Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
That Millenium Rod is very impressive. :O
The neko character is cute. I like it. :3

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Yahoo to KKN
Thank you. I'm glad you like them. ^^

Ice-type Trainer & Dunsparce Fanatic | 3DS Friend Code: 4081-5742-6200
Karite-Kita-Neko @deviantARTKjKun Neko @GPXPlus
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Midreavus is so kawaii! ^w^
Spoiler:

Here's the original sketch and a card I made:

I really would've prefered to have colored this in a more serious style, but this is all I could do for today.
If anyone else wants to color this, go for it.

Last edited by KKN; June 10th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

UPDATE:

Celebi's Forest: I got to class early (by like... 2 hours) and eventually started doodling Pokemon sketches. Typically, I cannot draw a Celebi, but I actually managed to do so this day. As soon as I got home, I scanned it and began cleaning up the lines and coloring. I thought it looked pretty nice, so I was going to make a background for it, but, instead, I asked a friend of mine if she wanted to help. She was happy to and went riding in the hills until she found a nice foresty area and snapped a picture. I then applied the Celebi pic and added some shadows, contrast, and glowy effects to make it nice together. If you want to see what the Celebi pic looked like before the background was added, click here.

Laprince: An attempted Lapras evo that was originally going to be a Lapras, but I customized it a little much. I like how the drawing itself turned out, but I'm not a big fan of the concept. While Lapras really doesn't need an evo, if it had one, I think it would look way cooler than this.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:11 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

UPDATE: I can’t believe I didn’t update at all through the entire month of May. D:

Nekoban Ryo redesign, STILL in progress: I still have yet to finalize Nekoban Ryo’s new design, but he’s looking better. :)

What happened to this Mew?: After seeing several Mew tweaks, I decided to create my own. It’s a Psychic/Dark-type Mew.

Mijumaru Sketch: Not only is this the first pic I've drawn of Mijumaru, but it's also the first 5th Generation Pokemon I've ever drawn. The pose isn't very original, but that's common amongst my first-time Pokemom drawings. It's just a rough sketch, but I figured I should upload it since I hadn't uploaded any real drawings in a while.

Sun Beast: I had a dream a while back. In the dream, a big orange dragonish (very serpent-like, as its body was really long) creature with the face (more like a mask) of a lion mixed with a sun and big eerie cat-like eyes had passed right through my bedroom window and slowly (VERY slowly) drifted through my house, to the living room where the next window was, then it passed through that one and left. I remember telling my mom to stay away from it because she would die if she touched it. I knew it represented an immense heat, possibly that of the sun itself. When I awoke, all I could think was "Huh, that was an interesting creature...." so I figured I should sketch it while it was fresh in my mind. It wasn't as fresh as I thought, but I got the basic idea down. However, it doesn't seem near as eerie in the sketch as it did in the dream and I'm pretty sure I had left out several features (such as the amount of whiskers). To make up for it, I put little arrows and notes all over the place saying stuff like "but even creepier" and "not a good thing." I later (not too long before before I uploaded this) decided to try to make a cleaner pic, possibly more detailed, on my computer. I only made its face but, while it does share some similarities with the beast in my dream (though very little as I still didn't capture the eeriness or even the colors), it looks more like a tropical punch mascot. :/

HeavenEarth Starter, Xyawhon: I've not been drawing much lately. Over the course of the past few weeks, whenever I'd try to draw a human-like character, it wouldn't work out. I remembered today that whenever I usually can't draw human characters, I'm a bit better at drawing creatures like Fakemon. Since I had recently revived my HeavenEarth project, I figured I would try to redraw some of my Fakemon in better poses for the game. First one I decided to redraw was this thing, Xyawhon. Xyawhon (Zai uh wahn) is a Dragon/Flying starter in HeavenEarth Version. Rather than sticking with the typical starter types, I decided to use Ice/Water, Dragon/Flying, & Electric/Ground. Xyawhon is listed as the Small Drake Pokemon. Its name might be a reference to zircon, a type of crystal (notice the diamond shape on Xyawhon's head). Of course, this is not the finalized art, but is probably the most I'll do with this image. I really want to get another Sugi-style artist in the project...

