The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Skyline_333
Chime-inator. He'll be back.

Location: Trapped in a strange pocket of time, known as 1986.
Nature: Bold
Right here goes...

So I'm Shaun and I'm relatively new to ROM hacking, I've planned a few pokemon games before, but they were way to complicated to be hacks, but I found this forum and decided I would post some stuff about my latest Idea here. I've been doing some basic mapping and a tried a bit of text editing using advance map, but thats it. I can't script or sprite or any of that kinda stuff. It also doesn't help that everything has to be transferred between my big PC (With no internet.) and laptop (Which runs Linux Lite.) But anyway here it is.

POKEMON ELECTRIC ORANGE (Project PEO)

Original ROM
Fire Red

Region
The Falcon Islands

Legendary Pokemon
Jirachi (Obtainable)
Deoxys (Obtainable)
Rayquaza (Unobtainable)
And maybe a few others if I can fit them in.

Storyline
You're a 10yr old in the Falcon Islands and you're going to receive your first pokemon. You live in the village of Hawk, the most southerly place in the group of islands. You go to the house of the town's local pokemon professor, Colin Cedar, who gives you a Pokemon (Either Cacnea, Corphish or Numel). With that Pokemon you then travel across the Falcon Islands battling trainers and catching other Pokemon to achieve your goal of becoming the Falcon Island Pokemon League Champion. (So it's basically like a normal Pokemon game to that point, except there is no need to fill the Pokedex.)

However, becoming Pokemon League Champion is only the beginning, when you're League Champion you have a lot of responsibilities in the region. Once you become league champion, you go to see Prof. Cedar, like he tells you to earlier in the game. You go in and he is not there. You notice that his computer is on and you go over to it. There is an e-mail from Professor Oak, it reads;
"Cedar,
Its good to know that you have located Rayquaza. I have finished the Pokeball, meet me where we agreed. I have to say this plan is brilliant.
Oak."
Then, you walk out of Prof. Cedar's house, at the same time your mom walks out of your house to check the mail and sees you. She tells you to come in and says that you were just on the news for becoming the champion. She tells you to have a rest, but she wakes you up mid way through and tells you to look at the TV. A meteor has crashed on an island that you previously didn't know about, but it is your duty as league champion to go and investigate.

You arrive at the island to be greated by Police, who tell you the meteor is on the side of some plains. The plains are full of wild Chimecho, Beldum, Lunatone and Solrock which are all attracted towards the meteor.

You walk up to the meteor and press "A" and you end up in a battle with Deoxys. You cannot attack it, every attack misses. You have to catch it. When you catch it, a policeman walks up to you and asks you what it was, then he tells you to go to the Police Station to speak with the chief.

At the police station the chief tells you that there are two "Nuts" on top of the Pokehotel (A hotel you could not enter until this point in the game.) You have to get to the top of the Pokehotel and help the police apprehend these "Nuts". The hotel is 10 floors (and the roof) and is full of strong trainers. There is a healing centre half way up and on floor 10.

When you reach the roof Prof. Oak and Prof. Cedar are stood at the far end, and there are several police officers at the end by the stairs. One policeman explains that they cannot defeat the two professors because their pokemon are too powerful. You step forward and Prof. Cedar sees you. Then there is a bit of dialogue that would go something like this
Colin: [PLAYER], what are you doing here? Are you as surprised to see me as I am to see you? It's not often that you would think that your next door neighbour and beloved Pokemon Professor would want to take over the world. And I don't think I ever thought that the 10 year old from my village would become the league champion with a pokemon I gave them. But not even you, [PLAYER], League Champion can stop us.
Then a battle starts. Professor Cedar uses 5 Pokemon which you must defeat before sending out Rayquaza. Rayquaza can only be defeated by Deoxys. Once Cedar is defeated, the police arrest the two professors and you warp back to the police chief's office.

