• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon: Red Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
61328785.png

Pokémon: RED SAND​

Hi guys, new to the forum. I've started making a game based on Pokémon Red/Blue, in Multimedia Fusion 2, which it does not seem that many of you use. I printscreened all the graphics from visualboy, and coded it to be as similar to the original as possible. It's been a pain in the ass making everything from scratch, but at least the overworld works OK now. I'm consiering making this a pokemon style adventure game because I think coding a battle system in MF2 is way beyond my capabilities at the moment. Maybe I will make a very simple battle system.

I'm throwing it up here just to show you it. It's not much to show compared to what's on here, but to me, it's been so hard getting movement, collisions, the dialog window, doors, jumping off the ledge, signs, text, and all that to work, stuff that you don't have to worry about when using a ready made engine.

Features: (may seem basic)
- Grid based movement
- Main character from G/S/C (looks way cooler than the fat Mario-looking guy from R/B)
- Usable doors, staircases
- Using objects
- Text window that opens, scrolls two lines at a time, then closes, complete with flashing arrow if there is more.
- Talking to NPCs
- Jumping ledges
- Custom hometown, AZURE TOWN
- Very true to the original game, but with new setting.
- Enhancements: Walk behind houses, door animations, walk inside the bed like on advance games.

Screenshots:

19100637.png
91912008.png

33841349.png
58993736.png

77793634.png
99438494.png

DOWNLOAD:
So, go on, take it for a spin:
[URL="http://www.2shared.com/file/10517591/cd244b65/Pokemon_Red_Sand.html"]http://www.2shared.com/file/10756952/f176cc19/Pokemon_Red_Sand.html[/URL]​

Last edited:

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
Years
Only if you edit the first post less than 5 minutes from when you started the thread.

Or, you'll have to contact a moderator. Avatar and Neo-Dragon are the 2 mods here, so contact either one of them.

Ah, a game in MF2. I tried making an SSB game with this, but it didn't seem to work out well. And BTW, most people don't use MF2 because it it very expensive. (about $200 or $300, isn't it?)

But, I'm just asking, why use R/B graphics instead of FR/LG graphics?

Questions aside, I'd say this can be a very good game. MF2 opens you up to a lot of possibilities, and I hope that this can turn into a great, fun, project. Keep it up!

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
Only if you edit the first post less than 5 minutes from when you started the thread.

Or, you'll have to contact a moderator. Avatar and Neo-Dragon are the 2 mods here, so contact either one of them.

Ah, a game in MF2. I tried making an SSB game with this, but it didn't seem to work out well. And BTW, most people don't use MF2 because it it very expensive. (about $200 or $300, isn't it?)

But, I'm just asking, why use R/B graphics instead of FR/LG graphics?

Questions aside, I'd say this can be a very good game. MF2 opens you up to a lot of possibilities, and I hope that this can turn into a great, fun, project. Keep it up!

It's 299 for dev edition. I'm not gonna talk about how I got it, but I didn't pay that.

I'm using the old graphics because those are the only games I played a lot of, and they are what is pokemon to me. I also use them because it saves me a ton of work keeping the graphics simple and small, whether it's when I'm spriting, coding, whatever. There are fewer frames in the animations, smaller tiles, only 4 colors to worry about, etc. You could say I'm just being lazy, but I want to focus on getting the coding right, and focus on the story. I realize it will make my game a bit less attractive to people.

Thanks for your encouraging words! Having my own code is definetely an advantage going forward, and I will be able to implement things that no one ever thought of being in a pokemon game or in RPG maker.

I'm hoping that one day I can upgrade this to advance screen size and newer graphics, and turn it into a starter kit for MF2 of sorts.

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
The Bug Report

Here are some bugs or suggestions I have of the engine:

-You can move upwards from your bed (it looks weird since most people don't climb over their bed posts) (I also found many other glitchy square in the town
-In Ralph's room, instead of walking behind the bookshelves, tvs, and computers, you walk over them
-Just left of Ralph's Home sign, you can't move down into that square nor up into the square
-There's a random "2" in the middle of Azure

I'm guessing the demo ends after your mom says "Wait!" right? Just want to make sure ;) Anyways, looks really good so far man!

