The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Strategies and Movesets

Notices

Pokémon Strategies and Movesets Post your team lineups, get your team rated or rate other teams, talk about lineups, talk about moves/movesets, strategies, etc. For general talk about the games, go to the respective Pokémon game forums.

View Poll Results: S+M staff are great
Yes 2,147,483,647 100.00%
Yes 999 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Okay so I have a quick question.
I have a Jirachi with Iron Head for flinch hax.
Does flinching happen if Raci is slower than the opponent?
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
No, only if you are faster.
Pair x [23:25] =Sanguine: take meh with your mighty staff
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM
wolf

Quote:
No, it only happens when Jirachi strikes first.

Edit: Beaten. :<
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
No, only if you are faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf. View Post
No, it only happens when Jirachi strikes first.

Edit: Beaten. :<
Okay so then Jolly Jirachi it is. I was going to do a more defensive set but the Speed sacrafice would make me lose flinch hax so I'v decided...

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-U Turn

To set-up SR. I can always U-Turn out if I come up with a bad match-up.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
revelp8
My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to revelp8
Quote:
Okay so then Jolly Jirachi it is. I was going to do a more defensive set but the Speed sacrafice would make me lose flinch hax so I'v decided...

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-U Turn

To set-up SR. I can always U-Turn out if I come up with a bad match-up.
why not switch out fire punch with trick and replace life orb with choice scarf to really make use of iron head flinching? trick comes into play when you face off against bronzong and other slower pokemon then u-turn your way out
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelp8 View Post
why not switch out fire punch with trick and replace life orb with choice scarf to really make use of iron head flinching? trick comes into play when you face off against bronzong and other slower pokemon then u-turn your way out
Ugh I hate TrickRachi but I'll consider annoying my opponents with it. I needed Fire Punch on Jirachi in relation to the rest of my team, which is majorly Scizor weak, and Psyschic mono. The problem is Bronzong is like neverused in OU.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Zakarii
Pekachu Puhrity <3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zakarii
Quick Question: Is Thunderpunch worth putting on Metagross? Here he is currently,
Metagross@______?
252 Atk, 126 Hp, 126 S.Def
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

I've found Bullet punch extremely useful in the past, and I find myself using Meteor Mash the most So I don't intend on changing either. I dont use Earthquake as much as I thought I would considering Metagross's weakness to Fire+Fighting, but I still use it enough so that it's more useful than Thunderpunch. Unfortunetly, I dont have acess to Explosion, so it really isnt an option. So, is Thunderpunch Worth it? Give me your thoughts

R.I.P Gidget.

Spoiler:
92% of teens listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still listens to real music, add this to your signature.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakarii View Post
Quick Question: Is Thunderpunch worth putting on Metagross? Here he is currently,
Metagross@ Choice Band / Life Orb / Leftovers
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe (it allows you to outrun opposing Metagross)
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

I've found Bullet punch extremely useful in the past, and I find myself using Meteor Mash the most So I don't intend on changing either. I dont use Earthquake as much as I thought I would considering Metagross's weakness to Fire+Fighting, but I still use it enough so that it's more useful than Thunderpunch. Unfortunetly, I dont have acess to Explosion, so it really isnt an option. So, is Thunderpunch Worth it? Give me your thoughts :)
Yeah, usually hit Fire-types on the switch with Earthquake. And, Metagross isn't weak to Fighting, his only weaknesses are Fire and Ground. ;o

Since you don't have access to Explosion, ThunderPunch is usually the best option. It hits bulky waters like Vaporeon, Suicune, etc.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
sims796
We're A-Comin', Princess!

Ok, I really hate to ask this, but I'm in a bit of a stump. Can anyone name a list of ALL special sweepers that come to mind? That includes UU & OU. This'll help me figure out this TEEM of mine that will thrash Dark Anti Brittneyboy.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Pokedra
Retired bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims796 View Post
Ok, I really hate to ask this, but I'm in a bit of a stump. Can anyone name a list of ALL special sweepers that come to mind? That includes UU & OU. This'll help me figure out this TEEM of mine that will thrash Dark Anti Brittneyboy.
Ummm..okay I'll do OU for you.

OU
  • Latias
  • Heatran
  • Alakazam
  • Empoleon
  • Gengar
  • Infernape
  • Jirachi
  • Jolteon
  • Porygon-Z
  • Rotom-A
  • Salamence
  • Starmie
  • Suicune
  • Togekiss
Must've missed some out but that should be most of them :D
BW2 UU Smogon Leaderboard #1
DPPt OU Smogon Leaderboard #6
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
sims796

Thanks. There are so many pokes listed at random, it got annoying trying to sort them out meself.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
revelp8

i can do UU for you sims.

