The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver

Nature: Modest
someone has the 1st person location for this game?(when you enter in a place and you see a picture of it)
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Magnius
Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

Anyone real advanced at this hacking stuff? See what I did done is, you know how in the Japanese HGSS you can only select 5 lettered names? Well I need someone who's advanced at hacking to extend that to 8 letters.

All that really has to be done is to find the Platinum code and copy and paste that code over the HGSS one. However, I have no idea how I would go about doing this.

Last edited by Magnius; October 9th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnius View Post
Anyone real advanced at this hacking stuff? See what I did done is, you know how in the Japanese HGSS you can only select 5 lettered names? Well I need someone who's advanced at hacking to extend that to 8 letters.

All that really has to be done is to find the Platinum code and copy and paste that code over the HGSS one. However, I have no idea how I would go about doing this.
Sorry, but no. You can't just "copy and paste" from Platinum or something. If the name can have up to 5 letters, it's pretty safe to say the memory area reserved for the player's name can use only up to 5 spaces, and what's next is sure used for other stuff.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Poryhack
March 14th

Actually the 5-char thing is just an entry restriction placed on the Japanese games (not sure about the Korean ones). Save files are language-independent and they always have room for 10 chars.

It would still take an assembly hack though; whether it's an "easy" one or not you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who knows assembly to implement it.
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poryhack View Post
Actually the 5-char thing is just an entry restriction placed on the Japanese games (not sure about the Korean ones). Save files are language-independent and they always have room for 10 chars.

It would still take an assembly hack though; whether it's an "easy" one or not you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who knows assembly to implement it.
Save files are language-independent, indeed. Still, I have no idea where that 10 come from. The player's name can have up to 7 chars plus the terminator and, being stored in a custom UTF-16 encoding, the whole name area takes a total of 16 bytes. Nonetheless, the player's name should be stored into some temporary place before it's actually written to the save. And there could be not enough room allocated there. Those are my two cents.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:02 AM
SCV
DPP Game Researcher

Send a message via AIM to SCV Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SCV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnius View Post

What "code" are you talking about exactly?

A new type of DPP Editor: PPRE (PPRE beta 0.05 now out, but there are newer releases)

Useful programs for DPP Hacking/Research: http://rapidshare.com/files/17990048...ckingTools.zip
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Poryhack
March 14th

Oh, I was looking at pokemon names. You're right, trainer names can only be 7.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
PokeBal33
Learning how to hack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoactor View Post
I dont think we will be able to hack it for a while we havent even been able to hack dp that well yet
ya me either. I think most people will stick to hacking the GBA roms. When there are better tools for HGSS then maybe it will get popular.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Steveice10
Beginning Trainer

Yeah you could probably modify the amount of characters aloud in a game. I know for a fact because with pokesav you can make the name more than 5 letters so it's just a restriction in entering names.

Old October 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Zephi
He who cannot learn.

Nature: Timid
Ah.. haven't been on PC in awhile. Anyway, on-topic: the list.txt for HGSS on PokeTEX doesn't seem to be working for me. Probably my fault, and it's been a long time since I used it. I moved my pl_list out of the folder, put the one from the first page in there, loaded up SS, and... nothing. I little down the list I managed to come across Charizard's OV, albeit messed up. Where'd I mess this up?
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
mindfreak
Belgium Rom hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephi View Post
Ah.. haven't been on PC in awhile. Anyway, on-topic: the list.txt for HGSS on PokeTEX doesn't seem to be working for me. Probably my fault, and it's been a long time since I used it. I moved my pl_list out of the folder, put the one from the first page in there, loaded up SS, and... nothing. I little down the list I managed to come across Charizard's OV, albeit messed up. Where'd I mess this up?
Hmm, did you use a clean or a patched rom?
Try HG (unpatched) thats where I found the offsets.
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Steveice10
Beginning Trainer

Last edited by Steveice10; October 16th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
ankrahman28
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poryhack View Post
I haven't ever looked into making tahaxan plugins, maybe I should... On the plus side I doubt it would've saved me more than a few minutes since I batch renamed the narcs anyway.

