Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Brainstorming. What do you think?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old May 2nd, 2010 (10:13 PM).
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote originally posted by Strawbearry_PANDA:
I suppose I wanted it so my OC's parents perhaps preferred her to stay home a bit longer, perhaps her father is a professor (not one as big as Oak/Ivy/Birch/Rowan etc.) and they just wanted her to get a firmer grasp on knowledge. I'll use a general example or two.

Say like you were new to Pokemon games and you got a team of Pokemon, all a different type, and you were battling against your rival, who seems to generally have different types of Pokemon. I'd rather learn the type match-ups ahead of time before battling, so that way I wouldn't, you know, throw a NORMAL type against a GHOST type.
Mmm, you'll want to know that this is actually pretty basic information. Granted, Ash doesn't seem to know about type matchups, but it's generally considered other characters to be one of those things that kids just know. (For example, Misty frequently asked Ash if he wanted her help to defeat Brock in "Showdown at Pewter City." This is because she knew that her Water-type Pokémon could kick Brock's Rock-types all over the place.) Considering you want your character to be the daughter of a professor, that makes it even more likely that she would've been taught about different types unless, for some reason, she happens to be the child of a Pokémon expert and decided to blow them off anyway. (Like Bill.)

Not only that, but since you're looking at a professor or two in the Pokémon world, most likely, they'll be pushing her out the door because most of the adults in that world seem to think that a trainer's journey is an extremely vital part of every child's upbringing. (It's most likely that "you learn more by experience than by books" idea that I've brought up.)

So, it'll take a bit more tweaking in the character department, I think. As a tip, a lot of people seem to try going at it from a government or parental angle. As in, the character is forced to stay at home because the laws are different or because the parents just don't think the character is ready/don't want the character to leave/whatever reason you've got. An-chan gave you a hint for an angle that isn't often taken in her last post. I'd say think about that for a bit if you can't come up with a way to get the parents to keep her at home.

Quote:
What I'm really trying to think of is a solid plot. Not with the Academy, no, but why she sets out on an adventure. Not only to become friendly with Pokemon and catch them all, but what she really wants to do. If she's trying to become a professor, or what. What her biggest dream is... That is still something I haven't thought up completely. Listening to you guys giving your input has helped greatly, so tell me what you think so far and I'll try to flesh it out even more. <;D
Have you thought about maybe making this the plot? Granted, the other posters seemed to think it was a bit weak, but it's all about how you tackle the basic concept.

To be clear, this is what your question is: "I don't know what my character wants to do with her life." Now, this is actually a bit outside of the usual Pokémon OC. You usually have kids starting off on a journey sure of the idea that they want to be a trainer, coordinator, whatever. Your character has no idea or aim.

So, why not make her set out across the land, searching for exactly that? Have her encounter different kinds of people and travel around with different companions to get a good grasp on what the world offers. Heck, if you think she'd want to aim to be a researcher, have her meet a researcher and have them tell her what she needs to do in order to be like them. (Other than, of course, "go through college.")

Sure, your plot might feel a little aimless if it's just about self-discovery, but not every journey fic has to be about a kid going after the (insert number here) (insert badges/ribbons/whatever here) of a region and eventually (insert "saving the world"/"defeating Team Evil"/"competing in the most exciting tournament ever"/whatever here). You could add different things that could make it more coherent once you develop your main character a little more. I'm just saying that you might already have a reasonable skeleton of a plot as it is.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old May 3rd, 2010 (12:02 AM).

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by JX Valentine:
Mmm, you'll want to know that this is actually pretty basic information. Granted, Ash doesn't seem to know about type matchups, but it's generally considered other characters to be one of those things that kids just know. (For example, Misty frequently asked Ash if he wanted her help to defeat Brock in "Showdown at Pewter City." This is because she knew that her Water-type Pokémon could kick Brock's Rock-types all over the place.) Considering you want your character to be the daughter of a professor, that makes it even more likely that she would've been taught about different types unless, for some reason, she happens to be the child of a Pokémon expert and decided to blow them off anyway. (Like Bill.)

