Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2009 (12:59 AM).

Clain

Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky

Well I'm pretty proud of myself... I managed to finish this at 2am... (Took me till 5am for my History essay... though I did start it at 7pm the night before it was due but it was also due at 11am, whereas this English one is due at 10am)... Hrmmm okay well not that much of a difference, but I did start this one a tiny bit yesterday and it does have to be like 9-12 pages... God knows how I managed to write all that... Oh crap... I'm like writing a paragraph now...

Oooo on a side note (aside from going crazy, no I didn't drink caffeine) usually this is the time when I'm supposed to be talking in a more formal speech, because of the adverse affects of writing an essay...

Not sure why this isn't so much the case, but I have my theories:

- I've gotten used to it (which is bad, because I shouldn't be procrastinating)
- The essay was to be in 1st person... Something I am not used to... I hate first person essays so much... In this case our essay is not really a research essay but an essay about the research (so essentially the essay is a lead up to the would be research essay... That is why she wants first person... So in this case, it is to some extent okay to write a commentary... As long as that commentary is formal to some extent anyway...........

Okay so year... (I think I'm just trying to get a load off here, seeing as I am no longer 100% tired from just typing away). Look what I've done, I've gone through essay typing withdrawl, and already had to start typing somewhere elses...

BLARGHHHHHHH!!!

Yes I know... I brought this upon myself...

Also, because I felt like it, I decided to add the word "Compendium" into my essay. XD

Well it is about the King James Bible... So it works... I also used Calibri in my essay, as Times New Roman was just a bit smaller than I wanted to.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 4th, 2009 (1:27 AM). Edited December 4th, 2009 by Elite Overlord LeSabre™.
On that 'Non stop road'
Gold Tier

What running gags do you sometimes employ in your fics (aside from the running gags in the original source for fan fics)?
- Lisa fidgets and rips her pantyhose often during tense battles. This is usually followed by her complaining about having to buy more.
- A nerd shows up from time to time to challenge Lisa to contests of useless trivia.
- When Lisa wants her Pokemon to dodge an attack, she will say "Dodge <name of Dodge car; i.e., Ram 1500/Charger/Dynasty/Coronet*> that attack!"
- And on the subject of cars, Lisa goes nuts over vintage cars, and will drop everything when she sees one.

*Yes, Virginia, there is a Dodge Coronet - at least they used to make 'em, from 1949-1976.
^Elite Overlord's Useless Trivia For the Day.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Old December 4th, 2009 (1:38 AM).
I'm in love...with Ash!

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBlue

Well, Feign, congratulations on the fact that you finished your research essay!

Let's celebrate!

"Our hearts are made of fragile glass. One crack and we have no more heart. We must take care of it."
Old December 4th, 2009 (5:30 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm

Congrats Feign!!!
Let's celebrate!

What running gags do you sometimes employ in your fics (aside from the running gags in the original source for fan fics)?
In my new, soon to be, non-TCNG, fic, all the Professors are incompetent(which is lampshaded), and the protagonist is able to hear the narrator(to a certain extent), among other things.

his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old December 4th, 2009 (6:25 AM).

Clain

Platinum Tier

lol thanks...

Fun fact:

the essay is 14 pages long (including a title and work cited page)
It is exactly 2757 word

Old December 4th, 2009 (7:01 AM).
Peace & Goodwill
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet

Quote originally posted by Feign:
Hey guys wish me luck... I'm nearly done my research essay... (1:14 am righ now)

*pets his chronic procrastination*

7:02 here. *pets his chronic insomnia*

What is the current setting (time, place etc.) of your current/soon to be written fic?

It's coming up on Christmas in the Eon Chronicles. I'm planning on a Christmas special, yay.

sig art by かんな
Old December 4th, 2009 (10:05 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
7:02 here. *pets his chronic insomnia*
*Pets chronic paranoia*
At the FFl, each of us has a chronic something more or less.

