The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
Link corrected. I pasted the thread ID from the wrong clipboard, lulz...

Thanks for letting me know, txt!
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Well, who woulda thunk it. Character karma does exist.

Okay. To elaborate, I've been spending the last few days concocting some major development of a character of an as-of-yet-unwritten fic (I really shouldn't be saying that as much as I am) who just so happens to be blind and paralyzed from the waist down, not to mention have a total personality switch from his old character (the guy was originally one of my roleplay characters, but a cameo soon grew into what he was doing now). While brainstorming on further ways to (admittedly, hopefully non-painfully) develop him further and/or get started on the other five characters I've devoted myself to thinking about right now, I lost my balance on this really cheap one-person trampoline that's practically falling apart. Tripped on a loose piece of cloth, fell to the ground, left knee hit rug first. So it's slowly getting better and bending correctly without much pain, but... maybe I should get started on the other characters now? xD
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Naughty
Scores for the Small Writing Contests are in. Check the thread!

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Shrike, darling, congratulations, and I promise to review your work as soon as I head back to school in a couple of days. (I totally am not procrastinating on two different betas. lolwut?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike Flamestar
Speaking of the corpse, I am sad it died. I demand that it be revived!
...Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Well, if there's more than one person interested, something might just get a third thread on PC.

Speaking of things to revive, is it kosher to actually revive the MPT3000 thread (so says the girl who actually did it more than once anyway)? Because, yeah, I'm not actually done with the next episode. Oops.

To answer the latest bold questions:

Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?

A Midsummer Knight's Dream looks like it has subplots and mini-arcs, but these are just lies. Lies like cake. Cake that I forgot existed and sort of let go stale. Again.

AEM, meanwhile, has so many subplots and mini-arcs it's not even funny. You just think the Committee is doing it for Bill, but they're really not. Not to mention the overall plot is not "Bill goes off on a journey with friends across Hoenn." Nor is it, for that matter, "Adam decides to have a coup."

To make it related to Fanfiction, perhaps we could talk about the kinds of medical procedures that your fic characters have had?

Within the story or outside? Because I once tried to imagine how many injuries a clumsy researcher on the field would rack up, and the list that's contained within Bill's background was not only so long it's hilarious but also something that made the fact that Bill likes staying in his lighthouse make a hell of a lot more sense.

Within the story, Bill's had one major operation between chapters one and two for fairly obvious reasons, and he had to be revived by doctors after one nice little incident between chapters two and three. Veronica just had stitches done when she got cut thanks to crazy!Bill, and Oak had that thing with his leg. You know. That thing.

Somehow, despite the fact that she's the least mentally stable out of all of them, Rose got away injury-free, as did most of the other characters.

And I have no idea how a fic with as many shootings and violent criminal acts as A Midsummer Knight's Dream has gone for as many chapters as it did without someone ending up in a hospital. Maybe medical procedures are just that awesomely advanced in the future that they can be done without you knowing about them. ¯\(0.o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina of Never-Turn-Back
So it's slowly getting better and bending correctly without much pain, but... maybe I should get started on the other characters now? xD
Or, if you're a masochist...

Seriously, ouch.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Maybe medical procedures are just that awesomely advanced in the future that they can be done without you knowing about them.
Nanotechnology. It's gonna be big.

Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?

Well, the Chronicles currently has three major story arcs. One is for the main characters, another is for another character that turns into a main character, and the third is for a bunch of yet more characters that also turn into main characters. Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop!

Old September 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
D: I'm not active enough in here.

What's the current wordcount on your active chaptered fics?
The Quest for the Legends version ILCOE Word document is currently 234,217 words, although that includes a bit of notes at the bottom and so on. Morphic is 33,945 words, including a basic draft of how the rest of it will go and a future scene.

Of course. If we count only major ones, The Quest for the Legends had the whole rivalry between Scyther and Charmeleon as a sub-plot, as well as Scyther's issues, Leta's issues, May's quest to retrieve her Quilava from Taylor, the whole legendary clone deal with Rick and Taylor, Gyarados's mysterious powers and hatred of Suicune, and arguably Mark's entire badge journey is a sub-plot. Then it has "mini-arcs" in the form of the Pokémon Festival and Ouen League chapters, and the main plot is in tangled threads that are all over the place.

