The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Coolboyman
Veteran Hacker

Nature: Bold
The only racist people in this topic are the people who think this topic is racist just because it's a question about black people in Pokemon games. You are judging this topic differently than other topic that don't involve black people. That boys and girls, is racism.

So maybe you should all look at yourselves first before accusing other people of racism just because the topic involves black people.

And Black, colored, African whatever, I'll call them whatever the hell the want, like how anyone can call me white, Italian, or non colored.

Brown:

Prism : - Four Gym Summer 2010 Beta available now!

Twitter
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
DarkAlucard
Seek me. Call me...

Nature: Timid
OMG Super Mario Bros is racist because they don't have any mexican/afro-american/chinese character!!!
Blast haha, Pokemon is based in pokemons not in trainers, or Gold has protect Thyplosion for being attacked with Hydro Pump? The characters are only for the good sake of the games and really doesn't matter if they are from a specify coountry or group of people. Is a game and you should have fun with it, not think of it as a racist game. And yeah, Pokemon doesn't have black people because the programers don't do it, but that fact don't prevent that all people around the world enjoy their adventures with the Pocket Monsters and i think that the problem with Jynx color was stupid, is like if i protest because Ludicolo has a mexican hat
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Calder
Gamertag: LycaNinja

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPVoda View Post
Lol, I use to think so too! But yeah the chances of a black person being in pkmn....ehh slim to zero. Remember Pokemon is from Japan, and there aren't any black people there, nor do I think most Japanese game developers would even put a black person in a game..(well excluding Sazh Katzroy from FFXIII). Though the color..or race of the people in pokemon don't matter to me! I'm black and in the games the player I'm playing doesn't cross my mind that often.. Who knows..maybe there will be a black person in pkmn black :D
Sazh isn't the only Black guy in FF but yeah xD Pokemon White and Black now sound like a fight for slavery or something now thanks to this post xD Pokemon Black would be anti slavery and Pokemon White would be pro slavery xD weird image. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTom View Post
Wow. I didn't have a problem with this thread until I saw that. That is very close to racist.

That's like saying there aren't any Mexican people in England, or that there aren't any Japanese people in Canada.

That is just stupid. The only reason thay haven't put an African American (A term I hope you use more often) is because of the demographics. Most people in Japan are very light skinned just like most people in Canada and America are light skinned. This DOESN'T mean that all people there are like that PiPVoda. And there have been other races in the games (many people in the Sevii Islands were Polynesian-looking).

Anyways, interesting question. If I'm not mistaken there was an episode in the Anime that centered an African American.
Ah. 13 year olds. Always fun. Black is socially acceptable and mostly used. Most Blacks prefer Black to African American actually. There are few Blacks and Mexicans in Japan and a little more Whites than Blacks and Mexicans. Japan surprisingly has more Japanese than anything (Shocker!) If you told me only 2 Black people total live in Japan I wouldn't doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus Secret View Post
Actually, the point the raised is exactly why there are not Black people in Japan. Also, African American doesn't suffice, because there is a difference between that and what would be African Japanese. African American would only be referring to those in "America." Pokemon, however, is produced in Japan, where they don't really have that much black people(if any, really)
Exactly African Americans are Blacks....but not all Blacks are African Americans....Can't put it better than this...

On subject does it really matter what color the skin of the characters are? Ash looks White but is Japanese (Asian), Brock looks Mexican/Black but is Japanese...Their are some that are French and what not I'm guessing they are White...But it doesn't matter really...It would be hard for artist to switch skin colors for every character and not mess something up...Whatever I'm done with this post.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Penumbra
Do you enjoy reading this?

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Wow. I didn't have a problem with this thread until I saw that. That is very close to racist.

That's like saying there aren't any Mexican people in England, or that there aren't any Japanese people in Canada.

That is just stupid. The only reason thay haven't put an African American (A term I hope you use more often) is because of the demographics. Most people in Japan are very light skinned just like most people in Canada and America are light skinned. This DOESN'T mean that all people there are like that PiPVoda. And there have been other races in the games (many people in the Sevii Islands were Polynesian-looking).

Anyways, interesting question. If I'm not mistaken there was an episode in the Anime that centered an African American.
Please define the term racist.

If generalizing a country's population (in terms of colour) is considered racism for you, you're pretty soft. I'm sorry.

