The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
徐死
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Hey, I'm using Advance-Text, and I'm trying to edit the text at the very beginning of the game , where it says "In the world in which you are about to enter...". But whenever I try to edit the text, it displays the first two lines, then shows a red arrow, and it doesn't show the rest of the paragraph that I entered in. Does anyone know the problem?
Spoiler:

Last edited by 徐死; September 2nd, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: included pictures
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
how do you find the platelet offsets for the overworlds in overworldeditor it dosent tel you :l
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
i've searched all over but i haven't seen the answer i seek anywhere.

my problem:

my rom image keeps crashing. its become such a big issue that i've had start over twice from scratch.

the first time i edited the script with offset $0000001 (didn't count the zeroes when i typed it, but the first one) its only had 'nada' or nothing commands so i thought it would be ok. i don't think it was. i think thats why it crashed. so i wont do that again

the second time I'm not sure why it crashed, heres my theory:
maybe its because i replaced the tileset of an indoor area with that of an outdoor area, because when i went through a warp point from the indoor area to that previously-outdoor area is when the rom image failed.

any info you could give would be helpful

fyi: if it matters ive been using unLZ-GBA, advance map, overworld editor, XSE, and YAPE

also anyone who would like to help me out from time to time, please let me know if you'd be ok with me PMing you with the occasional Q
Of course you froze, you inserted the script at 0x000001
Try opening up a clean ROM, and inserting the script at 0x800000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
UNlz doesn't work. I don't even see any trainer images on it. Just fuzzy stuff. That other thing doesn't work either.
unLZgba is a searching program, you need to keep clicking 'next' until you see the image you want.
(Look around 1600...)
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>

Last edited by 0m3GA ARS3NAL; September 2nd, 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
sandstone
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
Of course you froze, you inserted the script at 0x000001
Try opening up a clean ROM, and inserting the script at 0x800000.

yes thank you, i got that much on my own. the main question was about the second "freeze" as you put it. its not a freeze though.
completely different. image crash.

can tile set changes crash the rom? and if not does any one know why my rom image crashed (the second time)
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
yusufs1
Beginning Trainer

how do you insert an entirley new building into tileset 0
i can insert into the specific tilesets fine but editing the first tileset is not working, and the buildings tiles are all jumbled up nd i can't find any when i want to build the maps
i need to know cuz i want to inert a hg/ss pokemon center
if u dont get what im saying ill try to explain it a little clearer
i want to insert this

into tileset 0
i can't manage to do it properly
but the pallete is already edited for the pokemon center, os no trouble there

credits for the image goes to C.N.C
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
徐死
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
hey again, could anyone please tell me how to make it so the introduction of pokemon firered doesn't have any music playing? I need to know for the part where it says "in the world you have entered" or whatever it says with the pikachu in the corner, and when you're talking to Prof. Oak. thanks.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
emilin_rose
Togepi

Send a message via Yahoo to emilin_rose
Probably stupid, but i added tiles to the blank spaces in elitemap's tileset, and it worked fine in elitemap, but not the rom. Now i'm trying in advancedmap and once more i can't figure out how to add the tiles.

Can anyone tell me how to add edited tiles to elitemap or advancedmap?

I've tried the block editor but i have no clue how to make it work.

Also, i've noticed in UNlz, when i look through the pokemon files, the backsprites are all shiny, and the normal ones aren't. I can't find the normal backsprites or the shiny regular sprites anywhere. This makes me hesitate to switch them out.

In a nutshell, do i just need to make a shiny backsprite and a normal battle sprite, and the game will pallete swap the rest? or am i missing something entirely here?

Last edited by emilin_rose; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
jack94
Beginning Trainer

Hi I have some Hex editing questions...
I started trying out ROM hacking about 2 or 3 days ago (using Pokemon Gold GBC), I started using Hex yesterday - i have Translhextion.

I have managed to edit Bulbasaur's evolution data in Translhextion by finding where the evolution data starts and editing Bulbasaur. However this is easy as Bulbasaur is the first pokemon so the data is right there at the very start of the evolution data.

What I want to do is to go to specific Pokemon in the Evolution Data. For example I want to make it so that Kadabra evolves at a Level instead of by trading. I know how to do this when i get to his data but i don't know how to get there. There must be an easier way than to count through the 00's at the end of the evolution sequences until i count the number that is Kadabras pokedex number?
Can someone help me out??

I also managed to edit Youngster JOEY in Hex by searching his name and it took me straight to his trainer battle data. Now, I want to edit your Pokemon Gold Rival as well but I don't know what to search for to find his trainer/battle data. When i search RIVAL and similar things it finds nothing.....
Anyone know how to do this??

All help greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Maarton
Johto Master

Hello!

I have one simple question that i am sure some of you guys can answer for me.