Morphic has a whole lot of things going on with most of them not really going anywhere important, so I'm not sure I would call them sub-plots or whatever; they're just background details of sorts. It's not really long enough to have proper developed sub-plots.

To make it related to Fanfiction, perhaps we could talk about the kinds of medical procedures that your fic characters have had?
I... don't think any of my characters have ever had any sort of medical procedures done on them unless they broke their legs sometime long before their actions became relevant to me. Well, unless you count that bullet that grazed Dave in Morphic and got him briefly hospitalized. Seeing as the other victim died instantaneously, there were no actual medical procedures done on him.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Ironically enough, I do have a scene written out between aforementioned crippled, blind character and one of the main characters, which involved one of them getting hospitalized. Lots of development for everyone present... one of my favorite scenes I've plotted out so far, I admit. xD There was also that one time in an abandoned fic where not one but two charries are unconscious in a hospital bed for a few days... but I've abandoned it, though, so maybe I should shut up on that subject. In any stories I have written before (and posted here), a grand total of two, nobody's been visiting the White Place.

I, fortunately, don't need to visit it as a patient either. :D
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
CriticalCrisis
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to CriticalCrisis
I had a Pokemon fic called "A Golden Boy's Red Dream", which was basically about Gold being retrofitted with crappy radioware that allowed him to communicate with the Unown, and in the end he went insane and joined the Unown hive-mind and had to be killed by Red. Red was fitted with a Stun Spore seed from his Venusaur, and it was slowly transforming his body into a photosynthesis factory. He saw in pure light because of it.

Last edited by CriticalCrisis; September 4th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
This is something I've been thinking about lately.

If you have ever finished a chaptered fic, did you do a revised version of it? For those of you who are in the process of writing a chaptered fic, do you think you'll do a revised edition?
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
If you have ever finished a chaptered fic, did you do a revised version of it? For those of you who are in the process of writing a chaptered fic, do you think you'll do a revised edition?
*nods* Even as I post Shattered, still in its early stages, I see large issues to be worked upon. And by the time I finish it, I'll no doubt be much more mature and far more skilled as a writer, so I'll look back and go, "Well, that was crap. I can do it so much better now." That will probably get repeated many times, but hey. It's like the guys whose job it is to clean and paint the Golden Gate Bridge in Frisco - by the time they reach the far end, the other end is all flaked and rusty again, so they go back and start again.
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

I've been wanting to rewrite Metal Coat for such a long time now, and I haven't even completed another story that wasn't a one-shot after I finished! O - O Actually, I've been wanting to revisit Metal Coat and do it a slight scrap of justice even before I finished it... My (self-proclaimed) progress in the literary field scares even me.
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

To answer my own question,

I do plan to write a revised edition of my fic. I'll have the benefit of hindsight over which plotlines I want to be developed more, and, of course, I'll be a better writer. But, I have another fic in mind which I want to do after HWIMAR, which will probably take precedence over the revised edition.
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
The Gaurdian
a change in your demeanour.

Uh... If I ever get done... Might take me the next fifth-teen years because of how I work on my Chaptered Fics, which is one paragraph a day... or less.
Where there is Rage, I shall show its course...

I am the Gaurdian...
Look, I like RPing... unfourtuneatly I only look at the best, and maybe I join them... but also it seams that most of them DIE... come get me if you want me to join... I am a good RPer if you want me in.
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I posted the revised edition of NE, considering I finished the story before posting the first chapter here. However, even though I finished NE, I considered doing a revised edition, mostly on revising Chapters 4, 14, and 19. Also, while writing Twisted Rain, I also wanted to add a few new scenes here and there. However, real life is getting hectic for me, so I might not get the chance to do that. I'm happy at least I got NE finished for now.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Writing an entire chaptered fic must be a feat in and of itself. :x I'm not even halfway through mine, and I feel like it's already been a long journey. XD; But definitely an enjoyable and fulfilling one. ^^
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I'm always revising. For one of my Pokemon fics, I have quite a few editions because I am never happy with it. Some versions are finished (at least three), others didn't get much of a start. But I am always revising.
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
txteclipse
Zero

I've started revising my fics now that I'm posting them on deviantART, but before that not unless someone pointed out a mistake in a review or whatnot. I'll probably keep refining them until I get absolutely sick of it, or move onto other fics.

