The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

View Poll Results: Support?
Yes 36 70.59%
No 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Well, the Day of Silence was here today, and I wore the piece of paper supporting homosexual rights though I couldn't stay quiet.

Well, that's better than nothing.

What did you do to end the silence?

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I honestly didn't know it was today. At my old school, people were all about it. I even got bullied for partaking in it. At my current school, no one, not even any LGBT people, seem to know about it. We tried telling them one year, but they took it offensively. :|

Either way, I haven't been silent since 9th grade. Besides, it's our spring break right now, so no one would know whether I'm doing it or not. It's either unknown or looked down upon in Alabama anyway.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Izanagi
Jesus Saves.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Izanagi
I didn't partake, because I personally, and not to be taken personally, don't support gay marriage and the likes.

~ I'm a Christian, saved by Jesus Christ ~
Behold,the original Pokemon: Choose Your Own Adventure Game!
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Staying quiet about a subject that needs to be talked about seems counter productive, doesn't it?
It isn't like being quiet will make groups like the National Organization For Marriage open their eyes and see that they were just being homophobic bigots the whole time.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ayselipera

My school did the day of silence yesterday.

You just pay five dollars for a t-shirt that says 'Day of Silence 2010' so the teachers know you're partaking in it for the day. After that then you, don't talk for the rest of the day of course. Everyone is usually respectful of it. Although I support LGBT rights I didn't join it. I could never stay silent for a whole day. I feel like if I joined I'd end up talking and that would make me seem like I wasn't taking it seriously or that I was being disrespectful. :/
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mattysaurus
Take it slow, braaah
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mattysaurus
I forgot it was today until lunch.
They I was silent the rest of the day.
If that counts. :/

With enemies like that, who needs friends?
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Aureol
Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
Well, it's a poll, so I'm posting my answer as well. This is a highly sensitive subject and one I care not to debate on the internet (in-person conversations always seem to work out better for me ). Anyways, I do not support it. I will not tell why, but I can say that not all reasons are religious. I won't assault anyone for celebrating this either...

Well, let me be clearer. I don't support gay marriage, but I DO support the end of discriminative bullying and whatnot. It's one thing to fight for what you believe in, but bullying, mocking, assault or any of those behaviors are wrong, no matter what group it's aimed at. So, in a sense I do support this day, but in another sense I don't.

EDIT: Wait a minute, this is allowed at a public school? For some reason, if this was aimed for Jews, I doubt they would receive the same sympathy...
I believe in God, I am a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am a "Mormon" (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). If you ever want to learn about Mormonism, feel free to PM me or go to the official website (mormon.org).
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
{NM}Redwolf
Rebels against the God

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
I didn't partake, because I personally, and not to be taken personally, don't support gay marriage and the likes.
I'm with you all the way man. I'm a catholic so i frown upon such things. that and i'm homophobic..........
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy
Booted out - don't be like me!

I didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by {NM}Redwolf View Post
I'm with you all the way man. I'm a catholic so i frown upon such things. that and i'm homophobic..........
I'm a confirmed Roman Catholic too, but I don't particularly think it's right to take the Bible at face value. The laws of Leviticus may or may not be valid, but it's not our place to force them on people who don't believe them.

Besides, did Jesus not say to love one another as he has loved us? Why all the hate in his name?

Also, I always forget the day of silence. I'm rather quiet in my day-to-day life anyways, so I bet no one noticed. XD

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Izanagi
Jesus Saves.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Izanagi
My friend, who said anything about hate? I don't hate homosexuals, I have homosexual friends, but that does not, by any means, mean I approve of their sexual prefferences.

~ I'm a Christian, saved by Jesus Christ ~
Behold,the original Pokemon: Choose Your Own Adventure Game!
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

My post was directed at the dude who just explicitly described himself as a homophobic, not you. You're alright. :P

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press. In totally I made 11 people break there row, shows how serious they where about that.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Åzurε
Shi-shi-shi-shaw!

I'm no homophobe, but I don't support it (Christian here). I really don't get the whole issue with LGBT, why there's so many people making a show of standing up for them. It appears they've become something of a vocal minority anyways. I get the whole playground stigma (Gay as an insult, etc.), but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people who end up identifying themselves like this just confused kids learning about so many different forms of sex before they should, and plain ol' drama.

It's funny how us churchgoers need to hush up, but we gotta fight, fight, fight for gay rights. Little observations.

Also, Timbjerr, the Bible doesn't work like that in my experience. Homosexuality, at least, is directly addressed as a sin in both Old and New Testaments. I'm not saying we should all go "Gays go to hell", but glossing over a bit of the Bible to make it more attractive to a single person defeats the point.