Old June 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

New Shimama vector added:

Made it for a friend's birthday.

Spoiler:

Spidercat. LAWL

Last edited by KKN; June 14th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Rei Shingetsu
真月 零

Nature: Sassy
You're officially another art idol of mine.

*Runs after you with pen and paper*
And ahh I wish I could ship one of the Yu Gi Oh things.
Always wanted one since young xP

BARIAN EMPEROR

. R E I . S H I N G E T S U .

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:24 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

D'aww... Thanks. ^^
If I ever get around to making more, I'll probably have 'em up for sale. Of couse, If you're interested, I can tell you how I made 'em so you can try it yourself.

---

UPDATE:

Shimama (Shaded): Shaded version of my previously submitted "Shimama Vector."

Millennoum Ring - Better Pics: I uploaded these because I really wasn't happy with the previous shots of my Millennium Ring. Though they may be small, I think these do it better justice. On a side note, I almost have everything I need for my Yami Bakura cosplay. I have to wait for the shirt to get in so I can modify it (gets scissors ready) and I've yet to find an affordable wig, though I have found a few tips. WILL WORK FOR LONG WHITE WIGS! XD

No, seriously.

Old July 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

UPDATE:

Updated Felsurge Concept: The newest concept art for Felsurge, the Storming Pokemon, the final evolution of the Electric/Ground starter in my fan game project, Pokemon HeavenEarth (Zerble).

Rainbow Wing & Silver Wing: My attempt to make realistic images of the items used to evoke Ho-oh and Lugia.

Old July 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

So many updates, so few replies. *sigh*

UPDATE: New "Fierce Kj'kun Sketch" added to the Traditional section

Another drawing of my favorite original character, Kj'kun. I'm currently cleaning up and digitizing the lineart and should have it colored shortly after that's complete. Expect the colored version to be added soon (like less than a week).

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Gooseberrysoda
Beginning Trainer

I love your style... It's like something I've never seen before.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Thank you. That makes me very happy to hear. ^^

---

UPDATE:

Kj - Cell Shading attempt: Here's that colored Kj'kun I promised. I usually don't do cell shading (as I find it extremely difficult and time-consuming), but I figured I'd give it a try on this picture. I didn't use cell shading on the hair highlight or the claws, though that is pretty common in anime nowadays. I really wanted to make the claws look cooler and more icy, but I'm not that advanced as a graphic artist.

For those of you who haven't been formally introduced to Kj, let me give you a breif bio. Kj (Kahj) comes from a tribe of Neko (cat) people and was born with the power of ice. For example, he can freeze moisture in the air in order to cloak his body in an icy mirror-like down (making him invisible), hide his scent, or form icy combat tools such as a large pair of claws. Technically, he's a snow leopard. He has silvery-white hair, red eyes, and fairly pale skin. The black markings on the sides of his face are hereditary, though the design on his arm is a tattoo. He's about 19-20 years old. He dislikes loud noises. He likes fish. He dislikes romance. He likes fish.

Kj'kun actually has 2 different stories. In one, he's born into a family of royalty and raised by his sister. He's eventually called to duty and dies, but gets resurrected. In another story, he lost his family in a fire when he was young. He grows up with a human girl named Uae (created by Caitlin-Massacre) and eventually falls for her (though he was in denial about it for a long time). They eventually have 3 children: Shuu'ta (a fire-elemental halfbreed), Mj'noh (an ice-elemental halfbreed), and Xane (a light-elemental halfbreed capable of transforming into a cat).

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Trent_Jayir
Who the hell do you think i am

Nature: Hardy
I like Kj's design! You did a good job with the cell shading too, i think it's interesting that you still shaded the hair softly, it makes his hair seem softer and his body seem harsher and more boldly powerful. I like it.

