The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Of which feature would you like to see a short video?
A Storyline Event 44 39.64%
The Revamped Intro 18 16.22%
The Battle System 39 35.14%
Training 26 23.42%
The Laptop 21 18.92%
The Menu 13 11.71%
Pokemon World 39 35.14%
Move Selection 12 10.81%
Something Else (please state) 4 3.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonPlatnum View Post
Very, very nice 00Vampire!
I hope this agme gets completed :D
I'll try my best
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclenz View Post
Dude your battle system looks amazing, i wish you good luck!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miralci View Post
Is the pidgey going to be moving all the time during the battle? I just ask because then maybe you should let the kakuna move too (just a bit up and down or something like that...
I'm trying that out now

I like the pidgey, it's cute
I think so too

(off topic: A game for your mother's birthday! That's so nice! What kind of game is it?)
It was a Deal or No Deal game that involved me voiceover-ing lots of wacky characters and doing different accents, really fun to do.

Again: Good luck with the game!
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkraza View Post
this looks great, and your ideas are great as well.
One of the main things of this game that is great is the fact of all the gameplay changes, many fan games here have a diferent storiline but same gameplay, they have nice graphics but same gameplay. In both these cases i look at images of the game, but im never really interested in playing it. ( i would say this and protectors are the most "revolutionary" here )
I take that as a massive complement, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkraza View Post
BTW, are you doing this with FR/LG graphics? i yes i have some ramdom recolors and edits you could use...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franlandia View Post
I am going to give you my opinion of your RPG, the graphics of fr/lg do not shine well in a Rpg If you change the graphics your game I liked it enough more.
bye
Chances are I probably won't be using FR/LG graphics, the map I've used in the screenshots is just a test map from an old game. Don't know what sort of tiles I'll be using at the moment, as I haven't got around to mapping anything just yet. Thanks for the offer though Darkraza

Thought I'd include two more bits of eye-candy:

As you can see from the second shot, some battle animations will be a bit more literal.

More soon...

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave
That looks awesome! Keep it up>
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
That's awsome! And you have a lot of hard work ahead of you. Good luck !
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
Miralci
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vampire View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

As you can see from the second shot, some battle animations will be a bit more literal.

More soon...
*eyes fall out*

Wow, just wow...
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for the comments. :)

Within the battle system, the coding for the menus, moves learned, and pokemon switching are all done.

The only parts left to do are the Items, and the actual damage algorithms. Not yet sure whether I'll be keeping the original games' formulae, or making my own.

Will post some more screenshots later today, as I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a week and won't have a chance to do so til I come back, (though I am taking my laptop so I'll still work on the game a bit).

Update

Screenshots I promised earlier....

May even post some more a bit later if I have time.

[I thought thread creators were allowed to double-post if it related to updates on the game?]

Last edited by 00Vampire; August 7th, 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: The double-post-merging confused me :P
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

I'm back off holiday now. No posts?

Will post some more screenshots later.

Old August 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

I would of posted but I was on holidays when you posted that update and I only saw it now because the thread was bumped to be honest.
I really like the look of it. Very like my own Pokémon menu.
Again, because your a fellow Rm2k3 developer, if you ever want some tips, PM me.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM
mitchell114
Owner of Pokemon Yango version

This looks really awesome keep on the good work.
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to GymLeaderLance99 Send a message via Yahoo to GymLeaderLance99
That Squirtle animation looks pretty cool, and I like that you're making some of them more literal. It's also interesting that you're using face shots for the party instead of those little party sprites, and the menu looks great. Keep at it, dude.

Old August 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

First, to respond to some comments... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
I really like the look of it. Very like my own Pokémon menu.
Well Pokemon Protectors has always been my most favourite game on here, and it did really inspire me to create my own Pokemon game. It's not surprising to me that some things in my game are similar to yours because of that, but I do try my best not to copy anything from any of the games here (whenever possible).

Quote:
Again, because your a fellow Rm2k3 developer, if you ever want some tips, PM me.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell114 View Post
This looks really awesome keep on the good work.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymLeaderLance99 View Post
That Squirtle animation looks pretty cool, and I like that you're making some of them more literal. It's also interesting that you're using face shots for the party instead of those little party sprites, and the menu looks great. Keep at it, dude.
Thank you.