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I dont think Sony and nintendo mix at all... but IDK, the font just kills the old school look

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
Here are some bugs or suggestions I have of the engine:

-You can move upwards from your bed (it looks weird since most people don't climb over their bed posts) (I also found many other glitchy square in the town
-In Ralph's room, instead of walking behind the bookshelves, tvs, and computers, you walk over them
-Just left of Ralph's Home sign, you can't move down into that square nor up into the square
-There's a random "2" in the middle of Azure

I'm guessing the demo ends after your mom says "Wait!" right? Just want to make sure ;) Anyways, looks really good so far man!

I think you can move upwards from the bed in the advance games, that's why I made it like that. I'll have to check that out.

Good find with the bookshelves, I forgot to put colliders on the upper tiles!

That tile you can't walk on: When you leave ralph's house in the demo, you are 3 pixels off horizontally, this screws up the collisions. This has been rectified since that build. :)

The 2 is actually the teleport for the cheats I have on the number buttons, I just forgot to make it invisible.

And yeah, the big blue square and the mom thing is a story event that I only just started.

I dont think Sony and nintendo mix at all... but IDK, the font just kills the old school look

Well, I'm a sony guy and I just thought it was a nice way to put my own touch on your room.

And I hear ya about the font. It's going to change as soon as I find the GB font. Possible I will change it to the advance font instead as it's a better placeholder.

Thnaks for trying it out guys! :)

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
Does anyone know where I can find the font from R/B/Y? Possibly complete with PK and MN letters? :(

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Well, I'm a sony guy and I just thought it was a nice way to put my own touch on your room.

Thanks for trying it out guys! :)[/QUOTE]

I'm a sony guy aswell, I plan on using the Unreal Engine2.5 to make an awesome game on the ps3, But im still in the prototyping phase. So I officially dont have a publisher. But with that said I love the old fasion look of RED & BLUE and all but I also like the color upgrade FIRE RED & LEAF GREEN. But i'll keeping an eye on this cause I know the pain it must have been to have gotten this far. Keep up the good work.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I wish sony had a better program for indie devs like microsoft does...

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
Thanks for the comment. :)

Here are some new screenshots. I'm now using the font from R/S until I can replace it.

Also showing how far I've come on the battle system. It doesn't work yet, except the gauges actually work, they're just not set to display the HP yet so they both have a value of 0. And the Rattata has a bunch of values in it like HP, level, speed, attack, defence. Now I just need to make turns, and find a way to make it simple to make battles with different pokemon, and not copypaste all the events for every random battle. But I think I can figure it out.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I wish sony had a better program for indie devs like microsoft does...

I agree the 360 has XNA and ps3 has the SDK(Sony Development Kit) also called other stuff.. The point is SONY is making me wait to find a publisher before I can actually start working on the ps3... And as for the batgtle system its a start, and I like the fact your taking pokemon back to its roots, awesome... You seem to progressing well keep @ it.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
You could fund it yourself. It's not to dear compared to a reward you might get out of it.
Something sony doesn't tell ya, which we learned in college the hard way (we made a small project then ran into this)- you have to pay for the game to be rated - as in age rating certified. We were told to pay 3000 euros. Too much for students.

Thread renamed btw :)

nimmy23

Hi im nimmy23... Hi im nimmy23
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2012
I like the game. There are many games which have the R/B/Y graphics/tiles. Also some other ones have G/S/C i dont thinks theres a real difference just one has colour and the other doesn't. So who cares it doesn't matter about the tiles. It matters about the heart of the game.

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
Gah, I totally don't have motivation to work on the game right now. I feel like in order to build the world and story I need to have a solid, easy way to make story events without redoing them from scratch every time, and a solid battle system, even if every pokemon just has one level, one attack and HP. And what I really want to do is import tiles, draw graphics and write dialogue, build cities and write the story. Not scratching my head because things don't work. But I guess if I have everything I need in place it will be that much sweeter. :( Just gotta push on through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back