The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Spira
Coder for Pokemon Eternity

Send a message via AIM to Spira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai-Cat View Post
The dodge ability sounds really cool, good luck with that.
How are you hoping to incorporate pokemon switching though?
Not sure what you mean. Switching will be as easy as releasing another Pokemon into the wild. You can recall the other as well.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Nature: Relaxed
What I meant was, is there gonna be some kind of penalty for switching pokemon in the middle of a battle. In the games when you do that, the opposing pokemon gets a free attack. Are you planning on making some kind of penalty for switching in the middle of a battle?
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Spira

Well when you pull out a Pokemon there will be a small delay before you can control it leaving it vulnerable. I'm sure we can add more penalties if it's not enough.

Anyways progress has been going. I made a small video cast a few weeks ago to show the progress then. Other than that, I'll show the updates since then in another video. (Sometime in the new coming week or so.)

EDIT: Fixed the video.

Right now I'm in need of some experienced interface and layout graphics people. I have some stuff done but since I've started coding, I don't really have much time for graphics. Just need someone to brainstorm layout ideas with, and for them to make interface graphics. If any of you know someone, let me know. No one has really contacted me on PC, so kind of disappointing, but PM me.

Last edited by Spira; December 8th, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
ConR
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira View Post
Well when you pull out a Pokemon there will be a small delay before you can control it leaving it vulnerable. I'm sure we can add more penalties if it's not enough.

Anyways progress has been going. I made a small video cast a few weeks ago to show the progress then. Other than that, I'll show the updates since then in another video. (Sometime in the new coming week or so.)

Right now I'm in need of some experienced interface and layout graphics people. I have some stuff done but since I've started coding, I don't really have much time for graphics. Just need someone to brainstorm layout ideas with, and for them to make interface graphics. If any of you know someone, let me know. No one has really contacted me on PC, so kind of disappointing, but PM me.
Looks amazing, really can't wait. Loving when you throw the pokeball
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Lén
Eternity Staff

I just post to tell that GerardDuFoin, our spriter, have done the 251st pokemon ...
(in fact he takes them for SrpiterRessources and he cut them and place them in a particular way).

Oh yeah, I'm not courageous enough to read the full thread but, kami promise us that the open beta will be released in December 2009 ... and she's on holiday the 18th ...

What a great Xmas present ! yeay !
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Hurray there is a god!!

oh and Len your profile pic is awesome
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
Those videos are amazing. A totally different battle system! Eeeee! Flame Wheel actually being useful! It's so exciting. It is going to change everything, though. The old Pokemon teams won't work as well in your system, I'll bet.

The map editor really blew me away. Obviously it's a very different kind of map from the traditional tile map, but what you made in 2 minutes would have taken an hour in a regular map editor. It makes me sad that our tools are so primitive. XD I wish you guys would make some programs that the rest of us could use. Like a map editor that's flexible and uses layers.

Did you really say BETA? Oh my gosh. So exciting. >3< I can't believe a game like this might actually come out during my lifetime.

The sprites are from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, aren't they?

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Spira

I went ahead and fixed the video link a few posts ago as it was dead.

Anyways, yeah, progress is still going. Been coding some new stuff and also re-coding existing things to work much better (server and client wise). No videos or anything at the moment partly because I am a little lazy and a lot of the work being done is 'under the hood'.

I don't know about open beta as there are lots of parts still undeveloped (due to her being absent so long). However, maybe some sort of stress test to check for bugs in the network and code with many people connected. At the very least it'll be a glimpse of what's done and what's to come.

However at this point I'm pretty much waiting on the other coder to finish up certain things.

Yes having layers in the maps is great, agreed. And yes the sprites are from Mystery Dungeon.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Lusidea
Lolwut

Amazing. Please tell me your continuing this project?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Wow, Spira I finally watched your video and it is simply amazing, your vision of a Pokemon game is so unique and it's basically the kind of Pokemon game everyone has been waiting for since the 90's, so congratulations on what you've accomplished so far.

but as always I have a few more questions:

-are you planning on incorporating a story to the game?

-And if you planning on incorporating a story, will it be similar to the original games or be completely brand new?

-what are you planning in terms of starter pokemon?

-have you guys considered anything in terms of music for the game?

-will you be planning on incorporating special Pokemon like Zapdo's or eevee to be available to player's in a one time only event per player? (like in Pokemon Red & Blue)

-Will there be User Names for our trainers when we enter the game?

sorry for all the questions, but I just can't help it. Your game looks so amazing and I can't wait to play it.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Spira

Yes I am still continuing it.
1) Yes there will be a story. Although I haven't really started thinking about it much.

2) I don't think it will be standard. The main trainer is not always just a young boy or girl eager to becoming a Pokemon Master. You can pick many different trainer types from old men to old women. Therefore the story wouldn't work like it normally does. However I think there will be similar elements such as defeating the bad guys, etc.

