• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I don't do fakemon but if I did I would overwrite Pokemon that are practiaclly the same (legendary status, stats etc.).

So practically what Jesse said.

I wouldn't use the extra slots unless I really had to use them, simply because changing 25 pointers that lead to the same thing isn't very interesting. (I'd still do it because I'm stubborn ¬_¬)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I've always wanted Pokemon Battles to last longer. If you have a Ho-oh (and you're battling with the same level), you use its Sacred Fire attack, and the battle ends before it even started.
So, i would give the fakemon +defence. And i would make the weak Pokemon easier to catch, and the legendaries very difficult to catch.
I would/will make the ultimate Pokemon, an unbeatable legendary for Nirvana.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Aren't we all using ROM bases? It's called Pokémon FireRed/Emerald/Ruby etc.

Pretty goood point. And I agree, indeed. What people call "ROM Bases" should actually be "Hack ROM Bases".

And when can we expect the new way to be released?

Sooner than you might think.

Well, for me it's first release is a minimum of two gyms. Then I'd like to see five, then eight and finally the finished article. So, I'm in-between medium and long intervals ;P

I think the minimum length is somehow subjective. I'm going to have "only" one gym in my first beta, though that doesn't mean there won't be put enough effort, obviously.

I have another topic. Tell me your opinion, hacking pokemon games is actually hacking or modding?
A friend of mine was bugging me syaing that we're not hacking pokemon games, we're modding them. I don't know if thats true, but i wanted soem opinions.

For most of the people here, he's pretty damn right. Some people said "hacking" and "modifying" is the same. So wrong... They're not interchangeable. Hacking is all about reverse-engineering and discovery. Once everything is broken into little pieces, you can really understand what the game does under the hood. And the more you learn, the more you will realize you have to teach yourself to understand some things to a deeper level. Needless to say if you just keep expecting people to answer your questions, you won't ever be a true hacker, in the actual meaning of the term. Being a hacker requires desire to learn, and patience, among other skills. There's nothing wrong about pre-made tools. At least, there's nothing wrong if you're not totally clueless what gets changed. But if you just use tools, then you're not a hacker. Hackers do make tools sometimes, and they do use them. They are usually better than a plain hex editor for editing known data. But without a hacker that discovered where the data were and their structures, the tools would not exist in first place. Remember: hacking is research, modifying is just what comes after.

That's correct. You aren't the first to think of it. PKSV already has this (and a better version of it, in my opinion). However, I rarely use PKSV so I suppose having this feature ported to XSE would be helpful.

Yeah. I am the first one to think of it, I suppose XD
It was like in... summer 2007 LOL

I'd say use stock FR tiles but that's just my opinion. It's hard to say whether one set of tiles is better than another because it's a matter of opinion. I just prefer the professional look of the standard tiles.

I like the standard FR/LG tiles. They're nicer that the ones found in R/S/E. But, bringing another related topic: do you people like mixing original FR/LG tiles with totally different-styled tiles (e.g. D/P/Pt/HG/SS)? I dislike that. It's ruins the tileset IMHO. I think all the tiles (pretty much like the original games) should be all in the same style for better homogeneity and a more pleasant look.

Nintendo's just too good with these things. Their palettes are just awesome.

Yes and no. I think they could have made them better, though the default FR/LG ones are somewhat decent.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Pointless-Topic-Time:

Do you people edit the transparency of the Movement Permissions on A-Map. If so, what is yours on right now? Mine is on 0.65.

Egh, I should, but I usually don't. Now that the topic has come up, I think I'm gonna optimize my A-Map..XD

I'd would like to start another topic.

Hacks are coming up nowadays, having little to no things edited. Other people use rom bases that are commonly known. So, how should one take in perspective of a hack? Should people think of a hack based on the storyline and the background put behind a hack, along with scripts? Or base a rating of a hack on the material edited and the skill of it being edited, such as ow's, maps, tiles, or anyhting that rerpresents it graphically, also along with the scripts?

Last edited:

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I think the storyline is the key. Something compelling and fresh. The story sets the tone of the hack. Without the storyline you have a hack like pokemon pikachu, where they spent like 20 minutes on editing all of the sprites to pikachus.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
I think the storyline is the key. Something compelling and fresh. The story sets the tone of the hack. Without the storyline you have a hack like pokemon pikachu, where they spent like 20 minutes on editing all of the sprites to pikachus.

True, that's one reason why I started this...agh, finally someone who takes my perspective.

But isn't it an added bonus if you have the graphical appearance updated? I mean it's your idea,why not customize the visual image you give the person?

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
True, that's one reason why I started this...agh, finally someone who takes my perspective.

But isn't it an added bonus if you have the graphical appearance updated? I mean it's your idea,why not customize the visual image you give the person?

