless your Tools Factory! This will solve all my worries, thank you!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
daigonite
jade the break-ro-dancer

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Oh boy.. I was saving up my 1st post for something else, but this has been really bugging me...

I'm stuck on how to enlarge the number of blocks a specific tileset has in A-Map. I searched this topic and one of the answers I found was that you can't, which confused me since the A-Map readme says that it's possible to do so by tinkering with Tilesets.ini. Well, i checked out that config file, now I'm just lost on how to actually input the changes I want and have them incorporated into my rom.

Thanks for any help!
There's a way to do it, but it's honestly too much work, and a LOT can go wrong. A hella lot. A nightmare's lot. Woo.

I will give my heart to you, because I love you, I trust you, and I know that you will be there for me.
Braillemon: Pokemon Port for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Otter
Reminiscing Every Now and Then

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Otter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon the Ferryman View Post
There's a way to do it, but it's honestly too much work, and a LOT can go wrong. A hella lot. A nightmare's lot. Woo.
Hm.. alright. I suppose I'll just work my way around it, then. Thanks for the reply!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
daigonite
jade the break-ro-dancer

An easy circumnavigation is to replace tiles you know you won't be using.

I will give my heart to you, because I love you, I trust you, and I know that you will be there for me.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly
hello...

I have a question about a text, I never used it before and I heard that it can screw up your rom...

I want to edit the beginning oak text, but when I get the "the legend" where he tells about all the stuff, it's a bunch of symbols and brackets and parantheses. I wondering if I erase this and over write it, it will screw up my game...

so is this the way to do it? erasing and overwriting the text? or is there another way?

edit: I also need to find out ow to edit the text where it says all the text like welcome to the world of pokemon and such
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens

Anyone know the offset for the status bar in FR?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
:3
3:

Here's my problem.

I've correctly inserted, Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Budew, Roserade, and Mamoswine. Icons and all, into my Fire Red Rom.

The thing Im having a problem with is Chimchar.

I tried replacing it over Charmander, then Mankey, and both times the front sprite comes out perfect. But the back sprite is messed up. So after that, I will try to repoint it to anoher location, but it doesnt work.

Normally after typing 3A8 into FSF I get 936 and then put that into the Unlz Offset, then I get a pop up saying it has been repointed. But I can only do that once.

Have I reached my limit of insertion?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanObrien View Post
Here's my problem.

I've correctly inserted, Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Budew, Roserade, and Mamoswine. Icons and all, into my Fire Red Rom.

The thing Im having a problem with is Chimchar.

I tried replacing it over Charmander, then Mankey, and both times the front sprite comes out perfect. But the back sprite is messed up. So after that, I will try to repoint it to anoher location, but it doesnt work.

Normally after typing 3A8 into FSF I get 936 and then put that into the Unlz Offset, then I get a pop up saying it has been repointed. But I can only do that once.

Have I reached my limit of insertion?
NOPE, ITS JUST A PALETTE ERROR I BELIEVE.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
MC Blaze
The Breeder

Guess who´s back!...

I know someone will get mad at me because of this but, the script to read a sign is the same as to examine an object?
I mean, if I want a text to appear when I examine a door, I put the script as if it were a sign? I think I already messed up my game 4 times over this...
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Blaze View Post
Guess who´s back!...

I know someone will get mad at me because of this but, the script to read a sign is the same as to examine an object?
I mean, if I want a text to appear when I examine a door, I put the script as if it were a sign? I think I already messed up my game 4 times over this...
you could make it a person event, put the sprite to a clipboard, and make a flag. when your flag is set, it could hide the sprite (hidesprite function). Hope this helps
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yoshimi
Good Vibrations

Is there an offset in firered that allows you to only bike(that means, you can't walk on it or get off your bike while on it) on a certain block?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Tyrantrum
おなら

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Yes, I believe there is.

I don't know what it is, but you might want to go check cycling road. ;3
It uses that offset.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
daigonite
jade the break-ro-dancer

Actually, you guys should probably just check the map script for Cycling Road - it's probably a Special command, which would make use with scripts (dunno if it would necessarily work however) :\

If not, it's implemented in the tiles, so you could pass that effect to the tile you wish to use.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Crysal
Beginning Trainer

How can I make an event like snorlax in FRLG, but in emerald. I will make an for exemple makuhita event with his ow sprite on the map and after battling it dissapear. Witch tool I need for this thing?

I downloaded rpg maker xp and show the tut but I even dont know ho to install. i install the 2 Programs on it on the setup, but then if I start the program it wont go????

Last edited by Crysal; July 23rd, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Thunderwolf1989
Ninetales fan! Ground trainer

I was having trouble with the cave warps, that they didn't work. I searched and found several people asking about the same thing...

When there's a cave, the tile on which the warp itself is, needs to be the exact same as the one like in the other caves. Although it looks exacly like a normal cave-tile, that cavetile is on a different block entry (the rightmost tile from the upper row of it's tileset) opposed to the normal one (2nd tile, upper row).

That way the cave warp works...

GPXPlus

Favorite Pokémon

My Hack's (Manarii Islands) Thread:

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Samike360
Lover of May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysal View Post
How can I make an event like snorlax in FRLG, but in emerald. I will make an for exemple makuhita event with his ow sprite on the map and after battling it dissapear. Witch tool I need for this thing?

I downloaded rpg maker xp and show the tut but I even dont know ho to install. i install the 2 Programs on it on the setup, but then if I start the program it wont go????
You will need XSE and learn how to script wildbattle events.

Please warm my eggs...I'll be sure to return the favor

From now one, if you haven't contacted me yet....I will not accept hacks unless they are at least in progressing hacks. So if you want my help, get some screenshots first.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
MC Blaze
The Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
you could make it a person event, put the sprite to a clipboard, and make a flag. when your flag is set, it could hide the sprite (hidesprite function). Hope this helps
...I'm sorry, I'm kind of new in the hacking bussiness, so... What!? I know you're
trying to help but I can't understand it, could you be clearer?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sonic YE
Pokemon Special Fan

Hi,

I saw this question in a FAQ or something recently, but I would really like if someone can help me about it, since there's no answer. My Andvance Mart and Advance Text don't launch anymore! Sometimes, I get a simple sound of error and nothing, sometimes I get this: Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correcly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I tried download again AM and AT, download the comctl32.ocx, nothing.

It's very frustrating, since I liked a lot those two softwares.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic YE View Post
Hi,

I saw this question in a FAQ or something recently, but I would really like if someone can help me about it, since there's no answer. My Andvance Mart and Advance Text don't launch anymore! Sometimes, I get a simple sound of error and nothing, sometimes I get this: Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correcly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I tried download again AM and AT, download the comctl32.ocx, nothing.

It's very frustrating, since I liked a lot those two softwares.

Thanks a lot for your help,
did you try registering them with the command prompt? Sometimes you have to do that. to do that, open command prompt as an administrator and the system32 folder will automatically open. Then type in regsvr32 comctl32.ocx and then a box wil pop up and say "component comctl32.ocx has been correctly registered." Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links