The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old August 10th, 2009 (10:08 AM). Edited August 10th, 2009 by Feign.
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
So, I think a lot of us have come to that point in our story or stories, where there is a necessity to have a Pokemon battle. For myself (and I'd think quite a few others), writing a Pokemon battle is more difficult than it sounds.

There are a number of reasons, such as lack of detail, too turn-based, plot confusion etc.

So it may be in the best interest that there be a thread, where everyone can help everyone in terms of writing a better battle.

To start off, I will give everyone that posts here, a controlled battle to write about, that way it may be easier to compare and give pointers, then a free form will follow if the poster choses to try their hand at a more open battle, where there is no controlled variables.

Now before you read on, I highly suggest that you do not read past this post, until you've posted your own battle, that way, you can write in your own style, and have the best "diagnosis".

Controlled Battle:

In this battle, there are two characters with relatively the same amount of skill and experience. Whatever I do not include in detail, you can add as your own. Here they are:

Jane

Pokemon and movesets:

Rapidash - Flare blitz
- Take Down
- Fire spin
- Agility

Mime Jr. - Confusion
- Meditate
- Copy Cat
- Double Slap

Pidgeotto - Fly
- Feather dance
- Quick attack
- Sand-attack

Vs.

Jeff

Pokemon - Movesets

Bonsly - Fake tears
- Rock Throw
- Low Kick
- Copy cat

Yanmega - Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Supersonic
- Nightslash

Jigglypuff - Sing
- Doubleslap
- Rest
- Wake-up slap

The arena is in a competitor's gym, it is a generic gym, so there are no type advantages. The gym is packed with hundreds of people. It is up to you who is to win, and how that person wins.

Free Form:

It is up to you how you would like this battle to work and fan out.

---

If clarification is needed, feel free to point it out

I'd write my own now, but I must be off.
Old August 10th, 2009 (12:33 PM).
BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE
Lurker from the deep

Nature: Bashful
I have a question. So, we post our own battle (the Jeff vs. Jane one), and the next poster critiques?
Old August 10th, 2009 (02:58 PM).
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE View Post
I have a question. So, we post our own battle (the Jeff vs. Jane one), and the next poster critiques?
You could.

You could also critique another person's battle sample, as it does not have to be a specific one.

Also I'm going to add a 3rd pokemon on each team as I did not get all the time I wanted to finish it.
Old August 17th, 2009 (05:50 PM).
fordjon88
Beginning Hacker

Nature: Rash
Man I've had this problem as long as I can remember. Thanks for the setup I'll be sure to post my own battle soon

Sponsored Links