I also like that he likes fish. twice. <3
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Thanks. :D

It seems to be getting more and more common that hair is shaded with gradient nowadays. Plus, it's easier for me to shade like that. lol

You're absolutely right! Though I wasn't aiming for that effect, I'm glad it worked out that way. Thanks for pointing that out! :D

I thought it would be nice the emphisize that. ;0

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Wow that art is simply fantastic man, and there's far too much that I've missed for me to give comments on individual pieces really, but you are definitely improving. I also really love the style of those feathers you created, really original ideas there. :D

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

*GLOMP*

Haha, thanks. I'm glad you think so. :D

I personally don't find the feathers very original, but whatevs. XD

Oh, were you a mod last time we talked? If not, congrats on your promotion!

Old July 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

UPDATE:

Kj'kun Wallpaper: My attempt to create a desktop wallpaper featuring my newest Kj pic [link]. Of course, it probably would have looked better with actual scenery, but I'm no good with that unless I use a photo. I don't like using other people's work (even if it is fair use) and it's not snowing here, so I have to settle for this. Click here for full-view.

Mannequin: Seeing as I don't have a mannequin to style my wig on, I'm attempting to make my own using paper and masking tape. All of the paper used for this is recycled (failed drawings, school hand-outs). Click here to see the progress leading up to this.

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Trent_Jayir

You know, that self-made mannequin is such a great idea... @_@
I went though hell with my Simonwig and had to style it on an upturned lampshade xD; urgh!

But no really the mannequin looks very well-made (and I'm tempted to make a couple myself to keep my wigs on.... Could even paint them to look like the character...? could be interesting, so i'm hoping to see more if you work on this again!! :'D )
Good luck with it all and have fun :'D
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Thanks.
You know, I didn't even think about styling my wig on anything but a head/mannequin. XD

Go for it. This one was pretty easy to make (though it took amost all day, working on it on and off, though part of that was cleaning out my desk, seeing what papers I didn't need anymore).

I would love to be able to make this one look like the character, but it would need to be smoother and in order to do that, I would probably have to paper mache it. However, it's already a little wider than desired, so if I were to do that, the wig may not fit properly. Therefore, I doubt I'll be doing much more with it, if anything at all. ):

---

I guess I'll post this:

And for anyone wondering, no, I did not draw the Bakura pic at the top.

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:29 AM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
That vector thats in your avatar really doesnt match up with that background in post #192
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFA View Post
That vector thats in your avatar really doesnt match up with that background in post #192
Yeah, I know. I'm not very good at that kind of thing. Backgrounds are my weakness...

@your signature: I <3 Mijumaru.

Last edited by KKN; August 6th, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Started styling my wig, but I have no idea what I'm doing! HELP!!!

I wish this thread would hurry up and get to the next page already...

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I dont think anybody here is qualified to give you wig pointers. Good luck none the less.
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Trent_Jayir

Firstly; not a bad start, you seem to have the right idea ;'>
[Long comment is wall of text. (I forget if page-strachers are frowned upon here or not so I'm playing a safe bet and spoilering it xD ]
Spoiler:
xD well, I don't know much about wigs, i'm no expert. But I suppose a trip to google to search for tutorials for yourself won't hurt, right?
If you want an expert opinion..
Either way, first things first;
You're probably going to have to cut it a bit.
Unless it came cut for styling, get yourself some scissors, you might need to check that they don't stress the material of the wig, all scissors blades are cut differently and some are just NOT designed for cutting a wig (paper sicissors differ to dress-making scissors and they both differ to hair-styling scissors, to be honest I found a pair of paper scissors that worked on my first wig, if you're on a budget but it's a risk. The fibre of your wig looks very different to the one I used...) Check they work on some underside hairs that won't show, (middle bottom at the back would be best) see it doesn't damage the wig fibres in anyway. (I.e splitting or stressing (curling or 'frizzing') or any change in the fibre other than length. )
When you've got your sicssors you need to pay attention to the net of the wig.
you notice the wig is made up of layers attached to individual strips of the underside netting? (i forget the proper names now) well, the more of these layers, the easier your wig will be to work with. You need to seperate your wig by these layers, use hair clips or bands to keep the bits you're not working on from getting mixed up with the bits you are working on. Basically, the more difference there is in the length of the layers, the more the 'volumous' the wig will sit. If you cut it too short, it'll look plain bad. Try not to cut so short in any places that the underside nets show through. This depends on how many layers your wig as overall, but if the length covers over two stips minimkm it should be okay, but be careful, this is just me/a guideline and if it looks like it will be wrong for your wig, DON'T DO IT. Use your own common sense :'> you are clever enough to know that already though.