Last edited by txteclipse; September 6th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Currently posting a revised version here (up to ch. 7). Adding in more convos between Lisa's Pokemon, more "adventures of Lisa's Pokemon back at the lab" and general touch-ups.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
Did I ever.

Well, technically I didn't finish it first, but as far as I'm concerned that's a detail. Three major revisions and several minor ones in between. Right now I'm writing both the 3.x version and the 4.x one and am planning to finish the 3.x one while writing the 4.x one on the side when I feel like it. After finishing the 3.x one, I also plan to go on with the 4.x and finish writing that.

I'll probably go through Scyther's Story and The Fall of a Leader sometime since they're not very well written at the moment. Morphic too, when I'm done with it. I'm revision-happy like that.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin View Post
I finished a handful of chaptered fics that can be called chaptered fics (instead of a fic broken up into over 9000 pieces). And they all sucked. They sucked so hard I don't ever want to touch them again. Man, they sucked. They were like a black hole quality of suck. (Kids, regardless of whether or not you think I suck now, when I was a teenager, I sucked.)

Nowadays, AEM is in constant revision, so when I finish it, hopefully, it'll be finished. Or maybe I'll just do another revised version. I don't know. MKD, meanwhile, will probably get a revision. Although I want to finish it, I just don't like the way it's going now, and the only way to fix that is to nuke a couple of chapters and rebuild on the radiated ashes.

Need some light reading?
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
txteclipse
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
Although I want to finish it, I just don't like the way it's going now, and the only way to fix that is to nuke a couple of chapters and rebuild on the radiated ashes.
The resulting mutations could prove interesting. Perhaps you could actually use a nuke in the fic to fix everything and take it in a different direction?

Old September 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Perhaps you could actually use a nuke in the fic to fix everything and take it in a different direction?
Already did that to another certain fic of mine. :D

Need some light reading?
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

A nuke in the fic... that would be interesting. :s One event happened in the prologue that was similar to a nuke, thereby setting the scene for the story, but to actually set one off in the course of the story would be an interesting change of setting. :P
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin View Post
but to actually set one off in the course of the story would be an interesting change of setting. :P
Oh yes. It was, quite literally, "And then stuff blew and everyone died." It was never published to FFNet, but that, folks, is how Warp Series ended because I just didn't care anymore. I might actually post it, if only as a one-shot. Just because it's crack to the highest caliber, and for whatever reason, people actually liked that crap. Then again, it was also FFNet, so.

Uh, anyway.

Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?

Broad topic, yes, but basically, it's a "what turns you off" kind of question. It could be anything from extreme violence to just romance in general. No details are necessary if it's of a non-PC-friendly nature.

Need some light reading?
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Feign
Clain

Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?

I absolutely refuse, and cannot write romances. To me... it is like a fallacy. Okay well any work of fiction illicit fantastical emotions (heroism, courage, sympathy etc), but I find these to be different, that they are more "innocent", while the romance is more primitive... Like honestly, if they wanted to live together, or just get right down to the point in the end, then why not do it? That's why movies/books like Twilight, displease me (beside the "vampirism" etc). Also the fact that it dehumanizes people... Saying they are an object, or that they NEED someone in their life, or they indeed are submissive...

(On a side note, that is the biggest difference with American and International humour, such as Australia's; while America might say, "So... You know... Do you want to take it up a notch." with a comical scene in following to getting to that point, the Australian comic, might have it so that the character would say "Let's have sex." With a scene of comical displeasure or other...) IE. I am merely pointing out the age of censorship.

Sponsored Links