3) Starter Pokemon hasn't been decided yet. I have toyed around with the idea of a random starter such as picking a Fire type you either get a Cyndaquil, Charmander, Torchic, or Chimchar, etc. Also thought about the starting quest choices can affect it as well. So for instance you accomplish X optional task, or you answer the NPC's in specific ways, you get a higher chance of getting a certain Pokemon. That sorta thing, but I am not sure the best way just yet.

4) As far as music it will be a combo of various Pokemon games, anime, and custom probably.

5) Yeah there will be some special Pokemon not available normally and must be got through events, rare quests, or special means.

6) Yup you will have an account and username.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Bonzai-Cat
The Best Around

Thats awesome, I love the Idea of being given a starter based on a personality quiz, I say go for it. Oh and If you want I could post an ad in the Newgrounds audio portal asking for some Pokemon game themed music and If your looking for any help on the story, I would love to help.
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
davidthefat
I Love C++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira View Post
Videos:
Ingame with Pokemon!

Charmander Scratching and Charging.

Charmander Fire Wheel

Release 4 Pokemon. Pidgey Flies!

Solarbeam Concept!

Jump Arcanine!

Rattatta shoots bubbles! Lol

Example of beta Map Editor

Why Python? Why not C/C++? Theres better APIs for C++ thats better geared for gaming like OpenGL and DirectX
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Spira

Because we wanted to learn Python so that's what we went with. There is no benefit in switching languages this late in the game, Python provides everything we need. Not to mention, starting from scratch would be pointless and a waste of all of our time thus far.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

I find it very interesting that you didnt do a grid system for the maps, like in the regular pokemon games, I find that easier to organise
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Spira

It does support grid aligning in the editor, it just doesn't require it for everything.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

I congratulate you for your progress, and IMHO Its probably the best fan game thats being made right now, Not flattering you or anything, the good ones are good, but lack originality and this is original. Im going to start on a similar project, but Im going to do it differently, but I think the mouse input Idea was a good idea.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Spira

Thanks for your support. Good luck on your project, let me know how it progresses. I agree on the mouse. I could of gone the traditional Pokemon controls, but it makes more sense to put something to use that virtually all computers have. Even the DS has a stylus. It will definitely make things better to have a precision pointer. Makes it faster to open menus, control multiple windows, so more information on the screen, and do various other tasks Pokemon in general couldn't.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
kashin28
Beginning Trainer

OMG! how can u possibly make this game
im shocked when i see this game .. i hav always thought of this idea but i never knew theres actually people working on it ! wow..cant wait to play this game
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashin28 View Post
OMG! how can u possibly make this game
im shocked when i see this game .. i hav always thought of this idea but i never knew theres actually people working on it ! wow..cant wait to play this game
Seriously, you too can make a game like this, theres a steep learning curve I guess, you first have to learn a programming language, I recommend C++ since the APIs are highly documented and tutorialized. So pick up a book and start reading, its highly mathematical, so I suggest you are done with Basic Algebra and Geometry at least... then you have to learn the API, but with practice, you won't need tutorials, you just learn from the documents and examples that usually come with the APIs. and if you learn C++ it will help you ALOT in other languages too. The ideas are pretty much the same, just think of it as different dialects and accents....
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
TrainerRedd

Are you guys still looking for mappers? If so I think I can offer my services as I feel this project is the most interesting I have ever seen!
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Lén
Eternity Staff

At this time the map editor is not finished (i think 80% when i tested the last version 2 days ago).

Kami is still working on it.

But i'm not sure that you will be able to map, not because we are not looking for mappers, but because our program is more looking like photoshop than paint, if paint is compared to RPG MAKER.

I'm sure that Spira will ask you for help here if we need.

Merry Christmas !

(sry for my english, i'm french :D)

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
PokemonCraft
Beginning Trainer

this game really could cause nintendo to loose money

arent you afraid of being sued

i am also myself developing a pokemon game but mine is browser based so dont have any cool graphics

but your game is awesome

and i am hell sure you are making this game for earning hell amount of money

but how are you not afraid of being sued by nintendo ?
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonCraft View Post
this game really could cause nintendo to loose money

arent you afraid of being sued

i am also myself developing a pokemon game but mine is browser based so dont have any cool graphics

but your game is awesome

He cant get sued unless hes charging money, other than that, they wont give a crap. Looks at sony, homebrew really hit the PSP HARD ISOs and games are being made, they cant sue a community of people. thats why PS3 is hard as **** to hack now
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Lén
Eternity Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonCraft View Post
1) No, kami has started this project to have practice and fun when she wasn't doing her homework. This game will EVER be free, and moreover it's forbidden to earn money on something that isn't our property.

2) They can try to sued us, but first, the " Prime Server " for the french version will be based in Switzerland (so we don't fear anything ), I don't know for the English server. Then, We don't earn money from it. they can force us to don't use their properties .. and then ? nothing, just change the logo and the name and do crappy other sprites, but giving a zip files (patch) separated from the CLIENT ... to restore the real sprites ....

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links