New/Improved Features
- The professor tells you his real name.
- Non-generic starters. (Cacnea, Numel and Corphish)
- The first gym is not rock type.
- There is not a huge lab in a tiny town.
- There is no global orginzation that you take down as an average kid.
- Victory Road is an actual road full of trainers.
- When you become League Champion you stay League Champion (This is important for the rest of the game.)
- Your rival doesn't live in the same town as you. (Might not even put a rival in, I find them annoying personally.)
- There is no Old Rod.
- Good Rod and Super Rod are renamed Fishing Rod and Deep Sea Rod.
- The Safari Zone is replaced by "The Fields" (A ranch with rare pokémon in it.)
- Cars and Trucks Something that nintendo missed of their games. (You cannot drive them, they're just scenery.)
- Police. Yes, nintendo put police officers in some games, but they we're all really pathetic looking. I want police officers in proper uniforms.
- Police Station and cars, Where else would all the policemen come from? You can also do a few missions for the police by visiting the station.
- Construction sites and housing estates. Something very common, but not featured in any official Pokémon games.
- You don't need to use FLASH in every cave. It is the last HM and is need to get into the pokemon league.
- The towns and cities do not end Town or City.
- Entire words (Except Pokemon names) are not capitalized.

Hiring
Scripters
Spriters (For tile sets, OW sprites and trainer sprites.)
Beta Testers (That includes proofreading.)
And someone to check over and tidy up my maps.

Screenshots
They're in the attachments at the minute, but when I get them onto their own URL I will put them in here.
Attached Images
File Type: png PKMN Colin Cedar.png‎ (4.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png PKMN Cacnea.png‎ (7.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png PKMN Corphish.png‎ (7.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png PKMN Numel.png‎ (6.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png PKMN Hawk.png‎ (17.9 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Skyline_333; December 30th, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Tidying up 1st post.
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Razer Rage
Beginning Hacker

Looks nice so far. Although in my opinion it would be more appropriate if it was "Lightening Lemon", as Oranges never really struck me as electric.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Bentendowhis
Let's Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Bentendowhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer Rage View Post
Looks nice so far. Although in my opinion it would be more appropriate if it was "Lightening Lemon", as Oranges never really struck me as electric.
I don't think he meant orange as a fruit, but as a color. But why "Electric?" None of the starters are of that type, and nothing seems to relate to that. Also, this hack seems very generic, with next to no new features. Can you give new ideas that will make this a good hack?
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Skyline_333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentendowhis View Post
I don't think he meant orange as a fruit, but as a color. But why "Electric?" None of the starters are of that type, and nothing seems to relate to that. Also, this hack seems very generic, with next to no new features. Can you give new ideas that will make this a good hack?
Yeah, I meant orange as a color. And "Electric Orange" is a color that Ford offer on their Focus ST. Yeah, nothing relates to the "electric" in the game, but I thought it was a cool title, it was either that or Sky Blue.

I'll reveal new features later tonight...

So, I want this game to be like other Pokémon games but without all the annoying or nonsensical bits that nintendo put into theirs.
Here is a list of things I plan to alter/remove:
- The professor tells you his real name.
- There is not a huge lab in a tiny town.
- There is no global orginzation that you take down as an average kid.
- Victory Road is an actual road full of trainers.
- When you become League Champion you stay League Champion (This is important for the rest of the game.)
- Your rival doesn't live in the same town as you.
- There is no Old Rod.
- Good Rod and Super Rod are renamed Fishing Rod and Deep Sea Rod.
- The Safari Zone is replaced by "The Fields" (A ranch with rare pokémon in it.)
- Cars and Trucks Something that nintendo missed of their games. (You cannot drive them, they're just scenery.)
- Police. Yes, nintendo put police officers in some games, but they we're all really pathetic looking. I want police officers in proper uniforms.
- Police Station and cars, Where else would all the policemen come from? You can also do a few missions for the police by visiting the station.
- Construction sites and housing estates. Something very common, but not featured in any official Pokémon games.

Tomorrow I'll reveal a little bit more of the story, including how you get Deoxys.

Night guys!

Last edited by Skyline_333; December 29th, 2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Skyline_333

Now for some more storyline, as promised.