Yes of course you should do that! But only after you have developed your story. For example my hack, Emerald Thunder, suffered because I thought about the graphics first.( I wasn't really planning on it to become a hack) But I developed a story and it pulled me through further. I just need to expand on the story further. And after watching Power Rangers RPM and other things, I am starting to get a pretty good story down and more ideas (which is good, because i didn't have any ideas for ages) As I said before, and I will say it again, storyline is the key!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
For most of the people here, he's pretty damn right. Some people said "hacking" and "modifying" is the same. So wrong... They're not interchangeable. Hacking is all about reverse-engineering and discovery. Once everything is broken into little pieces, you can really understand what the game does under the hood. And the more you learn, the more you will realize you have to teach yourself to understand some things to a deeper level. Needless to say if you just keep expecting people to answer your questions, you won't ever be a true hacker, in the actual meaning of the term. Being a hacker requires desire to learn, and patience, among other skills. There's nothing wrong about pre-made tools. At least, there's nothing wrong if you're not totally clueless what gets changed. But if you just use tools, then you're not a hacker. Hackers do make tools sometimes, and they do use them. They are usually better than a plain hex editor for editing known data. But without a hacker that discovered where the data were and their structures, the tools would not exist in first place. Remember: hacking is research, modifying is just what comes after.
This is a perfect summary of the exact same idea brought up in the document in my signature. I only wish more people would read it (and your abridged version).
Pointless-Topic-Time:

Do you people edit the transparency of the Movement Permissions on A-Map. If so, what is yours on right now? Mine is on 0.65.
omg me 2!!
EHacks are coming up nowadays, having little to no things edited. Other people use rom bases that are commonly known. So, how should one take in perspective of a hack? Should people think of a hack based on the storyline and the background put behind a hack, along with scripts? Or base a rating of a hack on the material edited and the skill of it being edited, such as ow's, maps, tiles, or anyhting that rerpresents it graphically, also along with the scripts?
For me, what matters most is playability. I'm not talking about the mapping style; I'm saying that the best hacks, in my opinion, are the ones that I enjoy playing the most. I mean, isn't that what we're striving for anyways? These games are a form of entertainment so the one that is the most entertaining should therefore be the best. For this reason, Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers is my favorite hack of all time, hands down. destinedjagold did a fabulous job of making the characters come to life (which is, quite honestly, a very difficult task for a simple GBA game) and as I was playing through, I didn't want to stop. I can barely stand playing through most hacks these days, not because of poor quality but because I simply don't enjoy them. But with Rescue Rangers, I just kept coming back for more and that's what makes it such a great hack.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
For me, what matters most is playability. I'm not talking about the mapping style; I'm saying that the best hacks, in my opinion, are the ones that I enjoy playing the most. I mean, isn't that what we're striving for anyways? These games are a form of entertainment so the one that is the most entertaining should therefore be the best. For this reason, Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers is my favorite hack of all time, hands down. destinedjagold did a fabulous job of making the characters come to life (which is, quite honestly, a very difficult task for a simple GBA game) and as I was playing through, I didn't want to stop. I can barely stand playing through most hacks these days, not because of poor quality but because I simply don't enjoy them. But with Rescue Rangers, I just kept coming back for more and that's what makes it such a great hack.

I agree with colcolstyles here.

Who cares about great maps or great storyline when the game isn't enjoyable? I mean, isn't the point of a game to play it and have fun? If you're not doing that...what's the point of playing at all? It's just wasting time if you're not getting enjoyment of some sort out of it.

btw, styles, can you send me an IPS for Rescue Rangers? I can't find a working one.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Good. Because I'm tired of all those old FR gym tiles.

And I hate (<-pardon, excuse me for the unnecessary expression) it when somebody uses a cave tileset in a Gym. I mean, come on.

I have seen that.

No worries for FR tiles in my projects. I hack Ruby, but still gonna change the gym at some point.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
ahem... well, I'm not good at making tiles so...
Recycling isn't bad, right? =3

If by 'Recycling' you mean the old tiles of Fire Red or Ruby, i personally don't like them, or their pallettes. I prefer new tiles and new pallettes, i think they add something more something new to the hack.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
If by 'Recycling' you mean the old tiles of Fire Red or Ruby, i personally don't like them, or their pallettes. I prefer new tiles and new pallettes, i think they add something more something new to the hack.
yeah I agree it takes more skill, efert and time to use new tiles. Pluse I played fr/lg and r/s/e a thosand times, so I am sick of seeing the same old ,same old.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
yeah I agree it takes more skill, efert and time to use new tiles. Pluse I played fr/lg and r/s/e a thosand times, so I am sick of seeing the same old ,same old.
It's posts like these that make me want to crawl up in a whole and die. Game Freak's spriters are some of the best, so I believe that their tiles are fantastic. Default tiles not only are beautiful, but the anatomy of them among other things makes them perfect for GBA.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
It's posts like these that make me want to crawl up in a whole and die. Game Freak's spriters are some of the best, so I believe that their tiles are fantastic. Default tiles not only are beautiful, but the anatomy of them among other things makes them perfect for GBA.

Too right, i agree. I forgot to say in my post, i don't like them comparing to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back