The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino View Post
Hi people! You have invisible jackets in your club???? Maybe fedoras too? Darn I now know I have to finish "Sixth"! :D
I'm wearing my fedora. *starts smoking in a cool, casual, calm manner*

Anyways everyone, glad to hear you all have a good time with your entries and interesting you all tried something new for this contest. Have to say, I enjoyed the ones I read so far and looking forward to reading the ones I didn't get too yet!

Also solovino, looking forward to the Bold Topics index!

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Caliban
Trying to change my life, brb~

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
My friend always gets high and goes on bout random s***. Quite funny to see.
I spout random s*** without getting high.

Hey, look! There's a strange blurry stain on the carpet! Mum will be annoyed...
*trips over invisible person in smoking jacket and fedora (also invisible)*

Ow! I'm calling the cops!
Hang on, how do I get an invisible person arrested? Maybe I'll just have to get the officer to trip ov- woah!
*turns around and trips over person again*
Ow! I need glasses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg is vaguely amusing.

Is anyone else confused by the synchronised "Mm-hm"s and sweatdrops in anime?

[EDIT:] Bold topics index? Wow!
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay View Post
I'm wearing my fedora. ;)
I see your fedora, and raise you mine. *kicks back with an air of such coolness that it's been outlawed in fifty-five states*

Also, upon reading my contest entry, I found a bunch of mistakes that are simply killing me. There was one where I thought I had left something absolutely vital out, but it seems I added it in while formatting my PM, so that put off imminent cardiac arrest for at least a few minutes. Otherwise, though, I made a bunch of grammar mistakes that I really shouldn't have, and I didn't end it quite the way I want to end it now. Suppose this is what I get for typing over half of the thing in the three hours between waking up and working today.

Oh yeah. Final word count: 1725; pages: just onto five. Wow. I must have hit enter a lot. Which I did, but I didn't realize I'd done it that much.

Last edited by txteclipse; August 25th, 2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fliggin' smilies
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
I see your fedora, and raise you mine. *kicks back with an air of such coolness that it's been outlawed in fifty-five states*

Also, upon reading my contest entry, I found a bunch of mistakes that are simply killing me. There was one where I thought I had left something absolutely vital out, but it seems I added it in while formatting my PM, so that put off imminent cardiac arrest for at least a few minutes. Otherwise, though, I made a bunch of grammar mistakes that I really shouldn't have, and I didn't end it quite the way I want to end it now.
Lol, I know what you mean, I made some quick edits, whilst in PM mode. Though I did add some crucial portions the word program when I noticed something should be there.
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Gez Mizan are you hyped up on sugar? Cause it seems like it.
Spoiler:

Or are you high?

Please let it be a sugar rush.

Damn everyone posting faster then me
Nah, I'm fasting.

Quote:
EDIT: Would not a sadist and a masochist be the perfect couple?
Yes it would but imagine sadist and sadist:

I enjoyed this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay
I'm wearing my fedora.
*wears own black fedora* Everyone's doing it. Casually looks at the FFL with an air of coolness and possible sadism.

@Solovino: Looking forward to the Bold Topics Index
Quote:
My friend always gets high and goes on bout random s***. Quite funny to see.
When you're in a serious group conversation, randomly spout out a random word. The more obscure and stupid the word the better.

eg.
A=I'm worried about Global Warming
B=Me too, did you know...
C=*walks in* Dr. Seuss! *walks away*
A & B= WTF was that?!
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Feign
Clain

Okay, no one kill me... But to better able myself in self-criticizing (among other things), Twilight, I decided to read the online version...

So far I am on the 13th (of 240) page, and already I want to stab my eyes out... It IS that bad... I maybe found one good sentence in there that makes sense...

So far, Bella is either cutting herself or lying to herself, or semi happy. If she had said she was using prozac, or some other drug, then perhaps I would have excused it...
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Haha lol

And check it out, I've got my own fedora. It's purple
pretty colour.......

Oh and Mizan, as repayment for looking over my fic, I looked over yours and found no mistakes.

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Holy dang, does everyone here have a fedora? Yet another thing to make this lounge crazier. Mine's blue <3

Here's a question: does everyone who entered the small writing contest plan on posting their piece as-is, or will you edit first? Much as I'd like to preserve the spirit of the thing, I probably won't be willing to put mine up in its raw state, so I believe there will be some alterations on my part. Perhaps I'll spoiler the original version in my thread or something.

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Feign
Clain

I'll leave mine as is. While I don't think I've got all the mistakes fixed, I'd want to have others see on how it really was judged.

Going to bed X_x 3:44 am
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Night, it's only 7:46 pm here in Australia.

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
It depends if I can be bothered. I hate editing, as I usually make sure it's exactly as I want it during my first and only draft. It usually makes thing quicker for me, but might not flow as well.

I'd like to fix up from about 1500 words onwards, as I picked up the pace and cut parts out of what was supposed to be the focal point of the story. Hell, the section from whence the story aquires its name is around 500 words long. I'm disappointed by the title, though. =/
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:09 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
*grumbles about the fact that he has tests still going on and hence didn't have time for the writing comp, but would by the weekend*

...ah well, not much of a loss, I suppose. Would have been a good excuse to write that one-shot up finally though which had to do with time... but in a far less original manner. XD And more cracky (kinda) and certainly less morbid than what your stories seem to be like. =P

Looks like though that with the fics from this, and the fics from sppf's contest.... there's going to be a HECK of a lot to read soon. =D Cheers to the judges as well for imprisoning themselves under those fics. =P (Particularly Bay - your nickname should be 'The Judge' now =P).