Becoming Pokemon League Champion is only the beginning, when you're League Champion you have a lot of responsabilities in the region. Once you become league champion, you go to see Prof. Cedar, like he tells you to earlier in the game. You go in and he is not there. You notice that his computer is on and you go over to it. There is an e-mail from Professor Oak, it reads;
"Cedar,
Its good to know that you have located Rayquaza. I have finished the Pokeball, meet me where we agreed. I have to say this plan is brilliant.
Oak."
Then, you walk out of Prof. Cedar's house, at the same time your mom walks out of your house to check the mail and sees you. She tells you to come in and says that you were just on the news for becoming the champion. She tells you to have a rest, but she wakes you up mid way through and tells you to look at the TV. A meteor has crashed on an island that you previously didn't know about, but it is your duty as league champion to go and investigate.

You arrive at the island to be greated by Police, who tell you the meteor is on the side of some plains. The plains are full of wild Chimecho, Beldum, Lunatone and Solrock which are all attracted towards the meteor.

You walk up to the meteor and press "A" and you end up in a battle with Deoxys. You cannot attack it, every attack misses. You have to catch it. When you catch it, a policeman walks up to you and asks you what it was, then he tells you to go to the Police Station to speak with the chief.

At the police station the chief tells you that there are two "Nuts" on top of the Pokehotel (A hotel you could not enter until this point in the game.) You have to get to the top of the Pokehotel and help the police apprehend these "Nuts". The hotel is 10 floors (and the roof) and is full of strong trainers. There is a healing centre half way up and on floor 10.

When you reach the roof Prof. Oak and Prof. Cedar are stood at the far end, and there are several police officers at the end by the stairs. One policeman explains that they cannot defeat the two professors because their pokemon are too powerful. You step forward and Prof. Cedar sees you. Then there is a bit of dialogue that would go something like this
Colin: [PLAYER], what are you doing here? Are you as surprised to see me as I am to see you? It's not often that you would think that your next door neighbour and beloved Pokemon Professor would want to take over the world. And I don't think I ever thought that the 10 year old from my village would become the league champion with a pokemon I gave them. But not even you, [PLAYER], League Champion can stop us.
Then a battle starts. Professor Cedar uses 5 Pokemon which you must defeat before sending out Rayquaza. Rayquaza can only be defeated by Deoxys. Once Cedar is defeated, the police arrest the two professors and you warp back to the police chief's office.

I think that's enough story for now.

Thoughts and opinions please!

Also I quickly mapped the 2nd town/city. It's called Oakwood and is on the same island as the Hawk. The gym is water type and you get surf here too. You get the Fishing Rod off a fisherman in the house with the red roof.

Thoughts and opinions on that too.

Shaun Out!
Attached Images
File Type: png PKMN Oakwood.png‎ (75.1 KB, 13 views)
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Brushfire
afc bournemouth <3

Nature: Calm
Okay, we're to start? Fix up your first post. ;

Your latest new features and story appear to have everything Nintendo lacked in their games, so it sounds good already. People are bound to comment on that your maps aren't what they expect, and they are "Nintendo"-ish. I personally don't consider it a bad thing, having maps similar to the original games that you're having shouldn't be. The second town appears to be pretty interesting though, as it reminds me of my own. ;

Good luck with this!

SAW Entertainment | Brushfire's Anime List | And with a faint brush of fire...
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Skyline_333

Thanks for the compliment!
I like Nintendo-ish maps too, which is why I make them that way I guess. After all, if you're trying to make a hack look as professional as possible, I think that that is a great way to do it.

I should have most of the towns up on here by January 2nd, all I can say is watch this space...

See ya,
Shaun...
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:17 AM
~Gary~
PSN: xAzureZePhYr.

Nature: Modest
hey i will b the beta tester
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Skyline_333

Yeah, sure, you can beta test, but there needs to be a beta to test first. And for there to be a beta to test there needs to be scripting. And for there to be scripting I need a scripter, which (among other things) I don't have. But, when I do finally get a beta done, you can test.

In other news...
I said I'd get maps up by January 2nd. Unfortunately, with all the snow and school just starting maybe May 2nd would be a better goal. Just joking, I'll hopefully have them done sooner.

And, as I am (Slowly) working on this, maybe this thread should be moved to progressing hacks. If someone could do that plz.

This is Shaun signing out for PEO news.

Driving sideways through a tunnel is dangerous and must not be tried by any member of the public. Please remember I am not a trained professional, I am an escaped lunatic.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links