The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
karoshio
Beginning Trainer

If you have that much python knowledge, enough to make a game from scratch why base it off pokemon, why not make your own game?

I do love how this is looking i'm just curious though.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Nature: Relaxed
Here I am again to revive a dead but awesome Thread!
Hey Spira I hope your still making this game, I'm looking forward to being able to Play as a Blastoise against other fellow pokemon player online, oh and how many servers do you plan on having for this game?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:20 AM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
Wow! This looks great! I can totally see how real-time Pokémon would work. The demo videos have shown off some really great coding, work and ideas.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Spira
Coder for Pokemon Eternity

Send a message via AIM to Spira
Sorry that I let the thread go unanswered for so long, I'll answer some questions again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karoshio View Post
If you have that much python knowledge, enough to make a game from scratch why base it off pokemon, why not make your own game?

I do love how this is looking i'm just curious though.
We are basing it off Pokemon just because we would like to realtime battle with Pokemon. And yes the nice thing about this engine is that it will be adaptable for other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai-Cat View Post
Here I am again to revive a dead but awesome Thread!
Hey Spira I hope your still making this game, I'm looking forward to being able to Play as a Blastoise against other fellow pokemon player online, oh and how many servers do you plan on having for this game?
Yes we are still making this. There hasn't been too much going on in the last month mainly because the main coder has had exams and won't be done for maybe another week or so. She has exams every 6 months so she should have plenty of time after this.

Right now the other coder is working on ways to easily create skills and attacks. We also picked up a new member who is working on a lot of things.

He is working on the world map, some story, recreating certain tiles and buildings to be much larger, new music, logo and graphics, and a forum skin. He is doing an amazing job so far on all the things he has made.

I myself have been working on some interface concepts for items, NPC windows, and a Pokemon information screen.

She was working on some minor things like following and item physics before she had to take a break here are a few videos.
Spoiler:

Multiple Pokemon Following System

Eevee Army!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguy View Post
Wow! This looks great! I can totally see how real-time Pokémon would work. The demo videos have shown off some really great coding, work and ideas.
Thanks. =)
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
nikkooh
Beginning Trainer

keep at it... game looks great off the videos

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM
fireyboy345
Skilled Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
Wow. This is really cool. I really like how you changed the sizes of the trees and other objects to make it look more like a real world. I got to say the maps look very good. Also i glad i have been taking french for the past year (i start french three next week). I can only make out a few words though.
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
trinity_pt
Trainer

Ohhh it looks like a really cool game *-*
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM
punkforlife93
Mudpimp

This is a really cool idea. The way you implemented is way more original than I thought it would be.
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
T3h Kaiser
Jovial Fool

Nature: Rash
Very, very impressive. I would've killed for a game like this back in middle school.

Thanks for the Macintosh love, too. Glad to see we're not forgotten by all you silly PC users!
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
HeavyOctillery
Locked & Loaded

This is definitely different. I like how you can actually control your Pokemon around & attack from different ranges.

I'm surprised this isn't in the Showcase Thread, given the obvious progress.

If ya want this to be a usable emote, copy & paste to show your support!

Support Amber IDE.......because, seriously, we need an actual Pokemon game engine.

For those who don't know, Nintendo has shut down Pokemon Fusion Generation in a massive case of overreach.
Let's show Nintendo that that ain't acceptable.
Use the hashtag #FreePFG on Twitter, so that one guy's hard work isn't erased.

Feel free to PM me if ya have any questions.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Spira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireyboy345 View Post
Wow. This is really cool. I really like how you changed the sizes of the trees and other objects to make it look more like a real world. I got to say the maps look very good. Also i glad i have been taking french for the past year (i start french three next week). I can only make out a few words though.
Yeah, the object transformation capabilities really add some variety. Right now the main thing we need to do is turn current 16x16 autotiles (or I guess autotiles are 48x64 total) to a 32x32 pixel base version without just doubling the size and overpixelate it. If anyone wants to do this, feel free to do so. Would help speed things up for getting the map editor ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity_pt View Post
Ohhh it looks like a really cool game *-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkforlife93 View Post
This is a really cool idea. The way you implemented is way more original than I thought it would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyOctillery View Post
This is definitely different. I like how you can actually control your Pokemon around & attack from different ranges.

I'm surprised this isn't in the Showcase Thread, given the obvious progress.
Thanks guys, the realtime battling is definitely one of the focus in our game. It will be in the showcase thread sometime soon. I just want to get some more progress going before then.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Here I am yet again for all the pokemon updates
so what's the new with the game development Spira?
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
megasuper123
Beginning Trainer

the pokemon mmo looks good.

