The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Oh, ok. Not adding then. =P

And if anyone else on the list of clients found a beta reader, please post saying so/notify me via vm/pm please.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Delusions of Originality
like a thunderbolt

Nature: Quiet
*blows dust off thread*

Delusions isn't reading enough fanfic. ): So, in addition to getting around to reading what's already here now that I've got a bit more time, why not force myself to read a fic or two and give someone a little extra help at the same time? Sign me up, yo.

Category: Comprehensive
Genre: Pretty much anything that's not straight-up romance or sex; I don't know that I'm the right person to ask about tragedy or angst, either, but you can try me. Sci-fi confuses the tar out of me but I'm still willing to try and help with it anyway.
Preferred method of contact: PM for initial contact/general discussion; I'll work something out with you when it's time to start sharing the to-beta stuff.
Examples of writing: ...do I have to? ): buuuhh I have no self-confidence and also haven't finished anything in years. The best complete work I've got on hand is a one-shot I wrote a few years ago that is a crappy failattempt at failangst (I told you I'm bad with angst; I don't even know why I wrote this), but I am proud of it purely because it is actually done. And it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out.

What Would You Do, Luther Sellig?

I can dig out some bits and pieces of incomplete stuff if you really need to see more, but yeah.

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Lesseehere. This is a recent review of Negrek's Clouded Sky on FF.net, chapter 41...

Spoiler:

Omai, so Accemenla's come back. I know it hasn't actually been that many chapters since we've seen her, but it feels like it's been forever. (Maybe if you actually updated "on Tuesday" like you said...) At first I thought she was wandering around the Saltmarsh area and just thinking about Tobias, but no, looks like she's followed him... or followed Chevron, anyway. Also good to see Chevron moving a little ways up in actual plottiness, even if it is indirectly.

It'd be nice if there were some sort of visual separation between the part about Accemenla and the jump to Tobias, though, the way you usually do it.

""Oh, he's over there somewhere, up to something, probably." Tobias didn't have to look to point to where he knew Jinx must be. It he stopped and thought for a moment,"

If, not it.

"With the silence stretching on and the prospects on his plate unappetizing, Tobias blurted something he wouldn't ordinarily have said."

Blurted out?

"Two days later, in the still darkness of the early hours, he slung his heavy pack onto his back and crept from his room, out onto the open plains and away. By the time the sun rose he was nearly fifty miles out, making good time through the snow."

That threw me off for a sec-I was about to ask how on earth Tobias could walk fifty miles in the snow in a few hours, but then I remembered faint attack... eh, maybe I'm just distracted by the movie I should be finishing, but perhaps a mention of him calling out Jinx as he slips out might make it less mentally jarring and remind forgetful folk like me about the move.

"If it weren't for the knowledge that his supplies were limited and that the cold, already more than a little of an obstacle,"

I dunno, but that last bit about the obstacle seems awkward. "More than a bit", maybe? "A little of an" just doesn't flow well, imo.

"Since when did Accemenla know hypnosis!"

Question mark, maybe?

"but Tobias noticed it for no more than a fleeting moment before the Tarsix”

Didn’t mean to capitalize tarsix there, I think.

The whole Accemenla scene was pretty intense; there’s always been a part of me, ever since her desertion the last time we saw her, that thinks there’s a little bit of... eh, not *compassion*, per se, but pity for Tobias somewhere deep down. Seeing as how she just tried to drowninate him that’s seeming less and less likely, although I know with you it’s never so cut and dry. I guess I’ll just have to see. Igneous to the rescue at the end there was a nice touch, though how he’s going to get Tobias out of the river... you wouldn’t be so dastardly as to go so long between updates if you’re stopping on a cliffhanger, would you? D:

Oh oh oh and I just did one here! Review of the first two chapters of Captain Fabio's Through the Lens: tadaaa.

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): Say it with me, kids: procrastinaaaaaa-tion. I am the Queen Procrastinatrix, although part of the reason I'm applying to be a beta is because I'm trying to break that habit (at least when it comes to fic reading and commenting). I also never shut up; if I start to ramble and you lose my point in a Wall of Text, please do smack me and tell me to be more concise.