Moving on, I have a question to ask. Now, as you can already tell, I'm trying to make this game a bit more anime-ish, especially in the removal of Levels. But what about the stats?

Originally I was just going to use numbers, as per the usual Pokemon game. But I'm not sure anymore. In the anime, you wouldn't be able to put a number on how good your Charizard is at defending, would you? So maybe I should not include numbers?

But then, would it be too difficult to compare your pokemon to each other? Would it be too much hassle to make them have a training battle against each other? Me thinks so.
When I removed Levels, I added a Danger Bar in battle, so that even though you can't put a label on how strong your opponent is, you could still roughly tell how strong it is compared to your active Pokemon.

So going back to Stats, maybe I should take away numbers, but add something else. A graph? Diagram? Comparison Thingys? A colour-coded bar per stat that get's fuller and stronger in colour the stronger you get in that stat?

Any Ideas?

Old August 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Maybe you should include the number.
That was one of the bigger details to the game i think.
And when we were little we would always brag about how much better our pokemon there then anyone elses, by lookin at the numbers of course.
So i say yea, if your up for it, do it.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to GymLeaderLance99 Send a message via Yahoo to GymLeaderLance99
You could also try doing what was done with giving PokeBlocks to your Pokemon; that little pentagon thing that would fill in a certain way depending on which trait (cute, beauty, etc) was better-fed to it. The numbers were pretty much a big thing in the games, though, but it's up to you.

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Thanks for the nice comment about Protectors.
I want to point out that it was not my reaction "oh this guy is coping me" (since my games has no levels either ha) but in fact I was like "is this an Rm2k3 thing"- since I am aware of the limits it has and sometimes corners must be cut but can be cut with a style.

As for the stat thing, I have the same issue. It's confusing to do something like it, but I feel you need to add something to show progression.
Stats, and levels, are a huge part of the Gamefreak games and if they were gone, Pokémon wouldn't be what it was. The ability to brag about how strong your team is and what not.
You have to add something to show to the player that their Pokémon is growing but still have the concept that you want to push at the same time.
I decided to only go with 4 stats- attack, speed, defense and health- and I think this game should go nearly in the same direction.

Heres my idea.

Do something like- have a graph that has bars for each stat- or overall power. Then let's say after 5 battles, you work out how the player preformed with that pokemon and randomly increase each stat they done well on- so like, maybe if they took a lot of attacks- increase the health and defense stats. Or track how many times the opponent missed an attack on the player, then increase the speed stat for the player pokemon.

I think it would work out as a neat way for training, add something new to the overall gameplay, and could be expanded on depending what variables you chose to track.

What do you think?

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

@Blazers & Lance: Thanks for the comments. I promise to take both your opinions to heart on this matter, as I do also for every member of this glorious community here which we all hold dear. Your voices have been heard, and shall never be silenced. (Bit OTT but I just wanted to try and sound like a politician )

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comment about Protectors.
I want to point out that it was not my reaction "oh this guy is coping me" (since my games has no levels either ha) but in fact I was like "is this an Rm2k3 thing"- since I am aware of the limits it has and sometimes corners must be cut but can be cut with a style.

I knew you weren't pointing a finger or anything, but I still wanted to state that I wasn't purposely copying anything, cause you never know, there might be a few more similar features/styles/etc down the road. After all, it appears we have good taste, and great minds think alike too.

As for the stat thing, I have the same issue. It's confusing to do something like it, but I feel you need to add something to show progression.
Stats, and levels, are a huge part of the Gamefreak games and if they were gone, Pokémon wouldn't be what it was. The ability to brag about how strong your team is and what not.
You have to add something to show to the player that their Pokémon is growing but still have the concept that you want to push at the same time.
I decided to only go with 4 stats- attack, speed, defense and health- and I think this game should go nearly in the same direction.

You raise a point that I hadn't really thought about until now, which is the Special Atk/Def stats. With the direction I'm heading in (anime-ish), would it make sense to include two different stats for atk/def? I've already done some coding in the battle system regarding them, but it could be easily removed. Something for me to think about at least.

Heres my idea.

