The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Hey guys, got news for all the Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem fans, I'm making a Pokemon SRPG version, Online.

The game has been under development for a month or two, and we're about 90% done with the battle system, so some heavy testing will be done soon to make sure it's 100% glitch free.

These is an in game screenshot of the game itself running.

As you can see the Sprites are from Pokemon Ranger, because of their Iso shape they fit right in, the tiling and turfing and attack animation have been done by yours truly - although some need work.

This game will also be hosted over Byond, I know many of you may dislike the idea - and so do I, but this is due to the fact that as a fan game going online we cannot afford to pay for an individual host, and at the same time protect ourselves from warnings from Nintendo, and byond does take care of both for us so for now we'll stick with them.

I'll post more info on the game later! stay in touch, if you've got any questions or think you could contribute to the project PM me, i'll be sure to respond soon.

~ Crow

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Nature: Jolly
Yay! 1st to post! (that rymes) anyways, I'm guessing you're using BYOND to make that. Good luck, hope you perfect it!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Aureol
Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast

Nature: Modest
Wow, this looks interesting. Good luck!
I believe in God, I am a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am a "Mormon" (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). If you ever want to learn about Mormonism, feel free to PM me or go to the official website (mormon.org).
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM
infinity+1
Beginning Trainer

Cool game, looks intersting, I'll definitly check back on it
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Gigatom~
Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~

Good luck with this, looks really good.

Gigatom~

Check out my deviantArt! :3
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Thanks guys, appreciate the support. I was expecting alot of "byond-hating" comments haha.

Here's a mock of what we expect the end product should somewhat be close to.

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM
RMXPUser462
Just call me Ryan

Nature: Adamant
Looks very, very cool :)

I attempted to try a Pokemon SRPG once, but failed miserably. However, this looks much better than what I was capable of developing. Bravo

And in regards to beyond, we can't really complain. You could just say "it's beyond or no game at all" and I'm sure everyone would be okay with beyond then :P

Pokemon Dark, come join us today!

Pokemon Dark is currently looking to hire...

Spriter(s)
Overworld Spriter(s)
Storyboard Editor(s)
Mapper(s)
Supporters!!

If you have any other talents, and would like to help out, just PM me!
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

I'm not entirely sure what an SRPG is (is it like AOM or AOE age of mythology and empires?) but this looks pretty awesome. good luck
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

It's basically Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem, but for Pokemon.

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

Nature: Jolly
It's nice to see someone actually making a Pokemon srpg. I've always been a fan of fire emblem and Final fantasy tactics advance.

I got one question though, how will new pokemon be recruited?
Will they ask to join your team after the batlle? (like in FFTA), Or do you have to recruit them by talking to them? ( like in FE)

I'm really looking forward to play this game, keep it up!
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Well Arma, the way it'll be is you'll party with other people (Pokemons) and play through a vast amount of dungeons and stories along with other mini quests along the way. So to answer your question, you will only be controlling one pokemon - yourself.

New screenshots to come soon~

Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Tranitar
Working on Pokémon Wraith

Nature: Calm
This looks awesome, And i dont think this is being "wanted to shut down the thread" because i think its a week since the last post?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

One question, what language are you using to develop this?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Raikt
Fiction writer.

Send a message via Yahoo to Raikt
No offense, but this sounds very similar to Mystery Dungeon already. How are you going to differentiate yourself from that franchise?

Like I said, no offense, but I'd like to see this succeed (I love Fire Emblem), so I'm curious as to how you are going to go about things differently.

Old May 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
One question, what language are you using to develop this?

We're using Byonds coding language which I believe is a variation of C+++.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikt View Post
No offense, but this sounds very similar to Mystery Dungeon already. How are you going to differentiate yourself from that franchise?

Like I said, no offense, but I'd like to see this succeed (I love Fire Emblem), so I'm curious as to how you are going to go about things differently.
Well Mystery Dungeon is played through Dungeon levels - while this game you explore as a region all together. Fight mechanics resemble more to that of the original RPG also, and we have implemented our own touch that I will soon show with new Screenshots. The two games could be broadly categorized in the same genre, but this game holds much more aspect as for the Online capabilities and the multiplayer point of view we tend to focus on, giving it a brand new feel from it's own angle in Pokemon.

I hope I answered your question, and here is a screenshot from the development we've had in the past week.

We'll be testing soon, closed beta that is - very soon.

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Raikt
Fiction writer.

Send a message via Yahoo to Raikt
That does answer my question. Good luck with the game.

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Update

We'll probably be hosting a small closed beta this weekend, and if it runs well, we'll keep the servers up for you guys to enjoy a bit longer.

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
davidthefat
I Love C++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post
We're using Byonds coding language which I believe is a variation of C+++.

Tons of languages are "variations" of C++ if your definition is that loose... I really don't like these languages, they are way too highleveled to even teach you programming very well. They are great for teaching you how to make a game, but not how to program a game like a programmer, there is a HUGE difference, if you been in my shoes, you will understand
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

would you only be able to be one poke through the whole game? and would there be quests and such and a story?
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Liraxus
Local Douchebag

This actually isn't half bad looking, seems effective and the sprites must have tooken a while to make. As long as it dosen't need Download i will be very happy to sign up and play it.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Gregora
Trainer

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Gregora Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gregora Send a message via Yahoo to Gregora
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Beautiful screenshots btw. Good luck on your project.

Click here to see my current RMXP project!
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM
Mr.Crowley
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemongarnet View Post
would you only be able to be one poke through the whole game? and would there be quests and such and a story?
You start out as a baby, but you're given another Character slot - that one can be any Pokemon you find an egg for - and hatch.

As for the Story, we aren't sure yet - but it will revolve heavily around the mysterious Unknowns (Hence the single letter in the title).

Also, it technically is a download, because you have to install Byond to play it - it's our provider.

Except for the Pokemon Sprites - everything is made by me from scratch (the tiles, the objects, the attacks etc).

UPDATE: It was hosted yesterday, and I got a little screenshot. The blurriness is due to me liking to play on zoom x4 lol.

I'll be nice and show a second one c:

As of right now, the game is fully playable Online - but only the first Island is available. If we can find a good enough 24/7 host - I'll make it Closed Beta for selective people to enjoy for about a week or two, and take it from there.

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:34 AM
Rexo
Rexo

Nature: Relaxed
Pretty nice game, I think. Good luck with it. Looking forward to the playable online game.
See ya!

Old May 31st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Liraxus
Local Douchebag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post
You start out as a baby, but you're given another Character slot - that one can be any Pokemon you find an egg for - and hatch.

As for the Story, we aren't sure yet - but it will revolve heavily around the mysterious Unknowns (Hence the single letter in the title).

Also, it technically is a download, because you have to install Byond to play it - it's our provider.

Except for the Pokemon Sprites - everything is made by me from scratch (the tiles, the objects, the attacks etc).

UPDATE: It was hosted yesterday, and I got a little screenshot. The blurriness is due to me liking to play on zoom x4 lol.

I'll be nice and show a second one c:

As of right now, the game is fully playable Online - but only the first Island is available. If we can find a good enough 24/7 host - I'll make it Closed Beta for selective people to enjoy for about a week or two, and take it from there.
1-Does it need Download?
2-If it dosen't, can i have the link to it? (Forgive me if your posted it, i guess i didn't see it.)
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
JakeG
Pokemon Awakening-Coming Soon!

Nature: Brave
Wow this looks awesome and I'm on BYOND so I will check it out now!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links