That said, though, when I do buckle down and git 'er done, I'm very thorough and don't miss much. My grasp of English is pretty strong, helped along by the fact that I was very nearly an English major of some sort or another. I like to think I know what I'm talking about, anyway, so you should be in good hands with me. If, you know, I ever actually read what you send me. (I'll try to be punctual, I promise!)

the dcNET Phoenixdex: Delusion/Phoenix's unnecessarily massive personal fakedex and fanregion project

new! work your way through the battle tower with actual Phoenixdex fakemon! try the EOC Tower Demo and get your kraitra rain sweep on today!

sprite in avatar/userbar by bluwiikoon

Other exciting things to click for fun and profit
///
Delusions's Art Thread | The Demented Chicken Network | Outrage (a one-shot) \\\
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Legendarian Mistress
Fic Writer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Legendarian Mistress Send a message via Yahoo to Legendarian Mistress
Title of Story: Ending Sunrise
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: Team Rocket has successfully taken over Kanto. Will the Chosen, recently returned from Sinnoh, be able to stop them?
Genre: Friendship & Suspense
Rating (PG, R, etc): M
Type of mentor needed: Azurne (Character Beta) and Yusshin (Grammar/Language Beta)
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
Natalie brushed her hair from her face as she stared blankly out of the window overlooking their front lawn. The sun was going down over the area so the sky had developed a glow above it. She traced her finger down the window, allowing the smudge from her fingertip to form an almost perfectly straight line down the reflective surface. Her sister was gone without any words to bridge the reason of her departure. She could feel the loneliness swell within the confines of her chest.

After prying herself away from the window, she straightened her miniskirt to the point that it almost ripped. Beyond the feelings of loneliness, she couldn’t help but feel a bit angry with her sister's sudden decision to leave. Even now she could see the ship drifting off into the distance in her mind’s eye. Everything seemed so different now. She knew something had changed within Josephine’s eyes the day that she gave a weak goodbye towards her. They held the sense of change, and they basically bellowed the seriousness in her entire body. She could have at least have taken her upon her journey. However, that didn’t happen. She was standing within these walls already waiting for her return.

With her face red with emotion — and her mind filled to the brim with such — she continued walking down the narrow hallway like a phantom. Down the hallway, she came upon what was once Josephine’s room. Her body almost felt as though it was moving by itself as she reached for the silver doorknob. She twisted it, and the door creaked as she pushed it open, allowing the young girl to enter silently within the darkness of the room. Natalie fiddled with the wall until her fingertips touched the light switch. She clicked it.

The room was lit with a flow of yellow light, causing Natalie to squint as she tried to observe her sister’s room. The dark colour of the room, a navy blue hue like a Luxray’s fur, helped her eyes adjust to the sudden surge of illumination. She wandered slowly into the room. The scattered pages of Josephine's journal littered the floor with more even pouring onto the bed. She picked up a page. It was the day she graduated from trainer school, taped to the front with the graduation picture. Paul was in it circled with a black marker. Natalie's tears soon blurred her vision. She pulled it closer as she looked at her sister in the picture. That smile was much happier than the one that she saw that day that she left; a faded shell of it was all that she saw.

As she ventured deeper within her sister’s room, more of her feelings towards Josephine leaving began to bloom. She couldn’t decide what she was angry at or why she was angry in the first place. She knew why she was sad however: her sister had ventured to Sinnoh without her. Natalie ran out of the room with the tears streaming down her face. She could still remember those words that she spoke to her parents, those same words that she resented as they played in her mind over and over again.

Other: I have been writing Pokémon fics since late 2005 and I see myself as a perfectionist. As such, I hate making mistakes.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Opening up shop again. This'll probably last a couple of weeks before I go psychotic. (Remember the last time? That was fun.)

