The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I wasn't implying that there's a problem with the question in its current form. My point of that post was to say that I'm not sure why you were saying that "humorous" meant "simple".

icomeanon had covered what was wrong with the first version of your question when he posted. You changed the question into something more believable. Still, I took issue with the fact that you said that "humorous writing means that the writing isn't as stiff". I took that to mean that writers who use a casual tone in their work wrote humorous stories, which simply isn't true.

Your question is fine, and wasn't the focus of my post. That saying was. And the only reason why I commented on the first edition of your question was because it related to what I was talking about.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
Or even when the right words are used.

This entire discussion makes me want to bring up Jonathan Swift now, if only because every discussion needs to bring up the fact that a few centuries ago he wrote an entire political pamphlet about eating babies, and that's just hilarious. (Although what really makes this funnier is that people took him seriously.) And, of course, who can forget that lovely part of Gulliver's Travels when he gets drunk and puts out a fire in Lilliput by peeing on it? Immature, yeah, but so very Jack Black.

(Really, I just wanted to bring this all up because I think it's hilarious. I'm not even really trying to prove a point here. Although I do believe Swift would fall into the "archaic" category, even if it was technically just the way people wrote back then.)

The only way I can think of to rephrase this question is probably by saying something along the lines of how people have been answering it:

Do you make an effort to make your prose sound flowery and intellectual, do you dumb it down, or do you simply write whichever way comes natural to you?

Of course, this is just a suggestion.
Reminds me of a non-fictional book I just bought recently (haven't had the time to fully read it, but did skim through it in the store). It is Richard Wilson's Don't Get Fooled Again.

Basically a book about propaganda and other means of deception. I'm pretty critical on his opinion on the matter (or rather will be), but I was reminded of the Stanford Prison Experiment.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Eh. Maybe he has a different definition for 'humourous'. I sometimes use it to describe someone that is very emotionally balanced, but one thing that almost never happens can upset them completely and turn them into harsh characters.

It's possible he has his own definition, but I can't imagine any way he could do so.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
I think I'll go with Val's suggestion. Thanks.

Do you make an effort to make your prose/work sound flowery and intellectual, do you dumb it down, or do you simply write whichever way comes natural to you?

Quote:
Eh. Maybe he has a different definition for 'humourous'. I sometimes use it to describe someone that is very emotionally balanced, but one thing that almost never happens can upset them completely and turn them into harsh characters.

It's possible he has his own definition, but I can't imagine any way he could do so.
Actually, my definition of humourous that I don't expect any of you to take seriously(because I'm stating it here for the hell of it) is something that does not sound overly complicated and can at least induce a state of leisure/relax in some people. And yes, by humourous I guess you could say casual.
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

This could just be me digging this in further, but let me just say that if you do have a different definition for a word that isn't the norm, like with "humor" meaning "something that causes a relaxed feeling in people", then explanation is really needed to avoid confusion.

See, because a lot of people see the word "humor" in terms of writing, and thing that we're all talking about something that's funny. (Scanning over the posts here shows that to me.) When someone comes in and changes the definition of the word to something that isn't the norm, or means something different than what is expected, more explanation is given. Like if I was to use what's considered the archaic definition of "humorous" and mean "prone to erratic behavior". I wouldn't just say "He's humorous", and expect people to understand fully what I mean. I would also add an extra bit of information to avoid confusion.

That's where my confusion came from with this question. Because, Mizan, you meant something completely different by the word "humorous", which caused people to misunderstand your question. A little bit of your definition included in your original question would not have caused all this.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Well that's fairly obvious. We're just discussing this from a literary standpoint, but in an actual story it'd be different... It all depends on context. I'm not going to use my definition of humourous unless it was a fantasy/historical fiction piece, or a work with a similar theme. If you're reading a book like that, it should be obvious what you mean when saying any given word.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
This could just be me digging this in further, but let me just say that if you do have a different definition for a word that isn't the norm, like with "humor" meaning "something that causes a relaxed feeling in people", then explanation is really needed to avoid confusion.

