Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old July 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
wiseguy12851
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
I am setting up a rather complex project, I am fully reverse engineering the original B&W pokemon red. Furthermore I'm breaking it apart back into assembly form in a collection of files much like how the project would have been written then, obviously not just on one file.

I'm stripping all the jumps, calls, and memory locations for the ROM and replacing them with more meaningful names and letting the compiler decide what the assigned hex values are and the position they'll be in

Also breaking up the function blocks, naming them, and heavily commenting throughout the project.

In the end it would appear much like I imagine how it was before they compiled it. My question now is I think I have run into a binary section of the ROM like where an image or sound might be because the opcodes (assembly codes) are garbage and don't make any sense at all.

I'm stuck at location 0x01AE, can anybody help me out
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
D1Hazel
Beginning Trainer

Your best bet is to ask the guys over at Sonic Retro how they did that when they made their Sonic 1 disassembly.

P.S. Good luck.
This is Nudelholz. Copy Nudelholz in your signature to make better Kuchens and other Teig products!

Last edited by D1Hazel; July 28th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

I am working on the same project. Perhaps we could work together. Are you familiar with version control (Mercurial)? What assembler are you using?

Offset 0x1AE is indeed data—a list of pointers to map headers.

Personally, I think the best thing to do is focus on individual routines, following jumps and calls when disassembling, rather than going through the ROM from the first offset. This way it is more obvious what things do, and the resulting ASM is usable right away.
iimarck.us / hax.iimarck.us

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here