The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:48 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

Advertise here
Yep - updated. But since I have to link to your post for the more in-depth info *shakes fist at character limits*, you may also have to change it there as well.

Also, Alice. already found a Beta Reader, so no point offering to beta that story then. =P

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Oh yes, of course, I'll do that now.

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
In need of a beta for an upcoming story here. D:

Title of Story: Heart of the Sea
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: Damus is a Pokemon fisherman unable to grab a catch for sometime. When he gets the biggest catch of his life though, he didn’t know his pride would overtake him.
Genre: Drama/Parable
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG.
Type of mentor needed: Grammar and proofreader. I suck at grammar and always need someone else to look through it for me (though I do proofread my work a couple times). As for proofreader, I think I’m fine in other areas, but a second opinion won’t hurt.
Writing sample of story: Still a work in progress. :x
Spoiler:
Luckily I’m not in the eye of the storm, Markus thought with a chuckle while seeing the chaos outside. Being soak and wet was not his idea of “fun.”

“Right now it’s forty five degrees with the wind at fifty five miles per hour and rain pouring down two inches above ground. Also, the clouds are moving pretty fast so the rain should be stop in a couple of hours.”

Betty saw that her husband was looking through the window, his face showing grief and concern. Not even the warm bath smell of her soup changed Markus’ emotion one bit. That was the least of her worries, though.

“Markus, why are you still looking through the window? Also, if you’re not watching the television anymore, why don’t you turn it off? You’re wasting electricity!”

“I can hear the television, can’t I?” Markus answered with a chuckle.

“Markus!” Betty yelled slowly, but in a harsh tone. She gave him with a stern look.

“Just joking, Betty. Anyways, I’m worried about Aries, his Shelgon, and Damus.”

Betty sighed and shook her head before continuing cooking dinner. Aries was Betty and Markus’s son and Damus was a Pokémon fisherman who is friends with both Markus and Aries. During the summer Aries would always go help with Damus on catching some fish. Usually Betty doesn’t approve of Aries going fishing with Damus because most of the time Damus can’t catch some seafood. She believed Aries could catch more Pokemon fishes alone then being with Damus. Sometimes Betty even believed that Damus was the most unlucky person ever.

“I don’t know why Aries would want to be with Damus. That man uses his Pokemon to faint the fish Pokémon he catches.”

Other: This is actually my very first Pokemon fic and I posted all of it at Serebii. However, I’m rewriting it now to post it at PC and a couple other forums. My grammar improved greatly from three years ago, but I still tend to make silly mistakes, so it would be great if I have a beta for the rewrite.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Updated into the 1st post, Bay. =)

Old November 20th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Hey Bobandbill, I'm not writing my fic anymore and am not seeking that kind of beta reader anymore. Anyway here is my new beta seeking thingie

Title of Story: Shayla's Twilight

Fandom: Twilight saga

Plot summary: The rebellious vampire little sister of Edward, Alice, Jasper and the others returns unannounced one day after a year-long absent and the family wonders where she's been and what's she been doing. However she has changed alot and no longer the same sister. Can they help her? Follows the events of the books, just has my OC put into it, to "shake things up". It's also told from many charecter's POVs.

Genre: Fantasy/ Romance/ Teen or whatever Twilight is.

Rating (PG, R, etc): Probably T but leaning towards M in later chapters. Not really sure, there is violence mostly in the hunting and fight scenes and some swearing but it's mostly 'minor' words.

Type of mentor needed: Proofreader. I'm alot better with my writing now and just need another set of eyes to look over it.

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
I sit on the bed beside her, cross-legged. “Well, you know that when I first… changed, I had only tasted animal-blood.” I study her, predicting what her reaction will be. But she remains normal and just nods. “Yeah well, I was kind of selfish and for the past few weeks I had been having this ache inside of me. I couldn’t figure it out. I tried feeding more but it didn’t help.” I tried to get my words right, to try and make her understand.

“But it didn’t help like I said. But I spoke to Jasper. He said I was craving human blood.”

“Jasper said that?” Alice said, frowning. I knew she would slap him later.

“Do not blame him for what I did. It was just a theory that he thought up but little did he know that WAS the reason.”

“I knew I couldn’t control it for much longer so I headed up to Alaska for a few days. I stuck to the forests, staying away from human settlements. But once I lost control the first time, it was too hard to resist.” My voice is bitter as I speak.

