• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

How to repoint images on Unlz.gba (Make smaller sprites bigger!)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Hello this is my first tutorial, so bear with me. :)

Tools needed.
Unlz.gba (duh)
XSE
FSF
Sprite

Steps 1-5 are for total newbies.

1) First open up Unlz and find the sprite you want.

2) Then press "Save as". Save it somewhere you'll remember.

3) Open it in a photo editor (ex. MS Paint).

3) Edit it or paste another sprite (in the same pallet) onto the image.

4) Save it and import it to Unlz.

5) Press "Write to Rom", and press Okay.

Now the part some of you'll be waiting for. :)

6) Wait did it say it was to big? Oh that is easy. Remember the number that appears in the error message (ex. 384).

7) Open up XSE and in the upper right hand corner there will be something that looks like a calculator. Make sure the little circle by/on it is on Hex.

8) Put that number there. Then press the little circle that says Dec. (for my example it will be 900)

9) Now remember that number and open FSF.

10) Press file, open rom, and find where your rom is located on your computer.

11) Paste the Dec number where it says "needed bytes".

12) Press "search from beginning of rom" and press search.

13) Copy the number that appears.

14) Now pull up unlz again. Import the picture again, but instead of saying okay. First paste the number that appeared in FSF where those random numbers are. (oh and make sure you remove the random numbers EXCEPT FOR THE 2 0s!!!!!!111 I can't stress this enough!)

15) Now press okay. It will say it repointed something.

16) Don't freak out when the image isn't there once you close out of Unlz or go to another image. This is normal. Unlz doesn't show repointed images, but it is in your rom. (Might have to ask Hackmew why this is.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
It's a good tut, It's something I already knew how to do, but I thought my Unlz was messed up, but after reading your step 16 I realised it wasn't! So thank you for making this tutorial. =D

You might want to try and add some images though.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
...this is not needed, there are one of these tutorial in all sprite inserting tutorials, which we have too many, every once and a while we get someone who make the sprite inserting discovery of the year, then it is needed...

Years
Good tutorial- useful for beginners. Although you should add that you could also just use the Windows calculator- there's a hex-mode on it, you just type in the digits and click the DEC button to convert it to Decimal (which is the format needed for FSF, if I remember correctly.
But otherwise, yes, it's useful for beginners.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
This is not needed at all. The repointing function is simple and most tutorials cover it so this tutorial is nothing special. I say a MOD should close this down, it's not needed at all.

HackMew makes tools and what does he get?
Their features used as excuses to make pointless tutorials. >:O

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
I agree to a certain degree of what you are saying Pokepal17... I also agree that this can be found in many spriting tutorials, but this is a bit more detailed for repointing images. If a beginner doesn't understand what somebodys doing in their tutorial when they're repointing an image, they can refer to this.

Although this tutorial does need images.

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2014
I have repointed and imported images many times without a problem but all of a sudden, when I repoint images now, I go to my emulator to run into it in the wild so I can see what it looks like but just keeps it freezing......I have used MANY different offsets using FSF and have searched in a hex editor for different offsets but its no use...........

EDIT: It seems that my rom doesnt like offsets past 800000.....It works on lower offsets though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2013
...this is not needed, there are one of these tutorial in all sprite inserting tutorials, which we have too many, every once and a while we get someone who make the sprite inserting discovery of the year, then it is needed...

I disagree. I'm a beginner and I found this tutorial easier to understand and find than the others.

Back