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Spira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai-Cat View Post
Here I am yet again for all the pokemon updates
so what's the new with the game development Spira?
Well lots of have changed recently and here's the deal on the development.
1) The main coder has basically focused all her work on finishing the map editor while the work on the client and server has been neglected. Basically we had someone work on the map editor and they used some code that eventually presented some problems; so she has been going through to help clean it up. Also she has been working on: terrain features such as surf coast lines and cliff jump ledges, and auto shadow generation.

2) The graphics artist has had lots of RL things going on so he hasn't been on in a month or so. Not much we can do here but we have lots of his great work already and once things clear up he'll be back.

3) Good news is I have been focusing on the server and client. I myself have decided to learn some programming and code so now I am a developer . I have found a much better way for event handling and have been recoding big portions. Unfortunately there isn't really anything visually substantial to show off just yet. All of the improvements are being done to the code itself to make it faster, more manageable, and robust. In a programming sense this is a really big change and improvement that is very exciting for me. Though from the average persons perspective no big features have really changed visually. However I think everyone can agree doing things properly will make things go much smoother in the long run.

There has been some GUI improvements and I may show those soon. The recoding of the client and server has been an ongoing progress for a few weeks. I am about 90% done with the recoding. Around 8% left for converting existing code and 2% for cleanup. Once that's done we can start adding new things once again. I believe the next few milestones will be: items, trade, attack system, NPC.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or if you want to help on anything such as GUI layout, story, town names, etc feel free to contact me. Also I usually idle in the TPC IRC so you may find me there if you want to chat.

Last edited by Spira; September 29th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
PokettoMonsuta
Cut the subsplicity

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PokettoMonsuta
This. Is. Amazing.

I think this could be the best pokemon MMO yet to come !
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Spira

So a lot of the basic functions of the game are starting to get finished and with recalling and releasing Pokemon we are closer to the online battle system. There have been lots of ideas on the battle system but I want to get other peoples opinions. Probably the most basic feature of battles will be to show the HP of the target.

HP - How would you like HP to be displayed? Right now the most intuitive is probably an HP bar over the Pokemon's head. However we could have a 'target' window similar to other MMO games. Where once you click to target the Pokemon it will bring up a portrait a long with their HP and level or whatever. Some might not like that extra clutter though.

Some have even suggested NO HP information is visible for others to create a sense of realism. It could increase the difficulty of the game as it'd be harder to tell when a Pokemon is low on HP and about to faint (although we could make more visual cues like emotes or hurt sprites). I am unsure how popular that would be though.

Would you want HP information to only be sent to only those who are battling eachother or open to anyone who wants to see?

Level - I think the easiest way for levels is just to put it in front or behind the name when highlighting your mouse over the target. However if we do a target window, we could simply put it there.

Anyways those are probably the two starting elements leading to the online battle system so post your thoughts here. As we finish each battle system function, I will post more features that we want feedback for.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:14 AM
CeFurkan0
Pokemon MMORPG PokemonCraft

are you going to make pokemon attack mechanics same as GBA games ?

or you will just make up its mechanics ?

Old October 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Spira

Not sure what you mean by mechanics. The battle mechanics in the GBA games are turn based, this won't be the case here as it's a realtime battle.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
How about a choice if you want the hp shown or not or you can also do a battle menu of the enemy e.g on a place it shows the pkmn id lvl hp type and if it is caught or not!
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
CeFurkan0
Pokemon MMORPG PokemonCraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira View Post
Not sure what you mean by mechanics. The battle mechanics in the GBA games are turn based, this won't be the case here as it's a realtime battle.

so how are you gonna make it ?
i am asking this

for example when charizard hit with flame thrower ?

will you make different animations for all attacks ?

or how much damage will it give and other status effects will be applied ?

Old October 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
mercurysky
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
It seems interesting, anyway, there is something to control in maps. Good luck!
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Hey what do you plan on doing in terms of speed Spira? Will pokemons actual speed in gameplay increase when they level up or are you just gonna cut that out and give each pokemon a predetermined level of speed?

oh and btw I vote for good ol' fashioned healthbars for battles
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Spira

As far as animations go there will be mystery dungeon and platinum effects. If we get someone to sprite and such we will obviously have some custom effects too. The battle mechanics will vary of course including damage, accuracy, and status effects.

I am unsure if we are going to increase movement speed that much for Pokemon, but we'll increase it a little bit depending on the stat of course. I just don't want people so fast they are zipping all over the battle area where people can't even click on them. An idea I have been toying around with in my head is a 'dodge' command/ability. Which will allow you to jump quickly in a direction (with a cooldown time or limit on uses per battle). And then have the speed stat decrease the cooldown time (or increase times can be used in a battle) or increase the range on how far it dodges. Would be a fun mechanic in my opinion.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Arkentu
Beginning Trainer

This looks like a really great game. I have some ideas for it, and if you need some help testing things, well, I'm always willing.
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

The dodge ability sounds really cool, good luck with that.
How are you hoping to incorporate pokemon switching though?

Sponsored Links