Quote originally posted by Feign:
the essay is 14 pages long (including a title and work cited page)
It is exactly 2757 word
I'm curious, what font and font size did you use? I'm wondering because my SWC entry(which I'm currently editing to post soon), is 4187 words, and yet only has 9 pages... So yeah, wondering...

What is the current setting (time, place etc.) of your current/soon to be written fic?
TCNG is set a few years in the future, but not too far. XD
Most of the action takes place in Hoenn, but there is some in Sinnoh.

Reflection in the Storm(SWC entry) is set in the current time and on Route 123 of Hoenn.

The new parody fic I'm planning is set in Johto and to a certain extent, our world.

---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old December 4th, 2009 (10:27 AM).

Clain

Platinum Tier

Well had I used times new roman, I believe I would have either just made 13 pages. Seeing as Calibri was slightly bigger in the same font size as Times New Roman, I took that. XD

Though on the instructions itself, it did not mention what it should be, though, some teachers like calibri 11 pnt font, and others like times new roman 12, so I decided to go in the middle. XD

It was also paragraphed in a different manner (as required by the teacher) so there were great gaps between some paragraphs (a new page for summaries for example, which was one aspect of the essay).

Old December 4th, 2009 (12:15 PM).
what's your sign?

What is the current setting(time, place ect.) of your current/soon to be written fic?

You know, I've actually made a timeline for all of my stories. I don't have it on hand to scan right now, since it's in my notebook at school, but I believe Delta Species takes place sometime around 2010 (Metal Coat was 2008 or something to that effect). My soon-to-be-written story (Don't Stop The Future - working title, subject to change, blah blah) will take place in an undetermined place in The Timeline Of Doom, but will have happened after Delta Species (it's about the Arceus movie, and definitely will be later on than one of the halves of that movie).

None, honestly. xD I haven't found any place where I could insert a running gag, except for maybe with the introduction of one character in Delta Species a little later on.

Old December 4th, 2009 (2:58 PM).
On that 'Non stop road'
Gold Tier

What is the current setting(time, place ect.) of your current/soon to be written fic?
Fall 2006 to Fall 2007. Most of it takes place in my made-up region, but there are a couple scenes that take place in Anderson and Pickens Counties in South Carolina.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Old December 4th, 2009 (9:33 PM).
I'm in love...with Ash!

Well...anyway, I'm advertising my fic Operation Confession. SpecialShipping, wheee!

"Our hearts are made of fragile glass. One crack and we have no more heart. We must take care of it."
Old December 4th, 2009 (10:12 PM).
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz

I'm shamefully advertising my fanfiction because I can't get reviews or I'm a terrible write :P Oh well. Anyway link in sig, and this is the longest fanfiction I have ever wrote: 22,309 words or 53 pages in word. Phew!

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old December 5th, 2009 (3:19 AM).
Peace & Goodwill
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet

I think I'll just leave this here:

http://www.scarlett-archer.com/otherthansaid.html

sig art by かんな
Old December 5th, 2009 (3:31 AM).
The Swiftiest
Crystal Tier

Lol, awesome. I was just thinking that I should find some new words to use in place of said.

Also...

'190. Crapped on'

I lol'd. xD

Old December 5th, 2009 (2:13 PM).

Wait for it

Nature: Sassy

Bah, I was studying for my finals and you guys are being active here! D:

NE is pretty much set at Sinnoh and a couple years after Ash and company journeyed through Sinnoh (though they are not done with Sinnoh yet). However, because the story is written and finished before the 12th movie is released, I have to break canon there and make it seem the events in the 12th movie didn't happen. D: I'm rewriting the story right now, so I might change the ending a bit to be true to the anime canon. Then again, the movies and the show contradict each other sometimes. O.o

As for year, I talked to one of my friends because he's going to feature one of my characters in his future fic, so let's just say NE is set in 2006. Did that though because I written NE in that year, actually (though it's a different version). XD

One running gag in NE is Balin stealing food, though it only happened twice. Another running gag is Bunny getting frustrated with people calling her cute nicknames.