Category: Comprehensive, Character, Grammar, Proofreader
Genre: Anything, but sci-fi's where I have the most fun. Yes, I even do smutfic if you want to write it for another site or something.
Preferred method of contact: PMs or VMs to set things up. After that, whatever's good for you.
Examples of writing: Anima Ex Machina is my current baby. For other samples, feel free to visit my Fanfiction.net account for other fanfiction and my deviantART account for poetry and writing snippets.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports:
- The Ash Ketchum Chronicles (Typical review, complete with my usual focus areas.)
- Oak's Revenge (Comprehensive analysis of characterization and language usage.)
- 7fEATHERS (Brief structural analysis, plus plot and characterization commentary.)
- The story of Burorm the freak (Another typical review.)
- Note: Because I like to keep my betas private, I can't offer an accurate sample of what one looks like. I can say, however, that I've worked with Legendarian Mistress for all of her current fics. One sample of an end result is her OT story, Ending Sunrise.
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):
Strengths: I'm a college graduate with a degree in English, grammar nazi tendencies, and an aspiration of getting into the publishing industry. I'm not saying this to flaunt my credentials. I'm saying this to tell you that if you ask for me, you're getting someone who's confident she knows what she's talking about. I'm thorough, I'm a perfectionist, and I've done the entire lit crit business for years. I know a good character from one that could use a little work, I can spot plot holes from miles away, I can tell what kinds of tones every little sentence lends to a paragraph, and I know more grammatical rules than most people think exist. In other words, if you ask for me, I've got a lot of tricks in the box to help you out without a problem.

Weaknesses: However, I'm also a massive procrastinator. I've been known to take a week for proofreading five pages, and it's probably going to be slower because I'm usually tied up with real-life stuff (or distractions of some kind). I'll keep in touch with you to tell you how it's going, but I'll probably be slower than a lot of other beta readers on the list.

Additionally, as I've said before, I know a lot about writing, but this also means I can be one intense ***** if I think you can do better or if I end up repeating myself for every chapter you send me. I usually expect betas to proofread their work before sending it in, and if you work with me, be prepared for lots of explanation, lots of nitpicking, and lots of instances where you really can't be a sensitive person. See some of my reviews for examples, although I've been trying to soften up a little since.

Finally, I'm also human. This means I might miss things, and it also means that I might not explain things well. (The latter is especially because I often work on betas late at night, so if it sounds like it makes sense to me, it might not to anyone else.) After you get my analysis back, read over it carefully, read over your original carefully to see if some of the things I said can be applied where I didn't notice, and most importantly, if something doesn't make sense, please don't hesitate to ask.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:26 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Updated you in Jax. =p (Also Delusions of Originality so here's your confirmation now derp >_<). Yes I am vaguely alive.

Old September 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Soul Hunter X
Beginning Trainer

I'd like to restart an old story on Serebii (link given under Writing Sample section).

Title of Story
Original Title -- Pokemon: Golden Dreams
Working Title -- [Pokemon] Nexus of Dreams
Final title preference (I'd like beta suggestions as to this.): Something with 'Dreams', or 'Aurora'.
Fandom
HG/SS. See spoiler for entire list of additions to it.
Spoiler:
>> Super Contests world over, Grand Festival later on.
>>Gym Leaders are exceptionally strong.
>Their roster will be adjusted to match the above.
>They will have around twenty Pokemon in their Gym from which they may choose a select number for Gym battles only. E.G. Falkner has a Charizard, Skarmory, and Dodrio, but in-battle, he uses Pidgeotto and Skarmory. ?>>Oak's assistant is a new main character.
>>Starter Pokemon from Kanto appear. I'm toying with having Sinnoh+Hoenn starters appear.

Plot summary
Rick Tate is a normal kid in our world, around thirteen, who has a deep dislike of a certain monster-battle oriented franchise .... Pokemon. One day, after watching his friend Jacob's Grovyle evolve into Sceptile on Sapphire, Rick decides to go to sleep. When he wakes up to find his entire world has changed, Rick collapses in intense pain. Experiencing a strange dream, he wakes up in hospital to discover that he's in the Pokemon world and has an extremely dangerous disease, he is forced to do something no one ever expected he would do.

Rick and his two new Pokemon 'partners' leave on a journey, to bring him closer to Pokemon - the only cure for his disease.

If you found that confusing, here it is: Pokemon-disliking Rick gets sucked into the Pokemon world, where, after a seizure, he's told he has a disease that could kill him. The cure? Going on a loooong journey with a bunch of unbelievable monsters he doesn't even know about.