Other: I decided to write this one after my failed original fic Blood of the Animals and my even bigger fail, my HP fic (it was so bad it didn't even get posted here.) I've gotten a lot better and I want to get even more so.

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Whee updated sorry for some of the delay was away on holiday/forgot. t_t But done all the same.

Old November 27th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Well hello again, Beta Thread! I missed you so much, yes I did, yes I did~

Title of Story: Delta Species
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: When one young victim of 'Because Destiny Said So' is pulled away from his Pokémonless region and forced into the shoes of savior of the Pokémon kingdom (along with a very varied cast of traveling companions), he discovers that maybe the rest of the world - or at least the region of Holon - isn't all to be feared after all...
Genre: Trainer Journey
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG, if only for one character who flings asterisks around like shuriken stars.
Type of mentor needed: I would like a Plot beta reader to make sure that my story's plotline (which, admittedly, has a lot of it laid out due to the nature of the plot) doesn't start getting too bland.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

A young boy sat slumped in his seat, watching the rain continue its attempt to be as loud as it could while crashing against the window. Limp brown hair flopped against the glass, letting gravity take over entirely. His face was set in a thoughtful frown, and though dull blue eyes watched water pound upon glass he never really paid it any mind. He had average height and build, though it was difficult to tell from his current scrunched-up position. Overall, the sort of boy you expect to be cautious and unwilling to try new things. Of course, he was actually something like that, but his thoughts were upon clearly more important things.

Like Pokéballs, for instance.

‘Come on, Casey,’ the boy silently scolded himself, ‘quit thinking about that! It’s over! It’s going to get found and I never even touched that thing and nobody can possibly link its appearance to me!’

Casey, you see, was a kid with a dilemma. That morning, while waiting for this very bus to arrive to drive him to school, he had found an extremely disturbing object sitting underneath some nearby shrubbery. It was an object about the size of a softball, colored red and white with a black stripe running around the center. Commonly known as a ‘Pokéball’ or ‘Poké Ball’, it was a manmade object designed for the capture and control of animals known as Pokémon.

Both Pokémon and the objects that tame them were fully and entirely illegal in the fine land of Calda.

Other: The first story I posted that I care to remember was posted on the 'net on September 8, 2008 (it was Metal Coat).
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Updated ye into it, whoose. Hopefully you don't have to wait long... =/

Old December 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
SkyBlue
I'm in love...with Ash!

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBlue
Category: The Comprehensive type. Yeah, I do 'em all.
Genre specialty: Humor, romance, anything. Except horror.
Preferred method of contact: E-mail. I have two: [email protected] and [email protected]
Examples of writing:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202257
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=201481
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: I...uh...I haven't gotten any reviews or reports yet. Even on FF.net.
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):
Spoiler:
My strength is being able to point out spelling mistakes. I have this thing for hating myself when I misspell something by accident. I try not to sugarcoat what's wrong in a fic, and I believe I know a Mary-Sue when I see one. I also like to give constructive advice.

My weakness? I'm scared to heck of ghosts. Why do you think I added "except horror" up there? I'll only do the ghost thing if it's also humorous. And I tend to be a bit...weird.

"Our hearts are made of fragile glass. One crack and we have no more heart. We must take care of it."
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

^ Hmm, it sounds like your saying you haven't gotten any reviews? Idk if that's the case, but what is meant is that we need reviews by you submitted to other people's stories - examples of you doing the mistake-finding, correcting, analysis/thoughts on a story, etc.

And if you mean you haven't made any that are currently available... then it's kinda hard to judge without any reviews or reports to go on, and it is a requirement for all beta readers to show they can give correct constructive criticism... but that can be easily fixed! =P There's no need to rush, but please submit a few reviews to people's stories around here (or ffnet, etc), and make sure they include all areas (plot, spelling, etc) if you are going for a Comprehensive Beta Reader position. (Or if you'd rather focus on a specific aspect in your reviews and go for a different beta reader you can as well, or if you're lacking in a few areas but show you can review on other parts - say, grammar - thoroughly then you'll become a different Beta Reader). Basically, I'm afraid we can't judge without some reviews by you to see, that's all.

ON ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE - I'll be redoing the Beta Thread soon due to it getting cluttered (only one post to work with = annoying) and a bit old. So if you are a client still waiting or a beta reader, please contact me if you still want a beta reader/to be a beta reader with the new version. I'll do PMs later and once I get some feedback from a good numbr of you I'll redo this thread (same system, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on to me and/or Astinus).

