Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 7th, 2009 (08:49 PM).
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?
Like Feign, I cannot write romances. I can work in a romantic element or two, because that's quite a pervasive part of human society now, but I would struggle to write a fic dedicated to it. ^^; And the reason I can't write much about it is simply because that aspect of the world baffles me, and I can only use vague second-hand knowledge.
Old September 7th, 2009 (08:53 PM).
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that; as Cit mentioned. Like Harry Potter can have elements of love, and yet, it is not focused on being a romance. That I can work with, especially since it is more of a whole-hearted love, and not a "I want to have sex with you." kind of love.
Old September 7th, 2009 (09:23 PM).
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?
I'll write anything that the story or characters demand. I once wrote a sex-scene that was from the perspective of the male character. He was a virgin, uncircumcised, and spent the entire time nearly losing his mind over the prospect of "giving" himself to someone. The chapter ended with him wondering who he really was.
Old September 7th, 2009 (09:28 PM).
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Already did that to another certain fic of mine. :D
Well then okay then. :D

For one thing, I refuse to put swearing in my fics. I find the act of swearing annoying, mentally basic, and thoroughly unnecessary. I apologize to anyone here who's fond of dropping the f-bomb, but for me it's like having boiling oil poured into my ears.

Another thing I won't write is sex. I have various reasons for this, some being literary and others personal. The literary ones include that sex is so overused and cliche these days that I'm sick of it showing up in art in general, and my personal reasons definitely aren't PC-safe.

Old September 7th, 2009 (09:36 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote originally posted by Feign:
That I can work with, especially since it is more of a whole-hearted love, and not a "I want to have sex with you." kind of love.
You can love someone in a romantic way and not want to have sex with them, just so you know.

Also, I just woke up from an hour nap, so I'm going to hold off on saying much more until I'm actually awake. But I just wanted to point that out because it really irked me to read that.

Nada, though I do get a little uncomfortable when writing about a couple other than my OTP in that canon.

Also, folks, need I remind you that even if you don't have squicks we kind of don't need to hear about how far you will write. So can write about something that you can't post on the forum without getting banned?

DON'T DESCRIBE IT!

Because, dang it, there are rules here. And some times people can be triggered by things, so kind of keep it at the bare bare BARE minimum of description. You know.
Old September 7th, 2009 (09:43 PM).
Feign
Clain

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
You can love someone in a romantic way and not want to have sex with them, just so you know.
That is what I mean or rather intended to mean.

*uses the 'I'm really tired too' card* XD
Old September 7th, 2009 (09:46 PM).
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Astinus:

Also, I just woke up from an hour nap, so I'm going to hold off on saying much more until I'm actually awake. But I just wanted to point that out because it really irked me to read that.
I don't think Feign was saying otherwise. But yeah, writing about platonic love is more my cup of tea as well.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Old September 7th, 2009 (09:55 PM).
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
I don't think Feign was saying otherwise. But yeah, writing about platonic love is more my cup of tea as well.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
I actually think she was referring to asexual love rather than platonic.
Old September 7th, 2009 (10:03 PM).
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Redstar:
I actually think she was referring to asexual love rather than platonic.
I always thought those were the same thing. So asexual means there's no sexual attraction while platonic means that there is sexual attraction but it is controlled willingly by both individuals for spiritual or otherwise moral reasons, or something of an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" scenario?

Old September 7th, 2009 (10:09 PM).
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

I always thought those were the same thing. So asexual means there's no sexual attraction while platonic means that there is sexual attraction but it is controlled willingly by both individuals for spiritual or otherwise moral reasons, or something of an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" scenario?
In a platonic relationship of friends, there can be a sexual attraction (as suggested by friends with benefits relationships), as well as romantic attraction, but in asexual relationships there can never be a sexual attraction. Whether it's a friendship or romance, asexuals are incapable of sexual attraction.

Then there's the love of warriors in ancient stories, where they loved each other "as a man loves a woman", but there was no sexual attraction. A modern example could be Aileen Wuornos, the female serial killer, and her lover Tyria Moore. They had a sexual relationship, but Aileen claimed it was due to love, rather than any homosexual inclinations in herself. Basically, humans are complex beings and relationships can have any amount or lack of love, attraction, and intimacy.
Old September 7th, 2009 (10:11 PM).
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
platonic
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Plato or his doctrines: the Platonic philosophy of ideal forms.
2. pertaining to, involving, or characterized by Platonic love as a striving toward love of spiritual or ideal beauty.
3. (usually lowercase) purely spiritual; free from sensual desire, esp. in a relationship between two persons of the opposite sex.
4. (usually lowercase) feeling or professing platonic love: He insisted that he was completely platonic in his admiration.
Quote:
asexual
–adjective
1. Biology.
a. having no sex or sexual organs.
b. independent of sexual processes, esp. not involving the union of male and female germ cells.
2. free from or unaffected by sexuality: an asexual friendship.
Dictionary.com is your friend. I think they're the same, though asexual is kinda more of a biological term. Also, could be what txtclipse said.

