The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Of which feature would you like to see a short video?
A Storyline Event 44 39.64%
The Revamped Intro 18 16.22%
The Battle System 39 35.14%
Training 26 23.42%
The Laptop 21 18.92%
The Menu 13 11.71%
Pokemon World 39 35.14%
Move Selection 12 10.81%
Something Else (please state) 4 3.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Exiled~Shadow
Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vampire View Post
Moving on, I have a question to ask. Now, as you can already tell, I'm trying to make this game a bit more anime-ish, especially in the removal of Levels. But what about the stats?

Originally I was just going to use numbers, as per the usual Pokemon game. But I'm not sure anymore. In the anime, you wouldn't be able to put a number on how good your Charizard is at defending, would you? So maybe I should not include numbers?

Any Ideas?
Actually, in the anime Pokemon do have levels, try watching episode 9, season 1.

An untold tale of the high seas...
A tale of the dawn of exploration...
A tale that spans time...
A tale, never told before...

Pokémon: Age of Exploration
Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old August 19th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Yeah I do remember ash having pikachu checked and the woman said he was lvl 80 something.
Correct me if i am wrong.

And i would prefer the hero not to speak
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Exiled~Shadow
Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow

Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
Yeah I do remember ash having pikachu checked and the woman said he was lvl 80 something.
Correct me if i am wrong.

And i would prefer the hero not to speak
You must be thinking of a different episode to me :D in this one there at the trainer school and the kid keeps raving on about what moves pidgey learns at what levels and when it evolves.

An untold tale of the high seas...
A tale of the dawn of exploration...
A tale that spans time...
A tale, never told before...

Pokémon: Age of Exploration
Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for pointing that out, I never realised there were references to levels in the anime.
It's not going to change the concepts for this game though, as even if there are levels in the anime then they're not visible anyways.

According to this screenshot, I've left my Bulbasaur and Metapod training in different dojos. (Different dojos = different stat bonuses). Looks like its going to take a while before Bulbasaur completes his Speed Training though, .
[The stronger the Pokemon in whichever stat you're training it, the longer it takes to complete it's workout)

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Miralci
Beginning Trainer

VERY nice =D I love the laptop system and the Pokémon selection screen.<3 I would however include the names of the Pokémon...

About the hero speaking or not... Well I think you can have better dialogues if you let the hero reply...
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
For the Hero speaking, I could see something like they use in the game, Knights of the Old Republic, being cool.

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Neiko Star
Dancing rain

Nature: Impish
Well, I was always annoyed that my character was mute. Especially in Mystery Dungeon. What kind of person/Pokemon communicate by scratching the ground with their feet? I would like it if the main character could talk.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Thanks for your opinions guys.

Old August 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Just noticed the status in the screenshot last posted.
Can you bring them to a Pokécenter to fully heal instantly or do you have to leave them off?
Nice feature adding that in by the way. It will be an interesting factor to remember while playing the game.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
Just noticed the status in the screenshot last posted.
Can you bring them to a Pokécenter to fully heal instantly or do you have to leave them off?
Nice feature adding that in by the way. It will be an interesting factor to remember while playing the game.
Any Pokemon you want healed, you leave at a Pokecentre, and the healing won't be instant. If it's only HP then generally it won't take very long. But other things such as injuries/illness can take a while.

It may seem like a put-off, having to wait, but when you consider the fact that Trainer Battles are refuseable (and thus you don't have to go wading through a small army of them on route to the next town) then its not such a nuisance.

The previous two screenshots have been showing the Live Update part of the Laptop. This allows you to check on the pokemon you've left in Dojos and Pokecentres, and see a rough idea of how long it'll take until they've finished their training/are fully healed.

That's what the green bars represent in the last screenshot. It's going to take quite a while for Pidgey's wing to heal.

