• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
This was posted ages ago (Thanks for the code, found some tweaking spots!), but has it yet been found for HG/SS? I would really like to see that code for that game.
That's not really a ROM hacking question. I know I don't know the answer. You'd probably be better off asking it on a cheat code board.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I would just like to thank everyone who's continuing the research into Pokemon Hacking on the DS platform that we at Pokespam started.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Guys I really need help...
My lil' sister is a REAL Dawn fan...
But she's disapointed that there's no Dawn in Hg/Ss..
So I wanna give her a birthday surprise-gift:
Change ALL of Lyra's sprites into Dawn...
and I dunno a thing about these...
Can someone help me...?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Guys I really need help...
My lil' sister is a REAL Dawn fan...
But she's disapointed that there's no Dawn in Hg/Ss..
So I wanna give her a birthday surprise-gift:
Change ALL of Lyra's sprites into Dawn...
and I dunno a thing about these...
Can someone help me...?
We would have to find where Lyra's sprites are and replace them with Dawn sprites, but I'm sure we are there yet even in D/P/Pl hacking.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2011
How about PokeTex? I mean can PokeTex help for hacking the sprites?

Indeed it can. I've edited the hero sprites and replaced them with the sprites of them in their Rocket suits from later in the game.

Spoiler:

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2011
There are three things I want to do--how possible are they?

I. Replacing the Johto Trainer Battle music with the Kanto Trainer Battle music--what can I say, I just love that remix! Figured it out. Used Nitro Explorer 2B and Crystal Tile 2, and just replaced the .sseq files.

II. Replace either Ethan or Lyra's overworld sprite with that of Lance--preferably Lyra, since I have an existing save of her. I see the post above me has instructions for replacing her with Dawn, but is it possible to do so for someone with less available sprites, like Lance?

III. Replacing her trainer back sprite with that of Lance's as well.

EDIT: I guess I'll wait another day for the US version to come out. There's no point in trying to muddle through PokeTex offsets for the Japanese version if I'll be using the new one tomorrow. But my two questions still remain!

Last edited:

Potatomuffin

The One And ONLY!!!
Years
Hello all!
looks like HGSS will be out tommorow in English and so I'm getting ready to hack as I play!
The game seems to be a completely remodeled version of platinum. new things like the Pokegear will provide new opretunities to hack. Get your Modcards ready guys, cause i think this game will be fun to hack AND play!

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Hello all!
looks like HGSS will be out tommorow in English and so I'm getting ready to hack as I play!
The game seems to be a completely remodeled version of platinum. new things like the Pokegear will provide new opretunities to hack. Get your Modcards ready guys, cause i think this game will be fun to hack AND play!
It's not modeled on Platinum...
It's not called a modcard...

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2011
Okay, I see that item 19 on a/0/0/6, using the DP version of PokeDSPic, contains the first two frames of the Lance backsprite. They're in black and white, though, which is curious.

I still have no idea how to find overworld sprites though, since the Japanese PokeTex offsets don't seem to work on the US version.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Hi everyone!

I'm kinda new to hacking, but I have a rather ambitious project that I'm working on. I need help with something, though. I have been editing Attacks in Diamond to great effect, since there is a tool for that, but when I opened SoulSilver to see if I could import my work to that game, I found that the file structure is vastly different!

I tried replacing "waza_tbl.narc" but it didn't seem to work, since the changes I made (making Gunk Shot 130 base power, just for instance) weren't showing up on the status screen like in Diamond. I used Pokesav to give my Totodile some of the attacks that I had edited, just to see if the effects I had hacked were implemented, but it seems like that's not the case. I had hacked Dream Eater to have the same effect as Absorb, Mega Drain, etc, for instance, but it still always fails against non-sleepping foes. This leads me to believe that there is a seperate file that determines the battle effect of moves.

Looking through the SoulSilver file system, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a direct counterpart... in Diamond, there's a whole "waza effect" folder, etc... in HGSS, the only relevant files i see (just by filename) are "kowaza.narc" under data, and "waza_oshie.bin" under wazaoshie/fielddata.

Does anyone have any idea if the Attack system was totally rebuilt for HGSS or if DPPt Attack data is compatible, but simply under a different filename? Any tips or pointers n this area would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Most of the files in HG/SS with coherent names are copies from Platinum or PBR. All the real data is in /a.

I think the move data is in /a/0/1/1.

There are some partial file lists earlier in this thread; see posts 36 and 37.

zenakrua

CSS Pirate
Years
I'm new to this hacking/editing biz so please don't murder me. :P I forged myself a custom OW hero sprite, all 12 positions included, and I was wondering how to drop this in my SS rom. I did some searching and reading of this thread, am I correct in assuming I would use PokeTEX and the list to find where the sprites are stored? How would I then go about changing it? If someone could please either give me a layman's tut or point me in the direction of some helpful threads, I would be most grateful. *goes off to do more research*

EDIT: Okay so.. I did a little more digging, and I found a sprite replacement tut, unfortunately the list I downloaded doesn't seem to work with my English version. However I can attest that a working Acekard 2.1 with 1.6 AKAIO plays both HG and SS unpatched flawlessly. x3

So I guess I can hold out hope that someone more skilled churns out a full-on hero sprite editor, OW + front and backsprites.
Is there a list of hacking tools that currently work for HGSS? A compendium would be cool. :O

.. Omigosh that merging thing is too cool. <3

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
personal.narc?

Hello, I need to use Pokemon Data Editor Ds[PDEDS] in Soul Silver, and for that i need to find personal.narc.
Anybody know where is located?:(

And another small question ... You can change the overworld sprites without poketex?

Thanks

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2012
Seeing as you guys have made progress, is there any chance the 3D engine could be disabled so that the game can be emulated in 2D? This might allow the game to be played on a PSP using the latest DSONPSP application.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Seeing as you guys have made progress, is there any chance the 3D engine could be disabled so that the game can be emulated in 2D? This might allow the game to be played on a PSP using the latest DSONPSP application.
Large parts of the game consist of nothing but 3D models. Surely even if you could just "disable" 3D the game would be rendered unplayable.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Well, to an extent. Unless you used an Action Replay and flattened everything to a 2-D look, that's about it.
I've got a code to do that, but it doesn't change the fact that the models are still 3D. All it does is make them look 2D:

Code:
621D10EC 00000000
B21D10EC 00000000
20001218 00000004
D2000000 00000000

I believe credit goes to elixirdream. It's for SoulSilver (U) but if you look around I'm sure you can find other versions.

Back