A term you hope I'll use more often? No. I'm sorry, black people are black, white people are white, asians are asians, rocks are rocks, grass is green. I'm not going to waste my time, stepping on glass for people who can't accept what they are. If it seems crude, you just have to learn to get over it. It's not like anyone's branding you with any offensive term.

So you're saying, the reason black people aren't in japanese games is because the majority of the population of Japan - where the game was initially directed - were light skinned? First, tell me why they didn't change their minds once they released later versions of Pokemon, knowingly releasing it to other countries of other races. Second, are you implying that just because characters from a game doesn't reflect a certain population, the game is bound for failure?

Polynesian looking? To me they looked like trainers. Seriously, it's a game, stop trying to fan it out to please everyone. There'll always be some bumps, but there'll always be smooth parts. If we can't get over the bumps, we won't have time to enjoy the good part.

Okay cool, so there was an episode of Pokemon with a black person in it. Yay, time to jump for joy! The colour of the person doesn't affect anything.

Quote:
I never said it was racist BleuVII. I said that saying "There are no Black people in Japan" sounded very close to being racist. I have looked it up in the CIA World Factbook, and about 0.5% of the people in Japan are African American. There ARE African Americans in Japan, just like there are Icelandic people in America. In fact I think there are a few Tobians in America too (look it up).

Anyways, this is about the games and Anime. I think the simple reason is because of simple Demographics. There is no sense aiming towards a demographic that isn't your key audience. I'm not saying that Pokemon is not meant for African Americans, but it was originally intended for young Japanese children, and the majority of Japan is Japanese.
Hi I'm McDonalds. My target audience is everyone. Throughout my business, I've noticed certain areas are especially interested in my services. In that case, I'll just cut off every other restaurant in my chain except for the ones in these special areas, because people here love it the most. Tell me, does that statement make sense? You're saying the only reason the creators of the games cram in only Japanese people is because that's where the most economic success lies, and it's what their audience can relate to?

It may have initially been intended for Japanese children, but it's pretty damn clear that Pokemon is worldwide. With this, they obviously have the knowledge of other races playing their Japanese-oriented games.

Stop trying to fluff it up, saying the reason they don't include certain races is because Japan is where it counts the most.

Quote:
Firstly, I know it's not a big deal but can we call them Black or something like that? I understand if you have a friend and you refer to them as "African American" (like in Teletubbies) but we are talking about a Game.

Secondly, Jolene that statistic is accurate and what you just said was a bit silly. That's like saying because they moved to America from Mexico that there are no Mexicans in America. There are plenty of African Americans who moved to Japan from where ever, and had children who would then be official Japanese citizens.

I've seen Black people portrayed in Manga and Anime before (If I'm not mistaken there is a character from Hinata Hotel who is Black). I am almost positive there are a few episodes in the Pokemon Anime with that demographic. My note: Stop taking notice of such insignificant trivia. You really must have time to go out of your way, just to research whether Japanese people use a brown pencil crayon once in a while.

EDIT: I just saw your post Porygon-Z and I have to agree. They aren't meant to be Caucasian, but Asian. The fact of the matter is there are very few Black people in Japan, so they are going to show very few in the Pokemon series. Said and Done.
Bolded and corrected your mistakes. Stop referring to all black people as "African American". First of all, not everyone is from America. Second of all, not every person of colour emigrated from Africa.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
*Charizard*
Velocity

The pokemon creators are racist!!!!!!!

CLICK THE POKEMON EGGS PLEASE!

GPXPLUS PARTY PAGE
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Coolboyman
Veteran Hacker

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Charizard* View Post
The pokemon creators are racist!!!!!!!
This Charizard below doesn't agree with you.

Brown:

Prism : - Four Gym Summer 2010 Beta available now!

Twitter
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Johtomasterandlover
I´m the best of Johto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAlucard View Post
OMG Super Mario Bros is racist because they don't have any mexican/afro-american/chinese character!!!
Blast haha, Pokemon is based in pokemons not in trainers, or Gold has protect Thyplosion for being attacked with Hydro Pump? The characters are only for the good sake of the games and really doesn't matter if they are from a specify coountry or group of people. Is a game and you should have fun with it, not think of it as a racist game. And yeah, Pokemon doesn't have black people because the programers don't do it, but that fact don't prevent that all people around the world enjoy their adventures with the Pocket Monsters and i think that the problem with Jynx color was stupid, is like if i protest because Ludicolo has a mexican hat

Count my signature there!
the jynx problem was FAR MORE than just stupid
Y´see im Brazilian and I COULD NOT WATCH THE EPISODE WHERE BROCK IS KISSED BY A JYNX.......................I wish i could have the pleasure of laughting out loud out of that one, just to imagine....

