• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Eternity - Realtime Battles, future MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
So a lot of the basic functions of the game are starting to get finished and with recalling and releasing Pokemon we are closer to the online battle system. There have been lots of ideas on the battle system but I want to get other peoples opinions. Probably the most basic feature of battles will be to show the HP of the target.

HP - How would you like HP to be displayed? Right now the most intuitive is probably an HP bar over the Pokemon's head. However we could have a 'target' window similar to other MMO games. Where once you click to target the Pokemon it will bring up a portrait a long with their HP and level or whatever. Some might not like that extra clutter though.

Some have even suggested NO HP information is visible for others to create a sense of realism. It could increase the difficulty of the game as it'd be harder to tell when a Pokemon is low on HP and about to faint (although we could make more visual cues like emotes or hurt sprites). I am unsure how popular that would be though.

Would you want HP information to only be sent to only those who are battling eachother or open to anyone who wants to see?

Level - I think the easiest way for levels is just to put it in front or behind the name when highlighting your mouse over the target. However if we do a target window, we could simply put it there.

Anyways those are probably the two starting elements leading to the online battle system so post your thoughts here. As we finish each battle system function, I will post more features that we want feedback for.

CeFurkan0

Pokemon MMORPG PokemonCraft
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Feb 13, 2011
are you going to make pokemon attack mechanics same as GBA games ?

or you will just make up its mechanics ?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Not sure what you mean by mechanics. The battle mechanics in the GBA games are turn based, this won't be the case here as it's a realtime battle.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
How about a choice if you want the hp shown or not or you can also do a battle menu of the enemy e.g on a place it shows the pkmn id lvl hp type and if it is caught or not!

CeFurkan0

Pokemon MMORPG PokemonCraft
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Feb 13, 2011
Not sure what you mean by mechanics. The battle mechanics in the GBA games are turn based, this won't be the case here as it's a realtime battle.

so how are you gonna make it ?
i am asking this

for example when charizard hit with flame thrower ?

will you make different animations for all attacks ?

or how much damage will it give and other status effects will be applied ?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
It seems interesting, anyway, there is something to control in maps. Good luck!

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Hey what do you plan on doing in terms of speed Spira? Will pokemons actual speed in gameplay increase when they level up or are you just gonna cut that out and give each pokemon a predetermined level of speed?

oh and btw I vote for good ol' fashioned healthbars for battles

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
As far as animations go there will be mystery dungeon and platinum effects. If we get someone to sprite and such we will obviously have some custom effects too. The battle mechanics will vary of course including damage, accuracy, and status effects.

I am unsure if we are going to increase movement speed that much for Pokemon, but we'll increase it a little bit depending on the stat of course. I just don't want people so fast they are zipping all over the battle area where people can't even click on them. An idea I have been toying around with in my head is a 'dodge' command/ability. Which will allow you to jump quickly in a direction (with a cooldown time or limit on uses per battle). And then have the speed stat decrease the cooldown time (or increase times can be used in a battle) or increase the range on how far it dodges. Would be a fun mechanic in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2009
This looks like a really great game. I have some ideas for it, and if you need some help testing things, well, I'm always willing.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
The dodge ability sounds really cool, good luck with that.
How are you hoping to incorporate pokemon switching though?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
The dodge ability sounds really cool, good luck with that.
How are you hoping to incorporate pokemon switching though?
Not sure what you mean. Switching will be as easy as releasing another Pokemon into the wild. You can recall the other as well.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
What I meant was, is there gonna be some kind of penalty for switching pokemon in the middle of a battle. In the games when you do that, the opposing pokemon gets a free attack. Are you planning on making some kind of penalty for switching in the middle of a battle?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Well when you pull out a Pokemon there will be a small delay before you can control it leaving it vulnerable. I'm sure we can add more penalties if it's not enough.

Anyways progress has been going. I made a small video cast a few weeks ago to show the progress then. Other than that, I'll show the updates since then in another video. (Sometime in the new coming week or so.)

EDIT: Fixed the video.

Right now I'm in need of some experienced interface and layout graphics people. I have some stuff done but since I've started coding, I don't really have much time for graphics. Just need someone to brainstorm layout ideas with, and for them to make interface graphics. If any of you know someone, let me know. No one has really contacted me on PC, so kind of disappointing, but PM me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2010
Well when you pull out a Pokemon there will be a small delay before you can control it leaving it vulnerable. I'm sure we can add more penalties if it's not enough.

Anyways progress has been going. I made a small video cast a few weeks ago to show the progress then. Other than that, I'll show the updates since then in another video. (Sometime in the new coming week or so.)

Right now I'm in need of some experienced interface and layout graphics people. I have some stuff done but since I've started coding, I don't really have much time for graphics. Just need someone to brainstorm layout ideas with, and for them to make interface graphics. If any of you know someone, let me know. No one has really contacted me on PC, so kind of disappointing, but PM me.

Looks amazing, really can't wait. Loving when you throw the pokeball :)

Lén1

Eternity Staff
Years
I just post to tell that GerardDuFoin, our spriter, have done the 251st pokemon ...
(in fact he takes them for SrpiterRessources and he cut them and place them in a particular way).

Oh yeah, I'm not courageous enough to read the full thread but, kami promise us that the open beta will be released in December 2009 ... and she's on holiday the 18th ...

What a great Xmas present ! yeay !

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Hurray there is a god!!

oh and Len your profile pic is awesome

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
Those videos are amazing. A totally different battle system! Eeeee! Flame Wheel actually being useful! It's so exciting. It is going to change everything, though. The old Pokemon teams won't work as well in your system, I'll bet.

The map editor really blew me away. Obviously it's a very different kind of map from the traditional tile map, but what you made in 2 minutes would have taken an hour in a regular map editor. It makes me sad that our tools are so primitive. XD I wish you guys would make some programs that the rest of us could use. Like a map editor that's flexible and uses layers.

Did you really say BETA? Oh my gosh. So exciting. >3< I can't believe a game like this might actually come out during my lifetime.

The sprites are from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, aren't they?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
I went ahead and fixed the video link a few posts ago as it was dead.

Anyways, yeah, progress is still going. Been coding some new stuff and also re-coding existing things to work much better (server and client wise). No videos or anything at the moment partly because I am a little lazy and a lot of the work being done is 'under the hood'.

I don't know about open beta as there are lots of parts still undeveloped (due to her being absent so long). However, maybe some sort of stress test to check for bugs in the network and code with many people connected. At the very least it'll be a glimpse of what's done and what's to come.

However at this point I'm pretty much waiting on the other coder to finish up certain things.

Yes having layers in the maps is great, agreed. :) And yes the sprites are from Mystery Dungeon.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Wow, Spira I finally watched your video and it is simply amazing, your vision of a Pokemon game is so unique and it's basically the kind of Pokemon game everyone has been waiting for since the 90's, so congratulations on what you've accomplished so far.

but as always I have a few more questions:

-are you planning on incorporating a story to the game?

-And if you planning on incorporating a story, will it be similar to the original games or be completely brand new?

-what are you planning in terms of starter pokemon?

-have you guys considered anything in terms of music for the game?

-will you be planning on incorporating special Pokemon like Zapdo's or eevee to be available to player's in a one time only event per player? (like in Pokemon Red & Blue)

-Will there be User Names for our trainers when we enter the game?

sorry for all the questions, but I just can't help it. Your game looks so amazing and I can't wait to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back