How do you change the BACK sprites of pokemon? I have not made 15 posts yet so i cant give you an example.

I know its possible in some way, but how?

I have found where all the sprites are in CrystalTile2, poketool/pokegra/pokegra.narc

What to do next?

Thanks in advance!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Thrace
@tion

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoactor View Post
how do you find the platelet offsets for the overworlds in overworldeditor it dosent tel you :l
I think it tells you in advanced mode. If not you'll just have to export the Sprite palettes with VBA, load them in APE and search for them. You could also try looking for the offsets in the .ini files for OWE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
yes thank you, i got that much on my own. the main question was about the second "freeze" as you put it. its not a freeze though.
completely different. image crash.

can tile set changes crash the rom? and if not does any one know why my rom image crashed (the second time)
Yeah it can. Its happened to me at least. It must be something to do with how AdvanceMap searches for free space. Try inserting them at a place with plenty of free space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusufs1 View Post
i can insert into the specific tilesets fine but editing the first tileset is not working, and the buildings tiles are all jumbled up nd i can't find any when i want to build the maps
i want to insert this

into tileset 0

You need to edit all the blocks to use the new tiles. Try reading some tutorials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 徐死 View Post
hey again, could anyone please tell me how to make it so the introduction of pokemon firered doesn't have any music playing? I need to know for the part where it says "in the world you have entered" or whatever it says with the pikachu in the corner, and when you're talking to Prof. Oak. thanks.
No idea I'm afraid. I don't think it'd be easy (finding out how to do it anyway). If you're really desperate you could replace that track with blank music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilin_rose View Post
Probably stupid, but i added tiles to the blank spaces in elitemap's tileset, and it worked fine in elitemap, but not the rom. Now i'm trying in advancedmap and once more i can't figure out how to add the tiles.

Can anyone tell me how to add edited tiles to elitemap or advancedmap?

I've tried the block editor but i have no clue how to make it work.

Also, i've noticed in UNlz, when i look through the pokemon files, the backsprites are all shiny, and the normal ones aren't. I can't find the normal backsprites or the shiny regular sprites anywhere. This makes me hesitate to switch them out.

In a nutshell, do i just need to make a shiny backsprite and a normal battle sprite, and the game will pallete swap the rest? or am i missing something entirely here?
Try reading some tutorials on how to insert tiles.

All you need to do is replace the sprite itself when you "switch them out". The game reads the palette for shiny pokemon (front sprite and backsprite) from the palette associated with the corresponding back sprite and the palette for normal pokemon from the palette associated with the front sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack94 View Post
I started trying out ROM hacking about 2 or 3 days ago (using Pokemon Gold GBC), I started using Hex yesterday - i have Translhextion.

I have managed to edit Bulbasaur's evolution data in Translhextion by finding where the evolution data starts and editing Bulbasaur. However this is easy as Bulbasaur is the first pokemon so the data is right there at the very start of the evolution data.

What I want to do is to go to specific Pokemon in the Evolution Data. For example I want to make it so that Kadabra evolves at a Level instead of by trading. I know how to do this when i get to his data but i don't know how to get there. There must be an easier way than to count through the 00's at the end of the evolution sequences until i count the number that is Kadabras pokedex number?

I also managed to edit Youngster JOEY in Hex by searching his name and it took me straight to his trainer battle data. Now, I want to edit your Pokemon Gold Rival as well but I don't know what to search for to find his trainer/battle data. When i search RIVAL and similar things it finds nothing.....

All help greatly appreciated
Thanks
I wouldn't rely on counting the 00s it'd be pretty easy to trip up. Find out the structure of the pokemon data and then count up to the ones you need. There really isn't an easier way. Thats why people use tools (well not the only reason).

In FR the rival's name as it appears in the trainer data is TERRY (no idea why). Just scroll through the trainer data and see if there is a name that occurs multiple times. Chances are that'll be the rival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarton View Post
Hello!

I have one simple question that i am sure some of you guys can answer for me.

How do you change the BACK sprites of pokemon? I have not made 15 posts yet so i cant give you an example.

I know its possible in some way, but how?

I have found where all the sprites are in CrystalTile2, poketool/pokegra/pokegra.narc

What to do next?

Thanks in advance!
Try looking through the old D/P/Pt hacking thread. I remember seeing a tool that could replace sprites.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
emilin_rose
Togepi

Send a message via Yahoo to emilin_rose
thanks thrace. I was worried for a minute there.

But now i have another question. When i went into APA and tried to change a palette, it gave me the message "It is not safe to replace this palette." Any idea what it's about or how i can fix it?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
beauty. proletariat
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Rash
This has most likely been asked yet I could not find it by searching in this thread.

