The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Yahoo to Prince_of_Light
I've been reading some conflicting information about this, so maybe someone here could help me clear this up. I want to download because I have no way of dumping the ROMs from my own copies of the games (dumping your own ROMs from your own hard copy is DEFINITELY legal in the US).

If it's not legal, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you can't download a digital copy of something that you can prove you own physically. That's like saying you can't download MP3's from a CD you own, but you can rip them all you want. The end result is still the same because you still own the game. It makes no sense.

EDIT: In this case, since my question is solved, let's make this thread a general discussion about the legality and ethical issues pertaining to ROMs. For fun's sake. =P

Last edited by Prince_of_Light; April 16th, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
SIN1488
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
I'll just say this, a ROM image is not a highly monitored thing, illegal or not. So the FBI is not going to break down your door for downloading this type of thing.

I'm not trying to tell you to do something illegal in any way, but I'm just saying if someone did they would not get in trouble for it.
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Send a message via AIM to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Yahoo to Prince_of_Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN1488 View Post
I'll just say this, a ROM image is not a highly monitored thing, illegal or not. So the FBI is not going to break down your door for downloading this type of thing.

I'm not trying to tell you to do something illegal in any way, but I'm just saying if someone did they would not get in trouble for it.
I just like being on the right side of the law, lol. But if this is illegal I'd definitely lobby against it.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

It is still illegal, because you are playing the game under someone else's license to own and play the game. But if you were to make a ROM of your own game, then it wouldn't be illegal since it would be your license you are playing with.

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
SIN1488
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
There are many stupid things that are illegal. Like for example, If I owned my own property, I couldn't make whatever obscene artwork I wanted, even if it was tucked away where only me or a guest could see it, just because it would be obscene enough to violate certain laws.
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket's Raichu View Post
It is still illegal, because you are playing the game under someone else's license to own and play the game. But if you were to make a ROM of your own game, then it wouldn't be illegal since it would be your license you are playing with.
Thank you, that helps things. Guess I'll have to clear out my ROMs now. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN1488 View Post
There are many stupid things that are illegal. Like for example, If I owned my own property, I couldn't make whatever obscene artwork I wanted, even if it was tucked away where only me or a guest could see it, just because it would be obscene enough to violate certain laws.
LET'S LOBBY! lolz.

In this case, since my question is solved, let's make this thread a general discussion about the legality and ethical issues pertaining to ROMs. For fun's sake. =P
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
In some states you can't have ice cream in your back pocket.

But seriously it's like downloading music on Limewire. You can have it on a cd, but you still downloaded it.
If it is illegal, who cares? xD
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:
You are incorrect. It is perfectly legal to download a ROM of a game you physically own. Your license applies to the digital copy of the game as well.

However it IS ILLEGAL to SHARE your digital copy. It's not the downloader who is punished, it's the one sharing the ROM file.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachy View Post

You are incorrect. It is perfectly legal to download a ROM of a game you physically own. Your license applies to the digital copy of the game as well.

However it IS ILLEGAL to SHARE your digital copy. It's not the downloader who is punished, it's the one sharing the ROM file.
That's not what Nintendo says. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Legal Information
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game? There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

source: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Chibi-chan
The Freshmaker!
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
All roms are illegal. Just buy the game again.

/ / ////
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-chan View Post
My games work for the most part, thankfully. I took good care of my SNES. It's just irritating that you can't have multiple self-created copies of property you've paid for to be used for your own personal use. It's common sense. It's like telling people they can't make photocopies of a book and that you have to use the original book, and then when the book gets ruined since you can't make photocopies you have to go buy another one.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Light View Post
It's like telling people they can't make photocopies of a book and that you have to use the original book, and then when the book gets ruined you have to go buy another one.
Technically, you can't do this. :\

Under Construction
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Technically, you can't do this. :\
The world doesn't make sense. DX

What I find strange though is how none of this holds true for music. It's probably because of the nature of digital media though; making copies is necessary for MP3 players to be functional. I found out you can even have a spare burned copy on another CD and an unlimited amount of MP3 copies as long as they're for your own personal use and provided all the copies were made off of the CD/MP3s you own.

However, downloading in all cases is illegal, even if you own the music already. This means if your CD busted and you have no MP3 copies that are made from that CD then you're stuck buying a new CD.

Kinda destroys the spirit of the law if you ask me.

Last edited by Prince_of_Light; April 16th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachy View Post

I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Pachy, it is illegal to do anything with roms... even making roms is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-chan View Post
Thank you for telling the truth, you shall be rewarded in the afterlife!
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
It's more or less a legal gray area right now; for the most part, though, it's illegal. Doesn't mean it's wrong, though.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Pachy, it is illegal to do anything with roms... even making roms is illegal.
This is such a weird area. They area is such a grey one. In some states it is legal if you make your own. In others they are outright illegal.

The Supreme Court said it is illegal to make a ROM of a game if you put it on another cartridge. Though whether a computer, flash drive, or USB card would be considered is a cartridge is also grey.

They should make this black and white, not gray.

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Quote:

This is such a weird area. They area is such a grey one. In some states it is legal if you make your own. In others they are outright illegal.

The Supreme Court said it is illegal to make a ROM of a game if you put it on another cartridge. Though whether a computer, flash drive, or USB card would be considered is a cartridge is also grey.

They should make this black and white, not gray.
For America maybe, but it is illegal completely outside of the US iirc
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
For America maybe, but it is illegal completely outside of the US iirc
Not necessarily. Copyright laws are different in every country. That's why The Pirate Bay was trying to buy an island.

But I would just assume it's illegal, to be honest. It's too up-in-the-air for a definitive answer.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Well, it depends if you own a prototype game, but nobody will break into your house for downloading ROMs. I only download prototypes and betas and demos. Those are legal.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
TheAppleFreak
If it works, make it better.

Nature: Lax
I think it's perfectly legal; that's why I back up all of my DVDs to my computer for safekeeping.

blind engy modding isn't up yet
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart's Soul View Post
Well, it depends if you own a prototype game, but nobody will break into your house for downloading ROMs. I only download prototypes and betas and demos. Those are legal.
Wouldn't they only be disclosed to a certain group of people and not given away to everyone?
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Fair use on the grounds of preservation purposes would like to say "Hi." But even then, it's still not clearly defined and could go either way.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Quote:
Wouldn't they only be disclosed to a certain group of people and not given away to everyone?
I could go into the case of STARFOX2 for Japan which was released as a ROM online, it was legal to download, and we got an English patch.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
You can make copies of your game for yourself only as long as you've bought the product already. You can't give the copies to friends, though, and you certainly can't sell'em. If you don't own the product, it's illegal to download it.

Some companies don't even permit back-ups, like Nintendo ($.$); Sony and Microsoft don't really care, as long as you buy the game once.

All Nintendo game handbooks state specifically that back-ups "are not needed". That message is not on Sony or Microsoft games.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Nature: Naughty
For all saying you can make your own backups, I've read elsewhere that that isn't even true either. I'll have to find that quote.
Anyway, not encouraging you or anything, but I can't say I've heard of a case where the downloader was prosecuted.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links