The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcanineOod View Post
Hmm. That would require you having to use a cheating device, though, and many people don't like to do that.
xX
Yeah, I think that's why it didn't catch on.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
jespoke
Challenge Forum Stalker

I had an idea, The Version-Exclusive Challenge (Or: The Not-in-the-counterpart Challenge):D

A Challenge where you´re only allowed to use pokemons who don´t appear in the counterpart, like Fx using Vileplume in Firered or Victreebel in Leafgreen.

If anyone likes the idea i can host it between my other 2 challenges, or if someone else wants to, i would happily join.:D
Old July 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

I would probably end up doing that because I'm going to do every challenge. The only problem is that in some versions it takes a while to get those Pokemon iirc.
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Melody
✿Singing Nature's Melody✿

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Here's an idea: 3 Moveslot HM Challenge

This challenge is not intended to cripple game play beyond the below listed rules. We don't want to make it too insanely difficult to play. If you want to make it interesting, offer the more restrictive rules under a 'challenge tier' so that not everyone is bound to them.

Additionally this challenge is meant to provide a breath of fresh air to those who are tired of the same old basic challenges which restrict types or number of party Pokemon and such.

Naturally, if you choose to host this challenge, I only ask that you follow the host rules.
The host rules are in place to preserve the spirit of this challenge, which is simply to be something that is unique but not overly restrictive.

Feel free to insert rules to ensure proper updating of the thread about the player's current progress.

The rules:
3 Usable Moveslots: (Essentially you must fill the extra moveslot with any HM)

1. This challenge starts officially only after you've obtained your first HM in the game. This gives you time to build a starting team up, trade in usable Pokemon, ect.
1a. No hacked Pokemon please. If you cannot legally obtain it, you must not hack it in.
1b. You may store Pokemon in the PC and actively swap members of your team to stay in compliance with the rules.
1c. All Pokemon in your battling team MUST know ONE HM move.
1d. You must designate your starting Pokemon in your entry post. This can be any of the starter Pokemon you can choose from at the beginning of the game or any Pokemon you can legally obtain via trading before you obtain your first HM.
1e. Your designated Starter Pokemon MUST be able to learn at least ONE HM found in your game. It cannot be traded to your game as your starter if it knows any HM moves.
1f. You may trade Pokemon to your game to add to your team
1g. You may not trade Pokemon who know HM moves you have not obtained in the game or lack the badge to use outside of battle. (This means you cant trade a Pokemon that knows Fly to your game unless you have found the Fly HM AND have the badge required to use it outside of battle
1h. This challenge is completed when you defeat the Elite 4 and the Champion. (Essentially when the credits roll for the first time)
2. When you obtain your first HM, One Pokemon in your team must immediately learn the HM.
2a. Any Pokemon who cannot or do not learn that HM must boxed away.
2b. See Rules 4a, 4b and 4c, as they apply here. (4b and 4c don't apply if the optional rules are omitted)
2c. With the exception of your Starter Pokemon. This means you can keep the Pokemon who learned the HM and your Starter.
2d. If you do not teach your designated Starter the first HM, you must teach it the first one you are able to teach it.
3. When you obtain a new HM, you must be able to teach it to ONE Pokemon in your team immediately. Please do some research if you must to ensure you don't find an HM you cant teach to any of your current party members.
3a. You may carry only one Pokemon which lacks an HM move, but it MUST NOT participate in battle.
3b. [Optional Challenge Rule]If all other Pokemon have fainted, and you have No Revives to use to obey Rule 3a, then you have lost the challenge.
3c. If you are carrying a Pokemon with no HM, you must ensure that it can learn the next HM you find.
3d. [Optional Challenge Rule]If you find the next HM and the Pokemon qualifying under Rule 3c is unable to learn the HM immediately, then you have lost the challenge.

