• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] He who is Merely a Rumour

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
I liked this line :D
Thanks. ^^

Feign said:
This might have been explained a while ago, but are humans able to understand pokemon? But in the case above, it would seem it could be excused as the two interpreting Gliscor's facial expressions (for example) as spoken words.
Yes - it was explained in Chapter Eleven. Part of the perils of reading a fic that you have waiting periods between chapters. :P

Me said:
In that time, Charlotte and Bevan had trained, and Bevan and his Pokémon had become closer. They were less distant and more friendly. It was something Bevan was delighted with, that these creatures which had been vilified by the press as dangerous and uncontrollable could be his friends.

Understanding Pokémon was an interesting challenge: as Bevan spent more time with his Pokémon, he understood them more. He could not analyse their grammar or vocabulary, but it was the odd feeling of just knowing, without knowing the reason.

Feign said:
I wonder if Bevan's relationship with his pokemon will improve, such as like only fighting for him, and being proud of it. Like that they wouldn't have to be concerned about the outside world. (or perhaps this response is too typical in the pokemon world?)
You'll just have to wait and see~ ;D

Feign said:
It is interesting to see flaws in Dagger's character.
Yes. Up until now he'd been portrayed as a basically perfect assassin committed only to an ideal, not himself. It was important that I show some flaws come through for several reasons, one of which I won't reveal, because it spoils a future development. But by revealing a fundamental hypocrisy in his thinking (that others should die for his cause but he shouldn't), we see that he is less anti-hero and more villain.

Thanks for the review, Feign. ^^

EDIT: Hooray, 200 replies~ :D

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
One could almost say then that he is one step away from The Dark Knight Joker's anarchy view, that even in the chaos, he is no "bigger" than anyone else. Especially evident in the two-face scene where joker gives him a gun.

Human nature is a vastly interesting topic.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Indeed it is. And Dagger is a vastly interesting character that I've fleshed out in my head. You will get to see what made him who he is, and a glimpse of it in the next chapter, even.

But he doesn't take the Joker's view in the Dark Knight. He may appear like that to those within the Oligarchy, who know only a regime of strict control and tyranny, but first and foremost, he wants to dismantle the Oligarchy. Of course, he gives into his human affections at times, like self-preservation, as we saw in the last chapter, that does hurt his cause. But I can say now that Dagger believes in neither anarchy nor chaos/anomy (of which there is a distinction), but exactly what he intends to replace the Oligarchy with will be revealed later.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Indeed it is. And Dagger is a vastly interesting character that I've fleshed out in my head. You will get to see what made him who he is, and a glimpse of it in the next chapter, even.

But he doesn't take the Joker's view in the Dark Knight. He may appear like that to those within the Oligarchy, who know only a regime of strict control and tyranny, but first and foremost, he wants to dismantle the Oligarchy. Of course, he gives into his human affections at times, like self-preservation, as we saw in the last chapter, that does hurt his cause. But I can say now that Dagger believes in neither anarchy nor chaos/anomy (of which there is a distinction), but exactly what he intends to replace the Oligarchy with will be revealed later.

Thought as much. XD

I can't say the villains in my fic are anything extra-ordinary however. But you've mentioned before that your uncle was a psychology nut, so I bet that helps. :)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
It does. And that allows me to explore the psychology of my characters quite deeply, an element that my fic relies quite heavily on. :P

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Deus ex machina: Invasion of the body snatchers, and the fic takes and odd turn. XD

Psychological thrillers are indeed a lot of fun to write. Currently I am reading a book about deception and propaganda.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I can make a declaration that you may quote me on and hold me to: there will be no Deus Ex Machina in He who is Merely a Rumour. ;]

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
After reading the latest chapter and then that quote from chapter 11 that you posted, I think I've got a theory as to how Bevan can understand his Pokemon.

Spoiler:

I may be completely wrong.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I'm afraid you are. :( After all, Charlotte can understand them as well.

It's like off the anime, where the trainers can understand what their Pokémon are saying. As I said in Chapter Eleven,
me said:
In that time, Charlotte and Bevan had trained, and Bevan and his Pokémon had become closer. They were less distant and more friendly. It was something Bevan was delighted with, that these creatures which had been vilified by the press as dangerous and uncontrollable could be his friends.

Understanding Pokémon was an interesting challenge: as Bevan spent more time with his Pokémon, he understood them more. He could not analyse their grammar or vocabulary, but it was the odd feeling of just knowing, without knowing the reason.

So yeah, it's really just a trainer's thing, like off the anime. :P Although I certainly encourage reader theories, and will respond to any more you have (albeit mysteriously. XD)

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
I'm afraid you are. :( After all, Charlotte can understand them as well.

