• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Do you follow the normal rules of battling when writing a Pokemon battle, or do you hold a no-rules fight that can involve guns and the such?
It depends on who's doing the battling. Since I'm doing an OT fic and focusing on normal people, battles usually have the same-old rules to them. But, some of my characters aren't exactly what you can call a law-abiding citizen, so 'cheating' by using knives and guns can come into play (though they haven't made an appearance in-fic yet).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
"I anticipated that, so I took my Thallium Sulphate antidote before coming here."

Do you follow the normal rules of battling when writing a Pokemon battle, or do you hold a no-rules fight that can involve guns and the such?

Most of my battles follow the rules, though there have been threats to pull weapons. Of course, what happens after the battle is another story. From trying to break limbs off to sucker punches to pulling out AK-47's and the use of tasers, I run the gamut.

Then again, there's my infamous battles like "Prime Number or Not" and "Highways of the Charlotte, NC Metro Area" which involve no Pokemon at all. Those are the most epic by far :P

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Infraction: impersonating the Gamemaster. Penalty: your blood turns to acid.

(Continued from above) You all take 10 damage. I'm keeping track. Also, no guns allowed. *vaporizes* Please state your name and list what else is in your pockets if you are entering.

...Yeah, there really isn't enough room up there. We may need to find another way to do this. XD Perhaps we could keep it to spoilers at the end of our posts?

In other news, I went to a private school from 1st-6th grade. It was the worst.

Last edited:

Lash

Years

Normal rules, but its like a super fast-paced battle in the game, but realistic and ****. Sort of like a combination of anime battles and manga battles. Ignoring all the Dues Ex Macchina crap that goes on in anime battles, lol. There seriously is some good stuff to learn there.

Damn I'm high... I was all like "What the crap?" when I got done writing my answer, lol.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

Normal rules, of course! It's Pokemon, dangnabbit!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
One word. Torn.

Hehehe. Although it's a moot point as few Pokemon were involved. :/

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015

I usually try to make them as crappy and bland as humanly possible, and then add some eye lasers and toasterbunnies.

Lame jokes aside, I would take a bold guess that very few ever thinks of the idea of having someone intervene with guns and such. Technical gym battles can tend to be different though.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years

No holds barred. Throughout my fan fictions the pokemon are capable (and encouraged) to attack the trainer if possible. Guns are involved heavily throughout the story along with sharp pointy objects (knifes, swords, etc.)

It's fun writing battles. I look forward to them.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I usually have my characters follow the rules of a battle. I write Pokemon battles as competitions with their own set of rules. Just as you might cheat in a board game, my characters might cheat in a Pokemon battle occasionally. They could command their Pokemon to attack another trainer, or etc. But they usually don't, unless they're purposely trying to cause permanent harm.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?

Polish because that's a language I know. Only if I did such a thing I'd have to brush up on it. A lot. XD It's a fickle language, it is.

For me, it depends on the situation, I suppose. Sometimes I will follow the 'normal' rules, but often my battles tend to involve something beyond just beating up other trainer's Pokemon, but also snagging (stealing) Pokemon as well from said trainers. Obviously this may result in some events as said trainer who's Pokemon was stolen may feel indifferent about the whole matter and so forth. XD

A few times things have changed up as well, such as a full-out war between Pokemon trainers breaking out (lots of trainers' Pokemon against a few), and once I've had a battle in which something had to be protected from the opponents breaking it during the battle. Usually however in 'normal' circumstances, battles take form of the double battles format, as that's how it's done in Pokemon Colosseum and my fic aims to follow the events there...somewhat. It's the generally accepted format for battles in Orre.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?
That would have to be Spanish, definitely. It's such a fun language.

And lol, Haruka of Hoenn. The text in your sig reminds me of the Ceiling Cat meme.

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
Years

It really depends on the fic. In rise of a ranger it's usually a bit more similar to a normal battle, but in Remembering the Horror, where there is a war going on (in some chapters), the Pokemon ARE the weapons. I kinda figure that guns are kinda useless if your opponent can blow you away with his Pokemon's Hyper Beam, paralyse you with a Thunderwave and so on.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
How do you feel about prologues in fics?
I've noticed that most fics on here have a prologue of sorts, and I've never really liked that. While some of some of my favorite parts of novels are the prologue and appendixes, it's usually a sign of a bad writer when they write a prologue that sets up the background of the story and/or universe.

The best kind of writer doesn't tell you what state the world is in via a prologue. Rather, they show it by developing the story and characters. Tolkien did this in the Lord of the Rings. He didn't start out with a prologue explaining the history of the One Ring, or even a summary of the Silmarillion... He started with Frodo and made hints here and there, and only told exactly what was going on at the Council of Elrond, a few hundred pages in. At this point you actually cared about the world, when in the case of most prologues you're just getting a history lesson, and who cares, right?