4. Upon catching any Pokemon, you must immediately teach it any HM move if it lands in your party. No exceptions. If it goes straight to your PC, it's fine.
4a. If it is unable to learn any of your HMs, you must proceed straight to the next PC. in the game and box it. No exceptions.
4b. [Optional Challenge Rule]If after catching a Pokemon that qualifies under Rule 4a, you are at any point in the game where you cannot immediately proceed to a PC without completing another portion of the storyline, or participating in any trainer battle, then you have lost the challenge.
4c. [Optional Challenge Rule]When you are qualified under rule 4b, If you catch any Pokemon, stop at any PokeMart/Department Store, or enter any other building that does not contain a PC and interact with any characters in there, you have automatically lost the challenge.
5. You must not use your HM moves in battle This includes ALL moves, even the ones that reduce stats and are useless after 6 uses on one opponent Pokemon.
5a. Except when all other moves have 0 PP remaining
5b. You may switch Pokemon when your attack moves run out of PP, but you are not required to do so, you may exhaust all other moves PP if you feel you must use the HM.
6. You may not use any HM slaves. Your team must know the necessary HMs to pass through the terrain.
6a. No Pokemon may know more than one HM move. The HMs must be distributed equally amongst your team.
6b. [Optional Challenge Rule]No two Pokemon in your party can know the same HM move.
6c. [Optional Challenge Rule]If any Pokemon qualify under Rule 6c, they MUST NOT participate in battle.
Rules for potential hosts:
1. You must not add any rules banning any specific Pokemon which can be legally obtained.
1a. You may tier your challengers based upon the Pokemon they select, but you may not decline any challenger entry based upon the legally obtainable Pokemon they selected.
1b. You may not decline any challengers because you did not include a tier for the Pokemon they have selected. (All Pokemon must fall into one of your challenge tiers)
1c. You must not add any rules banning the use of any legally obtainable items or legally learned moves which cannot be used outside of battle
1d. This challenge may not be combined with any other challenge which contains rules which violate these host rules.
1e. If you intend to combine this challenge with any other, you must remove any rules which violate these host rules.
1f. You must credit me when hosting this challenge. Just mention me somewhere ok?
1g. You may not edit the rules which are not optional or insert rules which override them in any situation.
2. You may omit any rules marked [Optional Challenge Rule].
2a. It is recommended that you include a tier of challengers for which the Optional Challenge Rules do apply. This is not required.
2b. When following 2a, you must not ban any Legitimately Obtainable Pokemon from challenge play tiers.
2c. You may add any rules to make the challenge more challenging to this tier so long as they are not expressly prohibited by any other Host Rule.
2d. You may not enforce the Optional Challenge Rules upon all entrants and offer no tier without those rules. Either you have a tier without Optional Rules or you do without them entirely.
3. Rule 1 and it's children apply to all tiers, including challenge play tiers. Rule 2 and it's children only applies to challenge play tiers.
Zorua
Avant Garde
~~~+~~~

Last edited by Melody; July 1st, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Wait... Rule 6 says you can't have any HM slaves, but you can only have one HM per battle. What if you need more than 6 HMs?
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Melody

Can you cite any areas in any Pokemon game which requires you to carry all 7 HMs?
(I bet you can't because Fly does not open the path to anything you must pass through to complete the game)

Additionally, an HM slave is a pokemon that knows more than one HM, and you can't use HMs in battle.

Note that there have been several refining edits to the previous post as well, feel free to raise any further concerns
Zorua
Avant Garde
~~~+~~~

Old July 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Oh yeah, I didn't actually think of what the HMs did XD. I guess you don't ever need Fly or Flash/Defog. In Heart Gold and Soul Silver you need Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb though, don't you?
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Melody

