The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #14651    
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
colcolstyles's Avatar
colcolstyles
Yours truly
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Bay Area
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick942 View Post
Pokeballs that disappear and how do you choose what items inside of it
Download XSE and when you have it open, click on Help > Guide (F2) in the top bar. Expand the directory called "XSE - Comprehensive Scripting Guide", then expand "Practical Classroom", and finally open the page titled "Items". There's a lot of good information there about item scripts, including a section dedicated to item-giving Pokéballs not halfway down the page. No offense to Team Fail but the method described in that section is much less complex than his and it will take up much, much less space in your ROM.

Also, before you skip directly to the "Nintendo Pokéball Styled Items" section, I would recommend reading the entire Items section first. Heck, you might as well read the entire guide. It's a fine way to learn how to script.
__________________

Brother of Vrai
  #14652    
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
PeregrineFig's Avatar
PeregrineFig
Starting Pokémon Obsidian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan, USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
I made my ASM code work, but it uses 4 registers instead of 2. So, I was wondering if anyone knows a good ASM tutorial document for Pokemon hacking, not general development. HackMew's only has one real lesson in it, and it left a few holes in my understanding. (Although I hope he updates it, as HackMew has written some fantastic routines)
__________________
Current Projects:
POKéMON AQUA SAPPHIRE
POKéMON OBSIDIAN

  #14653    
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
colcolstyles's Avatar
colcolstyles
Yours truly
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Bay Area
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFig View Post
I made my ASM code work, but it uses 4 registers instead of 2. So, I was wondering if anyone knows a good ASM tutorial document for Pokemon hacking, not general development. HackMew's only has one real lesson in it, and it left a few holes in my understanding. (Although I hope he updates it, as HackMew has written some fantastic routines)
I recommend JPAN's tutorial. It's got some broad information on ASM that doesn't apply only to Pokémon.
__________________

Brother of Vrai
  #14654    
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM
stanemac12
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
In my hack, whenever I try and access an exp.share item in my inventory, the game crashes. Everything else in the hack works fine except this. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

EDIT: After tying to check the item out in an item editing program, that program also crashes. It works for every other item but the exp.share.

Last edited by stanemac12; May 16th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
  #14655    
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
PeregrineFig's Avatar
PeregrineFig
Starting Pokémon Obsidian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan, USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanemac12 View Post
In my hack, whenever I try and access an exp.share item in my inventory, the game crashes. Everything else in the hack works fine except this. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

EDIT: After tying to check the item out in an item editing program, that program also crashes. It works for every other item but the exp.share.
A piece of data was corrupted in the exp share's code. Basically, your options are to not use the Exp Share, or restart your hack. A better way, though, is to look at the Exp Share in a clean ROM, write down ALL the information (names, numbers, offsets) except for description, you have to manually retype that and put it on a new offset, then copy all that into one of the ???s in your hack and use that index number instead. It's possible the ASM code for the item has a mechanism to check the index number, though, and if that's the case you'll have to resort to one of the first two things I mentioned.
__________________
Current Projects:
POKéMON AQUA SAPPHIRE
POKéMON OBSIDIAN


Last edited by PeregrineFig; May 16th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
  #14656    
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
Download XSE and when you have it open, click on Help > Guide (F2) in the top bar. Expand the directory called "XSE - Comprehensive Scripting Guide", then expand "Practical Classroom", and finally open the page titled "Items". There's a lot of good information there about item scripts, including a section dedicated to item-giving Pokéballs not halfway down the page. No offense to Team Fail but the method described in that section is much less complex than his and it will take up much, much less space in your ROM.