EDIT: Eh, Aureol has it right. It's not the time or thread to try that again. I wasn't trying to start a debate in any case.

Last edited by Åzurε; April 17th, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Aureol
Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Community Supporter Tier 5

Hey guys, it's awesome there are so many that are on the same side as me on this issue, but can we please leave that stuff out? There's nothing worse than a debate thread on abortion/LGBT morality/religious tolerance/other moral issues. Let's just leave the topic at whether you supported this day or not before we get angryfaces.
I believe in God, I am a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am a "Mormon" (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). If you ever want to learn about Mormonism, feel free to PM me or go to the official website (mormon.org).
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
wee187
Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09

Nature: Naive
Eh, I kind of already had my angryface, not at people's opposition to the DOS, but the insults at it. Spitting in someone's face like some do just really anger me sometimes.

Big Sis =3|Teh Bro o.O
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I was not aware of such a day (but I live in a socially conservative area of a politically divided state).

This does, however, remind me of something many of the members of the SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving) organization at my school have done on a yearly basis: paint their faces black and white and not speak the whole day to advocate against drunk driving and to be a representation of those who have died in such accidents.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Jubilation
lesbihonest

Nature: Brave
I was meaning to partake in this, but alas my brother annoyed me until I hurled abuse at him.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM
shookie
Often scatters things.

Nature: Quiet
I totally forgot it was today Thankfully I'm normally a quiet person, and seeing as how there weren't that many people in my class today, I didn't talk much anyway.
As a supporter of the LGBT community and friends to those who are or were bullied, I support the day as a whole. I'm not a big fan of being uppity about it to people, I would only make it clear if I had something that I had to talk about, like a presentation or something similar.

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I participated in something similar, which was school-run instead of through a larger group. Rather than focus on LGBT, it was focused on drunk driving and its consequences. I was "killed" in Biology class and spent the rest of the day dressed in black with my face painted white, and I couldn't talk to anybody. I also had to sit at a certain table for lunch, and at the end of the day, everybody that participated stood by the exits to face all of the people leaving.

Signature drawn by me.

Old April 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
I didn't even know it existed if that says anything about what I did...

But I probably wouldn't participate anyway because imo protests are a waste of time and it reminds me of those people who wear tape on their mouths to protest abortion and are a joke.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
SkyKnight
泣かないで。

Nature: Relaxed
My school did it today, and people had to papers stuck on their shirts, backpacks, etc. I wanted to partake in it, but I didn't. Mainly because I don't think I could last the whole day without talking, and if I did (while doing it), I would feel really bad that I broke the silence.

Old April 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
chadgraphix
the Fame.

It happened at my school, today. It was kinda cool. It wasn't just people who were LGBT, it was for the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance).

They wore tape over their mouth with an X on it to represent it.

Edit:

BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people. I'm bi, but didn't participitate.

Trade Thread

Last edited by chadgraphix; April 16th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Nope, didn't participate. I'm all for equal treatment of everyone, but this just seems silly to me. If I want to make a difference, I'll donate to the ACLU or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgraphix View Post
BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people.
Oh irony.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary, the Magic Fairy View Post
I didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.
I kinda agree with this. ://
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
Okay, so about this. I had everything planned out in advance: I had cards printed out, fliers to hand out, information about it [like who it is in memory of this year, 4 truths, etc.] and everything was going great most of the day. I was quiet. I gave my friends cards so they'd be in the loop. Word spread around the school, and my [gay ex-boy]friend was silent with me.

. . But, of course, today of all days was the day we were setting up for prom. So, I, being bossy and responsible was given the task to instruct people on the creation of a 17 foot tall replica of the Eiffel Tower . . and that was just the beginning. After a while, it became too much of a bother to stay quiet / write everything out and I resumed speaking to bark orders out. :\

And yeah, since we [my friend and I] were roped into helping all day, the DoS kind of dropped :[
Had it been any other day, we'd have been able to keep silent, but it just isn't safe when handling tools/putting stuff together without communication lol. D:

So, yeah. XD;

Quote:
But I probably wouldn't participate anyway because imo protests are a waste of time and it reminds me of those people who wear tape on their mouths to protest abortion and are a joke.
Lol. My friends were like "wtf" when I wasn't talking - because I talk. A lot. And then I handed them the pamphlet and they were like oh wow. And . . it got people talking, so idk. Lol.

Quote:
Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press. In totally I made 11 people break there row, shows how serious they where about that.
..lol. mature.

Quote:
didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.
That's not exactly feasible
What's wrong with spreading tolerance?

Haters to the left, kthnx.

Last edited by Ursula; April 16th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links