The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Parka Girl View Post
*admires her award, surprised and flattered* ' I'd like to thank the academy...well, actually...I'd like to thank all of you who voted for me; and even those of you who didn't, for giving me good competition Thank you! ^__^

XD Her grammar is awful on purpose, and it's actually plot relevant why she (and at least one other pokemon you meet) speak so poorly. Trust me, this isn't going to be one of those hacks riddled with spelling and grammar errors every which way...my perfectionist streak wouldn't allow it '

As for Raikou, that sprite was inserted a while back when I was entertaining the idea of putting in HGSS sprites as well as PMD sprites, or eventually instead of them - the Raikou was basically copied from one of the pre-release HGSS screenshots and inserted. But now that you mention that it needs some work...I can see how out of of place it is, with everything else PMD-style. I'll get it's 32x32 PMD sprite and get to work on that Thanks for the comments!

@TheSmell: Thanks so much for the congratulations! Trust me, I was surprised to see I was Hack of the Week winner myself ' Anyway, do I take from your excitement that the log tile isn't so bad, or that you just liked that I quoted Ren and Stimpy? =P Or both? XD

@Patjamma: That suggestion is awesome XD Since most items have been replaced by unplantable berries anyway (for example, a Potion is now called a "Lechuk Berry"), and berries grow on trees, or at least on bushes...being able to go into random trees on routes for item scouting sounds like a clever idea Or at the very least, I could have going up to overworld trees and "talking to them" be how you get some items in the first place.

@ destinedjagold and @Neo-Wolf Thanks! ^__^ Comments - both good and constructive-critty - and compliments are why I keep going with this
Congratulations on HoTW. You deserve it.

And for the plant sprites... You can use the berry trees. XD YOu didn't replace them did you?

EDIT: Here is an award:

Made using ArcSoft PhotoStudio.

Last edited by NatureKeeper; October 8th, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM
The Smell
Doof-Man

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
@TheSmell: Thanks so much for the congratulations! Trust me, I was surprised to see I was Hack of the Week winner myself ' Anyway, do I take from your excitement that the log tile isn't so bad, or that you just liked that I quoted Ren and Stimpy? =P Or both? XD
Both! :D But yeah, the log does fit well! I can't get enough of Pirca's scarf either! It's a shame that the Ruby engine flips the overworld sprite, because the scarf swaps sides!

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
PokeBal33
Learning how to hack..

I like the story and maps, congrats on HOTW btw. I am new here but i have bin on this site a wile just watching. When a userbar is up i will add it to my sig.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureKeeper View Post
EDIT: Here is an award:
Nice ban Keeper

By the way PPG do ya happen to know when alpha or beta could be expected?
And also if you're gonna release alpha or beta first

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
Okay, more update-y stuff

First things first - Tile Molester is deciding to be a pain. Despite using the "sprites are usually right by their palettes, so look up the palettes in a hex editor and you should easily find the sprites" trick; and even scrolling through the entire ROM, several times, on several different codec modes...the Pokeballs are proving very elusive. I found the Pokeball icons that are part of the trade animation, but the ones that appear in battle (the pokeball that flies though the air when your leading Pokemon is sent out; the Pokeball on the ground that an enemy Pokemon pops out of in a Trainer battle, the balls that appear on the status screen when you look at your Pokemon)...I just can't find ' (I can't find the bar with "Trainer Memo" written on it that appears on the status screen, either). Has anyone ever actually hacked these and knows where they are and how to find them in Tile Molester? It's driving me nuts; I wasted a lot of man hours already looking for them...

Now, a quick detour through Pikpik Grove...

Foreshadowing! This Pikachu's pretty nervous about the rumors people discuss concerning mysterious kidnappings and the disturbing "Crumbletown" to the north...

Didn't we see this screenshot before? Yes we did, but I fixed this continuous script up a little - shortly before this screenshot, I added in a bit where Freya, the Pidgeotto who attacked this Ledyba, walks up, picks up the "round thing," and then starts walking away like she's leaving. When she's across from Rega the Ledyba, she stares at him for a minute, and then runs out like her tailfeathers are on fire. This was done to add a bit more depth of character to Freya, and so that her actions here would mesh more with what we shall see of her shortly...

Head to the northern exit and talk to the Spearow blocking it off, once you've visited with Rega. It'll abandon its post to join up with Freya, and the path is now free for you to walk along. Well, it's sorta free...three Spearow will try to stop you...

One would think Freya would simply flee after she's gotten what she wanted, but for some reason, she's hanging around...even the Spearow can't understand it.

Also, if you talk to the bushes on this route, you can pick up a few items. You won't get the opportunity to heal until you're at the Forest's Edge (unless you backtrack and talk to your mom), so it's wise to investigate everything...

Freya seems quite guilt-stricken and tortured...and, unable to face what she may have done, she calls you a liar and attacks you in anger...

Oh crud, I have tile errors up there ' I didn't notice that till just now...I'll fix that right away!

She's level 14 and can kick your fluffy butt if you're not careful. But she shouldn't be too hard ' You're at the beginning of the game where your foes are weak to your attacks

After some attempted guilt-tripping, Freya makes her escape (along with all the Spearow), and you can pick up the "Round Thing." What's it do? Well...we'll see about that much later...

I hope with the next update to show the third route - Golden Trail - the third "town" - Forest's Edge - and at least the beginning of the fourth route - Blackriver. Blackriver is where we start to see evidence of those mysterious Magicians who once roamed the land...though you'll meet some Pokemon who insist "Arceus put all that stuff there just to test us!" =P

@everyone: Thanks for your continued support!

