• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
try XSE. It's a good program for that kinda stuff. but you gotta learn how to script.
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried XSE, and learned some basic scripting. But I think I need to know the offset number in order to change some of the text, which I cannot find using Advance Map, such as the intro text, or some other texts in cutscene, like the one when Prof. Birth (or some name like that) is attacked by a Pokemon in the beginning part. Is there any other suggestion? :D

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried XSE, and learned some basic scripting. But I think I need to know the offset number in order to change some of the text, which I cannot find using Advance Map, such as the intro text, or some other texts in cutscene, like the one when Prof. Birth (or some name like that) is attacked by a Pokemon in the beginning part. Is there any other suggestion? :D
Open Advance-Map, see your event/person and there's your offset!
Btw you have to use A-Text to change the intro talking.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2009
How do you change the encounter type? At the moment, I'm mapping a cave, but for fairly important plot related reasons, there is grass inside the cave, and rather than have battles possibly activate on any step, a la ordinary caves, I only want the possibility for battles to activate on steps within grass, just like any normal route. I thought you could do this by going to Advance Map, going to the Map Header, going to Map Options, and selecting the option "Route" under the drop-down list named "Type", but this seems to have had absolutely no effect, and Pokemon still appear on any step as though it was a cave.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
How do you change the encounter type? At the moment, I'm mapping a cave, but for fairly important plot related reasons, there is grass inside the cave, and rather than have battles possibly activate on any step, a la ordinary caves, I only want the possibility for battles to activate on steps within grass, just like any normal route. I thought you could do this by going to Advance Map, going to the Map Header, going to Map Options, and selecting the option "Route" under the drop-down list named "Type", but this seems to have had absolutely no effect, and Pokemon still appear on any step as though it was a cave.

It is in the Block Behaviour for the tiles. Select the tile you are walking on in Block Editor, and change the behaviour to 00, to make it do nothing (however, I would kinda just make a copy of the tile that has no behaviour in a different spot in the Tileset, and then use that one, as if you change it to 00, it stays like that every time you use the Tileset, meaning no cave has random battles)

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
so deviation, you mean we can actually decide where random battle will appear..cool!
i never knew that. thx a billion.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
It is all determined by Block Behaviour. You will be surprised at what Block Behaviour can do (however, be careful, when determining Random battles, apparently the battle background will always be the caves. I am not sure of this, as I was told it)

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2009
Thanks, that had been puzzling me for a while. Foolishly, I'd assumed only behaviour 2 caused wild battles.

So by having a block that looks no different from the others, but in fact has a behaviour of 8, and by changing the encounter rate to 100, we could have a cave where if you step on a certain tile, an encounter is forced, but all the others are safe? Because if so, that would be extremely useful.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks, that had been puzzling me for a while. Foolishly, I'd assumed only behaviour 2 caused wild battles.
So by having a block that looks no different from the others, but in fact has a behaviour of 8, and by changing the encounter rate to 100, we could have a cave where if you step on a certain tile, an encounter is forced, but all the others are safe? Because if so, that would be extremely useful.

If they had the behaviour for Wild Battle Encounter (I am not sure what that is in Firered) then yeah. If all the other tiles were 00, or anything other than Water tiles, or encounter tiles, as the water tiles kinda force battles as well. (I think...)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Yeah but ya cannot change intro texts with it.
And maybe even level scripts... but I'm not sure about it.
HA, another example of how my tutorial would of benifited the community. (crinco said it was common knolage :C)

On Topic, You can edit the intro text eather use visual boy and find the texts offset and decomlie it as text in xse, or find the offset ( or I can just tel you the offset) and put it in the script search in PKSV and decomplie it has text.

It is all determined by Block Behaviour. You will be surprised at what Block Behaviour can do (however, be careful, when determining Random battles, apparently the battle background will always be the caves. I am not sure of this, as I was told it)
use 08 00 for a flor backrond.

so deviation, you mean we can actually decide where random battle will appear..cool!
i never knew that. thx a billion.
you know a basic wildbattle scipt would work too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2011
Here is my question...

for a personal project, I've wanted to make my own gen 1 pokemon save editor. I have seen one released over a decade ago, and wanted to use it as a reference. However upon using it to do a minor change to the file (money held), it became unreadable to the game. I tried manually changing the variable. Same result, saying the save file was corrupted. Is this a form of anti-tamperment, or am I hacking the file incorrectly?

I am using the last release of VBA to emulate Pokemon Blue.

Hassamu_Scizor

The Impulse
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2009
Ok this might be somewhere in the hundreds of pages here, I searched for it but I only skimmed through everything that came up and none of the posts seemed to relate to the upcoming question. I think the answer may be "learn how to use XSE and Advance Map together better" but here goes:

How do I do either of these things:
Move the starting area? Like from Pallet to say, Saffron.
Start with a Pokemon? Like Growlithe or Scizor?

I'm kinda lazy so if it's a really easy answer or something sorry for wasting your time...

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
I'm having a problem inserting my titlescreen, however it only happens under certain circumstances. I'm using NTME to make a tilemap to insert a pokemon or a new background, but whenever i insert and load it up in VBA, it doesn't work. But if I load it up in No$ Gba, it does.., so does anybody know how i can make it work in VBA?>

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
On Topic, You can edit the intro text eather use visual boy and find the texts offset and decomlie it as text in xse, or find the offset ( or I can just tel you the offset) and put it in the script search in PKSV and decomplie it has text.

Could you tell me how to find the offsets, other than tracing it using A-Map?

By the way, I have another question. How can I change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally? I see in the text that there is a variable [RIVAL]. Is it possible that I can find the offset where the names are assigned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back