EDIT: And I should be answering the topic! D:

Usually I'm uncomfortable with romance. Tried it before and failed. XD

Precious Memories
Keep smiling
[Nothing, Everything] [The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime] [Cousin][Avatar]
Old September 7th, 2009 (10:14 PM).
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote originally posted by Bay:
Dictionary.com is your friend. I think they're the same, though asexual is kinda more of a biological term. Also, could be what txtclipse said.
Asexual was originally and still is a biological term, but gay also meant "happy". Terms change and the asexual community has latched onto it and applied a social and personal definition to the biological meaning. Clearly related, but not the same.
Old September 7th, 2009 (10:26 PM).
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Thank you, dear fellows, for complicating my evening. XD

Science Daily says this:
Quote originally posted by Platonic Love:
Platonic love in its modern popular sense is an affectionate relationship into which the sexual element does not enter, especially in cases where one might easily assume otherwise.
However, there is another, archaic definition, as is described in this Wikipedia article.

So (generally) platonic love is when two individuals have a romantic relationship in which sex could be involved but isn't, while asexual love would be a relationship in which two individuals are unable to have a sexual attraction.

Old September 7th, 2009 (10:30 PM).
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

So (generally) platonic love is when two individuals have a romantic relationship in which sex could be involved but isn't, while asexual love would be a relationship in which two individuals are unable to have a sexual attraction.
That's helpful. I usually use platonic to mean "friendship" without romance or sexuality involved, but I suppose the same term can be applied if interest in either was there yet doesn't enter either by neglect or choice. Lacking sleep myself, I'm finding this more confusing than I probably should.
Old September 8th, 2009 (12:15 AM).
Caliban
Trying to change my life, brb~

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
*head asplodes*
'scuse me...
*screws head back on*
Ah, much -
*head asplodes*

Crap.

Anyway...
Quote originally posted by Redstar:
That's helpful. I usually use platonic to mean "friendship" without romance or sexuality involved, but I suppose the same term can be applied if interest in either was there yet doesn't enter either by neglect or choice. Lacking sleep myself, I'm finding this more confusing than I probably should.
I use the same definition for platonic as Redstar. I wonder if/how it's related to Plato...?
Old September 8th, 2009 (04:58 AM).
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
I like referring to the love of various fictional heterosexual life partners as platonic love more than an asexual relationship, mostly because I like using a term that implies the positive presence of a deep love between them, rather than just a negative sort of "they don't have sex." It seems to diminish it, at least for me, because I'm very fond of platonic love in fiction. My use of the term wouldn't really work with the could-be-sexual-attraction-but-isn't because then the point is they're generally two heterosexual guys or girls who would never have sexual interest in that gender.

I suppose I'd call an "asexual relationship" an explicitly romantic relationship where the partners nonetheless do not have sex, such as between two romantic asexuals, while "platonic love" would be a very strong variant of the friendship kind of love, with perhaps all the conversational intimacy and mutual devotion of a romantic relationship but not the actual romance part. If that makes any sense.

If I'm writing a story, I'll write whatever might be necessary for that story, even though I don't like writing for example graphic sex or excessive swearing. However, there are limitations to what kinds of stories I would write. I would not be comfortable with writing PWP, for instance, which is the main reason I doubt I'll ever actually need to write graphic sex anyway - plot-based stories are rarely improved by it.

I would also never write real-people fiction, simply because I find it kind of disturbing; this goes tenfold for anything remotely sexual between real people, as it just seems like an attempt to invade their privacy. I could also never write a shipping fic for any pairing I don't fully and actively believe in in canon. And generally, romance tends to bore me and the few times I've attempted it I've been absolutely terrible at it, so I prefer to stay away from romance, at least as a primary plot.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old September 8th, 2009 (06:04 AM).
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Romance. I do not and don't really want to understand either severity of the term, and most of the stories I've written have worked out fairly well around it. Friendship stories - sure. But not much more than that, sorry. (The only shipping I support is actually a crackship between Lance and Marge, so...) And that's about it. I don't mind swearing - I don't like to use it myself unless I'm talking to myself while playing video games (I think my brother is beginning to rub off on me)and the same rule applies for characters - this includes substituting 'Arceus' or 'Mew' for 'God' seeing as my father prevents the latter word from being used in vain and it's stuck - but if the character type calls for it I'll put in one or two instances. Not commonly, though.
Old September 8th, 2009 (06:53 AM).
Ageless Irony
MANIC SPAMMER

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to Ageless Irony Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ageless Irony
Hey guys, test readzor a story for me? kk thx.