Do something like- have a graph that has bars for each stat- or overall power. Then let's say after 5 battles, you work out how the player preformed with that pokemon and randomly increase each stat they done well on- so like, maybe if they took a lot of attacks- increase the health and defense stats. Or track how many times the opponent missed an attack on the player, then increase the speed stat for the player pokemon.

I think it would work out as a neat way for training, add something new to the overall gameplay, and could be expanded on depending what variables you chose to track.

What do you think?

I think I like the idea. I've already designed some graphics for the stats which feature Bars, instead of numbers (and graphics which feature numbers instead). And I had already thought of keeping track of certain things such as 'How many times the Player evades an attack', but I was only going to use them to unlock achievements (like Xbox games). I never thought of using those variables in relation to training though. Great idea. :D

Meanwhile, while I'm still deliberating on such things, I took a break from the battle system to work on something more revolutionary than the Pokegear. More astounding than the Poketch. *Drumroll*

The Laptop

Your Laptop includes...
  • Email
  • Map
  • Jukebox and
  • An On/Off Switch ()

Those are the standard things, the others require more detail...

The Asphar Region Website
- Gives up to the minute news on all the minor and major events, all the latest gossip on the best and fastest growing Trainers, and even includes interviews with lots of famous people.

Live Updates - Allows you to check on those poor ill/injured Pokemon you've left in Pokecentres around the region, and also allows you to check the progress of Pokemon you may have left in Training Houses to complete certain tasks.

PokeSwitch - Allows you to switch a Pokemon between Party and PC on the move. Can only be used once however, and then will need recharging (instantaneous) at a PC.

I'll be posting some screenshots of this either a bit later tonight or tomorrow morning. (In my time zone anyways)

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

You got such good ideas vampire, what a smart guy! haha
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

Nature: Quirky
just noticed this game the battle system looks so unique and amazing and the withdraw screen with squirtle looks well amazing so looking fowerd to this supporting all the way need any help at all? good luck on this.

thanks

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Please visit his Fusion thread.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

@Blazers: You're giving me a big head lol

@Kian: Thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now ta

Here's some screenshots...

The Bulbasaur will be whichever Pokemon you chose as your starter, and the hat-guy is you.

One of the first Key Items you recieve (from your mother) is a Camera. All this really does is add pictures for your Laptop background. Example: I visited Escova Cave for the first time... now if I turn on my laptop, with a simple press of a button I can cycle through the background pictures I've collected until I come across:

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

whoa how are you making those lol they are so amazing!!!! new screens are great

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks Kian.

I must be in a really happy mood tonight, cause here's another screenshot

Old August 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Hahaha. I make a cameo. Nice. I'm sure I'll return the favor for my PokeCyber ha.
The design of it is really nice. I love the big icons- finally
The advantage to Rm2k3 over using the starter kit is that you have the freedom to do your own features more so then the others. IT clearly shows....

Old August 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Neiko Star
Dancing rain

Nature: Impish
Wow! This game looks really amazing. It's so realistic. And I can't believe you can start with a non-starter Pokemon...I always disliked being stuck with only three. And the Fatigue thing is a really good idea. Well actually...everything is cool. XD I can't wait to see what'll come next.

Btw, if I were you, I would display the stats as either like the pentagon thingy from the contests or a diagram made of bars of color. Or something like that.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

Nature: Modest
Im excited to see this game out there. i have always wanted a realistic pokemon game that was more like the anime. I cant wait to see what you are going to do with this. I also think you should put in more pokemon than just the origonals. I would like to see a very in-depth story line- most people have it the same with an evil team, you get a pokemon, beat the 8 gyms, get a legendary or 2, and beat the elite 4.
have fun making this

-oldenmw
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
This game looks great! I saw the post posted a bit back with the Squirtle withdraw animation. I can only image how much work its going to be to make all those animations. I am very impressed by the ambition I've seen in things like that.

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for the comments.

I have another question to ask...

The story is all already planned out, and is (hopefully) very in-depth and interesting. I was going to include lots of character development for the hero through speech, but I'm not sure.

Q. Would you prefer the hero not to speak, like in the games? Or would you like character development, witty dialogue and a more mature style of story-telling?

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:54 AM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

i would like to be able speak and maybe have an option so u can understand your character and make the game EVEN more unique

thanks for showing the other screen looks great

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,

Last edited by ~Kian~; August 19th, 2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: grammer :?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links