Old December 12th, 2009, 03:34 AM
SkyBlue
I'm in love...with Ash!

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBlue
Okay. Guess I'd rather be a client.

Title of Story: Operation Confession
Fandom: Pokemon manga: Pokemon Special/Adventures
Plot summary: Red and Yellow have always been a little...into each other. They just don't like to say what they really feel. Well, with the help of the other Pokedex holders, Green's going to change that...Maybe it's time they did take a vacation in Sinnoh.
Genre: Humor and romance.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG. Expect gratuitous amounts of Green's trademark evil schemes. And funny ghosts.
Type of mentor needed: Plot and character beta reader. I plan to have an OC.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Green could not believe that it had been a few years since Red saved Yellow from a rampaging Dratini. She also could not believe that time had passed since Yellow rescued Red from the Elite Four.

And she could not believe that they still hid their feelings after all this time!

Green now paced the floor of her house as Platinum, her boyfriend Diamond, and their hyper friend Pearl (visiting from Sinnoh) read books (in Dia's case, munched on a book-shaped cookie).

Ruby and Sapphire, a new item, were arguing over who had the best Pokemon.

Gold, Crystal and Silver were reflecting on the past (and laughing at Crystal's "AAAHHH! PUNKS!").

Blue was trying and failing at making Poffins. Everyone could hear the "Stupid Poffins!" and "AAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!" coming from the kitchen.

Emerald was thinking up pranks.

Green, however, didn't notice. She was too absorbed in what she was thinking up. Then...

"I can't stand their being insecure anymore!" she cried out. "I think I'll bring them together..."

All the color drained from Gold's, Crystal's and Silver's faces. They knew exactly what Green was talking about.

So did Blue. "Green..." he warningly yelled out. "NOT AGAIN!"

Platinum raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so worried?" she asked.

Green had on that weird, Cheshire cat face on again. Somehow it never failed to slip onto her face when she was scheming.

"It's the Cheshire Grin. When Green has it on...you'd rather not know," Crystal hastily explained.

"Think about it. Have you seen Yellow so nervous when not around Red?" Green suddenly asked.

Platinum shook her head. Dia raised an eyebrow and shrugged. Pearl rolled his eyes towards the ceiling. Gold shuddered at the thought of Green being right yet again. Crystal swore words under her breath. Emerald kicked the couch so strongly that it flipped. Silver learned a few words from Crystal. Ruby and Sapphire's mouths hit the floor.

And Green? "AUUUGGGHH! IT BURNED! NOW I HAVE TO START OVER!!" He was concentrating on those Poffins.

"And how about Red? Have you seen him NOT blush when around Yellow?"

Same reactions. Different people (except for Blue, who was still cooking Poffins and was now complaining about how they spilled easily).

"Ha! I knew it. They like each other! You've seen it, you've felt it, you've known it since you first met them! So you're all gonna help me!" Green proclaimed, grinning maniacally.

It was at this point that everyone, except for Dia (who ate faster) and Platinum (whose eyes went wide), screamed. Yep, even Blue in the kitchen with the Poffins.

Other: I've been writing since I was eight. I made scripts ripped off of episodes of my favorite series, calling them sequels. I was eight, hello! Then, I stumbled upon FanFiction.net, and the rest is history.

My strength is being able to describe things when I feel like it. Often, though, I have to see it in my mind's eye first.

My weakness is...well...sometimes I accidentally bring characters out of their personalities. OOC, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I overdo one trait of a character. I'm not very good when it comes to making OC's...

"Our hearts are made of fragile glass. One crack and we have no more heart. We must take care of it."
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:08 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

..ok then. Added to the first post and all.

In case people only read the last two posts:

ON ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE - I'll be redoing the Beta Thread soon due to it getting cluttered (only one post to work with = annoying) and a bit old. So if you are a client still waiting or a beta reader, please contact me if you still want a beta reader/to be a beta reader with the new version. I'll do PMs later and once I get some feedback from a good numbr of you I'll redo this thread (same system, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on to me and/or Astinus).

Yay repetition. =D

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Do we post in this thread? Anyway, I'd like to submit the application for Delta Species in the new thread.
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Posting here is fine, or just PM/VM me. Anyways cheers for letting me know.

If you want to make a new application then do so in this thread for now, giving people a week's notice first about the new one before it is made.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here