Actually I think Flash/Defog are useful when you're crawling through caves/areas that are Dark/Foggy, so I wouldn't require people to do without those moves, but if you've played through the game enough already you probably won't always need them in those situations either. xD
Zorua
Avant Garde
~~~+~~~

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
jespoke
Challenge Forum Stalker

Ok, a list of the first obtainable Version Exclusve pokemons:

Red: Mankey, Before 1. Gym
Blue: Meowth, Before 1. Gym

Gold/Heart Gold: Spinarak, Before 1. Gym
Silver/Soul Silver: Ledyba, Before 1. Gym

Ruby: Seedot, Before 1. Gym
Sapphire: Lotad, Before 1. Gym

Fire Red: Ekans, Before 2. Gym
Leaf Green: Sandshrew, Before 2. Gym

Diamond: Cranidos, Before 2. Gym
Pearl: Shieldon, Before 2. Gym

Or, For the ones who use the 3. versions, its enought the pokemon only is missing in 1 of the others:

Yellow: Mankey, Before 1. Gym

Crystal: Lediba or Spinarak, Before 1. Gym

Emerald: Seedot or Lotad, Before 1. Gym

Platinum: Shieldon(Last number in ID even) or Cranidos(Last number in ID odd), Before 2. Gym
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

I think that challenge would overly limit what Pokemon you can choose, without actually making it much harder.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

I think I agree with Charmageddon. While its a good idea, you'd be limited to like 4 Pokemon per run, which isn't that bad, but still, you're almost doing a solo challenge.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
redsaber5859
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Naughty
Hm slave challenge
You would go through with only pokemon that are hm slaves, such as a bibarel with strength, cut, surf, and I forgot what else lol, you must have all pokemon the pat know an hm, and to make it more challenging, ONLY out of battle moves, like sweet scent, hms, dig, etc.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsaber5859 View Post
Hm slave challenge
You would go through with only pokemon that are hm slaves, such as a bibarel with strength, cut, surf, and I forgot what else lol, you must have all pokemon the pat know an hm, and to make it more challenging, ONLY out of battle moves, like sweet scent, hms, dig, etc.
That's sort of similar-but-actually-opposite to pachy's challenge. I see this one being more feasible, with significantly fewer rules. One thing you might want to add in is that once your Pokemon learns an HM, it can only use that HM, unless it learns another HM. So like, if you had a Bibarel that knew Cut, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Hyper Beam, you couldn't use Hyper Beam.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
redsaber5859
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
That's sort of similar-but-actually-opposite to pachy's challenge. I see this one being more feasible, with significantly fewer rules. One thing you might want to add in is that once your Pokemon learns an HM, it can only use that HM, unless it learns another HM. So like, if you had a Bibarel that knew Cut, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Hyper Beam, you couldn't use Hyper Beam.
Good idea, and ya, is kinda like pachysandra, but mine is more strict as you can o ly have hms and out of battle moves
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Is there any way to give multiple people the ability to edit the original post on threads? I'm pretty sure moderators can delete messages that they find offensive or spam, but can ordinary people be given some kind of special privilege for certain threads without just making an account for the thread and giving each person the password?
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
hack1
Dragon Green

There should be Single Species challenge where you can use only one species of Pokemon. My R/S/E Monotype was like that because I used only Linoones.

More ideas for PMD:
-PMD Scramble Challenge
-PMD Rercruit First Poke and use it Challenge
-PMD Nuzlocke Challenge (You can't use "Dead" team members anymore (Partner doesn't count))

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Here's the reason I was wondering:

One thing that I wouldn't mind seeing is a big edit of challenges. Like, there is a Monotype for every generation, as well as the ultimate. Same for Solo, and there are many other challenges that cover multi-generations in multiple challenges (Nuzlocke, Color, Gym Leader, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing a big cutdown, and only having one challenge for each of these. The OP would be a little more cluttered, but it could very easily just have one section describing the challenge and a spoiler for every generation (including the Ultimate). The reason I would propose this is that many people who do Ultimate Runs also sign up for the single runs (myself included). They would only have to place their updates in one place, and the number of challenges would drastically decrease and become more organized. Here is an example of what the Monotype Challenge would look like:

Monotype Challenge!!!
Play through a game using a team consisting of Pokemon that share a type.
Rules:
Spoiler:
1. The challenge is over once you beat the Elite four if you are playing any game but GSC HG/SS, and after you beat Red in GSC HG/SS.
2. You may only use Pokemon of one type.
3. Dual types are allowed, and count toward a Monotype Challenge of either type. For example: if you are doing a Water Monotype Challenge, it is okay to have a Gyarados, which is part Water and part flying. If you are doing a Flying Monotype Challenge, it is also okay to have a Gyarados, because he, once again, is part water and part flying. Also, you may use a Pokemon that later evolves into a Pokemon with your type. Once again, if you are doing a Flying type run, you may use Magikarp, because it evolves into Gyarados, which is part Flying. This does not work the other way around, though. If you are doing a Normal type Challenge, and have an Eevee, you may not evolve it into a Jolteon, claiming that one of the evolutions was Normal.
4. You must catch the first Pokemon of your type before you challenge the third Gym Leader in all games but DPPt, in DPPt before you exit Eterna Forest.
5. You may have up to 3 HM slaves on your team.
6. No legendaries.
7. You may use an emulator, and the speed button, but don't use the emulator to cheat.
8. Multiple people may do the same type.
9. If you cannot obtain a Pokemon of your type before the requirement, you may either trade an egg from another game, trade a level 5 Pokemon or below from another game, or (if you are using an emulator) shark in a low level Pokemon of your type at the very beginning of the game. Make it reasonable, though. If you are doing a Steel type challenge, don't put in a Skarmory or Steelix or anything like that. Put in like a Magnemite.
10. No trading, unless you are evolving a Pokemon.
11. Update regularly.
12. This isn't a race. Take your time and have fun.

Challengers:
RBY:
Spoiler:
none yet

GSC:
Spoiler:
none yet

RSE:
Spoiler:
none yet

FR/LG:
Spoiler:
none yet

DPPt:
Spoiler:
none yet

HG/SS:
Spoiler:
none yet

Ulitimate Monotype Challenge:

One game not enough for you? Try this challenge, then. Beat every region with the same type. That means you can choose one game from RBY FR/LG, one from GSC HG/SS, one from RSE, and one from DPPt.
Challengers:
Spoiler:
none yet

This way, all those challenges would be combined into one, easy place for people to go. But we don't want the people who have the challenges to lose their status as OP if they still want to maintain it. So why not let multiple people maintain them (if possible). This will also result in the OP getting updated more frequently, if more people can update it.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsaber5859 View Post
Hm slave challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
...That's a horrible idea really. I considered that myself when composing my post, but I figured that would be far far too difficult since that severely limits the movepool to a tiny percentage. You would not be able to successfully complete the game without a lot of grinding. Most HMs don't do a terrible amount of damage. (You'd need a level 100 Pokemon to clear the e4)
Zorua
Avant Garde
~~~+~~~