It's like off the anime, where the trainers can understand what their Pokémon are saying. As I said in Chapter Eleven,

So yeah, it's really just a trainer's thing, like off the anime. :P Although I certainly encourage reader theories, and will respond to any more you have (albeit mysteriously. XD)

Lol, I had a feeling I was wrong. Oh well. I'll be sure to run any theories I may come up with by you. :)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hahaha, that's alright. ;) Even wrong theories are still fun to come up with, particularly with literature. :3

I plan for most mysteries to be set to rest by the story's conclusion, although I like to leave one or two open. ;D

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
Uh... Post-Giratina low-level psychic residue affecting all beings on Earth to make them vaguely telepathic? Evolution? Bilinguism?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
La Pompa said:
Uh... Post-Giratina low-level psychic residue affecting all beings on Earth to make them vaguely telepathic?
I'm afraid to ask, but where did you get that idea from? XD I can't think of any part of my work where I've hinted that.

La Pompa said:
Evolution?
Evolution in the real-world biological sense is an issue my fic steers well clear of. I have my own personal opinion on this issue, but I don't want to alienate readers.

La Pompa said:
Bilinguism
(Assuming you mean "bilingualism", then) it is incredibly rare for non-diplomats in Torcra. Torcra is highly monocultural, and new cultures and languages pose a threat to it.

Caliban

Years
I'm afraid to ask, but where did you get that idea from? XD I can't think of any part of my work where I've hinted that.

Evolution in the real-world biological sense is an issue my fic steers well clear of. I have my own personal opinion on this issue, but I don't want to alienate readers.

(Assuming you mean "bilingualism", then) it is incredibly rare for non-diplomats in Torcra. Torcra is highly monocultural, and new cultures and languages pose a threat to it.

Yes, I do, and that was some weird kind of joke

I'm afraid to tell you! ;o;

Caliban

Years
Ah... The bit about the universe being randomly erased in places by the portal staying open too long?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
No part of the universe became erased. IIRC, the prologue noted that if the portal had stayed open a few seconds longer, the galaxy could have been swallowed. But no part of the universe was wiped from all existence.

(Also: hooray for 63 replies. :D It's probably the closest to 666 I'll get, as the most replied to fanfic in the history of PC got less than 400. XD So, celebrations and whatnot! :D)

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Sixteen: A Fear so Pervasive
"I will only speak to Bevan Emerit."

Dagger had returned from the cult grounds: he had to escape two members of the Moonlight Squad, who had been alerted by Augury. He now sat with a just-awoken Manfred von Stauffenberg in an interrogation room. Dagger wasn't willing to risk torture: he knew that suicide violated Manfred's moral principles, but he didn't want to see how strong those were in the face of extreme pain.

Manfred was a middle-aged man. He wore a crimson suit, embellished with a lavish cloak with ancient decorations. His hair was a light grey, and he had a two-part moustache. Most notable, though, was his smug smile: he had the irritating habit of being far more intelligent than everyone around him.

"I too have seen glimpses into your mind, Christopher. And so the natural path from that is… I want to speak to Bevan." Manfred spoke in a thick, foreign accent. He had immigrated for marital reasons, but his wife had been executed long ago for crimes against the Oligarchy.

"Too bad. You've got me."

"Then we shall sit here until I die – yes, I am that stubborn. I promise I will not communicate to him that he possesses synthetic psychic abilities."

Dagger's eyes scrunched up angrily, and he released a Gallade.

"You plan to torture me?"

"Gallade, look into his mind and tell me whether he intends to inform or even suggest to Bevan that he has psychic abilities."

Gallade closed his eyes, and nodded to his master. "Very well. I'll get Bevan, and leave Gallade to stand guard. And if you happen to change your mind throughout the interview process, we'll knock you out and throw you in a Seviper pit."

"You're not a very kind host, Dagger. Just bring me the boy."

Five minutes later, Bevan entered the room.

"I hear you know Augury."

"Your father. But you already knew that."

Bevan sat down on one of the hard, wooden chairs. "What do you want?"

"Do you know what happened to get us to where we are now? Do you know what caused the Event?"

"No, but unlike you, I don't make up bogus explanations for it."

Manfred chuckled derisively. "Dear boy, it seems that Charlotte has not told you. Her view is warped anyway – the view I must preach is riddled with inaccuracies enforced by the Oligarchs in order to make their rule appear divine. In reality, the Oligarchs have nothing to do with it. But the core principles are the same.