How do i edit movement in FR when Professor Oak stops you infront of the grass? I know movement is probably universal... But I'm completely new to this and I dont even know how to use a script editor lol.

I've noticed that 2D is face down, 2E is face up, etc. But i dont know compiling and also why theres about 4 sets of movements in the script. :s
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thrace
@tion

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilin_rose View Post
thanks thrace. I was worried for a minute there.

But now i have another question. When i went into APA and tried to change a palette, it gave me the message "It is not safe to replace this palette." Any idea what it's about or how i can fix it?
APA? You mean APE right? Not sure why that'd be, I've personally never had that problem. Might be because APE thinks you're trying to edit something that isn't a palette? Try PMing HackMew (he created APE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric. reach View Post
This has most likely been asked yet I could not find it by searching in this thread.

How do i edit movement in FR when Professor Oak stops you infront of the grass? I know movement is probably universal... But I'm completely new to this and I dont even know how to use a script editor lol.

I've noticed that 2D is face down, 2E is face up, etc. But i dont know compiling and also why theres about 4 sets of movements in the script. :s
You need to read some tutorials. You can't expecting to dive straight into scripting without knowing the fundamentals.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

This has been discussed before. You can avoid cycling through trainers by determining exactly what the bytes must be and searching for them.
Quote:
The rival’s name, which is variable, is represented by its own special character: 0xE6.

Aside from searching for E6 50, the location can be found using another way. Silver is his own trainer class (actually two of them, 09 and 2A). The list beginning at offset 3993E consists of pointers to the first trainer of every class. Therefore, Silver’s trainer data are located at the destination of the pointers at (0x3993E + 2 × [0x9 − 1]) and (0x3993E + 2 × [0x2A − 1]).

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.

Last edited by IIMarckus; September 3rd, 2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
ville!
Abbysus, abbysus invocat!

can i edit the grass animation in firered? how?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ville! View Post
can i edit the grass animation in firered? how?
There is a tut for that. Try searching for it. (Get the tool Tile Molester, as you will need it.)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
In UnLZ, where can I find the tilemap for Fissure?
Which number?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
yusufs1
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusufs1
i want to insert this

into tileset 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace
You need to edit all the blocks to use the new tiles. Try reading some tutorials.
yeah but most tutorials focus on editing like one tile at a time, not an entire building.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Sanyco-007
Beginning Hacker

Send a message via ICQ to Sanyco-007
How to change Trainer's battlesprite in Ruby?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
yeah but most tutorials focus on editing like one tile at a time, not an entire building.

... Yeah, you do that to make the building... Buildings are made up of tiles... Check out the new tut in the Doc and Tut section, for more help. It is easy to understand. Link: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

Sanyco: Try searching for a Tutorial, i think you need to search in Tile molester... Not too sure. Look through unlz or Tile Molester... Ruby is different to Firered... Use Tile Molester.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Cello
Tonight!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post

... Yeah, you do that to make the building... Buildings are made up of tiles... Check out the new tut in the Doc and Tut section, for more help. It is easy to understand. Link: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

Sanyco: Try searching for a Tutorial, i think you need to search in Tile molester... Not too sure. Look through unlz or Tile Molester... Ruby is different to Firered... Use Tile Molester.
Like Banjora said, that's what you have to do in order to insert the house. You have to chop it up into 16x16 tiles.

Also, please change the white and pink background into one solid color. The transparent color can only be one color.

Hope all goes well for you!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
I think it tells you in advanced mode. If not you'll just have to export the Sprite palettes with VBA, load them in APE and search for them. You could also try looking for the offsets in the .ini files for OWE.
1) It tels you the sprites ofset not the platlet offset
2)how do I export platettes with vba
3)it only tels you the banks
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Cello
Tonight!

Quote:
1) It tels you the sprites ofset not the platlet offset
2)how do I export platettes with vba
3)it only tels you the banks
Though i'm not Thrace, in order to save a palette with vba just go to Tools -> Palette Viewer.

Down at the bottom of the window it lets you save the background.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

I know how to do that and I dont want the back round I want the sprite ;l
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Cello
Tonight!

Quote:
I know how to do that and I dont want the back round I want the sprite ;l
Oh I see.

The sprite's palette is actually mixed in the background palette somewhere, which is annoying because that means you have to keep a sharp eye out for matching colors.

I have a example attached of oaks palette mixed in the background palette.
The bad thing is that when you save the palette all of those other colors get mixed in too.

Just look for 2 rows of colors that match your sprite.
I have oak's palette circled in red. The blue arrow is pointing to the teal blue color, which usually indicates the start of a sprite palette like that.

I wish I could help more, but that's about all I can do as of now for ya. D:
Attached Images
File Type: png spritepal.PNG‎ (42.9 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Sponsored Links