I've identified all narcs that are identical to those found in (japanese) Platinum and made a list below. I also added some things that I have found along with a few items from this thread. NARCs that remain unchanged from platinum are indicated with a *. Note that just because a platinum narc is in the /a/ directory does not mean it is actually used. For instance D-Trogh noticed that the pokemon icons were in 2/2/8, but the new ones are actually in 0/1/8.

/a/0/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-growtbl*
        4-pokemon battle sprites
        5-
        6-trainer backsprites
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-script
        3-scr_msg*
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-item icons
        9-
        0-pokemon icons
        1-
        2-wechar*
        3-wepltt*
        4-wecell*
        5-wecellanim*
        6-imageclip*
        7-message file
        8-underg_radar*
        9-
        0-
        1-namein*
        2-
        3-
        4-evo*
        5-fontoam*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-pst_gra*
        0-bm_field*
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-ugeffect_obj_graphic*
        6-start screen graphics
        7-
        8-ug_trap*
        9-
        0-ug_fossil*
        1-ntag_gra*
        2-tradelist*
        3-ug_parts*
        4-opening*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-ug_anim*
        3-weather_sys*
        4-
        5-
        6-nuts_data*
        7-
        8-
        9-pokefoot*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-oekaki*
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-fld_comact*
        4-
        5-
        6-contest_data*
        7-
        8-wifip2pmatch*
        9-demo_trade*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-field_cutin*
        4-demo_climax*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
/a/1/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-vs_demo_gra*
        5-pokezukan*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-pokeanm*
        2-
        3-
        4-alt form sprites
        5-egg_data*
        6-egg_demo_particle*
        7-
        8-
        9-shinka_demo_particle*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-wifi_earth*
        4-ranking*
        5-ppark*
        6-
        7-
        8-btdtr*
        9-btdpm*
        0-
        1-
        2-poke_yofs*
        3-
        4-
        5-poke_shadow*
        6-
        7-poke_shadow_ofx*
        8-
        9-fldtanime*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-bm_room*
        9-
        0-area graphics
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-d_test*
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-pl_cb_data*
        6-wifi_unionobj*
        7-guru2*
        8-frontier_particle*
        9-bucket*
        0-codein_gra*
        1-
        2-worldtimer*
        3-manene*
        4-dp_height*
        5-dp_height_o*
        6-lobby_news*
        7-email_gra*
        8-wlmngm_tool*
        9-balloon_gra*
/a/2/
Code:
        0-wflby_map*
        1-wifi_lobby*
        2-pl_btdtr*
        3-pl_btdpm*
        4-pl_bsdpm*
        5-
        6-pokelist_particle*
        7-wifi_lobby_other*
        8-footprint_board*
        9-zukan_enc_platinum*
        0-ballslow_data*
        1-pl_etc_particle*
        2-pms_aikotoba*
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-poke_icon*
        9-kowaza*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-intro graphics
        3-
Thanx for the locations. now all i need 2 know is how to open the file with the new trainer back sprites. Is their a program that can??
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
xcan
Beginning Trainer

We cann't see the things at the YouThbe in China...
Who can help us?
oh....I am so sorry that I cann't speak English well....

Last edited by xcan; October 23rd, 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ash's Sceptile
Beginning Trainer

Hey Everybody
Why don't modify the Game Text (the place where we put player's names, rival's name)? Could we put English font on the boxes? If Anyone knows put, talk to me and teach me! I don't like the letters in Japanese!
On the site of Spriters Resource have many pictures of the boxes!
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Poryhack
March 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash's Sceptile View Post
Hey Everybody
Why don't modify the Game Text (the place where we put player's names, rival's name)? Could we put English font on the boxes? If Anyone knows put, talk to me and teach me! I don't like the letters in Japanese!
On the site of Spriters Resource have many pictures of the boxes!
Doing that would require an assembly hack, so it's unlikely that it will happen.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
SharpPoint
Suicune used Surf!

Nature: Adamant
To be honest, even if we could hack 4th generation games as well as we can hack 3rd generation games, I wouldn't switch over. I'm perfectly happy with my 2D graphics.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Poryhack
March 14th

There is a certain advantage when it comes to making/editing 2D over 3D. Even if it were as easy as ploping a map model into Maya, etc just learning how to operate a 3D editor seems to be quite complicated.

I wasn't around for the golden age of GBA hacking though, and I have no desire to backtrack.

