The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations. The pathetic fallacy is a special case of the fallacy of reification. The word 'pathetic' in this use is related to 'empathy' (capability of feeling), and is not pejorative.
I guess I use that...although it's odd that you guys have it as a central theme.

What I really love to use, however, is hamartia, a.k.a tragic flaw. All of my main characters have one, and most of my secondary characters, at that.

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
I suck at literary devices. XD;

Well, I think creative license would be it. I used real life historical references like the Crusades and the Imperial Era to hit home the importance of knowing your history. Not only that, I also referenced events from the later Pokemon movies in context with the Sinnoh legends argument mentioned in NE many times.

I would love to do dramatic irony more. Haha, in NE I love how the readers know who done this and such already, but the characters don't. It's even more funnier that their guesses (the characters) are way offfffffffff.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]

Last edited by Bay Alexison; August 25th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Hmm, according to that list, "setting" is a literary device, and I make great use of that. I also like tragic flaws, although, interestingly enough, my main character has no tragic flaw: he's just a person who lived an upper class life and now is thrust into a situation where he must fight (which has all kinds of mini-flaws attached to it, like cowardice and gullibility).
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
I'd have to say Anthropomorphism. The Protagonist in my fic an hear Pokemon talking, therefore it is shown that they have personalities and are not merely dumb animals. I don't use the actual form of humans in Pokemon(except in one case but that's different) but I retain their original form and only change the way they talk.

Also interested in Tragedy which will come into play I assure you. And Tragic Flaw. One of my protagonists greatest flaws is the fact that he has lost his memory. Other than that, he's a sadist(deep down inside) and almost a Nihilist to the point of ignoring Morality to a certain extent. This will come into play unless i change it... He does feel guilt, pain, and suffering but he feels it on a different level to that of regular people.
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I like characters the most, and the plot obviously. And dialogue. As for what I like the least, there really isn't one on that list.

I want to write more PLOT.

This question is bugging me for some reason.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
txteclipse
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Sure it's not just your avatar?

Pandora is wonderful. Writer's block is not. Nor is boredom. Nor is painting steps. Making money is, however. Not getting to spend it isn't, though.

Old August 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
txteclipse
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post

Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
Well, new things are typically immediately classified. 9, a new movie coming out soon about living sackcloth dolls, has been classified as "stitchpunk," a term coined for it and the short it's based on.

Old August 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz

Ugh, I don't know, I just write what comes to mind and keep rewriting it till it sounds exactly perfect.

Also I suck at Literacy Devices because I din't listen in English last year when we learnt about them :P

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

Like really annoyed.

I just want this week over.

Last edited by Astinus; August 25th, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:

Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form... Since archetypes are inherent to being human, and literary devices are archetypes applied, then the only way to avoid them is to not be human.

Manage that, and you got yourself a story lacking (human) literary devices... But then you'd have the literary devices developed from alien archetypes.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
txteclipse
Zero

Quote:
I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

Like really annoyed.

I just want this week over.
Our contest entries can't be that bad, can they? I don't really think about the building blocks of my writing, I just kind of type wherever my mind leads me. Upon review I can point out devices that I used, but I'm not like "oh, I'm going to use this device here!" I don't structure myself a lot, is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Quote:
Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...
I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar
Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...
I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.
I think this is where Astinus and others are bothered by the use of "Literary Device" in the prompt, which I wholly agree with and feel I can explain.

A more proper term for what I was explaining would probably be "Literary Elements". No matter what you do, there's always going to be a plot and a character. Those are simply inherent to writing.

Now, the difference between literary elements and literary devices are how those elements are used. A plot is always present, but story isn't (Plot = frame, Story = form). A character is always present, but characterization isn't.

Literary Devices are like a vehicle which carries the basic plot and expresses it as something more than simply beginning, middle, end. They're something a bad writer leaves out, a good writer simply includes, and an exceptional writer weaves into the very fabric of the piece.

Literary elements, which are few, will always be there and most likely have been entirely described. But the devices, the vehicle the writer uses in expressing those elements, are still something a writer can spend a lifetime crafting and developing and never find them all.

Last edited by Redstar; August 26th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Hey, did anyone else happen to notice that (according to this webpage, but yes, in general as well) the term "literary device" is just an umbrella term for things that also include devices and techniques, meaning elements and techniques are devices but just subsets in the same way a falcon is a hawk but not necessarily vice versa?

I'd continue this snarky response except my sugarmama over there kinda stole the rest of this train of thought before it even happened.

With that said, I'm back from a two-week vacation, I'm jet-lagged, and I was reminded yet again why airports make me want to set kittens on fire. I'm also tl;dr'ing the majority of what you all posted during my absence for hopefully understandable reasons, so I'm just going to assume you all went wild with the metaphoric fire extinguisher and go catch up on the other threads I need to read. *salutes*

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Hey there, Valentine! Hoped you enjoyed your vacation. :3

Yeah, I did notice, but not exactly sure why literary elements and literary devices have to be distinguish and they sound similar, but at the same time, not. O.o

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

;; I squeaked in happiness.

And I noticed. But didn't say anything for some reason or another.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Welcome back Val. :D
Yep, I noticed that too but I didn't think it was that relevant to the current conversation.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Well you know what they say:

You learn something new everyday.

And welcome back Val, hope you had a nice trip.

I like flying myself, means something new for me (traveling away), and yearning to come home (on the way back). But it is nice to not have to live out of a luggage bag... (did that for 9 months).

You know, I really gotta start saving up for it, but I want to go to New Zealand. And not just travel there, but live there...

By the by, playing Arkham Asylum on X-box 360 is fun.

Okay new bold topic that doesn't involve ambiguous words (or at least I hope not, haha):

When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?

I haven't really given myself the opportunity to do so (aside from some attempted RP setting which didn't work to well). Anyway, for the future, however, I'd probably try to include places similar to that of Indonesia, and the Outback and Tasmania in Australia, even a bit of urban-ness if need be, for Perth.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
Well no not really since I don't do that much traveling. The only country I've ever travelled to aside from my home country would have to be England. I do however, include settings from places I've seen on the Internet.XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D
From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.

That said...

Occasionally, but I always feel weird when I consciously base something off my own experiences. (No particular reason why. I just do.) Instead, I usually try to go for pictures of places I haven't gone or just make things up out of pure thin air.

Need some light reading?
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.
I'm not confusing anything. We don't need to make two simple terms more confusing then they need to be, when when we get down to the basics of it all what really matters are the messages they express, not the semantics.

Literary elements, as stated by that site and me, are the common aspects of stories that are always present whether you try or not. Literary devices are how you use said elements... A device is an object used to complete a task, so if we think of literary devices as a vehicle for expressing literary elements, then how you drive said vehicle/device would be technique. The terms are one and the same.

Last edited by Redstar; August 26th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidentally), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
No. I like settings to be unfamiliar and new. Characters I'll tend to base off familiar characteristics, but not setting. :P
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
I'm not confusing anything. I think of literary devices and techniques as the same thing.
The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.

Need some light reading?
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.
Look above. I expanded my post and clarified what I meant.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here