This is especially obvious in many movies... If there's a prologue of sorts, especially a long one, then you can probably bet that the movie itself will be near-incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the source-material. If you really need a prologue to set up a movie, then you're probably not developing the characters or plot in the right way. Most books these days, particularly bad fantasy, have a habit of doing this. Usually they're trying to pull a Tolkien by establishing a mythos, but do it all wrong.

Ha. Looks like I rambled on there... Well, getting to the point, how do all of you feel about use of prologues in fics? How do you feel about your own use of them? Do you do anything to avoid the usual pitfalls associated with them, or do you just not care and set up the world so you can jump right into the action? (Ironically, I can't seem to work around writing a prologue for my epic fic. It's not really a "This is the state of the world" kind of prologue, but it sets some things up regardless)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I don't mind them as long as they're not info-dumps. I spend a paragraph of mine briefly describing the region, then shift into a tactical team executing a late-night raid on a research facility. The main character is not even mentioned in it.

Prologues need to be a way to draw the reader into the story, not tell them intricate details about the setting and characters.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Prologues are good to ease the reader into the story and get them hooked right away. Basically, a prologue is something significant that happened before your main plot begins.
But not all stories need prologues. It all depends on the type of story you're writing. If your plot starts out nice and calm, but then elevates into something much more exciting and terrifying, you could do a bit of foreshadowing in the prologue. If your beginning chapter is strong enough, you might not need a prologue to back it up.

I personally like reading prologues, since they give me more insight into the world of the story. A turn-off for me is when the author crams in too much information. Then, the prologue might as well be the first chapter.

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
Years

I really don't mind them as long as they're not the only thing there. For example when someone posts a prologue that is 300 words, and then a week later the first chapter... I don't get it. Not enough to catch my attention.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Here's an idea. This isn't for Pokemon, it's for Naruto. Write a fanfic about how different Sasuke would of turned out if he hadn't of found out about Itachi killing his parents, and Itachi had just ran off after killing them so that when Sasuke got home Itachi was already gone.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years

I use prologues mainly as a prerequisite for things to come or just to introduce the main character. I believe strongly in prologues because it gives the reader look on what is going to happen.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I don't condemn prologues nor do I support them. To me, if you're substantially good in writing, then you may be able to insert snippets of the setting of your story in the story without detracting from the main storyline by using up a chapter for that.

However, if you're not confident in your ability to do that, you may consider writing a prologue by outlining the setting of the story without revealing plot details, or you may choose to show something that happened prior to the beginning of the story.

Conversely, you may choose to do both. Write a prologue and add little snipets of history and setting about your story at the beginning and throughout the story.

Konekodemon said:
Here's an idea. This isn't for Pokemon, it's for Naruto. Write a fanfic about how different Sasuke would of turned out if he hadn't of found out about Itachi killing his parents, and Itachi had just ran off after killing them so that when Sasuke got home Itachi was already gone.
Are you planning on writing this? If not, then may I suggest the Plot Bunny thread which has been inactive for quite some time. Wait, scratch that, Astinus might just lock the thread becasue it's probably been a whole month since it was last posted in. I'm not sure, it's up to Astinus' discretion.

The idea sounds interesting though. I would imagine that Sasuke would be a very different person indeed. Although he's naturally talented, I doubt that he would have had the motivation to do anything.

On a friendlier note adhering to the FFL's Do-not-tl;dr Posts Policy, I have something to say.

Today I saw a boy(about sixteen years old) giving a talk about how Fiction Novels(Harry Potter, Twilight, ect.) actually made you more stupid than you actually are. He said this because whenever he asked someone why they read these books, they would reply with, "to improve my English." It annoys me to no end that he accused the books that have helped inspire writers and get some kids interested in reading, to actually make you even more stupid. The alternative, that he stated, would be to read something beneficial such as Law or complicated Physics. In my opinion, these kind of books would most likely turn off some people from reading at all.

Which brings us to our next topic:
Do you think reading fiction is beneficial if well written. Why?
You should already know my answer based on the above. Yes.

Also,
What do you base your non-canon fic characters off? Yourselves, Sentrets with flamethrowers? People in the FFL?

Who did not tl;dr this raise their hand... XDDDD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Personally, it depends on the type of fic the person is writing. If they were to write a straightfoward pokemon journey to achieve a certain goal, there is often not a desire for a prologue, however I would say that they really help to portray the theme and set of the fic. For example. something I'm writing at the moment, happens to be loosely based on elements of theories within philosophy and psycology, so I feel the need to display a prologue to give the reader more of an insight on the theories. In my opinion they can be great for explaining things in a fic without gong into too much detail. If I were to explain the term "Duality" in a fanfic, it would be long and drastic. Instead I would use the word in a story, or implement it into my prologue thus explaining it, whilst setting the scene for the rest of the fanfic. Prologues however, take a certain style of writing and almost require the writer to jump out their skin a little so that they can stick with a nice structure. They cna certainly add depth to a fic. It's hard to find a right balance with a prologue, it's hard to know whether or not it's too short or whether to lengthen it without giving too much of the plot away.

Binary. It would be quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back