Last edited by Poryhack; October 26th, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Wow one wrong letter completely changed the meaning there.
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Oxnite
aka Arbok

Sorry if I'm not able to put questions here.. But I really want an answer.

I know we can edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS already, but how good? Here are my questions:

1) Are we already able to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS as good as in DPP?

2) If I'm going to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS now, can I use the edited .narc file for the English HG / SS Roms (when they are released)? Or do I have to edit every Trainers' Pokémon again then?

3) (Only answer this question when you've answered YES to question 1) I was trying to edit the Trainers' Pokémon, but it looked much more messed up, with every Trainers' SECOND Pokémon being at level 1 or something. Eh, it just looked messed up. Or was I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
What i realy want is a mapping tool, maybe like in the tool is shows everything 2d and then in the emulator or whatever would be 3d... i dunno! If only we had the stuff nintendo used to make the games IM GOING ON STIKE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mew~; October 26th, 2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon League Champion View Post
What i realy want is a mapping tool, maybe like in the tool is shows everything 2d and then in the emulator or whatever would be 3d... i dunno! If only we had the stuff nintendo used to make the games :( IM GOING ON STIKE!!!!!!!!
Fine, bye.

A map editor, even though it is in high demand, will be incredibly hard to make, as everything near enough uses 3D polygons, and that is shown playing through the games. True that this could possibly be manipulated and able to place if a tool was created, but for Tiles, it would make them even harder to do. And to make good maps, you may need new tiles.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Poryhack
March 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon League Champion View Post
If only we had the stuff nintendo used to make the games :( IM GOING ON STIKE!!!!!!!!
Rather ironic that you should say that. I recommend you get together a few buddies, pull your heads out of wherever they are lodged, and take a good look around this forum.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Alpha de Splash
DPPtHGSS Researcher

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Alpha de Splash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Alpha de Splash Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha de Splash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxnite View Post
Sorry if I'm not able to put questions here.. But I really want an answer.

I know we can edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS already, but how good? Here are my questions:

1) Are we already able to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS as good as in DPP?

2) If I'm going to edit the Trainers' Pokémon in HG / SS now, can I use the edited .narc file for the English HG / SS Roms (when they are released)? Or do I have to edit every Trainers' Pokémon again then?

3) (Only answer this question when you've answered YES to question 1) I was trying to edit the Trainers' Pokémon, but it looked much more messed up, with every Trainers' SECOND Pokémon being at level 1 or something. Eh, it just looked messed up. Or was I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
I think I have the general format of the HGSS trainers. It is indeed different from the trainers of DPPt (So it won't work on DPPt Tools). And you should be able to use the same narc for the english granted that they don't insert trainers (that would cause all the trainers to be one later, messing everything up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Fine, bye.

A map editor, even though it is in high demand, will be incredibly hard to make, as everything near enough uses 3D polygons, and that is shown playing through the games. True that this could possibly be manipulated and able to place if a tool was created, but for Tiles, it would make them even harder to do. And to make good maps, you may need new tiles.
Tiling isn't going to be remotely possible in the HGSS maps. What may happen is dragging pre-made polygons somehow, but all this stuff is still in the works of those whose computers hate them...
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Oxnite
aka Arbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesplash View Post
I think I have the general format of the HGSS trainers. It is indeed different from the trainers of DPPt (So it won't work on DPPt Tools). And you should be able to use the same narc for the english granted that they don't insert trainers (that would cause all the trainers to be one later, messing everything up).
Oh okay, so it's waiting for a HG / SS Trainer Pokémon editor tool?

Is it hard to create that tool?
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Potatomuffin
The One And ONLY!!!

actually we do have the stuff that nintendo used to make the games. some guy posted the tools they used for d/p and me and my friends tried running it. sadly we couln't get it to work cause we didn't have Maya and some other programs. all nintendo did was to add certain plugins and a .narc maker program. its probabally still sitting in the tools section of pokecommunity.

Check out my pokemon diamond hack videos here:
http: diamond hacking 2 map and route pokemon edit
http: diamond hacking 4 to oreburg
NEW: http:Heart gold / Soul Silver map and model hack!!!
and for d/p/p hackers,be sure to look at my model list here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=166387
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links