"About a century ago, a man named Cyrus challenged a powerful, trans-dimensional Pokémon called Giratina. The ensuing battle ripped open a portal to another dimension, thereby causing an apocalypse of sorts."

"Why are you telling me this nonsense? It's not like I'll believe you."

"I know you won't. But it's important for you to know now, because I feel at some point in your life you will know it to be real."

"You're insane." Bevan got up to leave, but Manfred raised a hand. "I will not tell anybody in your organisation anything unless I get my chance with you, Bevan. I sense that you have a newfound appreciation for reason over emotion. So it's hardly a difficult choice, then, is it?"

Reluctantly, Bevan sat down. "Okay, von Stauffenberg. What do you want?"

"Now, why does everyone refer to me by my last name? It's so unfriendly, so cold. And it's not even practical: Manfred is two less syllables."

"I repeat, Manfred: what do you want?"

"To talk to you about Cyrus. To tell you a little about his life."

"Cyrus – the character your cult's invented that supposedly killed the world?"

"So distrustful at such a tender age, Bevan."

"Why should I believe anything you have to say?"

"You're right: I have no way to convince you. You know I have psychic abilities, but you just ascribe that to some indeterminate source, or some special gift. You have no thirst for knowledge if it is not quickly attainable. I have had a dialogue with Giratina for years, as did my father, and grandfather. Or, at least I did, until its spirit was split. But that's another story."

Bevan grimaced, impatient.

"Anyway, Cyrus. According to Giratina, he lived a distant childhood. He was homeschooled to an emotionally distant mother and an abusive father. He longed for attention, but he was smart: he knew he wouldn't get it from them. But he was too weird. He couldn't make friends. Besides which, he was homeschooled, just like yourself.

"So instead, he learned that his only company would be machines. At the tender age of ten, he had given up all hope of ever attaining social contact. This was very depressing for him, and over five years, it made him lose happiness. He had lost all positive emotion. Essentially, he was depressed. There was only anger, self-loathing, and self-pity.

"He tried to take his own life by jumping out of his bedroom window, and failed. After that incident, he was taken from his home and placed into an orphanage. Around that time, he decided that suicide was not the way for him to defeat his depression. But neither was happiness. Both seemed irrational at this point in his life.

"Instead, he thought he had to block out all emotion: he had to become a goal-driven, emotionless, perfectly rational vessel. The only emotion which anybody ever saw him convey beyond the age of about eighteen was contempt. And even then, that was when he was at his most vulnerable and irrational."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I saw a glimpse of you through your Gliscor last night. And through Dagger. And you reminded me of Cyrus. He brought about an apocalypse, Bevan. You can see why I don't want you to become like him."

"So you're scared of me, but not Dagger?"

"I'm scared of neither of you. But I am scared of what you will become. You've taken Dagger's words to heart, Bevan, and you're trying to purge emotion from your life. Even Dagger isn't like that. Last night, he felt fear. And then as he captured me, glee. When I insisted on speaking to you, frustration. He may be an extraordinary individual, but at a primal level, he's an ordinary human.

"You, on the other hand, could conceivably shed yourself of emotion. And that, Bevan, makes you more terrifying than anyone I have ever met: moreso than Rex, a sadistic psychopath, Lord Augury, a ruthless tyrant, and Dagger, a fringe terrorist."

"You're a whackjob if you're more scared of me than someone who controls the entire Oligarchy."

"One person's whackjob is another person's visionary, Bevan. But I feel you don't understand what I'm saying. Heed my warning: if you shed yourself of emotion, you cease to be human. Your life becomes cruel and, dare I say it, evil."

"Is that all, Manfred?"

"Yes, Bevan. You can leave now." Manfred turned to the one-way mirror. "And you can come in."

Bevan exited the room, leaving the door open for Dagger to enter.

"Now that I've focused on Bevan's problems, we can focus on yours."

Dagger recalled Gallade, and his eyes glinted with frustration. "My problems?"

"Suppose for a second that we're characters in a story, Dagger. Before, you could have been construed by the reader as an anti-hero: you kill others, but it's for a noble cause. But with this most recent plot twist, where you would not kill yourself for that same cause, your hypocrisy has been exposed. You are now no longer an anti-hero, Dagger, but a villain."

"If only it was so easy to classify people like that."

"People love to be classified, Christopher. They love to be lumped into a group of people similar to them, to be part of a team. You don't, but you're the exception. You go against the curve. But even that is a classification, a group of people you're lumped in with."

"We had a deal. You get to psychoanalyse Bevan and then you tell me the secret of the psychic powers."

"Oh, that. Slight technicality there."

"Technicality?"