And txtclipse, love that link. Some of those words are good replacements for said (although I think said can be more effective sometimes), but some of them just makes no sense. XD;

Writing Sprint #1 (June 20-26th)
Old December 5th, 2009 (3:48 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super ModeratorPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Quote originally posted by Haz:
I'm shamefully advertising my fanfiction because I can't get reviews or I'm a terrible write :P Oh well. Anyway link in sig, and this is the longest fanfiction I have ever wrote: 22,309 words or 53 pages in word. Phew!
o_o I still have to review your fic. Blame it on my work schedule being all screwed up. I'm home from work tomorrow so, I'll look at at least your first chapter then.

Also, another word for said that has been used recently in published work is ejaculated.

Blame solovino for showing me how to make text blink.

Old December 5th, 2009 (3:52 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
o_o I still have to review your fic. Blame it on my work schedule being all screwed up. I'm home from work tomorrow so, I'll look at at least your first chapter then.

Also, another word for said that has been used recently in published work is ejaculated.

Lol.

Yes, it is, apparently. I remember reading it in HP.

"Ron ejaculated loudly".

Btw, why it doesn't blink for me?

Old December 5th, 2009 (3:56 PM).

Clain

Platinum Tier

Also, another word for said that has been used recently in published work is <css-span="text-decoration:blink;">ejaculated.</css-span>

*css-span="text-decoration:rainbow;"*test.*/css-span*

Replace ** with []

test.

Yeah I remember that being in there. XD

I'm updating my computer to windows 7 so I haven't had the chance to write on my fic yet.

Old December 5th, 2009 (6:24 PM).
what's your sign?

I don't remember reading that. |D My memory isn't the greatest when it comes to certain phrases in a book, though, so I guess it's to be expected. ...Also, darn you, writer's block.

Old December 5th, 2009 (8:17 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar

Quote originally posted by Misheard Whisper:
The point. You missed it.

Completely. We're assuming here that your characters want to get out in a hurry.

I know these kinds of bold questions are open to interpretation, but why bother answering if you're just going to act like you're too good for the rest of us?

Your character is stuck in an elevator. What Macgyver-ish, or realistic, way would your character utilise to escape the elevator?

Acting like I'm better than the rest of you? Umm... Okay. The question was how your character would react to get out of the elevator. My character sits tight and waits for the technicians to do their job, which is the safest and most realistic way there is. May not be Macgyverish, but it's how he'd do it. Didn't mean to appear I was acting that way.

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

(Image courtesy of Broadway)

Old December 5th, 2009 (8:50 PM).

Clain

Platinum Tier

Okay... Just finished (sort of) installing Windows 7... Now I have to update some drivers... especially of that of my mouse pad and bluetooth mouse...

Old December 5th, 2009 (9:33 PM). Edited December 5th, 2009 by Haz.
Haz ya seen my hack?

Send a message via Yahoo to Haz

Forgot you were going to that :P Many thanks!

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old December 5th, 2009 (11:39 PM).
I'm in love...with Ash!

Yeah...advice to people who want to write about the Old Chateau: be scary. Very scary. So scary you scare the heck out of your readers!

Although people who want to write romance fics set in the OC are excluded.

Old December 6th, 2009 (8:37 AM). Edited December 6th, 2009 by Mizan de la Plume Kuro.
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Lol-worthy and oh, so useful. XD

Quote originally posted by SkyBlue:
Yeah...advice to people who want to write about the Old Chateau: be scary. Very scary. So scary you scare the heck out of your readers!

Although people who want to write romance fics set in the OC are excluded.

Check out Shrike Flamestar's(a.k.a. Shrike) A Haunting at The Old Chateau. :D

I really have nothing to say. D: Quick, someone come up with a bold topic.

---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old December 6th, 2009 (9:17 AM). Edited December 6th, 2009 by Giratina ♀.
what's your sign?

If all of your characters were told that the story's current setting was too 'boring' and the fic was to be resumed in a high-school boarding school, how would they react?

Blame Total Drama Action.

Anyway, the recurring thoughts among my characters would be: "What, so you're cramming all the Gym Leaders into a high school...?"

Sponsored Links