• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: I'm Fixin' It: The Pomeg Glitch

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Brief Intro

The Pomeg Glitch is a glitch exclusive to Emerald. Since the Pomeg Berry usually lowers HP by 2, if used on a 1-HP Pokémon (Shedinja aside), the HP stat of the Pokémon could become -1, which the game interprets as 65535 (but displayed as "?35" because the game wasn't intended to display such high values).

Description

Here's a part of the routine coming from Emerald US v1.0:

Code:
[div="font-family:consolas, courier new,monospace"]08068fd2  2900 cmp r1, #0x0
08068fd4  d104 bne $08068fe0[/div]

Those two lines basically check the Pokémon's HP and in case it's fainted, the HP won't decrease at all. Which makes sense, but that's where the glitch come from. Checking if the HP value is 0x0 is not enough, indeed. We need to make sure it is at least greater than 0x2 before decreasing HP, which will be also useful to prevent the Pokémon to get knocked out after using a Pomeg Berry on it:

Code:
[div="font-family:consolas, courier new,monospace"]08068fd2  2902 cmp r1, #0x2
08068fd4  dc04 bgt $08068fe0[/div]

So, all you have to do is to replace 00 29 04 D1 with 02 29 04 DC.

The Offsets

• Emerald US v1.0

Code:
    [div="font-family:consolas,courier new,monospace"]0x68FD2[/div]

This research document is Copyright © 2010 by HackMew.
You are not allowed to copy, modify or distribute it without permission.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
There's a problem with the fix - it means that the Pomeg Berry will be unusable on Shedinja. This is especially problematic, as HP EVs are useless on it and therefore people will want to remove them.

Is it not possible to, after the HP reducing routine completes, check whether the HP is larger than the Pokémon's max HP, and if so, reduce it to 0? It would be more complex than your current method, but more effective.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
There's a problem with the fix - it means that the Pomeg Berry will be unusable on Shedinja. This is especially problematic, as HP EVs are useless on it and therefore people will want to remove them.

The Pomeg Berry is useless on Shedinja anyway, fix or not. Shedinja's HP EVs cannot increase.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Wow, I never knew that. Still, it's a bit inconvenient to have to heal your Pokémon before using a Pomeg berry on it...

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Wow, I never knew that. Still, it's a bit inconvenient to have to heal your Pokémon before using a Pomeg berry on it...

What are you talking about? o_O

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You can't use a Pomeg Berry on a Pokémon with less than 3HP, so if your Pokémon is somehow weakened in battle, you'll have to heal it first.
Does the game check for your Pokémon fainting upon using a Pomeg Berry (i.e. sending you to a Pokémon Center if its HP is reduced to 0)? I seem to recall that it doesn't; in that case, using a Pomeg Berry on a high-leveled Pokémon with 3HP remaining may reduce the HP to 0, allowing you to battle without any non-fainted Pokémon in your party. If it does, ignore that part :P

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
You can't use a Pomeg Berry on a Pokémon with less than 3HP, so if your Pokémon is somehow weakened in battle, you'll have to heal it first.
Does the game check for your Pokémon fainting upon using a Pomeg Berry (i.e. sending you to a Pokémon Center if its HP is reduced to 0)? I seem to recall that it doesn't; in that case, using a Pomeg Berry on a high-leveled Pokémon with 3HP remaining may reduce the HP to 0, allowing you to battle without any non-fainted Pokémon in your party. If it does, ignore that part :P

No, no, no. You can use the Pomeg Berry on a Pokémon with less than 3 HP. However, it won't cause any HP decreasing.

NatureKeeper

That's pretty good. Nice how Nintendo fails and ASM fixes that.
Pretty good. Too bad I am not hacking Emerald...

Last edited by a moderator:

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
Years
Bumping for usefulness, but I should also clarify for the third time in this thread that you can't use the glitch on shedinja, it has no hp evs.

anyway nobody in this thread is listing the actual side effect of this fix: it prevents poison's tick damage at 2hp and lower

That's it. besides that, this fix is fully functional and there are no issues with it that the player is likely to encounter.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 10, 2024
Bumping to make sure everyone knows not to use this, because it breaks things.

The Pomeg Berry is useless on Shedinja anyway, fix or not. Shedinja's HP EVs cannot increase.

Bumping for usefulness, but I should also clarify for the third time in this thread that you can't use the glitch on shedinja, it has no hp evs.

Shedinja cannot gain HP EVs, but it can have HP EVs because it copies Nincada's EVs on evolution, including HP.

Back