"Well, my lawyer would argue that as hard as he could." Manfred looked around, exaggerating shifty eyes, and then said in a loud whisper, "But off the record, I lied."

"But, Gallade-"

"Did not probe for whether or not I was lying about giving you information. And I used my own psychic abilities to prevent him from passively picking that up."

Dagger tilted his head in anger.

"Temper, temper, terrorist. Any more of that and I'll have to alliterate some more."

"You think you're funny?"

"If I don't, who will? We are in grave times, Dagger. Laughter ameliorates it, if only a little. But if you want to speak seriously, then fine. You threatened to throw me into a Seviper pit. If it comes down to that, I'll just snap my own neck and be done with it. If I betray Lord Augury, and he captures me, well… he can punish me and suppress my psychic powers, so I can't hasten my own death."

"I can be just as cruel as Augury," said Dagger. His tone indicated, almost, that he thought that his capacity for cruelty coming into question was insulting.

"Are you familiar with the penalty of hanging?"

"Yes – it's ancient, but hardly barbaric."

"What if one were not to be hanged with rope, but barbed wire? What if the skin of the prisoner's neck were to be peeled off, as he slowly slipped down, all the while experiencing suffocation? Lord Augury has used such a penalty as a punishment for incompetence. If he can be that creative without the use of Pokémon, then imagine how creative he'll be motivated to be if I betray him?"

"So you're resigning yourself to death?"

"You could always hand me back," smiled Manfred.

"Or, I could kill your daughter." At this suggestion, Manfred's face darkened and his eyes narrowed. "How much of your family would you sacrifice? How much blood will be shed until you stop protecting He who is Merely a Rumour, a man whom you loathe?"

"You test my good humour, Christopher."

"And you've tested my awful one. Make a choice: your family or Augury?"

"You missed out option number three," said Manfred. "I could telekinetically spin my head in a three-hundred and sixty degree motion, and you would have nothing. If you go after my daughter, or any member of my family, I will know. And I will kill myself so you get nothing."

"Well, Manfred, you're not making this easy for me. Right now, you're no better alive than dead. So give me some value to your life before I kill your family out of spite."

Manfred locked eyes with Dagger. "You may think you know the nature of Lord Augury, but you cannot even begin to understand it. You see the visible power: his influence over government, his supernatural abilities, and most recently, his incredible command over Pokémon. But you fail to see what makes him truly powerful: he inspires fear. A fear so pervasive that he was able to tell his Oligarchs outright that they will soon cease to be Oligarchs, and they didn't speak a word against him."

"Wait – what?"

"Oh, you are behind the times, Dagger. Lord Augury plans to make himself the autocrat, ruling over Torcra in the open, with the Oligarchs reduced to his lieutenants. You've taken advantage of his secrecy, and now he's taking that advantage away from you."

"And providing this information doesn't count as betrayal?"

"He's communicated to me that he suspects you know, and that if you do, he doesn't care. I must say, I'm disappointed. You seemed so competent."

"If I were to be able to protect you, would you teach us psychic powers?"

"No. It is a sacred art that I have shown to the wrong person before. I'm not making that mistake again."

"Then what value are you?"

"I understand Augury's psychology. You can't defeat him in body, but you can defeat him in mind. I know what he values, and I know his secret. But I would never help you unless you could prove that you can protect me."

Dagger turned away in frustration, and then smoothly turned back. "Cicero," he said triumphantly.

"Cicero? The one failure of Augury's Moonlight Squad?"

"Yes. He's working for us. Would that be proof enough for you, Manfred, that we can protect you?"

"If you can protect Cicero, then you can protect me. Show him to me, and I'll tell you what you need to do to conquer Augury psychologically. And, of course, the secret that he's kept from almost everyone."

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
"Anyway, Cyrus, according to Giratina, he lived a distant childhood.

^only mistakes I found

>:D Is it bad to want to see an emotionless Bevan messing the world over? XD

I found the motto line! XD

Oooo cliffhanger! XD

Nice job!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
"Anyway, Cyrus, according to Giratina, he lived a distant childhood.

^only mistakes I found
Actually, since they're separate sentences, the "he" is required (I think), because there is a period separating "Anyway, Cyrus" and "According to Giratina...", not a comma.

Feign said:
Is it bad to want to see an emotionless Bevan messing the world over? XD
If you'll remember Cyrus, he wanted to make an entirely new world. ;D And that would be pretty scary. :o

Feign said:
Oooo cliffhanger! XD
There is a hint as to what it might be, buried deep in the fic~ ;D

Feign said:
Nice job!
Thanks. ^^

Back