Genre
Adventure/Drama.

Rating
K+, due to the occasional "crap" and mentions of death. Be warned! I WILL kill off characters if I need to.

Type of mentor needed
I'm looking for someone who can help with character development and who can stand a deep-ish plot involving dimensional holes, about 6-9 protagonists and legendaries with uber powers. Occasional spell/grammar checks required.

Writing sample of story
The old story can be found at Serebii.net Forums->Fanfiction->Pokemon: Golden Dreams.

Other
The link above is the OLD story, which is to be revamped. Bear that in mind, please. Also, if you agree to beta it, I will send you the entire plot (so far), including rosters and characters.
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

^ Added. Put you up as wanting a Character/Plot/Comprehensive Beta Reader as well.

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Eeveemaster9
Years of Lies

Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to Eeveemaster9 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Eeveemaster9 Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveemaster9
Title of Story: The Reality of Fantasy

Fandom: Other

Plot summary: After a long night partying with his friends, Kevin falls asleep rather quickly, only to find himself in a cage when he awakens. After encountering a young girl (Alia) whom is in the same situation, Kevin begins to get an idea of why he is there when a mysterious girl approaches him after Alia had been removed from her cage by "The Dragging Boy".

Genre: Sci-fi, Fantasy, Thriller

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG+14 (Minor swearing, Gore, & Minor Sexual References)

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive (Grammar, Character)

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Was I still dreaming? Or had I gone blind overnight? I was lying on cold metal, instead of my fluffy blankets. My back was stiff from laying on the hard surface for such a long time. I opened my eyes a crack. It felt empty around me. I wasn't in my room. I opened my eyes a little wider, and looked around. It was darkness that greeted me, instead of the bright morning sun I knew so well. What the hell...? I tuned my ears to listen to things around me. There was nothing but silence. The silence you feel when at a funeral. I choked back a cough.

I felt around with my hand, still laying down on the surface I was on. My fingers crept along like the legs of a spider, and they were sensitive to everything they touched. I was reaching to the left of me, and before my arm could go to full length, the legs of the spider grasped a metal bar going vertical from the metal flooring. I was in a cage. I was trapped.

You know the first thing that came through my thick skull? I wasn't going to be able to get that new book. That new volume was about kidnappings and assassins... (Oh, irony how you've never failed me) ....Horrified by my discovery, I attempted to stand, only to hit my head hard against metal similar to the one beneath me. It was like brick falling on my head while on fire. "Fuuu-Ouch." I groaned, lowering my poor head. I rubbed the bump that was already starting to form, and I looked around as best I could. My only light source was that coming from another room, and it was leaking out from underneath a doorframe several metres away.

I began to spread my pale fingers through my short brown hair in frustration. Damn it all... Where was I? How did I get here? Questions tumbled down on me like an avalanche. What kind of prank was this!? Why me?!

Abruptly I could hear muffled crying, and I stopped my hysteria. It was a girl. She seemed close to me. I swallowed roughly to clear my throat. "Hello?" My voice echoed in the room, and like a spell, the girl stopped her whimpering to reply hesitantly. "H-hello?"

I was almost relieved to hear her reply. Though her voice was unfamiliar, I was glad I wasn't alone in this. "Do you know where we are?" I asked, moving closer to where I thought the voice was coming from. My bright blue eyes scanned for any sign of the girl, but my nose touched another metal bar. The girl was in another cage from my own. It took a moment for her to reply, and I could hear her sniffles and attempts to calm herself. Why was she so terrified?

"They're going to kill us. We're both going to die."

Other: I lack in proper grammar skills, and making characters more realistic. I may also need help to make the setting believeable.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Added to the list!

BTW there are still people on said list for a number of months now - so please tell me if you found someone and/or no longer looking for a Beta Reader, or if you are still looking!

Old February 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Otherworld9)
Bard of Rage

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Otherworld9) Send a message via Skype™ to Otherworld9)
Title of Story: Digimon: Shadows of Souls

Fandom: Other...digimon.

Plot summary: Atina woke up one day to find herself as a Lopmon. As she uncovers the secrets to survive as a digimon, yet ignoring her feelings as a human, deep within the digimon world, a god in enraged by her encounter, causing a change in the digital world. There is more to this, but I need think more on the deeper plot.