Also, before you skip directly to the "Nintendo Pokéball Styled Items" section, I would recommend reading the entire Items section first. Heck, you might as well read the entire guide. It's a fine way to learn how to script.
None Taken. It's just my style of scripting. I'm trying, but failing, at how to use XSE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanemac12 View Post
In my hack, whenever I try and access an exp.share item in my inventory, the game crashes. Everything else in the hack works fine except this. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

EDIT: After tying to check the item out in an item editing program, that program also crashes. It works for every other item but the exp.share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFig View Post
A piece of data was corrupted in the exp share's code. Basically, your options are to not use the Exp Share, or restart your hack. A better way, though, is to look at the Exp Share in a clean ROM, right down ALL the information (names, numbers, offsets) except for description, you have to manually retype that and put it on a new offset, then copy all that into one of the ???s in your hack and use that index number instead. It's possible the ASM code for the item has a mechanism to check the index number, though, and if that's the case you'll have to resort to one of the first two things I mentioned.
I was thinking that. That's all I can say.
__________________

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman



[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
  #14657    
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Esmas
General
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
I've searched quite a bit and simply cannot find the answer to my questions.
1) I've inserted a new Pokémon from scratch and I would like to edit the Pokédex data. YAPE doesn't let me do so; it only lets me edit existing Pokédex data. I know it has something to do with finding free space and repointing the Pokémon's data to the Pokédex, but I'd like to know exactly how to do it.
2) I'm using Poké Edit Pro and I want to insert a new attack to my new Pokémon, or Insert New Table. What do I put in the Start Offset area? Or would I leave it the way it is?
__________________
SoulSilver Friend Code: 3696 3852 0232
  #14658    
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Shiny Quagsire's Avatar
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hoenn Safari Zone
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmas View Post
I've searched quite a bit and simply cannot find the answer to my questions.
1) I've inserted a new Pokémon from scratch and I would like to edit the Pokédex data. YAPE doesn't let me do so; it only lets me edit existing Pokédex data. I know it has something to do with finding free space and repointing the Pokémon's data to the Pokédex, but I'd like to know exactly how to do it.
2) I'm using Poké Edit Pro and I want to insert a new attack to my new Pokémon, or Insert New Table. What do I put in the Start Offset area? Or would I leave it the way it is?
1.)You can't have any new entries. Just replace it's number with another's.

2.)Most free space finding applications start at offset 0x800000. I'd start there.
__________________



  #14659    
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
adhdguitar's Avatar
adhdguitar
Newbie Pokémon Hacker
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Is there any way to edit trainers?
__________________


Yellow: Complete
Crystal:
Complete
Sapphire: Not Started
Cherrim: Not Started
  #14660    
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Chikane
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Female
1. Can I have different palletes depending on which map I am?
(Going trough a cave to end up in a autumn place thing e.g.)

2. How do I edit the townmap?
(BG and FG?)

3. Are there any events that have to stay in the game in order to make sure I don't screw up later on?
  #14661    
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Xephyr's Avatar
Xephyr
Smoochum
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 20
Gender: Male
This should be a pretty simple question, but in Firered, does anyone know how I could possibly make the player start out with the National Dex?
  #14662    
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Shiny Quagsire's Avatar
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hoenn Safari Zone
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdguitar View Post
Is there any way to edit trainers?
Use hackmew's advanced trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephyr View Post
This should be a pretty simple question, but in Firered, does anyone know how I could possibly make the player start out with the National Dex?
I'm sure it's a variable to be set. Figure out the variable and set it in a script.
__________________



  #14663    
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Koopaking
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
okay so, i a newbie at this, but i REALLY need a program to hack the pokemon text. Advanced-text simply wont work on my computer and ive tried downloading the required .dll files and all that nonsense.(I did it on a second computer and it still did not work) but anyway, what programs can I use to edit the text in pokemon firered BESIDES advanced text and thingy32(that didnt work ethier).

NVM, figured it out

Last edited by Koopaking; May 18th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
  #14664    
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM
altariaking's Avatar
altariaking
Needs NO VMs...
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Scotland, Lesmahagow
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
what is teh flower animation offset for emerald?
__________________
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=253113
  #14665    
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Metroid Die
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Hey, I have a question about sprite and player movement. I want my sprite to walk through a door and my player to follow. How do I get the sprite and player through a specific door? I've tried walking upwards but instead of opening the door and going in, the sprite and player just walk over the tile.