It also tells you in which Pokecentre/Dojo you've left the Pokemon. Again, this may seem like a nuisance if you left your Pikachu all the way back in the first Pokecentre you came across, but you also have to take into account that you can Fly from the beginning of the game - well as soon as you catch a Pokemon capable of carrying you anyways.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

Nature: Modest
i like the idea that the hero can talk and choose his own path - it makes the game very interesting. i hate the way that your path is set, its just not exciting. Keep up the good work and i hope to see a demo soon!

btw, you should put updates on your progress on the main post
EDIT- Whoops didnt see it at the botom lol
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenmw View Post
i like the idea that the hero can talk and choose his own path - it makes the game very interesting. i hate the way that your path is set, its just not exciting. Keep up the good work and i hope to see a demo soon!

btw, you should put updates on your progress on the main post
EDIT- Whoops didnt see it at the botom lol
That's another vote for talking then.
In regards to a demo, that's still a way off yet, but I'll probably be uploading a video soon, to break up the monotomy of screenshots.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

To make the game MORE unique than it already is, will you have certain characters (based on popularity) be able to travel with you, or have a girlfriend(XD what the hell am I saying). I think you could add somethings along those lines Oh and I think the hero should speak
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

sounds good. just wondering- what part of the game is the video going to be showing? or is that a surprise

i like the idea of certain characters traveling with you/girlfriend, but will they have pokemon? then you could have a 2v2 where you only control 1 pokemon
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

Quote:
sounds good. just wondering- what part of the game is the video going to be showing? or is that a surprise

i like the idea of certain characters traveling with you/girlfriend, but will they have pokemon? then you could have a 2v2 where you only control 1 pokemon
lol idk i didn't think that far. would be fun though
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorLeagueGamer View Post
To make the game MORE unique than it already is, will you have certain characters (based on popularity) be able to travel with you, or have a girlfriend(XD what the hell am I saying). I think you could add somethings along those lines Oh and I think the hero should speak
I can't say too much on this as I don't want to spoil the storyline.
Spoiler:
While you don't exactly get a girlfriend (it's not really a road I want to explore in this game), you will become close friends with someone who is a girl. In fact it's integral to one of the storylines.

Quote:
sounds good. just wondering- what part of the game is the video going to be showing? or is that a surprise It's a surprise, mainly because I haven't decided yet.

I'm not saying anything on this at the moment. Too spoiler-ish.

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

Quote:
While you don't exactly get a girlfriend (it's not really a road I want to explore in this game), you will become close friends with someone who is a girl. In fact it's integral to one of the storylines.
sounds like a girlfriend to me.. lol (unless its your mom..)
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

I have a question though it might be dubbed spoiler-ish. So I'll ask it anyway, how will your pokemon evolve if there is no lvl system? Is it when the learn a certain attack?
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
sounds like a girlfriend to me.. lol (unless its your mom..)
lol... no its not your mom. And I just meant not-girlfriend as in no making-out, no dates, etc, just close friends.

Quote:
I have a question though it might be dubbed spoiler-ish. So I'll ask it anyway, how will your pokemon evolve if there is no lvl system? Is it when the learn a certain attack?
Evolution will happen in many different ways, and I'd like for it to be mostly up to the player to work out, but some of the contributing factors could be:
  • Age of the Pokemon
  • The Pokemon's Stats
  • The Pokemon's Personality
  • How they are treated
  • How they are trained
Etc.

I'll probably include a guide with the release for anyone who wants to find out the easy way.

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

Okay cool! The more I talk and learn about it the more I wanna play
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

i like that evolution... i mean just making a pokemon be your slave wont make it want to evolve. if your were to make a guide, have it cover most of the gameplay
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
The more I talk and learn about it the more I wanna play
The more I talk about it, the more I wanna play it lol

Quote:
i like that evolution... i mean just making a pokemon be your slave wont make it want to evolve.
Yeah, I mean you can always try to force it to evolve, and you may succeed, but the long-term consequences will most of the time far outweigh the gain.

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

there are consequences for forcing it to evolve?
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
oldenmw
so i herd u liek mudkipz

im excited to see this put together, i am also wondering about the consequences. are you saying that the non-evolved pokemon are stronger than the evolved forms?
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
MajorLeagueGamer

Quote:
im excited to see this put together, i am also wondering about the consequences. are you saying that the non-evolved pokemon are stronger than the evolved forms?
I think he's saying that you might not learn their ultimate moves or that they will disobey you...i think.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links