BUT just think, the guy i just mentioned has in fact a little difference in ethnicity
Brock i mean, and just for the record, He´s a frickin´ gym leader OF KANTO aaaaand has an important part in both Red/Green/Blue/Yellow Gold/Silver/Crystal arc manga volumes and the anime itself, in wich he is one of the main caracters.

Look! I´ve got a Jar of Dirt!See?Isn´t it Pretty?
:3
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I Laugh at your Misfortune!
Normal is a synonym for boring

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post

You, sir, are win.

I'd like to raise the point that, as the Pokémon world is fictional, it is perfectly possible that there is a different amount of diversity in skin colour. Hell, if you can have giant, fire breathing lizards, why is "no people of a particular racial origin" so unlikely?
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Johtomasterandlover
I´m the best of Johto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post

And That´s Today´s Double Win!!!!
Coming Next in Fail Sportz....

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
DarkAlucard
Seek me. Call me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johtomasterandlover View Post
Count my signature there!
the jynx problem was FAR MORE than just stupid
Y´see im Brazilian and I COULD NOT WATCH THE EPISODE WHERE BROCK IS KISSED BY A JYNX.......................I wish i could have the pleasure of laughting out loud out of that one, just to imagine....

BUT just think, the guy i just mentioned has in fact a little difference in ethnicity
Brock i mean, and just for the record, He´s a frickin´ gym leader OF KANTO aaaaand has an important part in both Red/Green/Blue/Yellow Gold/Silver/Crystal arc manga volumes and the anime itself, in wich he is one of the main caracters.
I'm mexican but my skin tone is white, and because i'm not like all mexican stereotypes (more-like-brown-skin-tone) all call me "gringo or guero" (words here in Mexico to refer the people in USA). But i don't feel discriminated, i think that all has to be with the person himself, we come in all tones of colors and i don't discriminate anyone (i've a lot of friends and we never discusses about etnicies) but if you can laugh of yourself (i'm white so always i say that i'm a vampire with anemia haha) then you're lost, when Ludicolo comes in R/S/E all my friends say: What!!! They're making fun of us, a pokemon like a mexican dude come on. I, really laugh at it and say: Ey, a Mariachi Pokemon haha, that's the reason i think Jynx color was irrelevant, what's the problem for being black? I think that that's not a offense to anybody (of course, if you accept yourself).
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Johtomasterandlover
I´m the best of Johto

Quote:
I'm mexican but my skin tone is white, and because i'm not like all mexican stereotypes (more-like-brown-skin-tone) all call me "gringo or guero" (words here in Mexico to refer the people in USA). But i don't feel discriminated, i think that all has to be with the person himself, we come in all tones of colors and i don't discriminate anyone (i've a lot of friends and we never discusses about etnicies) but if you can laugh of yourself (i'm white so always i say that i'm a vampire with anemia haha) then you're lost, when Ludicolo comes in R/S/E all my friends say: What!!! They're making fun of us, a pokemon like a mexican dude come on. I, really laugh at it and say: Ey, a Mariachi Pokemon haha, that's the reason i think Jynx color was irrelevant, what's the problem for being black? I think that that's not a offense to anybody (of course, if you accept yourself).
I agree into that, the thing is not everyone is like us,but seriously, if when i laught out of myself i get lost then throw me to the Lost Island coz i simply can´t be more lost than i am now.

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
DarkAlucard
Seek me. Call me...

Quote:
I agree into that, the thing is not everyone is like us,but seriously, if when i laught out of myself i get lost then throw me to the Lost Island coz i simply can´t be more lost than i am now.
I'm wrong haha it was but if you can't laugh of yourself, sorry. And yeha, i hope someday all of us can accept what we are and live happy n_n
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Johtomasterandlover
I´m the best of Johto

Quote:
I'm wrong haha it was but if you can't laugh of yourself, sorry. And yeha, i hope someday all of us can accept what we are and live happy n_n
So......( IM JUST DYING TO ASK )
What´s Mexico like?
Im planning to go over here( here i mean for you in location )someday

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
DarkAlucard
Seek me. Call me...