Espeon
Magmortar
Moltres
Yanmega
Omastar
Blaziken
Houndoom
Tangrowth

they're all over base 110 for SpA.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
wolf

Quote:
Thanks. There are so many pokes listed at random, it got annoying trying to sort them out meself.
You can click the SpA stat on the Smogon index for a tier, it will sort the Pokemon by Special Attack. ;3
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Aurafire
provider of cake

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
You can click the SpA stat on the Smogon index for a tier, it will sort the Pokemon by Special Attack. ;3
O.O

You just made my life so much easier. (Why did I never know that? DX)

Anyway, while I'm here, does that MysticGar set want Life Orb or Expert Belt?

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurafire View Post
O.O

>.< Even I knew that. D: I thought you knew a whole lot more than me.

Anyway, I can't answer your question, but I have a good question that may or may not be able to be answered.

What's a good set for a Dragon Dance Crawdaunt (if anyone can theorymon one up for me).

What I've thought of so far was this:

Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt@Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
  • Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Crunch
  • Aerial Ace

I don't know how well it could perform though...:/ I was going to do some calculations to see what it could hit after a DD but I got lazy as well as homework piling up on top of that. So I'm here, wanting some advice (if possible) for this soon to HG/SS set.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Aurafire
provider of cake

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post

Anyway, I can't answer your question, but I have a good question that may or may not be able to be answered.

What's a good set for a Dragon Dance Crawdaunt (if anyone can theorymon one up for me).

Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt@Life Orb
  • Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Crunch
  • Aerial Ace

I don't know how well it could perform though...:/ I was going to do some calculations to see what it could hit after a DD but I got lazy as well as homework piling up on top of that. :P So I'm here, wanting some advice (if possible) for this soon to HG/SS set.
Lol, it's hidden away in the corner, I just never noticed it. Doesn't make me know any more or less...

I'd run Jolly probably, so you can outpace max speed base 100's after one boost. X-Scissor is an option as well. You'd have to test it to see how well it works, I would imagine when played correctly it could do some damage in UU.

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurafire View Post
O.O

Wow, you never knew? XD
Quote:
Anyway, while I'm here, does that MysticGar set want Life Orb or Expert Belt?
Life Orb, Expert Belt is okay if you want to bluff a Choice item, or you have Tyranitar / Hippowdon.
Quote:

Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt@Life Orb
  • Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Crunch
  • Aerial Ace

I don't know how well it could perform though...:/ I was going to do some calculations to see what it could hit after a DD but I got lazy as well as homework piling up on top of that. :P So I'm here, wanting some advice (if possible) for this soon to HG/SS set.
I think Jolly would be better, since you are really slow. If you're planning to use that in OU, then you can use this EV spread (with Jolly), 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Speed, it outruns Modest Starmie (rare though). Or you can use 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Speed, that will outrun Naive Salamence, and all those positive Nature base 100's.

Also, X-Scissor > Aerial Ace is pretty cool for hitting same things except it gets Celebi for more damage.
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
.Aero
Community Supporter

It's meant for UU (should have mentioned that) as I don't really think with his poor speed and SpD that he'll be doing too well. >.<

Aerial Ace is on there to deal with Hitmontop or Toxicroak if they decide to show their faces. :/ X-Scissor could be good though with all those Roserade running a muck. >.< I guess it really does come down to testing. I'll do some calculations when I'm not feeling lazy. Thanks for the help you two.
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
sims796

I come bearing a challenge to you fine people. I have decided to try out Houndoom in OU. Crazy, rite? Well up yours.

I am having trouble coming up with the ev's for this sort of set. EV's were always my weakest point.

Houndoom-Life Orb
Nature:
EV:
Ovahheat/Flamethrowah/Fiah Blast
Sucka Pawnch
Pursuit
Thundah Fang

It seems like a good way to keep Asself in check, specifically those of the Dark variety.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Megaman765
Really wants shiny Porygon Z:3
Community Supporter

This has been bugging me for awhile. Seeing how the rotom forms are OU and are used in competitive play, Is it legal to use the rotom forms on wifi using Action replay? I just wanna know before I start using rotom on my team.

