The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:38 PM
Alakazam17
I'm Too Nice. Deal With It.

Nature: Quirky
I don't see a problem with it, actually. Though, having said that, I don't think many women would do it regardless, at least in non-recreational places. As suggested before, it shouldn't be a big deal if you're just wearing a bra, though I don't think that's the point of this thread.

In the end I guess it all goes down to traditional gender-stereotypes. Women are supposed to be embarrassed to reveal too much of themselves, right? Please. Women's clothing tends to be a lot more revealing that men's anyway, heh.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

I believe everyone has the right to be nude in public, but seeing as how it's generally a social taboo(at least where I live), not much would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
For men being topless lets them show off their muscles and stuff but for women it makes you feel vulnerable so it is different. That is why it is not allowed.
Who made you the spokesperson for an entire gender?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Trap-Eds
Dig a hole, dig a hole........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
I always found it strange why a man can go topless in public but a woman cannot.
I have a question: Why would they-we-want to? I see no reason for me to run around topless-it's not that hot down here. I think guys only do it beacuse they get hot and tired from working all day or whatever they do.

lol at the guys' answers
:cer_boogie:
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Do rock concerts count as public? D:

>__> Kay fine, concerts aside, no.

Men can go around topless in certain places because they don't have anything that would all hang out thar for everyone to see. A woman walking around topless in public, seems like the equivalence of a man walking around without pants/underwear on. Seems overkill.. there are clothes for a reason. Due to societies norms, I would call it tacky. xD;
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Here is the golden rule, if you have cleavage then put it away; that applies to men too. Put a shirt on fatty!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
the bitter end.
.only slightly insane

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to the bitter end. Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to the bitter end. Send a message via Yahoo to the bitter end.
Um... I don't see why not. If they want to that is.

BLACKROCKSHOOTER
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
If I can find myself on a website showing naked breasts without having to pass an 18+ warning page, then there's probably nothing wrong with the presence of naked breasts in recreational public locales. Even still, the only place I as a man can go without a shirt is either the beach or a public pool. Most restaurants and/or retailers don't serve you if you're not wearing a shirt (or shoes) anyways.

[insert obligatory sexual joke from male perspective here]

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Xebelleon
Mugcake Handler

Large women in small amounts of clothing make me giggle...

I think they should cover considering the stimulant of exposed female flesh/nipple. I'm against topless in most public settings.

Spoiler:

MEN: No shoes. No shirt. No service.
WOMEN: No shoes. No shirt. More beer.

Sweaty/moisturized boobs are my problem. What if she starts running? Bouncy! Bouncy! Bouncy! Okay with breastfeeding (not near me, please) and "flashing/flirting"...

Last edited by Xebelleon; June 23rd, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I always found it strange why a man can go topless in public but a woman cannot.

I remember being told it is because a female's topless body is sexually attractive to men and society wants to mitigate this in public so children and such aren't offended.

Well woman can also be sexually attracted to a man's topless body so that logic seems moot to me.
Guys don't walk around with their pants off (normally), so I don't think girls should run around with their shirts off. Seems disgusting to me. I would just think she was a random prostitute, and she'd certainly gain that attention. But I did used to wonder why guys could take their shirts off and girls couldn't, and I was about 7 at the time. No girl at my age had anything to show, so I'm not understanding that being too inappropriate. But a grown woman who would normally have to wear a bra, that's a problem. We don't need all the men around getting stiff, especially when their lady friend is around. So no, I'm not for it.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I think that women and men both equally have the right to go in public nude; not just nude beaches and all, but it's society that heavily frowns upon it. I think it's even illegal in some(if not a majority) of states here in America if you're a women and you go out topless. We all have the right to, but I think because of society, we just don't. If women do go out topless, like Sydian said, they may get negative views and get viewed as prostitutes and stuff...

I think society's rules are pretty ridiculous, but the only sensible counterargument I can find in this is that there are a lot of male perverts and it just...for the safety of some women, it would be better if they would wear clothes. I mean, you don't see guys' breasts sagging, and that's not the part of their body that sticks out the most. For a woman, that's...the part that does stick out, at least to most guys. .__. Pretty sad, but I guess...
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
reyzn

In my hometown there's a well-known woman who fought for her right to go topless in our town... needless to say she's the only one who does it lol.
In the summer time she's often seen biking around topless..

Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Jolene
Your huckleberry friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
the only sensible counterargument I can find in this is that there are a lot of male perverts and it just...for the safety of some women, it would be better if they would wear clothes..
But that's a pretty big counter argument, don't you think? It definitely outweighs the other side of the argument.

What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Benjamin510
The King of Typio's!

Nature: Adamant
No. Ok with Bras, they should at-least have a small fine for doing it once.

