• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

gothic horror project

jahz

<-- I made that XD
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2012
hey i have a gothic horror project coming up soon anyone got any tips for me on writing?

also i didn't see many horror based stories around so if you wanna post one here's the place :)

Grexx

Angel of Truth
Years
Yeah. Make sure your grammar isn't a reflection of how your posts are. For a horror story, always remember that description is your best friend. You have to make me not want to go to sleep after I read your story. So add enough description to make me wonder if the Boogie Man actually exists when I take a glance at my closet. That's all I have. I'm not really a horror writing expert.

BTW, you could read some of Stephen King's work for inspiration. Though, personally, I don't really see his stories as "scary".

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
There are actually quite many fics with horror elements even in a fandom as happy-go-lucky as this. Personally, I don't really know much about writing horror since I rarely even read it, so I can't give you much advice. What I can tell you, however, is to go to, say, fanfiction.net, find any Pokémon horror fics and skim through them (possibly also the comments they've gotten). That way, you can see the most common mistakes people do and the good parts of those fics. Then, you can use this knowledge when you write your own fic.

That's really about everything I have to say about this subject. Sorry I can't help more, and good luck on your project!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
My one shot is a zombie based horror.

There are a few different ways to go about horror too, first you have to select your antagonist, and then base sort of like "rules" around it. Like in terms of vampires, different medias, portray vampires in different ways. So with pokemon, you have a few sources to go on.

Like others have said, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat is also a good thing. Aside from this coming from descriptions, you can have the same element, by merely not giving as much detail to the situation (while with lot's of detail, the same thing could also be achieved, but is somewhat more difficult to do). When the reader doesn't know so much about a person or situation, they don't know what to expect. ;)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
First off, you really want to check the rules of this section to make sure that your story fits the standards in this section, and also follows the rating guide.

Secondly, I'm not a big horror writer, but I have read a few horror stories, and the ones that I enjoyed the best were those that tapped into the basic fears that we have as humans. And I second the "description is key" tip that Grexx said. That's how you shock readers.

Third, just see what you can Google search for horror tips. I found a website that has a few articles on how to write horror, so you might want to read through them to get whatever advice you can.

Bay

Years
Not really into horror nor haven't tried writing it in a long time (last horror story I wrote is a ghost one XD), but I read some of them so I can give a couple tips.

Like Astinus said, check the rules and standards in this forum. You don't want your story to be too gory and scaring the young people here. XD;

Another thing is knowing the difference between gothic and horror. Horror is more of the terror happening while gothic is more of the tone and no bloodshed is needed. More info here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_gothic_and_horror. Both can go hand in hand, though.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
make the reader shudder (shutter?). to make a story scary add description and suspense. and make the reader think what it would be like to be in the protagonist's shoes. I once wrote a ghost story that was only scary because at the end the ghost tricks the boy into becoming the ghost so the ghost can be alive again. and I make the reader think what it would be like to be stuck forever in the body of a ghost...

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
Description can be your best friend, but overdo it, and the reader will want to go to sleep. I've read many a fanfiction like that. Sometimes, less description is more. Take the movie "Jaws" for example. That was scary mainly for how little you saw the shark. Granted, it's not a book, but you should get the idea. It would keep the reader wondering what did it and such.

Sometimes, not even the story, but the idea of such a thing happening is what's scary. This is the reason Stephen King's book "Christine" and the movie he directed, "Maximum Overdrive" were scary. If machines came to life and started going on homicidal rampages, most people wouldn't fare much better than the people in "Maximum Overdrive". As for Christine, to point it out, compare it to "Cujo". When a dog gets rabies, you shoot it. What about when your car comes to life and starts killing people, then has your best friends in it's sights?

Back