See, because a lot of people see the word "humor" in terms of writing, and thing that we're all talking about something that's funny. (Scanning over the posts here shows that to me.) When someone comes in and changes the definition of the word to something that isn't the norm, or means something different than what is expected, more explanation is given. Like if I was to use what's considered the archaic definition of "humorous" and mean "prone to erratic behavior". I wouldn't just say "He's humorous", and expect people to understand fully what I mean. I would also add an extra bit of information to avoid confusion.

That's where my confusion came from with this question. Because, Mizan, you meant something completely different by the word "humorous", which caused people to misunderstand your question. A little bit of your definition included in your original question would not have caused all this.
Yes it was a bit of IRL confusion. I blame the sub-par english teaching standard of most Malaysian public schools. Old habits die hard.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place

Last edited by Mizan de la Plume Kuro; August 30th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Do you make an effort to make your prose/work sound flowery and intellectual, do you dumb it down, or do you simply write whichever way comes natural to you?

Given that the question has evolved somewhat, I will re-answer it.

I treat fanfiction like a playground. It's one of my few artistic outlets, so I have a natural tendency to wax eloquent with all of the creative energy I have pent up. It's fun for me to find new words, try new sentence structures, and generally be creative with my writing. I have pulled in the reigns with things like scientific terms, but that's more because even I would be bored out of my mind with an overly-abundant use of that type of stuff.

Old August 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
wtfhloser
Beginning Trainer

im trying to use a trainer but i need a tutorial anybody have one?
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:59 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfhloser View Post
im trying to use a trainer but i need a tutorial anybody have one?
Err... Is this related to Fanfiction in anyway. Are you making an OT fic because then we would be happy to help. :D
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
To expound on what Mizan said, in case you don't know what an OT fic is, what exactly do you mean by "trying to use a trainer"? If you're writing a work of fanfiction and are struggling to incorporate a certain trainer into your work, or are struggling to develop your own trainer, you need to clarify this.
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Like I said in the last question, I don't make any attempt to cloak my writing unless I say 'had' three times in a row or have grammar/spelling errors or something. Apparently, this results in more humor in the story than originally intended, which I am just fine with. I can write serious on occasion, but I need to listen to depressing songs on loop for a few hours and have my grandmother hospitalized for a week because of a gall stone (spluttercoughwhichishappeningrightnowcoughwheeze) for me to be so depressed for that to be the result.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
How's about a new topic since we've kinda beaten this last one to death with rewrites and trying to figure out what it means?

Okay, so. Because I recently did this cute little meme on LJ and because I'd like to shamelessly pimp that one thread further down this forum, I'm taking the concepts and modifying them to create this:

Name currently active members of the FFL (as many as you'd like). Okay, now what would you most like to see them write? (Name as many ideas as you'd like, keeping in mind the writer's usual style/past works/whatever.)

The people named are free to ignore your answer, to be amused by it, to answer it, or to run with it like Forrest Gump on speed. Have fun.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"

Name currently active members of the FFL (as many as you'd like). Okay, now what would you most like to see them write? (Name as many ideas as you'd like, keeping in mind the writer's usual style/past works/whatever.)

wtfhloser - Just write down whatever comes to mind, it should be amusing.

txty - GitS crossover, please!

Asty - I'd like to see Ender use Dr. Device on the Sinnoh region, under the impression that he was just playing on his DS.

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place) (New!)

Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Since I'm currently "wtf-ing" over a post in this thread, I'll ignore it here, and move on.

Quote:
Asty - I'd like to see Ender use Dr. Device on the Sinnoh region, under the impression that he was just playing on his DS.
Will do. Just remember that with pretty much all of my Enderverse fics, an original character is going to make an appearance. He just won't go away. Which is what happens when he's attached to the main character physically. Badumpsh!*

As for my answer to the bold topic: I still think someone should write the sequel to the only fic of theirs that I reviewed.

Last edited by Astinus; August 31st, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

I don't think I know you guys well enough to answer that question. :C
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy

Let's see...

icomeanon6: Sequel to your parody fic.