Hall of Quotes
Spoiler:
"WE ALREADY HAVE THAT, IT'S CALLED BULBAPEDIA"
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Yeah I'm pretty sure that won't increase rape, kidnappings and crap. But as much as I would like to say "Yes, equality is now stronger blah blah" I just can't knowing that it will only increase rape, kidnappings and such.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Rich Boy Rob
"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokusasu View Post
I don't know why, but heck, people kick off when a woman breastfeeds in public, no matter how discreet she is.
Really? Who? If you ever go on the tube in london, it's unlikely you won't see someone breastfeeding at some point.

Anyways, I think they should. The only reason breasts have become sexualised is because they are 'hidden' for lack of a better term. If every man woman and child walked around topless, no one would think anything of it. Realistically a sexual desire towards breasts is more like a fetish than anything else.

Besides, it's not as if the rule would that you must walk around topless. Just that if you felt you wanted to for whatever reason, then you could.

Shame is a cruel mistress.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hikari <3
KANON!!! <3

Nature: Naughty
I say they should. I mean, I've gone in public (on my school bus) with just a bra on... sorry, that might be a little... too much... but why not? As long as they're wearing a bra I don't see the problem.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Rich Boy Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari <3 View Post
I say they should. I mean, I've gone in public (on my school bus) with just a bra on... sorry, that might be a little... too much... but why not? As long as they're wearing a bra I don't see the problem.
I think the OP is on about being completely bare above the waist. No bra or anything.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hikari <3
KANON!!! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Boy Rob View Post
I think the OP is on about being completely bare above the waist. No bra or anything.
Thanks for clearing that up...... then my answer is no. Except on beaches.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Pokeyomom
Hoenn no you didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Guys don't walk around with their pants off (normally), so I don't think girls should run around with their shirts off. Seems disgusting to me. I would just think she was a random prostitute, and she'd certainly gain that attention. But I did used to wonder why guys could take their shirts off and girls couldn't, and I was about 7 at the time. No girl at my age had anything to show, so I'm not understanding that being too inappropriate. But a grown woman who would normally have to wear a bra, that's a problem. We don't need all the men around getting stiff, especially when their lady friend is around. So no, I'm not for it.
O god. Guys pants off='s exposure of male sex organs. Girls shirts off does not = exposure of female sex organs. Sure, breasts are considered reproductive organs, but only in the sense that they serve to feed offspring. There is nothing disgusting about women walking around topless. As I do recall, that is how things originally were.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
NOOBLMAO
Woosh

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to NOOBLMAO Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NOOBLMAO Send a message via Yahoo to NOOBLMAO
I find it funny how in American society, a PG-13 movie can have lots of blood and people killing people and other gratuitous violence, but it can't show a nipple.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Rich Boy Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOBLMAO View Post
I find it funny how in American society, a PG-13 movie can have lots of blood and people killing people and other gratuitous violence, but it can't show a nipple.
It's funny how in Europe it's basically reversed.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
General Bravo
Imperial Commander

YES OF F***ING COURSE THEY SHOULD

/retardedness

The way I see it, it's situational. Conerts, what are ya gonna do about it? Half the women there(and just as many of the men if not more)are drunk, high, or both. If you think you're gonna stop a woman from takin off her shirt there, that ain't happenin. In the workplace, on the other hand, it would be far too distracting for the men if the women walked around in bras(or nothing)all day. Sexual harassment cases would blow through the roof. In parks....depends. If you're out in the middle of nowhere or no one's around, and it's hot, do what you will.

For clarification, is this a debate on no tops(shirts and such)on women or nothing on any of the torso at all?

Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
No, that would be unnecessary. Sure, you're happy with yourself, but IMO it's still indecent exposure. Someone might not want their children exposed to that at a young age. :/
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
General Bravo
Imperial Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Destler View Post
No, that would be unnecessary. Sure, you're happy with yourself, but IMO it's still indecent exposure. Someone might not want their children exposed to that at a young age. :/
So breastfeeding them at a younger age is just fine? I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I don't see what difference it makes when many kids start off getting fed from breasts. Plus, frankly, depending on gender, they will wind up having them or seeing them at some point anyway. And it's not like they'll induce nightmares or psychological issues the way exposing them to, say, Gears of War would.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Esper

I was told by a friend that in Vancouver it's legal for women to be topless. I know there are towns in the US where this is the same. Most women in these places don't bother to express their legally protected right to be topless though.

Here's some food for though. Some men can and do develop breasts similar to most women's. It's medically recognized. Some women are also very flat-chested. Anyway, breasts =/= genitalia (not even going into that argument). Just because some people can't control themselves in the sight of a part of the human body doesn't mean it should be covered up. Those people should just mature a bit.

deviantart blog pair
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links