Quote:
So......( IM JUST DYING TO ASK )
What´s Mexico like?
Im planning to go over here( here i mean for you in location )someday
The true is that is BEATIFUL!!! And not because i'm from here, really is a beauty of country (same as yours, i've plans to go for the Olympic games in 2016) but is a little bit unsecure, too much thiefs haha. In the other side my state is a complety mess (a lot of people killed by shots, drug carters, whatever) but is a beauty too. I recomend that you come, you'll not regret but be careful (if you're gonna be to a beach, is a little more secure) =)
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
There have been Black People in Pokemon. Dahila or whatever her name is, she is black. SOme people say Spencer from The hoenn Battle Frontier is but not too much.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
SuperLightning
Eevee Lover and Trainer

Black people in pokemon eh? sounds interesting, but there is still little chance of that.
anyway, i used to think dhalia was black, but she was named after a flower, that only/mostly grows in hispanic countries, so shes hispanic. When i was a little little kid i thought brock was black lolwut.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
rockman0
I still claim Luxray!

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to rockman0 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman0
I would love to see black characters in the anime and games. However, I'm not gonna stop playing, nor do I have a problem with the games because there are not any black characters in it.

Also, I agree with it being kind of hard to create a black character. I've tried many times to create a black character for my avatar but it never quite looked right. Not that I'm comparing myself to the guys at Game Freak but...

Maybe some day we will. Maybe that will be one of the ways that BW revolutionizes the series. IDK...

"From now on, live in the past, and fight for the future."
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM
SuperLightning
Eevee Lover and Trainer

Japan just needs to realize that fuller lips doesn't mean giant blow up rafts to swim with.
come to think of it are there any asian characters in pokemon? i don't see any slanted/thinner eyes....

and honestly, finding a black person in japan is as hard as finding a shiny pokemon i would imagine.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Angelroid
Mud Attack!

Everyone in Pokemon is mostly White or Asian.

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
BleuVII
Trainer

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLightning View Post
and honestly, finding a black person in japan is as hard as finding a shiny pokemon i would imagine.
LOL! Not quite THAT hard, but I like that quote. It's about as rare as finding a Yanma or Snubbul without a swarm.

Also, Koolboyman, you win this thread.

My showcase thread, featuring Fakemon (like a Pachirisu evolution and Legendary Unown), new types (Light
and Glass), and new items.

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
mew²
Helix 4 President!

Nature: Quiet
Just like to state this because I forgot to put it in my first post.
4Kids would dub it and make the person white.
So there might be African cultures, but 4kids... Darn them...

Pokemon X - Ricky `~`
FC: 4871 4170 6707
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sesshomaruv2
Beginning Trainer

LMAO! This thread is mad funny! I always said some anime's were racist like why the hell did they invent jinx? All black, fat lips? really? Thats almost as bad as Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z. I understand the all black part...but the LIPS!!!!
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM
rockman0
I still claim Luxray!

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to rockman0 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshomaruv2 View Post
LMAO! This thread is mad funny! I always said some anime's were racist like why the hell did they invent jinx? All black, fat lips? really? Thats almost as bad as Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z. I understand the all black part...but the LIPS!!!!
I understand why Jynx was considered racist because of the lips and the hair and the skin and stuff but I (and I'll probably be shot, flamed, insulted and everything else that can be done on a forum for typing this, but) I honestly didn't think it was meant to portray a black woman.

"From now on, live in the past, and fight for the future."
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
^ It was based on some sort of dancer.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
ChrisTom
With all regards,

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Sadly, you're right.
Well I don't think that you should-

Wait a minute...

You agreed with me! Praise the lord! It's a miraculous sign from heavens! PiPVoda actually agreed with me. A new era of prosperity will arise!

JK, it's just you were seeming a bit stubborn before.

Secondly Koolboyman, you are epic win.

Thirdly, I never thought about that before poster whose name I can't remember. We have found an African American in Pokemon everybody! I am pretty sure of it anyways:

Arcade Star Dahlia. Of course she could be Indian (India Indian, not Native American Indian)...

EDIT: Now that I think about it she also looks very Hispanic... Nevermind then I guess...
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links