Could someone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance
  #14666    
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Sawakita's Avatar
Sawakita
Not Invented Here
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Hi everybody! I've been searching for this about two days so don't get angry if my question has already been answered, 'cause i couldn't really find it..
How can I add and change sprites of pokemon (the compressed ones, like in-battle, front and back, pokedex), in rbgy version (old gameboy!!)? If the solution involves ASM is it there a tutorial?
  #14667    
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
bowties are cool
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philippines
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post
Hi everybody! I've been searching for this about two days so don't get angry if my question has already been answered, 'cause i couldn't really find it..
How can I add and change sprites of pokemon (the compressed ones, like in-battle, front and back, pokedex), in rbgy version (old gameboy!!)? If the solution involves ASM is it there a tutorial?
There's a tool called AGIXP, I don't know if it supports R/B/Y but its better if you go check. There's a link on WAH.
  #14668    
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Tropical Sunlight's Avatar
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Slovenia
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid Die View Post
Hey, I have a question about sprite and player movement. I want my sprite to walk through a door and my player to follow. How do I get the sprite and player through a specific door? I've tried walking upwards but instead of opening the door and going in, the sprite and player just walk over the tile.

Could someone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance
There is a special XSE command for opening&closing door animations.

Use it like this:
Quote:
...
setdooropened 0x(X pos) 0x(Y pos)
doorchange
...
setdoorclosed 0x(X pos) 0x(Y pos)
doorchange
...
Hope this helps!
__________________
  #14669    
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Sawakita's Avatar
Sawakita
Not Invented Here
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
There's a tool called AGIXP, I don't know if it supports R/B/Y but its better if you go check. There's a link on WAH.
I've already tried it but unfortunately it doesn't work with R/B/Y..

Last edited by Sawakita; May 31st, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
  #14670    
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Chikane
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikane View Post
1. Can I have different palletes depending on which map I am?
(Going trough a cave to end up in a autumn place thing e.g.)

2. How do I edit the townmap?
(BG and FG?)

3. Are there any events that have to stay in the game in order to make sure I don't screw up later on?
Never mind question 2.
But I really do wanna know the first one however.
  #14671    
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Nickamina's Avatar
Nickamina
Veteran Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England
Gender: Male
I have a question. There is most probably an obvious answer but I couldn't find it anywhere; apologies if this is idiotic.

I'm hacking LeafGreen.
As part of a script I want the character being talked to, to ask me to save my game before I continue (e.g. used by pokemon centers, daycare couple, start menu).

How would I do this in PKSV?
[A good example of kind of what I mean is the dialogue used by the woman behind the counter in Trainer House (G/S/C) before you continue into the arena.]

Thanks in advance.
  #14672    
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
rockman0's Avatar
rockman0
I still claim Luxray!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: at home
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to rockman0 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman0
Hello all. I am working on a ROM hack and need help with something. I edited some of the events in the Pokemon league for Fire Red. I wanted to know how I can go to that part without playing through the entire game. I'm too lazy to do that. Please help. I basically want to debug, so to speak, to make sure it runs the way I want.

Thanks!
__________________


"From now on, live in the past, and fight for the future."
  #14673    
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Binary's Avatar
Binary
え?
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 19
@rockman0:
Use AR codes. You could use the 'walk through walls' code or a warp code.
__________________
  #14674    
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Koopaking
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
okay, this is driving me CRAZY. i want to add more signs to my towns. I can do that, the problem is how to get them into advanced text so i can write what they say. can anybody help?
  #14675    
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
rockman0's Avatar
rockman0
I still claim Luxray!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: at home
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to rockman0 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary View Post
@rockman0:
Use AR codes. You could use the 'walk through walls' code or a warp code.
I kind of figured that was what I was supposed to do. But I can't find any "warp codes." I did find a "walk through walls" code though. Guess I'll have to use that. Any ideas where a warp code can be found?
__________________


"From now on, live in the past, and fight for the future."
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.