@TheSmell: I believe Diamond and Pearl do that too - Dawn's scarf will flip from one side of her body to the other depending on which way she's facing. Drives me nuts there and drives me nuts here too, but it's just part of the engine, alas '

@Ash493: I hope to release a beta at the end of the Crumbletown arc (Crumbletown is in about the same place as Slateport City, so that gives you an estimate ).

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; October 10th, 2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
robin9211
Beginning Trainer

are they tile errors? the second last screenie?
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin9211 View Post
are they tile errors? the second last screenie?
Yeah, those are tile errors - you see the trees at the very top edge of the screenshots; how they have the bottoms of one type of tree and the top of the other? I forgot that's where the border was when I was making the map, and used the wrong tiles there ' It shouldn't take me but a moment to fix it, though!
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM
mervyn797
What? I'm right here. >D

Nature: Careful
wow! this hack is awesome!
you must be having great ASM skills!!!
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
What is ASMing about it?

Wonderful tiling skills, I got to say.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM
PokeBal33
Learning how to hack..

I agree, i like the tiles. Nice updates, the trainer card looks funny with pichu on it.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

I'm fascinated how ya always lengthened the updating post :D
So Pidgeotto's gonna battle huh? :D
I'm looking forward to script where she joins team :D

Old October 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
PatJamma
♪I can hear my heart bell♪

Nature: Relaxed
hey i wanted to know how is changing party members going to work? i mean its not like you can just walk into a pokemon center and walk up to a computer and switch pokemon
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Skully367
Bored...REEEEALLY bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJamma View Post
hey i wanted to know how is changing party members going to work? i mean its not like you can just walk into a pokemon center and walk up to a computer and switch pokemon
If you read the other posts...they're...stored in a bush...lol?
Anyway, the name almost made me not click, I'm glad I did though :D
need moar suppurt bannah!
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Sarcastic Prince
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn797 View Post
wow! this hack is awesome!
you must be having great ASM skills!!!
It ain't ASM - it's just awesome scripting skills.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
The Smell
Doof-Man

Another great update! Glad to see you haven't left the thread! I was getting worried there! :o

I can see you are making fast progress!

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Skully367
Bored...REEEEALLY bored.

Quote:

Walking along Dapple Path, the first route in the game. Thanks to advice that I've received, the grass placement is more random than it was previously.
Tile error! I'll let you find it yourself.
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
mervyn797
What? I'm right here. >D

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruka Prince View Post
It ain't ASM - it's just awesome scripting skills.
strange.. why not? its needed to make pokemon change ther sprites (i hope u understand in which sense)
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
strange.. why not? its needed to make pokemon change ther sprites (i hope u understand in which sense)
Which sprites do ya have on mind?
Anyways as other already said there's no ASM on those screenies

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Skully367
Bored...REEEEALLY bored.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Which sprites do ya have on mind?
Anyways as other already said there's no ASM on those screenies
Oh gawd, He just brought up a great point. Name one other way to get picras sprite in the "Party" section to have the same sprite he has on the
"Hero Data" card?
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully367 View Post

Oh gawd, He just brought up a great point. Name one other way to get picras sprite in the "Party" section to have the same sprite he has on the
"Hero Data" card?
Omigod.
She just replaced the trainer sprite, that's all, no ASM, bye.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Skully367
Bored...REEEEALLY bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Summer View Post
Omigod.
She just replaced the trainer sprite, that's all, no ASM, bye.
Your a fool. You get a OPTION of what your "Hero Data" sprite looks like.
I love proving people wrong, Including people who don't look at screen shots before they comment.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully367 View Post

Your a fool. You get a OPTION of what your "Hero Data" sprite looks like.
I love proving people wrong, Including people who don't look at screen shots before they comment.

Did she ever say that? All I read was that the Pichu replaced the trainer sprite. Could you please quote where she said that?

I love proving people wrong too. Especially people who think others are wrong. She replaced the Trainer Sprite with that Pichu sprite, that is all. Basically, she inserted Pichu twice, once as a Pokemon, once as the trainer.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:11 AM
The Smell
Doof-Man

Yeah, that's the way I would've done it... Why are people arguing over this anyway? The point is, the trainer sprite has been changed to match the Pokémon sprite...

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Perri Lightfoot

*head goes back and forth between the argument* There's no ASM here - it's all just basic sprite insertion. ' All I did was replace the pictures of the male and female Trainers with two different Pichu sprites, and then put a third Pichu sprite for the Pokemon itself. No ASM, just UNLZ.gba XD

Anyway...I come bearing screenshots and a support userbar (finally!)

Support the game? Here's a userbar for your sigs

Now, unto the screenshots

I've been working mainly on mapping and inserting more sprites as of late, so this latest route has no scripts on it at the moment ' When you first get unto it, you see some green trees, with a few golden interlopers, until it gradually shifts so the golden trees are the dominant species, with some red trees mixed in

Hey, a Beautifly! She will be involved in a script when I get to it - she's looking for her kidnapped Wurmple and will tag along with you (she doesn't battle, but she'll pop up on the overworld and interact with you from time to time until you find her missing caterpillar) as you help her look for it.

Wait! What is this? Can it be true...you're no longer fated to walk everywhere you go? Originally, I was not intending to implement the Running Shoes feature, since there aren't ready made "running Pichu" sprites, and I'm a poor spriter ' But then I realized that it would be annoying, and unrealistic, if you couldn't run. So I tried my best with the sprites and put the feature in They actually look quite nice in motion...
(Don't get your hopes up, though. The Bike feature will NOT be in XD ).
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:

Pretty cool event looking forward to see more

Quote:
That's sweet position xD
Those running OWs are great Don't underestimate yourself