Old July 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

I dunno, you'd still be able to use Surf, Fly, Strength, Rock Climb, and Waterfall (depending on what game you play) and most Pokemon can learn at least one of those. Cut would be useless, but Flash for lowering accuracy would have a place, and Rock Smash is actually really useful.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Melody

Despite that, they don't have a lot of power. They do damage, but not much. That and you have to consider types and such. Imagine trying to kill a steel type with nothing but HMs. Especially a Steelix in the E4, where the CPU is far more aggressive in it's play.

I've tested that before, pushing an HM slave through the E4, and it's almost impossible to do. The point of my challenge was to be challenging, but not next-to-impossible. (because my idea isn't just for challenge masters, it's meant to be doable by anyone...even a complete Pokemon Challenge novice.)

But yeah. Limited type selection and a very limited choice of moves, depending on which pokemon you choose would make it quite difficult to battle against types with resistance to the HM types. You'd be stalled for hours. Personally I think a challenge is a waste of time if it can't be completed in less than 20 hours...I guarantee you it'd take longer than 20 hours if you were only allowed to use HM moves in battle, because of the insane amount of grinding you'd have to do in order to beat the Gym Leaders and E4, not to mention the canon storyline battles with the Rival, and Evil Team(s) of the version.

Additionally there are only 6 rules overall to my challenge, but I spent time to flesh the rules out to explain what to do in different situations.
Zorua
Avant Garde
~~~+~~~

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
.Kaiser
Trainer

How about a challenge like a solo run, but you have 6 of that Pokemon?
I think that you be kinda fun.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:46 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kaiser View Post
How about a challenge like a solo run, but you have 6 of that Pokemon?
I think that you be kinda fun.
I actually thought about doing this at one time, except only with 6 Bibarels/Raticates (one time was blue and one time was diamond). I don't think that it would be a good idea though, because solo runs are hard. You'd just be making the challenge easier if you let them have more pokemon.
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I actually thought about doing this at one time, except only with 6 Bibarels/Raticates (one time was blue and one time was diamond). I don't think that it would be a good idea though, because solo runs are hard. You'd just be making the challenge easier if you let them have more pokemon.
I did that with 6 Bibarel and got bored. It's not a particularly fun challenge imo.

Quote:
...That's a horrible idea really. I considered that myself when composing my post, but I figured that would be far far too difficult since that severely limits the movepool to a tiny percentage. You would not be able to successfully complete the game without a lot of grinding. Most HMs don't do a terrible amount of damage. (You'd need a level 100 Pokemon to clear the e4)
You're forgetting that it's called a challenge for a reason. I had an HM challenge for RSE long ago, but the rules allowed for one non-HM STAB move. For example, I had a Blaziken with Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, and Blaze Kick. All HMs had to be on the team and whoever could learn it had to learn it, unless it would take away your one STAB move.

Quote:
Is there any way to give multiple people the ability to edit the original post on threads? I'm pretty sure moderators can delete messages that they find offensive or spam, but can ordinary people be given some kind of special privilege for certain threads without just making an account for the thread and giving each person the password?
Yeah, I can delete and edit posts, but y'all can't get those editing powers. I personally think it's stupid to make an account for one challenge. What if it falls through? What if one member goes crazy and trolls around the forum? Then you'd all get in trouble. Besides, it's just a challenge. It's not important enough for its own account.

Last edited by Jak; July 5th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
ArcanineOod
DESU.

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ArcanineOod
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack1 View Post
-PMD Rercruit First Poke and use it Challenge
-PMD Nuzlocke Challenge (You can't use "Dead" team members anymore (Partner doesn't count))
I do like the first one, but I, for one, hardly use team members apart from my partner and myself anyway, so it wouldn't bother me very much not being able to use the 'dead' team members.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
shininglatios217
Wayward Son

Nature: Timid
What about a Pokémon Ranger solo run? I mean, only using your partner to catch Pokémon and the rest only to clear targets.

Currently working on a Pokémon Black devamp.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links