Genre: Fantasy(sorry if I am terrible at this, but it will have some romance in this, so it's genre is also romantic, right?)

Rating: In the Fan Fiction rating, then T for teens (might not have it in the beginning, but will have some romance and maybe violence later on as it progresses.)

Type of mentor needed: May I ask for JX Valentine? I am bad, and need to improve by much, even if it is critical comments that really hit me bad...it improves me.

Writing sample of story:

Spoiler:

"Wake up."
The voice startled the child. Opening her eyes, she saw what she thought was ought to never happen. It was another silly dream of hers I suppose, and her fan-based over Digimon. Thanks to her love over that show, she was realizing that it was taking her too far into her dreams....she had to stop that drive for more.
Once she did open her eyes, she stood up and felt awkward. She never felt any feeling or emotion in any dream, she was the person who saw what seems to be a TV right inside her eyes. This time however, she was living in it, which wasn't usual. She stumbled at trying to get up, her legs feeling different than usual, and right in front of her was some kind of digimon. It was a Minomon. Hanging from a thread that connected to the tree above them, it gazed down upon the confused child. She just looked up, rather confused at the digimon.
"Are you okay?" the Minomon asked her. She felt strange, and she felt as if...her ears were huge in size and....wait. She felt smaller in size, smaller in stature. Did she become a....no. Impossible. This is only a dream, right? It has to be, for she never had a dream that she was the main character until now. Eventually she'll wake up when she gets hit or such, minutes after the pain, she wakes up. She then decides it might work, and immediately starts dashing towards the tree to her left, and suddenly trips over something that was an extension of her body, since she felt the pain when she stepped on it, and tripped helplessly to the ground face foward. The Minomon grew worried.
"Are you okay!?" he yelled, utterly worried the girl was demented or memory lost.
"I'm.....I'm okay," the girl responded as she twirled around with birds flying around her head. Dizzy, yet the pain didn't go away. Puzzled from the fact she wasn't awake yet, she tried hitting her head into the tree, which didn't work out. Trying to understand the problem, the Minomon lowered itself to be at eye level with the newcomer. She was different, and studied her. When she realized what he was doing, she immediately backed away, looking confused yet scared.
"Is this a dream?" she asked him, making him confused at her question.
"Why, no. Why do you think that?" the Minomon answered. She grew terrified, and suddenly dashed off, yelling in terror. "WAIT!" he yelled out for her, now after her. he couldn't move though, not in the state he was. Good thing he saved his energy in case of an emergency. He sucked the energy out of him as he was turned into a cocoon that turned into a transparent circle. Inside, data transformed the Minomon into Wormmon. Once done, the circle broke into tiny pieces and the Wormmon fell out, landing safely. He then immediately dashed after her, avoiding obstacles in his way.

Very important: I am impatient. When a day passes and I got no response, I try to hold myself from PMs and such to get a response, even if it is negative. If I pm/email a story or such.....I NEED my review back by a few hours(one day at maximum...like waking up the next day and being impatient as to quit.) Sorry for my habit, I tried, but no use.

Last edited by Otherworld9); February 16th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Added to the list, as Jax told me she can't take you on - as a beside if you want someone specific just contact them instead of posting here first I suggest. Also:
Quote:
Very important: I am impatient. When a day passes and I got no response, I try to hold myself from PMs and such to get a response, even if it is negative. If I pm/email a story or such.....I NEED my review back by a few hours(one day at maximum...like waking up the next day and being impatient as to quit.) Sorry for my habit, I tried, but no use.
I would not be too hopeful about finding someone who can reply straight away. =| Betas tend to take time, and people are often busy with other stuff like life (school, work, etc) and possibly other betas too, so to need a reply back in a day, let alone a few hours, are very high expectations and probably just plain unrealistic to have as well. =|

Old February 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Otherworld9)
Bard of Rage

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Otherworld9) Send a message via Skype™ to Otherworld9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Also:I would not be too hopeful about finding someone who can reply straight away. =| Betas tend to take time, and people are often busy with other stuff like life (school, work, etc) and possibly other betas too, so to need a reply back in a day, let alone a few hours, are very high expectations and probably just plain unrealistic to have as well. =|
I'll wait a week at most, that's the most patient I am...but I will not do the hours, I was just exaggerating, XD. Either way, I am quite impatient, so I can't guarantee niceness in me if weeks pass....which I think won't.