*recalls he still has tests to worry about and disappears again*

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D
Community Supporter Tier 4

Since it was decided that we give you guys full reviews, you should all know that the winners won't decided for a while. Back when I was reviewing fic it took me a couple days to do a chapter. There are 20 entries. So yeah, don't expect anything this week. That is all.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy View Post
Since it was decided that we give you guys full reviews, you should all know that the winners won't decided for a while. Back when I was reviewing fic it took me a couple days to do a chapter. There are 20 entries. So yeah, don't expect anything this week. That is all.
Did my entry make it in time? Or did those few minutes disqualify my entry because if so, damn the time zone converter I use.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Mizan, it was a few minutes late, but Gummy decides to let it slide, so your entry is accepted.

And yeah, like Gummy said. I'll try my best to get the reviews done (I'm like halfway done with the entries already), but I also want to really finish the last two entries from the Serebii contest, so I'll probably go back and forth between them and take breaks when I need them. Haha, I have loads of summer reading to do. XD;

Real quick- luckily the entries didn't take me long to read and I'm able to write out the reviews already. Guess it's cause I already know what I want to say what I like and what needs work with the entries (that's actually how I'll grade the Literary Elements section, but I know Gummy and Asinus will grade that part differently). Also, from me reviewing for the Serebii contest, so I guess I got some reviewing practice done. XD

(the Get Together threads will be gone on September 7th and I need to get the reviews done for the Serebii one by September 12, so I got a lot of late nighters for me D: )

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay View Post
Mizan, it was a few minutes late, but Gummy decides to let it slide, so your entry is accepted.

And yeah, like Gummy said. I'll try my best to get the reviews done (I'm like halfway done with the entries already), but I also want to really finish the last two entries from the Serebii contest, so I'll probably go back and forth between them and take breaks when I need them. Haha, I have loads of summer reading to do. XD;

Real quick- luckily the entries didn't take me long to read and I'm able to write out the reviews already. Guess it's cause I already know what I want to say what I like and what needs work with the entries (that's actually how I'll grade the Literary Elements section, but I know Gummy and Asinus will grade that part differently). Also, from me reviewing for the Serebii contest, so I guess I got some reviewing practice done. XD

(the Get Together threads will be gone on September 7th and I need to get the reviews done for the Serebii one by September 12, so I got a lot of late nighters for me D: )
Thanks. :D
I don't really expect to win with all the competition but it's fun joining the thing anyway. BTW take your time and don't stress yourselves.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Any way to get the participants list updated in the Get Together thread or over here, possibly with an asterisk or some other indicator next to the names so we'll know whose been reviewed yet?

Also, *casually inserts self into missed conversation*
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D

Meh, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I'd have to be in contact contact with Bay and Astinus to make sure they've reviewed the story, then I have to see if I reviewed it myself. I also want to avoid anyone asking for their score before all the stories are reviewed and scored.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy View Post
Meh, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I'd have to be in contact contact with Bay and Astinus to make sure they've reviewed the story, then I have to see if I reviewed it myself. I also want to avoid anyone asking for their score before all the stories are reviewed and scored.
Just names then? The list is pretty devoid of all the participants, and since all the entries were sent to you you should know.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D

Oh yes, I'll update the list, just not indicate which are finished.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Feign
Clain

Okay so new bold topic wooo:

What literary device(good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?

I like to use Pathetic Fallacy the most

And as much as I like to hamper the protagonist, I wouldn't go as far as using Tragic Flaw.

I'd like to write more of paradoxes and ironies.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
I like to use Pathetic Fallacy the most
So... Your male characters have small sexual organs?

What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Tragic Flaw is probably one of mine. All my characters possess some emotional issue stemming from either parental abuse/neglect or their own self-obsessive flaws that hold them back, and they only overcome at the moment they decide 'Enough!', but which are too scared to really push the issue until the very end.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
So... Your male characters have small sexual organs?

What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Tragic Flaw is probably one of mine. All my characters possess some emotional issue stemming from either parental abuse/neglect or their own self-obsessive flaws that hold them back, and they only overcome at the moment they decide 'Enough!', but which are too scared to really push the issue until the very end.
I'm not sure what you mean by the first statement

And I think Tragic Flaw means that they'd die in the end (similar to even Macbeth's demise).

Ooo another one I'd like to use more often though is Poetic Justice.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the first statement

And I think Tragic Flaw means that they'd die in the end (similar to even Macbeth's demise).

Ooo another one I'd like to use more often though is Poetic Justice.
Pathetic F/Phallacy...

That is the main definition of "Tragic Flaw", and though I did mean another term (which escapes me), Tragic Flaw still remains because my characters must undergo a metamorphoses that could kill them... They could die or live, depending on their will, and if they do survive, they will have died anyways by "killing" their former self.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
Pathetic F/Phallacy...

That is the main definition of "Tragic Flaw", and though I did mean another term (which escapes me), Tragic Flaw still remains because my characters must undergo a metamorphoses that could kill them... They could die or live, depending on their will, and if they do survive, they will have died anyways by "killing" their former self.
i see wat u did thar

To clarify, TVtropes is basically a huge version of literary devices (among other things), is this correct?

Sponsored Links