If your unable to use AR for the rotom forms I don't understand why they're used in so much teams :/

Trainer Academy RP Pokemon
Snype (Sableye)- Lv. 52- Detect, Shadow Sneak, Will-o-wisp, Low Sweep, Foul Play, Taunt (Ability: Keen Eye)
Commodore (Porygon-Z)- Lv. 55 -Signal beam, Conversion 2, Recover, Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Trick Room (Ability: Trace)
Len (Poliwraith)- Lv. 53- Bubblebeam, Brick Break, Dig, Belly Drum, Sleep Talk, Rest (Ability: Water Absorb)
Able (Ninjask)- Lv. 45 - Fury Cutter, Slash, Double Team, Protect, Baton Pass, Swords Dance (Ability: Speed Boost)
Kara (Gligar) Lv. 29 Acrobatics, Substitute, Fury Cutter, Knock Off, Slash,Toxic (Ability: Poison Heal)
Xerox (Ditto) Lv. 29 Transform (Ability: Imposter)

(In Box)
Shedinja- Lv. 35 Fury Swipes, Confuse Ray, Sand attack, Leech Life, Mind Reader, Scratch (Ability: Wonder Guard)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
.Aero
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman765 View Post
This has been bugging me for awhile. Seeing how the rotom forms are OU and are used in competitive play, Is it legal to use the rotom forms on wifi using Action replay? I just wanna know before I start using rotom on my team.

If your unable to use AR for the rotom forms I don't understand why they're used in so much teams :/
Most of the teams devised here in the S&M section are for Shoddy.

Now for the Wifi question, hacking is allowed as long as you inform the challenger that you are using hacked pokemon and they're ok with it. Otherwise, you're breaking the rule.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Zakarii
Pekachu Puhrity <3

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zakarii
Quote:
I come bearing a challenge to you fine people. I have decided to try out Houndoom in OU. Crazy, rite? Well up yours.

I am having trouble coming up with the ev's for this sort of set. EV's were always my weakest point.

Houndoom-Life Orb
Nature:
EV:
Ovahheat/Flamethrowah/Fiah Blast
Sucka Pawnch
Pursuit
Thundah Fang

It seems like a good way to keep Asself in check, specifically those of the Dark variety.
252 Attack, 78 S.Atk, 180 Speed.
Nature- Naughty.

Bold: I sure hope you're pretending..

R.I.P Gidget.

Spoiler:
92% of teens listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still listens to real music, add this to your signature.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
wolf

Quote:
Now for the Wifi question, hacking is allowed as long as you inform the challenger that you are using hacked pokemon and they're ok with it. Otherwise, you're breaking the rule.
And, you have to make sure the person you're battling against is using Platinum, or it will freeze iirc. :[ You could use a standard Rotom and just hack it with Rotom Appliance stats and the exclusive move.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Megaman765
Really wants shiny Porygon Z:3
Community Supporter

Quote:
And, you have to make sure the person you're battling against is using Platinum, or it will freeze iirc. :[ You could use a standard Rotom and just hack it with Rotom Appliance stats and the exclusive move.
It's just annoying because rotom-c has 3 type moves that I really need for my team, grass, Ghost, and electric.

Are there any other pokemon (grass or electric) That can use both grass and electric moves? (besides hidden power)

Trainer Academy RP Pokemon
Snype (Sableye)- Lv. 52- Detect, Shadow Sneak, Will-o-wisp, Low Sweep, Foul Play, Taunt (Ability: Keen Eye)
Commodore (Porygon-Z)- Lv. 55 -Signal beam, Conversion 2, Recover, Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Trick Room (Ability: Trace)
Len (Poliwraith)- Lv. 53- Bubblebeam, Brick Break, Dig, Belly Drum, Sleep Talk, Rest (Ability: Water Absorb)
Able (Ninjask)- Lv. 45 - Fury Cutter, Slash, Double Team, Protect, Baton Pass, Swords Dance (Ability: Speed Boost)
Kara (Gligar) Lv. 29 Acrobatics, Substitute, Fury Cutter, Knock Off, Slash,Toxic (Ability: Poison Heal)
Xerox (Ditto) Lv. 29 Transform (Ability: Imposter)

(In Box)
Shedinja- Lv. 35 Fury Swipes, Confuse Ray, Sand attack, Leech Life, Mind Reader, Scratch (Ability: Wonder Guard)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
revelp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman765 View Post
It's just annoying because rotom-c has 3 type moves that I really need for my team, grass, Ghost, and electric.

Are there any other pokemon (grass or electric) That can use both grass and electric moves? (besides hidden power)
err...not many

Gengar can both use energy ball and t-bolt
Infernape can use grass knot and t-punch
Breloom has STAB seed bomb and t-punch
Alakazam has charge beam, energy ball, grass knot
Porygon-z has ^ + t-bolt

and i think that's it. i might be missing out on a few, but they're probably not noteworthy

and the list gets smaller if you go down the tiers list. grass isn't much of an offensive typing in OU because most of the water types have other typing that nulls out grass. the only two pretty much affect by grass is Swampert and rhyperior, all the other pokemon have ways of dealing with grass type moves.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links