By another mentor? Is that what you mean by that?...in that case, I need a proofreader and one who can tell me if something seems off or wrong about the story.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

If the mentor that you specifically want can't take you on because they already has enough clients, then you will have to wait for someone else to accept you.

I also wouldn't suggest even exaggerating in your application to this thread. Doing so (especially when you mention that the betas need to work under your time limit and will be pestered if they don't) won't make it likely that someone will be willing to help you. Generally a beta job can be finished in under a week, but sometimes things happen that will make it take longer, and if you are rude to your beta, they can drop you.

Last edited by Astinus; April 28th, 2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: pronouns!
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Otherworld9)
Bard of Rage

By chance, if you have found a mentor off in the real world and you don't need this one, then are you eliminated here or still here? I just need to make sure.
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld9) View Post
By chance, if you have found a mentor off in the real world and you don't need this one, then are you eliminated here or still here? I just need to make sure.
That's... worded somewhat confusingly. ._. At any rate, if you already have a mentor either from here or elsewhere and/or you do not want a mentor from here anymore, tell me or Astinus and you'll be removed from the list. Otherwise you'll stay on it.

Old February 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Otherworld9)
Bard of Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
That's... worded somewhat confusingly. ._. At any rate, if you already have a mentor either from here or elsewhere and/or you do not want a mentor from here anymore, tell me or Astinus and you'll be removed from the list. Otherwise you'll stay on it.
In this case, then I wish to be removed. Sorry if you went through all the time to add me, but I found somebody to be my mentor already somewhere else....and can I be eliminated? Sorry.
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

All right then, updated that fact.

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Impo
Vital Spirit

Nature: Relaxed
Title of Story: Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney: The Twin Siren
Fandom: Professor Layton
Plot summary:
Genre: Action, Mystery
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG
Type of mentor needed: Proof-reading (Someone good with grammar)
Writing sample of story: Here's the story instead
Other: This is a long story, and I may make a sequel, so be prepared for long work.

Vigoroth
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera
Paired to ShiningRaichu
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Added you to the list, Impo.

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
BlazeGirl12
Just Another Pokemon Player

Location: In the forest on Route 25 (near Cerulean, in Kanto)
Nature: Quirky
I'm completely new to all this and I'd really like someone to help me out with my story! I've always liked to write, but hopefully I will actually finish this project.

Title of Story: Legend Bound (tentative at this point, I had to think of one fast )
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: The story of four sisters (the grandchildren of Professor Rowan) traveling through Sinnoh, Johto, Kanto, and Unova. However, there was a prophecy about them in ancient times, where it was said that they would possess powers as great as legendary Pokemon. I plan to alternate chapters between the characters, starting with just the oldest and adding others at the right place in the overall timeline.
Genre: OT, some Romance (though not a ton)
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG, for mild violence and some romance (I keep my writing clean and language free, though)
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive, Plot, Proofreading
Writing sample of story: (this is just the prologue)
Spoiler:

An elderly woman sat by a roaring bonfire, studying the flames intently. She had a deeply lined face, hardened by years of discovering the often tragic destinies of others. Her eyes were a mysterious shade of blue-gray, and her long, unkempt hair had turned white many years ago. Though no one knew exactly how old she was, one could tell just by looking at her that she was ancient, as ancient as the stars above and the caves below.
Another man interrupted her nightly meditation. This man was much younger than the woman, but he appeared a good bit older because of his angular, stony features and his graying beard. With a solemn, deep voice, he asked her, “Have you any message from the creatures of legend, Elder Alicia?”
“I have, Chosen One,” replied the woman in an equally deep voice, “but it is unknown whether it will pertain to our current situation.”
Gravely, the man nodded. “Let it be told then, as it could save our village from annihilation.”
“Fine, then, I will tell you. But you shall be surprised, even angered, as I can already sense.” She paused to take a deep breath.
Four sisters one day shall rise,
With the Power to rule both earth and skies
The oldest shall be the greatest, with powers of survival
The next shall possess knowledge that none can rival
The youngest be the weakest, but play an important role
In keeping the one that comes before her under the control
Of the laws of ancient times, as she could turn out to be
The one who tips the scales and destroys the other three.”
The man contemplated this for a second, with a thoughtful expression on his face. However, his expression quickly changed to that of anger.
“How could four girls possibly be as powerful as the legends of old? Inconceivable!”
“I warned you that the news would not be pleasant to your ears,” the elder replied. “But it will come true sometime in the future of the earth, whether tomorrow or many tomorrows from now, as all my prophecies do.”
The other man refused to be subdued. “Why do I waste my time listening to you, a foolish old woman? If I had as much power as my father, I could cast you into exile this minute and find someone who would tell me what I want to hear. Someone who would predict the coming of a hero, a strong man who would protect our village and the world! But what do I get instead? Some nonsense about some little maidens who will rise to power! I demand that you take your prophecy back!”
“Raikeon!” The elder spoke sharply, with an air of command in her voice. “Do you not remember why your father was able to possess so much power? He did not misuse it, like you would, had you been given his same powers! All you care for is wielding your power and being reassured of your greatness! You would be wise to watch your words with me, chosen one of thunder, as one word from me can depose you in an instant. And you know as well as I do that once a prophecy is spoken, it can NEVER be taken back.”
The man seemed taken aback for a second, but then he hung his head in shame. “I apologize for angering you, o elder with the blessing of Arceus. As you have spoken, so may it happen.”
“Good. Then off with you. I must finish my meditation.”
“Goodnight, elderess.”
The woman made no reply as the man plodded away. She knew that in his heart, he would accept whatever she said, whether he appeared to agree on the outside or not. The elder finally closed her drowsy eyelids in search of a peaceful sleep.

Other: I am a complete newbie at this sort of thing, but I've done pretty well at writing in school. My big problem? Definitely procrastination. Hopefully having a beta reader will motivate me to actually finish a story for once in my life.
I have already thought through a lot of the plot and character development, I just need to start writing before my life gets insanely busy again.

I believe in Jesus Christ. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then put this in your signature.
Please visit my website, BlazeGirl12's Creative Haven! Anyone who joins will be considered for moderator.
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:04 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

I've added you to the list.

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding

Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Title of Story: Pokemon Adventures
Plot summary: Doesn't have one. Just read the story. But it is a PaulxOC fic, set in Kanto.
Genre: Romance/Adventure
Rating (PG, R, etc): Right now it's PG-13, but as I write it will change to R rated.
Type of mentor needed: I need a spell checker, and a grammar checker. And I wanna make sure I got Paul in character right.
Writing sample of story:
As soon as they got there they heard a voice saying,"Your not what I'm looking for. Be gone."

"That could only be, Paul," said Kairi. Her and Pikachu went up to him,"What do you think your doing!?" She demanded, noticing Paul releasing a Starly he had just caught.

"That's none of your business!" Said Paul.

"It is when your abandoning a Pokemon you just caught," she demanded.

"If your so consersed, why don't you take it," said Paul.

"Yes, I think maybe I will. Come on Starly, you don't need him!" Kairi said, as she grabbed the Starly's Poke Ball out of Paul's hand in an angry tone. She returned Starly to her Poke Ball. Paul got ready to turn and walk away when Kairi called out,"Wait!"

"What is it now?" Paul asked her, as he turned around to face her.

"You left your Pokedex and Poke Balls at the lab. I don't know where you found that Poke Ball, but here," Kairi handed Paul his Pokedex and Poke Balls. She realized he must have just found a Poke Ball laying around on the route and used it.

"Thank you," Paul said, putting the stuff into his bag. He then turned and walked away.