You need to note how long each of bakuras spikes are. How long his hair is overall in realtion to his face and work this same relation on your wig to your face. It means taking the wig on and off until you get it right! (Remember: you can always cut more off, but if you cut too much off, you're done for!!!)

Plan where the spikes are. Seperate them preferably on your head from the netting and plan how long you want them to be at most. Now all the sections are sepreated off into indiviual 'to-be-spikes' (easy enough tying it up with hairbands) You can start cutting. To make a spike you want the hair to thin out towards the end (an angled cut with the scissors should help you achive this, with help from a comb) the longest hairs will make up the point of a spike and the gradually shorter hairs will make the pointed effect up around it before the bulk of the rest of the 'hair'. Twisting the ends with spray will make it hold. Try not to go overboard with spray. or the twisting xD; Enough to hold it place but you don't want it to look stupid, so try to go with the wig and let the style happen naturally.
(for my Simon wig I ended up not using any spray because his hair is quite flat and I could cut the wig into the style I wanted, ofc this is different for Bakura xD ...) The fringe, for example, can be done by layering the hair thickly and cutting the bottom spikes fairly unevenly, (the more uneven it is=more possible spikes, more possible spikes=more volume in the hair, too much is bad, so don't go overboard!) minimum hairspray required, just so much so a nasty breeze or run-in with air-con wouldn't mess it up. But maybe not so much so the wind can play about with it a little. Don't let the wig be stiff and lifeless it'll look horrible and really, really fake!! I'd also say, for the rest of the wig, spray on from the spike tip upwards, with less towards where your head will be, so the wig isn't overdone (especially those lower spikes, especially round the back of his head he has, you can probably do MOST of this with some clever spike-tip cutting, but not all ;'> his hair is pretty insane. Oh Yu-Gi-OH, your hair is so crazy!)
If it helps, look at other cosplayers for ideas! They've been teher and done it! look for the ones who did it badly and DON'T do what they did, look at the ones who look awesome and DO what they did! Easy enough :'>

Finally, work from the bottom of the wig upwards. Get the bottom length right and work up in layers. Then put the wig back on and see how it looks.
Re-Seperate the spikes and re-define the cutting if you have to! Put that wig on as often as you can without ruing the styling you just did and plan, plan, plan while its on so you know EXACTLY what to do when you take it off.
If the wig doesn't wanna go that way, don't force it, work with it, not against it, and you should be fine!

I hope this all helps, good luck and remember, cosplaying is for fun, so enjoy yourself!

Old August 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

... *reaches it to you*

lol Thanks. This guide seems pretty helpful, so I'll see what I can do. I'd rather cutting be a last resort, as I'm low on cash and the wig was not cheap. I've looked around, but have only managed to find one person who used the same type of wig as a base, but I wasn't exceptionally fond of how they made the "wings" (they didn't even look like them, similarly to how I have the pic up there). I've seen at least 2 other wigs that were good, imo, but they used different methods (such as sewing together multiple witch/wizards wigs). It would be so much easier if I could just sculpt the wig, but none of my styling supplies are allowing me to do that and gravity is working against me. Almost everything I had spiked up there has fallen back into the original position...

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links