Chapter 2
"Cold, sore, and in a good deal of pain, I limped back into pallet, blood dripping down my every seam, my mind still in shock from the recent events. My body felt heavy, which I could probably atrribute to my limp right arm--it was dead weight, but not like I could just go cutting it off.

I finally set my eyes on my house, but the twenty yards felt more like twenty miles. I trudged and I trudged and I trudged inch after painfully inch. The grass wiped the blood from my wounds, leaving a crimson glisten on the green.

I reached the door and pounded with all my busted, single-arm might. I could hear footsteps from inside. "Mom will be able to help..." I thought.
The door swung open and I could see the shock on her face, and then she noticed my wounds and my Mom got scared she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel-air!" I begged and pleaded with her, day after day, but she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way. She gave me a kiss, and then she gave me my ticket; I put my walkman on and said 'I might as well kick it!'

First class, yo it was bad--drinking orange juice out of a champagne class, 'is this what the people of bel-air live like? Hmmm. This might be alright.'
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the liscence plate said 'Fr3sh and there was dice in the mirror. If anything I could say this cab is rare but I said 'Now forget it, yo holmes, to bel-air!'
I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby 'Yo holmes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kindgom, I was finally there--to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!"

Starting today...I'm alone...
Ageless Irony

{ credit }
Old September 8th, 2009 (07:23 AM). Edited September 8th, 2009 by txteclipse.
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

I'm still trying to decide whether you're actually serious or not.

Quote:
I suppose I'd call an "asexual relationship" an explicitly romantic relationship where the partners nonetheless do not have sex, such as between two romantic asexuals, while "platonic love" would be a very strong variant of the friendship kind of love, with perhaps all the conversational intimacy and mutual devotion of a romantic relationship but not the actual romance part. If that makes any sense.
There you go. That's what I was trying to say.

Old September 8th, 2009 (07:43 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote originally posted by Royal Genesis:
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the liscence plate said 'Fr3sh and there was dice in the mirror. If anything I could say this cab is rare but I said 'Now forget it, yo holmes, to bel-air!'
I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby 'Yo holmes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kindgom, I was finally there--to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!"
Every story needs to end like this.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old September 8th, 2009 (10:48 AM).
Caliban

Quote:
Chapter 2
"Cold, sore, and in a good deal of pain, I limped back into pallet, blood dripping down my every seam, my mind still in shock from the recent events. My body felt heavy, which I could probably atrribute to my limp right arm--it was dead weight, but not like I could just go cutting it off.

I finally set my eyes on my house, but the twenty yards felt more like twenty miles. I trudged and I trudged and I trudged inch after painfully inch. The grass wiped the blood from my wounds, leaving a crimson glisten on the green.

I reached the door and pounded with all my busted, single-arm might. I could hear footsteps from inside. "Mom will be able to help..." I thought.
The door swung open and I could see the shock on her face, and then she noticed my wounds and my Mom got scared she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel-air!" I begged and pleaded with her, day after day, but she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way. She gave me a kiss, and then she gave me my ticket; I put my walkman on and said 'I might as well kick it!'

First class, yo it was bad--drinking orange juice out of a champagne class, 'is this what the people of bel-air live like? Hmmm. This might be alright.'
Is this about Gary...? And where's Bel-Air? And why is the cabbie "holmes"?
Thanks.

Quote:
Does make sense. I wonder where the word comes from...
Old September 8th, 2009 (11:04 AM).
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by La Pompa:
It's explained in that Wikipedia article I linked to...let me pull it up again.

However, there is another, archaic definition, as is described in this Wikipedia article.
Seems it's accredited to Plato, which makes sense.

Quote originally posted by Valentine:
Fo' sho'.

Old September 8th, 2009 (11:05 AM).
Ageless Irony
MANIC SPAMMER

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to Ageless Irony Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ageless Irony
Is this about Gary...? And where's Bel-Air? And why is the cabbie "holmes"?
Thanks.
Uh, is that genuine or extreme sarcasm?

Starting today...I'm alone...
Ageless Irony

{ credit }
Old September 8th, 2009 (11:15 AM).
Caliban

Quote originally posted by Royal Genesis:
Uh, is that genuine or extreme sarcasm?
Semi-sarcasm. Like, I don't know if it is Gary, or why the cabbie is Holmes. And I like the way it rhymes... Was that intentional?

[EDIT:]

It's explained in that Wikipedia article I linked to...let me pull it up again.

View original post

Seems it's accredited to Plato, which makes sense.

Quote originally posted by Valentine:

Fo' sho'.

Thanks, txteclipse! *reads article*
Old September 8th, 2009 (04:14 PM).
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Uh, La Pompa, have you by any chance ever watched an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...?

Sponsored Links