The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

If this is 600 years ago...your gonna keep the pokemon of today?
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
EJames2100
Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter

Send a message via AIM to EJames2100 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EJames2100 Send a message via Skype™ to EJames2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
Why not ?
Pokémon wouldn't be changed would they ? Well besides evolving lol
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames2100 View Post
Why not ?
Pokémon wouldn't be changed would they ? Well besides evolving lol

If Aerodactyl and them were prehistoric Pokemon, why shouldn't they?
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
EJames2100
Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter

Send a message via AIM to EJames2100 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EJames2100 Send a message via Skype™ to EJames2100
Depends how the Pokémon world sees as Prehistoric lol

But a good point actually, would we be seeing more new ancient Pokémon ?
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Well nothing new, the first post say no Fakemon
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
i knew i should have clarified. lol.
I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
get it now???

And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Quote:
Where there's a fight, there's a moose.
Moose you seem to make the biggest things out of nothing, all the time.
You like to start fights i noticed, as well as other people.
Tell me again, why is the game posted on the site?
"oh blazers i don't know, so people can look at it?" Wrong
Some people will like it, some people wont.
But most importantly you have to see that people are trying to help you.
I don't know if you are sure of the meaning of, Critiscm.
But look it up some time.

As for this game.
I also do not like the default style of the tiles.
But since you already did begin the game this way, considering how far into it you are, it would take a lot of time to re-do it.
So if your that far, keep it.
So no poke balls? Will there be a craftsmaker like Kurt that will turn them into poke balls for you, or will you do it yourself?
The Kurt thing is in the works. That's all I will say for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
The ranger and mystery dungeon tiles won't go very well with this game. Neither will the actual sprites. I highly suggest that you get some different tiles. (and no, i dont mean kyledoves, i agree that their overused) Perhaps try and look for some different games that have a rustic, yet easy to imitate style. That way you don;t use the default tile, but their still different. Maybe start ripping from mystery dungeon and ranger?
We wouldn't just slap on tiles from other games. We would tweak them to match the visual style.

Quote:
Yeah, not much has changed in 600 years. Remember, this is 600, not 6,000,000.

Quote:
Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff
Fossil resurrection technology has not been invented yet, so no fossil Pokémon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
i knew i should have clarified. lol.
I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
get it now???

And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.
Earlier versions? We've considered it, but the Pokémon won't look that much different because 600 years isn't that far back in the evolutionary line.
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Posted originally by InMooseWeTrust

*sigh*...
1. Because this game takes place so far back in time, we're trying to create the feel of a classical RPG while still retaining the qualities of a Pokémon game. I think fangame developers are too fixated on the graphics of the Version games to try different aesthetic and gameplay styles. Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games turned the ideas of traditional Pokémon games on their heads. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! I actually had more fun with the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games than I did with the Version games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's no doubt that we're going to attract a different audience than most of the other fangames in this forum.
2. Two different graphics styles? That would be a colossal waste of labor and time. We're only two people (the staff will continue to stay relatively small into the future) and the game is pretty small in scope, so we don't want to create too much work for ourselves.
3. Why Kyledove tileset? The vast majority of game developers in this forum think that's the only acceptable visual style that can ever be used in a Pokémon game.

Calm down,I'm just sharing my opinion.Kyledove dose, in fact ,have a tile set focusing on ancient towns.Making two versions wouldn't be that hard,you just have to switch the tile set in the second version and proceed to map touch-up.Also,retaining the feel of a Pokemon game isn't easy to do when the graphics belong to the Final Fantasy style.

Don't worry.I'm not bashing you're game.I do respect it.Some people might actually like it.Just please make sure you finish the project.Most projects are completely left behind only to make fans angry.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.

Last edited by InMooseWeTrust; August 9th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.
Understood.I also am working on a project with just me and my cousin,so I know how troublesome it can be to finally release the project.Mine has been going on for about three years now.The first year was terrible.Making several maps then,all of a sudden,my PC crashed and we lost every bit of it.But we restarted the project and the maps look even better than before.Now the story line and making trainers is all that's left.For our first project,I hope it works out.Good luck with your game.
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Trikeboy
Mime Jr.

Originally Posted by pkmn.master View Post
Understood.I also am working on a project with just me and my cousin,so I know how troublesome it can be to finally release the project.Mine has been going on for about three years now.The first year was terrible.Making several maps then,all of a sudden,my PC crashed and we lost every bit of it.But we restarted the project and the maps look even better than before.Now the story line and making trainers is all that's left.For our first project,I hope it works out.Good luck with your game.
That sux about losing your work but always look for the silver lining. I am making regular backups every weekend and after any substantial improvement ie my recent Poképad update. Making trainers are probably the most boring thing about creating a Pokémon game. It took me a few of days to put the small number of trainers that you encounter. I wanted to have more in indigo town but I was losing the will to live so left them out.
I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
xSeduction
Water Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to xSeduction
I loveee this game, and I think the graphics are very original and quite amazing contrary to popular belief. Not every Pokemon game has to have the same graphics.
Also, I had a bit of deja vu when seeing your whole wild pokemon idea. Years ago, I'd thought "It would be so much easier if you could actually see the pokemon in the wild." Kudos for that.

However, I did get a scripting error that shut down the game when speaking to a trainer in the Viridian Forest. I can't remember which one, though. :\

Kudos to my bestie Paige for making me this siggy.<3 ilabyou.
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naive
I gotta say the graphics look really similar to Aveyond 2. Even the victory music is the same and the way you encounter enemies.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891

Last edited by Wings Don't Cry; August 16th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeduction View Post
I loveee this game, and I think the graphics are very original and quite amazing contrary to popular belief. Not every Pokemon game has to have the same graphics.
Also, I had a bit of deja vu when seeing your whole wild pokemon idea. Years ago, I'd thought "It would be so much easier if you could actually see the pokemon in the wild." Kudos for that.

However, I did get a scripting error that shut down the game when speaking to a trainer in the Viridian Forest. I can't remember which one, though. :\
Several people have reported that error. I'm not sure if Trikeboy has fixed it or not, but I will look into it when I have some free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikudaman View Post
I gotta say the graphics look really similar to Aveyond 2. Even the victory music is the same and the way you encounter enemies.
I think that's because we're still using mostly RMXP default content. It'll change, don't worry.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Trikeboy
Mime Jr.

Originally Posted by xSeduction View Post
I have checked through Viridian Forest and cant find the error. Are you using version 1.2? There was an error in a trainer code that I fixed for that version.
I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Pika Storm
learning to script

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via AIM to Pika Storm
this game looks awsome \m/

I for one think that the tileset looks great

keep up the good work
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
1ninjadude1701

Nature: Quiet
where do you get the ow sprites?
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:25 AM
hack1
Dragon Green

Download link for newest version doesn't work.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Savant

Maybe it's because, oh I don't know, the thread is ALMOST A YEAR OLD?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links