'Did...Did he just thank me!?' Kairi wondered, confused. She watched Paul as he walked away, hands on his hips.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

And you have been added to the list!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
sheep261
Beginning Trainer

Hey there all, I'm writing my first fanfiction, so I need a beta reader for any updates I have in the future

Title of Story: The Return of a Legend (13+)
Plot summary: A once old hero that was left for mysterious reasons, who now returns to the world, where much has changed for him
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance maybe if I want it....
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG 13+
Type of mentor needed: Someone who can look through my work and look for any places which are lacking in detail, and also maybe a proof reader if someone has the time as well.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
It was a sunny evening in the middle of Autumn, with a fine mist developing a certain mountain not far from Pallet Town. The view from the top was simply jaw dropping for an ordinary person; the sky was a deep colour between the mix of orange and red, with the Sun half way down.

However, on person in particular didn’t find it amazing at all; to him, he had just found it to be normal, although, he had been living on this mountain for a while. The man in question was youngish, about in his mid 20’s, and it was obvious that he had been far from civilisation for a while, due to the messy flop of hair, which was cut at irregular angles. On his body was a pair of dark-blue jeans, accompanied with black trainers. Although to someone else, it was so cold up on the peak of the mountain, they would have to wear multiple layers, but to this man, he was wearing a black t-shirt which was tight on his body, alongside a blue jacket.

Turning away from the sky, he made his way over to a cave, which was about a 5 minute walk, and returned to see a huge group of Pokémon waiting for him, all surrounding a fire. Just looking at his face, they knew something was going to happen, so they all listened patiently.

“It has been 10 years,” The man spoke; his voice was clear yet it sounded like a young teenager. “We have had many adventures when we have been away; some good, some bad, some amazing, some horrifying that we wont be able to forget.” As he said this all the Pokémon were nodding along to what he had to say.

“However, I have decided that it’s time for us to return to everyone. By now, they probably won’t remember us, and that is why now is the right time. We are going back to Pallet; its time to see a new friend again.” He said, and they Pokémon knew that he was finished, and they are shouted in their voices on their agreement, before they started getting ready.

After 5 minutes of gathering everything and putting it away, the young man gathered up his bag, which on inspection had multiple pokeball’s with him, and he returned all of his Pokémon back to their respective pokeball, apart from one; a bird which was waiting by the cave entrance, with it fluttering its wings out and preparing for the flight.

Getting onto it’s back silently, the man uttered 3 words silently. “Pidgeot, Pallet Town”, and with that the bird cried out and took off, flapping it’s wings to gain some altitude, as well as to get away from the mountain. Eventually, the young man decided that it was time, and with a gentle pat on the back, he clung on as the bird began to close in its wings and began to free fall through the sky, gaining so much speed it managed to break the sound barrier,

Due to this quick descent, the pair was at the base of the mountain instantly, and they began to glide through the sky; the evening had turned into a royal blue, and a person on the ground had to use binoculars to actually see the pair in the sky at all.

Pallet Town was the same as it had been when he had last visited; the same small houses, all illuminated with their lights; completely different to goldenrod city. Getting off pidgeot’s back when they arrived outside a certain professors lab, he returned Pidgeot back to his ball and walked up the door and sharply knocked on the door 3 times, before waiting for an answer.

If the night was silent, which it wasn’t due to the chirping of the birds, you would of heard the shuffling of feet and the odd mumble, before the door was swung open by an ageing man, who had more wrinkles on him, alongside tired looking eyes.

“I’m sorry there young man, but I’m not accepting any new trainers at the moment, please come back in the morning.” And with that he began to close the door, but before it was fully shut, a foot was stuck inside, preventing it from shutting.

“I’m not here for a Pokémon Professor” The man said, before he looked up at the man. “I’m here to have a talk with you.”

Looking into the man’s eyes, the professor instantly knew who those eye’s belonged to, and he began to shake uncontrollably.

“No, it can’t be……….” He said, with his words beginning to tail off. “How are you alive? We thought you were dead. Never mind that, come inside” The old man ushered, and the man accepted, before walking in, with the professor looking out to see no one was looking, before closing the door.

“How have you been Ash?”

Other: This is my first Fanfic, so expect it to be quite bad :/
Method of Contact: I would like the beta reader to PM me, and I'll PM them back as well ASAP

Last edited by sheep261; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

I've addeed it into the list, sheep261.

Again if anyone has already found a beta reader/no longer needs one please tell me!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links