• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen People who speak down the 3rd Generation

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I think actually and I might be the only person who thinks this, that Gen 2 was the worst. It just seemed so rushed, like they needed something new or they'd loose their fans.

I think gen 3 was the best generation. I only wish you could go to all 3 regions in it though...

Gen 1 I find really boring but I guess thats because its older and so as the first in the franchise you can't really talk it down.

Gen 4 wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either and did they have to add so many legendaries?

I'm gonna get in a lot of arguments over this one...

Everyone is entitle to their opinions even if many would disagree.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
I really cant stand people to speak badly about the 3rd gen, and then turn around and says "ohh johto is the best" or kanto is the best. To me none of them are the worst of them all. Each region had it own unique feel to it.

and for people who "hates" hoenn and loves the classics (johto and kanto), if it wasnt for the 3rd generation there would be no heartgold or soulsilver.

a little off topic here, IMO FR and LG totally owned RBY. The classics can be beaten.

Years
I think actually and I might be the only person who thinks this, that Gen 2 was the worst. It just seemed so rushed, like they needed something new or they'd loose their fans.

Rushed? I believe there was actually more time in between Red and Green and Silver and Gold than there was in between any other generations. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but...

Years
I have a love-hate relationship with the 3rd generation.
Then again, I have those sometimes with all generations.
I think it's 'cause batteries would run out after a while &
if I couldn't finish the game in the time I wanted to, I got mad. c[:
I'm an impatient person, hahaha.

[a little off topic here, IMO FR and LG totally owned RBY.]
Yes, they totally did! I love them so much more.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
Pokemons of Third generation were... strange. There were really beautiful pokemons, such as Gardevoir, Grovyle, Breloom, Swellow, Absol, Seviper... but also really ugly. For example Salamense. This flying frog doesn't look like cool dragon! Or slakoff and its evos... really, they looks good but good for somewhat another. They doesn't look like pokemons! They like more characters from Rescue Rangers or somewhat near.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
Years
Although I bought both Ruby and Sapphire and then received Emerald, I used to really dislike the games after I played through them once. Actually, I don't think I've even bothered to collect all of the badges on my Sapphire version. Recently though, after I traded my awesome Swampert over to Platinum, somehow that's given me an incentive to play through the third gen. games again. Not sure why. But I am now and I've got a new found respect for the games, they are better than I remember.
Finishing on that note, there's no reason to bash the third gen. games, they are pretty awesome.

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
Years
I have never talked down any of the generations but it was a pretty good generation though and introduced a lot of baby Pokemon new and old. It also was the generation that started combining more of the types too and I got Emerald and it was a fun game and it only took me 6 days to complete but about 6 weeks for everything in the game. It was fun but that clown house was the most annoying part of the game though.LOL.XD.:)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I don't see how "original plot" is at all relevant a discussion topic, when Pokemon plots have as much substance and originality as a cardboard box.

If you want storyline, go play Ranger or Mystery Dungeon or something. For goodness sake, Trozei has a "better plot" than most of the mainstream Pokemon games.

Last edited:
Years
They removed the day/night feature and started "ZOMG END OF THE WORLD" plots. I still don't understand.

I wasn't impressed. It's not so much that they're terrible, it's just... meh. They didn't really introduce anything revolutionary. They're just... forgettable. I had no desire to play it again once I finished it.

And I don't really see the point you're making in the first post. It's nostalgia. That doesn't make them good. It just means you got into Pokemon at a certain time.

Decibel

TEH SQUIRTLE!
Years
I didn't like the 3rd gen games as much as the others, probably because it didn't have anything that 'new' about it. FR/LG helped a bit, because you could end up completing your Pokedex, but really the only thing noticeable they added was what the GBA gave them, better graphics and sound, along with new pokemon. Nothing that new on their part.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Although I never played any Pokemon games before the 3rd generation I still think R/S/E are way better then the others. The music is great, the towns beautifull (especially compared to the ugly gbc graphics of the second gen), The storyline great (for pokemon), contest, double battles and natures added a lot and the Pokemon, in my opinion, are the best of any generation. Just have a look at the 4th gen Pokedex with preevolutions and new evolutions taken out, it's about 60!

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
Years
Peeky Chew@ Exactly.

Now for my rant.

-__________-.

Sorry guys, but how can you say "third gen didn't introduce anything revolutionary"? >_> And btw, i'm sick of all these arguments. Here are a few revolutionary things in RSEFRLG that a lot of you seem to forget..

