The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Steviestarsgard
Beginning Trainer

Imagine how awesome it would be if someone made a REAL Pokedex, it would be worth heaps and it wouldn't be that hard to do, just like one of those pocket electric dictionaries but more complex.

Would anyone with some computer skills like to collaborate, I could split the profits of the sale of the world's fist Pokedex in 50-30-10 with ten percent going to the people who invented Pokemon because they would have the copyright first. Whos keen?
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naive
Yes this is a great idea, let's create a Pokedex and get information on nothing.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Steviestarsgard
Beginning Trainer

I appreciate your sarcasm. But it wouldn't be information on nothing, it would be information about Pokemon. If you think Pokemon is nothing, why are you on a Pokemon forum, silly fool.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naive
Why would you need a Pokedex in the Real World? You're not gonna make a lot of money out of it, you can get all the information you need in the official handbooks.

If you're basing the Pokedex on the games then you need to capture a Pokemon to get information which I doubt you can do in the real world.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Well, for one, it's already been done. Several Pokedex products have been released since the franchise took off, some better than others in design and information.

Secondly, no profits could be made. It'd be illegal and you'd get sued for trying to sell it, and they wouldn't want to "share the profits" anyways because they could do it entirely themselves for a fraction of the cost.

But if you really want a real Pokedex, here's what you can do: get yourself an Internet-capable cellular phone and go to www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net and there you go! A real, live Pokedex!
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Steviestarsgard
Beginning Trainer

No, I mean one that goes off when a similar animal is nearby, like a pidgey when there is a pidgeon, or a snorlax when a fat guy walks past. People would buy them, and all you'd need is an inbuilt camera and a modified version of face recognition software
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hatenko
Hiya!

I don't know.. some cases it'd work great, like Whale-Wailord, Seal-Seel, Seahorse-Kingdra. Others it wouldn't really fit for at all, i.e. Rotom, Ditto, Porygon, Beldum.
-Normal/Psychic
-Musical Inspiration
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Yay! So we're going to go around pointing a red talking box at obese people and pidgeons, right?

Sounds like my idea of fun.
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Curt_09
Also known as Chozo

Pigeons people, pigeons... This bothers me.
A real live pokedex like that would be cool, but why not just make it a LifeDex. Point it at something and it gives you information on it. "Ice: Water in the solid state. Often used in drinks to keep them cool."
I bet you could just make an iPhone app with object recognition, which then just pulls up the Wikipedia article for it.

Old August 12th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Inferno1
Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Jolly
Heaps of pokedex have been released and they have never been that big of sellers because you can get most info u need form the internet

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Something relatively similar is already in the works--look up augmented reality. We're likely a ways away from making it common but that's definitely what you're looking at doing. I just... don't really see the point. :( It'd be more interesting to make more of an AnimalDex or something--point the phone (or object, whatever) at an animal and it'll identify the species and give you more information. But the sheer amount of data that would be needed for recognition is ridiculous so right now I don't think it could be done.

Dunno whether to leave this here or toss it in Computers & Tech though. (There's already an augmented reality thread there so...)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Pokedude45
Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan

Nature: Jolly
They do already have a pokedex as a toy XD

anyway Ir the pokedex was about animals and you just had to piont toward the animal for the pokedex to scan it and tell you info

The Mamaldex

no no

The BirdDex

no

The reptiledex

no

The fishdex

How about we release all of them at once well be rich XD
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Not all of the Pokemon would ever be found, so there's no purpose

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ayselipera

Whether you made a pokemon or real life one both would be kind of pointless.

I mean a real life one would be okay, but for the most part you know what things are. I could see it being used for scientists or people who travel all around the world. Besides that though it just doesn't seem like something that everyone would go out and buy.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Lady Gaga
Community Supporter

dont they already have those toys? i can still be a POKEMON MASTER with those! XD
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Something relatively similar is already in the works--look up augmented reality. We're likely a ways away from making it common but that's definitely what you're looking at doing. I just... don't really see the point. :( It'd be more interesting to make more of an AnimalDex or something--point the phone (or object, whatever) at an animal and it'll identify the species and give you more information. But the sheer amount of data that would be needed for recognition is ridiculous so right now I don't think it could be done.

Dunno whether to leave this here or toss it in Computers & Tech though. (There's already an augmented reality thread there so...)
Animal pokedex lmfao. Not being sarcastic, but that could make millions. It's going to be especially popular with nature lovers. XD
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Divine~Deoxys
I likez teh Dragonz

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Divine~Deoxys
Yeah!!There's tons of nature lovers!!!Lets make this thing then flog it to them for tons of cash so they can outnerd eachother!!! we can be the first guys ever to become rich on a pokemon forum!!
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
kingofjokers
This is not a custom title!!!!

Send a message via AIM to kingofjokers
Like every one says its pointless because of course there are no pokemon in existence. The best you ever gonna get is a ipod touch app that links to bulbapedia or those toys that come out at a Toys r us. Or you can use your ds and fill out and use it as a pokedex just paint it red on the outside or invent a case that makes the ds look like the 4th gen pokedex and you got your self a authentic pokedex.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Steviestarsgard
Beginning Trainer

Ok, so now that I've already come up with the idea for the animal recognition device, I need someone who is willing to do the computing to make this, and we can split it like I said before (negotiable). I will meet you by the pretzel stand outside the library and we can discuss the funding for the prototype. I can get the patents, I just emailed freepatentsonline.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
MMundy777
Aspiring Gym Leader

Nature: Mild
wow all the negativity on this thread is surprising,

i mean its just someone who is excited about an idea they have, ya'll dont have to be so rude about some things ya know?
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMundy777 View Post
wow all the negativity on this thread is surprising,

i mean its just someone who is excited about an idea they have, ya'll dont have to be so rude about some things ya know?
Well he's obviously trolling, considering he joined for the sole purpose of sharing his "great idea" and just now asked for whoever is interested to meet him at the "pretzel stand in front of the library". If he's not joking, then he's naive of how the world works if he expects someone to do all the work on a project that could likely be illegal.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

As everyone has said before.... no Pokemon exist (sadly). The closest Pokemon you would find is a plushie at Toys R Us.
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Captain Hobo.
Posting King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Something relatively similar is already in the works--look up augmented reality. We're likely a ways away from making it common but that's definitely what you're looking at doing. I just... don't really see the point. It'd be more interesting to make more of an AnimalDex or something--point the phone (or object, whatever) at an animal and it'll identify the species and give you more information. But the sheer amount of data that would be needed for recognition is ridiculous so right now I don't think it could be done.

THe animaldex would be cool.

If you want to chat with me shoot me a VM. Trust me I can't bite you through the computer
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Lol. The AnimalDex would be nice. but I doubt people would be able to gain information on a lot of animals.
But on-topic. I think it wouldn't be necessary to have a real PokeDex while we can search up info on every Pokemon by using the computer.
I mean,where would you really bring a portable,real PokeDex to?
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Azonic
pls stop talking to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I have a PokeDex, one of those toy ones that you can play games on. :V

If you're talking about a real PokeDex, well it wouldn't work because there would have to be Pokemon. And the way PokeDexes function don't really make sense. I mean, you have to complete the PokeDex so the professor has to get information on every Pokemon (implying that he doesnt know the information, which makes no sense because the information has to be inputted into the PokeDex somehow.)

Sponsored Links