• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What's Your Rival's name?

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
Years
My rival, huh? At first (Yellow to Ruby) I called him Gary after the Ash's rival in the Anime. But in Pearl and Platinum, I changed it to Thomas. But in SS I called him Spencer, which is what I'll probably call him in B/W. But I might change it like I have done. I'll just have to wait and see.

Numbers

Say my name
Years
I'll either just keep the default name, or name him/her after... well I guess if it's a girl I can't name it after my brother haha. If it's a guy I'll name him after my brother, if it's a girl I'll name her Emma.

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
Years
In HG mine's name is Johnny. It seems every dangerous man is named Johnny(ex. Jack Torrance in The Shining). The G/S, HG/SS rival is by far my favorite out of all the games' rivals.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I don't know yet, since we have yet to see the rival's design, and if they are a boy or a girl. Once the design is revealed, I'll make a decision then.

TFKitFG

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 9, 2010
something I've always done was name myself after the original rival, Gary.. in turn naming my rival Ash. (basically a copy paste of a previous response, but I didn't want either of the threads to feel left out!)

Darkmoonazara

Dousuta Sora? Mou Ariga?
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2011
Depends what they look like. And whether they are the sam gender or not. If they aren't, I'll name the boy Riku and the girl kasai. otherwise, I'll name male rival Axel and a female rival Larxene.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
Years
meh.. depends on the Region
in R/B/Y i was always battling with my Cousin Jomar so the Gary character was always named Jomar... plus mine always been named Jacob
plus, it kinda fit. 5 letters both started with J
in Johto my name changed to JAKE and my rival was Jesse who was an Older friend of mine
he always beat me every time we battled so Beating my Rival with his name was fun xD
in Hoenn my name turned to Jaiyke... well it sucked because you couldnt name them in Hoenn Dx
in Sinnoh the Blonde Helpless fellow got the name of my much Younger Cousin who
i helped through the game his name was Isayah and i am either Jacob or Jaiyke in Sinnoh too... in HG SS i decided to go back to naming my rival Jomar
for Isshu my name with be Jacob/Jaiyke again with Rival being
Boy: Colt a friend of mine who plays Pokemon with me now or
Girl: Rena also a friend of mine who plays Pokemon with me XD

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 28, 2011
I'll be Yin and they will be Yang....Nah I'm lying I'm Calder of course and they are Tyson...As it always has been...(Fit perfectly in DPPt though haha)

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
Years
Well let's see... in Red I named him James, in Gold I called him Fudge... I'll probably call em' Dorian for a guy or Calla for a girl...

Logic.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2011
If its a guy rival: Silver (its what i'm calling all my rivals now)
If its a girl rival: Probably there real names (anime/manga names)

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2010
I usually name my rival Lavir (Rival Backwards). Yea I know its lame but I just dont like the names provided.

Lunyka

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Well if the boy happens to be the rival then I dunno yet.

I might name him Matt due to that being my boyfriend's name and how we used to play pokemon a lot together.

My name ingame will be Kat so no big deal there.

Back