-EVs
-IVs
-Abilities
-Natures..
-A LOT of Items
-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better graphics than Gen I or II - that's expected, but I and II COULD have had a bit better graphics.. at least in my opinion
-Why did Gen I and II use the same evil team? THAT'S ORIGINAL. (sorry guys. I had to. I'm sick of Gen II fanboys/girls saying "LAWL EVERY OTHER GEN SUCKS LMAO!!!")

That's all i've got for now. Please people, stop complaining. Gen III was made like this. You've got to learn to accept that. Everything is life isn't Gen II perfect.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better graphics than Gen I or II - that's expected, but I and II COULD have had a bit better graphics.. at least in my opinion
They actually could have. The graphics in G/S/C were hella blocky and actually could have been slightly better and/or clearer. I mean, Coolboyman managed to hack a Pokemon Gold ROM to have some Fire Red tiles in it!

-Why did Gen I and II use the same evil team? THAT'S ORIGINAL. (sorry guys. I had to. I'm sick of Gen II fanboys/girls saying "LAWL EVERY OTHER GEN SUCKS LMAO!!!")
MY goodness, I never realised that. Hah, silly Gen II fanatics saying their story was "original" when they didn't even introduce a new team. A really lame Deus ex Machina brought the old one back instead. >_>

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
The "distinguished" Pokemon fans love to speak bad about the third generation.
They always call it the worst of the four, but in my opinion the fourth generation takes that title.

Ruby/Sapphire had the most hype for me as their American realease approached. My dad pre-ordered Ruby for me and Sapphire for him and we anxiously awaited their realease and once we played theme loved every minute of them on our original Game Boy Advanced.
Most hype? o_O Definitely not over here. Most hype would have to be G/S and even then, people were just starting to get out of the Pokémon phase when the two games were released, so the title would probably go to RBY anyway.

Anyway, sounds like you like it for nostalgia reasons which is well and fine. But it was definitely a flawed generation. I gave reasons once in another thread so I'll just quote them here:

Reasons RSE was good:
→ Nosepass
→ Double battles
→ Secret bases were kinda cool
→ Running shoes
→ Contests
→ Braille was kinda cool too
→ TV had a point
→ edit: forgot about berries!

Reasons RSE sucked:
→ Water. I hate surfing. So much.
→ Most Pokemon designs were unimaginative, too complex and looked like Digimon
→ Water
→ TOO MANY LEGENDARIES
→ annoying bike system
→ Took out day/night system
→ Plot that made no sense
→ Water
→ no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Emerald
→ Water
→ Too many exclusives and events
→ Water
→ Dive

...I think that's about it.
...also, tack on that the enemies (Team Magma and Aqua) were the least believable enemies in the entire series thus far. Instead of coming across as dangerous, they all just seemed absolutely crazy. Getting rid of all the water, or getting rid of all the land? It's too extreme to take seriously. I can't believe either leader got any followers at all. I couldn't stand this part of the plot.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
The 3rd generation was okay I guess. It just felt that they needed to put so much originality in the land to make up for the lack of it on the water. Seriously, seeing nothing but water for half of the region is punishment enough, but you actually decide to put a tropical route only a few meters away from a desert.

And just because it had new features doesn't mean that it automatically makes it good. The items were negligible excluding TMs, dive was annoying, double battles were okay at best, the safari zone sucked(apart from Emerald), contests sucked even more than the one in D/P/P, and they actually tried to add a plot, which failed utterly. I'd rather have a bunch of gangsters try to mug me with their rattatas and ekans than save the world AGAIN. Seriously, I play Final Fantasy, I know when I have to save the world. Of course, it is just my opinion.

Years
Lightning said:
Reasons RSE sucked:

→ Most Pokemon designs were unimaginative, too complex and looked like Digimon
What is a Pokemon suppose to look like then? Tell me what exactly makes a Pokemon a Pokemon and a Digimon a Digimon. Saying the newer designs are "unimaginative" makes absolutely no sense either. Many of the Pokemon in previous gens were nothing more than rats, pigeons, crabs, owls, etc. thrown into a fictional world. I believe that the earlier gens lacked creativity just because of that.

→ Took out day/night system
Thank God they removed it. If you liked it, great, but it sucked for nighttime players like me who could only catch Hoothoot. >.>

→ no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Emerald
*Points to Blue, Yellow, and Crystal*

Bold.

I personally love the 3rd gen to pieces. It was flawed like all regions. I don't understand how Gen 2 is considered the "peak" of the series by the majority of the fandom. The game gets better for the most part every gen.

Last edited:

Takoto

Illustrator
Years
Forth Generation was by far the worst. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it was just so dull (well, D/P/P is, HGSS may be good). I prefer Gen two and Gen one, but Gen three was still a world better than Gen four.

Back