Not only that, but since you're looking at a professor or two in the Pokémon world, most likely, they'll be pushing her out the door because most of the adults in that world seem to think that a trainer's journey is an extremely vital part of every child's upbringing. (It's most likely that "you learn more by experience than by books" idea that I've brought up.)

So, it'll take a bit more tweaking in the character department, I think. As a tip, a lot of people seem to try going at it from a government or parental angle. As in, the character is forced to stay at home because the laws are different or because the parents just don't think the character is ready/don't want the character to leave/whatever reason you've got. An-chan gave you a hint for an angle that isn't often taken in her last post. I'd say think about that for a bit if you can't come up with a way to get the parents to keep her at home.

Have you thought about maybe making this the plot? Granted, the other posters seemed to think it was a bit weak, but it's all about how you tackle the basic concept.

To be clear, this is what your question is: "I don't know what my character wants to do with her life." Now, this is actually a bit outside of the usual Pokémon OC. You usually have kids starting off on a journey sure of the idea that they want to be a trainer, coordinator, whatever. Your character has no idea or aim.

So, why not make her set out across the land, searching for exactly that? Have her encounter different kinds of people and travel around with different companions to get a good grasp on what the world offers. Heck, if you think she'd want to aim to be a researcher, have her meet a researcher and have them tell her what she needs to do in order to be like them. (Other than, of course, "go through college.")

Sure, your plot might feel a little aimless if it's just about self-discovery, but not every journey fic has to be about a kid going after the (insert number here) (insert badges/ribbons/whatever here) of a region and eventually (insert "saving the world"/"defeating Team Evil"/"competing in the most exciting tournament ever"/whatever here). You could add different things that could make it more coherent once you develop your main character a little more. I'm just saying that you might already have a reasonable skeleton of a plot as it is.
Well I mean the types was just an example of something, perhaps to show that a slight bit more knowledge can maybe make for better tactics.

I do agree and that's actually a good way of looking at it, Maybe for now it's okay that she doesn't have a direction. I mean, normally (around here at least XD) kids in school don't really know what they want to do just yet. So I guess it'd be good. It kind of reminds me of Tracey. I didn't get the whole story behind him (because at the time I couldn't watch any of the anime anymore and up till now, I just didn't bother to pick back up on it), so correct me if I'm wrong but really it just seemed like he was a tag-along, until he found his place where he wanted to be.

Yeah, it's true, more of what I'm going for is that the parents don't really feel she is ready, for one because of her personality and they hope school and interaction will help open her up and make her a bit....stronger....I guess is an okay word. Also, they'd just prefer she stay home a bit more, perhaps she has a younger sibling she needs to take care of, and by the time she's out of school, the sibling will be old enough to be more on their own. Or perhaps just because her parents aren't ready to let her go just yet, and want to hold onto her a bit more. Perhaps both reasons.
Old May 3rd, 2010 (12:26 AM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Quote originally posted by Strawbearry_PANDA:
It kind of reminds me of Tracey. I didn't get the whole story behind him (because at the time I couldn't watch any of the anime anymore and up till now, I just didn't bother to pick back up on it), so correct me if I'm wrong but really it just seemed like he was a tag-along, until he found his place where he wanted to be.
Even before that boy appeared on the screen, he knew what he was doing. He's a Pokemon Watcher, someone who travels around, observing Pokemon in their natural habitats and drawing pictures and collecting information on them that's published. He decided to follow Ash and Misty around because they knew Professor Oak, and he wanted to meet him.

Maybe that could be an angle you could use with your OC. Pokemon Watchers are fun to write about (I know, since Tracey's a main character of a fic of mine), and they don't follow the basic Pokemon OC starting trainer plot: get badges/save world/win tournament/be home by dinner.

Might be something to think about.

I'd say my piece on the cultural assimilation, but enough has been said on that before.

Sponsored Links