Valentine: that one Chosen Fic plot bunny you posted on your LJ a while ago (the one with the guy wearing purple...something XD)

Astinus: Do a one shot with the other two legendary beasts being interviewed like how you did with Raikou

And because I want to see what people can come up for me, keep in mind I write mostly comedy and suspense.

(I'll edit this post if I can think more )

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
How long have I been gone?? Fortunately for me I have an excuse

I just PM'ed Asty about the bold topics index thing and included a sample. It seems to me that Astinus likes it enough to give me a go, so if I am lucky and correct some small mistakes, the bold topics index, at least the first half of 2009, will soon be a reality.

(Yes, the "Lounge Crazy Moments" will be there too, I have to just pick'em well...)

Then again, I have been away of the Lounge since the... discussion back there. More focused on Serebii now (*is hit by a brick*) but I think I'm back for the time being.

Also, on the current bolded topics.

Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in a humourous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand without much difficulty.
Serious, whenever I can: I can't write "humorous".

My prose, it sounds intellectual, yet I make no effort towards it... unfortunately. It's one of these writing deficiencies I have to try to solve, I have to struggle to simplify (not "dumb down", which is another thing) my writing. EVen here it seems I'm still not crazy enough after almost one year of FFL'ing... Oh I hope I soon learn to write fairy tales...

The concept of "currently active members" sounds to me like "Lounge regulars": smething that scares me...

Oooohh nice.

Aurincha: more Secret People!!!! *is hit by Thor's mace*

Feign: I would like to see your PokéZombies work continuing... it was very interesting to read.

Giratina of Never-Turn-Back: a Lugia or Ho-oh (or Lugia+Ho-oh) one-shot in the same narrative style as Indebted, but of course plot at your own discretion.

icomeanon6: a short story, parody or "humorous" in nature, making fun of a Generation I or II glitch. Any of them... just for the lulz.

txteclipse: a short Pokémon/MegaMan Zero style story like what was done with R-9WM.
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

I was going to do a one-shot about that in celebration of Soul Silver anyway. :3 But yay, I get to use my self insert Giratina more!
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Feign
Clain

Kekeke I think I might try for another disaster someday, though I did leave my current Zombie fic open...

Valentine: I'd like to see something absurdly funny, so funny in fact I'd be coughing up my drink on the computer monitor. XD

Asti: A one shot of a romantic get-away between two Pokemon trainers on a beach (just because I thought of it just now).

Solvino: A poem on 'what if Aristotle had a pokemon' (to go along with the Shakespeare one I made)

Bay: Use of the following prompts in a fic or one shot or poem: Bartender, math equation, Tubular Bells, Mew-Two, and a Poetic Death scene.

Citrinin: A parody about a psychotic inmate, jailed for experimenting on pokemon.

Giratina of Never-turn back: Hmmm well because you are still sort of new here, or rather I don't know you as well, I'd recommend a one shot of a fic that starts off with a funeral that goes wrong (everything from the coffin falling out of the car, to an assasination attempt at said funeral.

Last edited by Feign; August 31st, 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added more people
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

[moans] I just got such a totally awesome scene in my mind for poetic death scene... I can't put anything else in this post because I answered the question at hand. |C Oh well, back to cursing Fog and kicking tail with my Rotom.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign
A parody about a psychotic inmate, jailed for experimenting on pokemon.
I'm intrigued by this challenge. But I don't get the "parody" component - namely, what original work would I be mocking? :s
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin View Post
I'm intrigued by this challenge. But I don't get the "parody" component - namely, what original work would I be mocking? :s
A parody of psychological thrillers of course

And to legitimize it, bring in some Pokemon. XD
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Oh, right, a parody of the genre. XD

In all honesty, I doubt I'd be able to do that. :P
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin View Post
Oh, right, a parody of the genre. XD

In all honesty, I doubt I'd be able to do that.
Heh >.> The only thing I can come up with atm, is a hypeactive mentally unstable clown.

Sponsored Links