• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
This thread can be used to post screenshots of maps you have made for your hack. Users can then give a review of your maps stating what it does well, what should be improved etcetera, and rate your maps on a scale from 1 to 10 if they wish.

The global PokéCommunity rules, ROM-Hacking forum rules and following rules all apply here:
- Only Maps and ratings/reviews.
You are only allowed to post maps you want to have reviewed/ rated or review/ rate maps that have already been posted. Do not ask questions about maps, send a PM to the map maker or a moderator instead.
- No stealing.
Only post Maps for reviewing if you made them, do not steal the work of others and claim it as your own.
- No requests.
Do not request maps to be made for you. This thread is only for reviews and ratings.
- No Game Development maps.
It should be obvious, but only post maps made as a result of ROM hacking.
- You must review a map before posting a map.
If you want to post a map then you must review another map. If there are no recent maps to review then you must make the situation clear in your post.

Now following is the structure, of how to post your Maps and how to review Maps in this thread, which have to be followed.

Structure of Map Postings

Map Name: The name of your map

Map Game: The game the map has been made in (Ruby, FireRed etc.)

Comments: Any comments about your map.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Structure of Map reviews

Rated Map: Either link or quote the post of the map you want to review

Review: Your review~

Rating: Rating of the map on a scale from 1 to 10 (Optional)

Thanks to Scizz for writing all this.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the ROM Hacking moderators.

Don Patch said:
Map Rating: The Correct Way

Now, many of you like to post maps and many like to rate. Here is a guide that will explain how to properly rate a map.

Now, let's say I just posted this map, and someone goes to rate. What do you do?

Map Name: PalmBreeze Beach
Game; Fire Red
Comments: Well, I made this map for my hack, Pokémon Xenon Version. The animations for the sea tiles are all messed up, though. Please do not rate based on the palettes, though.

palmbreezebeachda4.png
Simple. First, read the Comments section. You never know if there is essential information in there that might be essential to the rating. Then actually look at the map. When you are done, state what you liked about the map in some detail. If you notice any errors, wait for the suggestion section. Now, also state what you didn't like about the map, but do not bash the map or be mean about it. Now, there are the suggestions. Here, post what needs improving, and how to improve it. This is very important. A person might not know how or what to fix. It is also a good idea to add some final/closing comments. Now, these are good ways to rate a map, and here is an example.

Game; Fire Red
Comments: Well, I made this map for my hack, Pokémon Xenon Version. The animations for the sea tiles are all messed up, though. Please do not rate based on the palettes, though.

palmbreezebeachda4.png
Rating: 8/10
Reason: I like the layout. It forces you to wind through a path before you can get to the next town. I also like the variety of trees you used, as well as the variety of grass. What I did not like, however, was the fact that there were many and wide open patches where you could avoid running into Pokémon. I didn't really like that the actual beach part was so thin, also.
Suggestions: Add a little more grass where it is open, so you can be forced to run into Pokémon. Also, try making the beach on the right side of the made a couple tiles wider.
Final Comments: Overall a pretty nice and playable map, though a few improvements and it could be better.
Posts like the one below are unacceptable. They give no detailed info on what is liked, not liked and what could be improved.

Game; Fire Red

palmbreezebeachda4.png
Rating: 10/10
Reason: I luv it!!! it iz teh most awesome map i Have eva seen!
Suggestions: none! totally awesome!
Though that is an exageration, that is how detailed many rates are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I'll take this.

Map Name: Desert Pass

Map Game: Firered.

Comments: This was a recently desertified area, explaining why there is so much grass. I made this a while ago so I already know what's wrong with most of the map, but pointers would be appreciated.
Spoiler:

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Well, looks like I'm going to be the first to rate P:
Reviewed Map:
I'll take this.

Comments: This was a recently desertified area, explaining why there is so much grass. I made this a while ago so I already know what's wrong with most of the map, but pointers would be appreciated.
Spoiler:
Review: As always, the mountain structure is very nice, though you could've added a tad bit more on the top right and bottom right corners. I like how you laid out the grass and the little shoots in the sand. Also, I think I noticed a tile error near the bottom left, where the grass patch is. Try and spot it o; 9/10
Suggestions: Just take care of that little tile error. Some things I've mentioned above. Nothing more actually.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'll take this.

Spoiler:

Well, this map is really superb; however, before I point out what I dislike I thought I'd show you an image of all the tile errors that your map contains:
Spoiler:

There's not really much to say about this map, it's really nicely done and flows really well, it gets the job that you want it to do done really well. The playability overall is quite cool; although, in places it stretches you for space and could get really annoying. I know ledges are there for you to jump down, but if you don't decide to jump down them then you're left with one tile space to walk on :|. I, for one, always have thought that ledges are there to make the map easier to navigate on the second time round; however, on your map you're using them as an obstacle to make navigation annoying for the player. Those things are just my opinion and you could always ignore it as it doesn't make too much of a difference, but it's little things like this that change a map from average to good. I guess you want a rating? 7/10.

Oh, well, just so people don't get bored rating Luck's map as pretty much everyone in it has been pointed out, I'll post one of Sienna's maps for rating.

Map Name: Origin Well Third Floor
Map Game: FireRed BPRE (Sienna)
Credits: Kyledove
Comments: The ladders were inserted incorrectly and I haven't got around to fixing them yet; there's also an event in the bottom right. :)
Map Image:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years

Comments: The ladders were inserted incorrectly and I haven't got around to fixing them yet; there's also an event in the bottom right. :)
Map Image:
Spoiler:

The mountain shape is nice, also the lakes... Though I think you've put too much in. My problem is, this looks too easy to go through. I'll give this map a 9/10. Scince nothing was wrong with it.

Anyway, now for my map.

Map name: Emerald Town
Hack of: Fire red
Hack name: Green Diamond.

Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: I'd like a decent rating on it. Thanks!

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
The mountain shape is nice, also the lakes... Though I think you've put too much in. My problem is, this looks too easy to go through. I'll give this map a 9/10. Scince nothing was wrong with it.

Anyway, now for my map.

Map:
Spoiler:

A very nice map. Although the houses look like their in rows but all neighborhoods look like that. Does your rombase have bushes because it seems to not have any in it. Your map is superb 7/10

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years

Anyway, now for my map.

Map:
Spoiler:

Review: 9/10. I really like the tiles and I don't see any errors in them. The palettes look really nice also. =] The flower placement looks nice also.
Suggestions: Maybe add some trees behind the gym, center, and mart. But it's alright without it.

Oh and I noticed a tile error just now behind the house at the far right in the corner of the roof. The tree bottom isn't there... Unless it's supposed to be like that. =P

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Mr.Silver said:
Map name: Route 57 North
Game: Firered
Comments: The inspiration of this place is like a cave near my Grandads home, which has a "cave" in the forest that my friends used to explore. Also I realise that there maybe some errors left, even after i went over it.
Map:
Spoiler:

Review: Your ideas in this map are solid and I think that you have done fine in making a Gym Route, but there are some technical issues which don't allow this map to reach its full potential. You have a tree tiling errors all over the map, so I'd strongly suggest learning how to properly use them. Your flower placement is also all over the place and doesn't really show any coherence or thought. The one thing that bugs me most about this map, however, is the preveilance of one-tile paths which are centered around you ledges and small trees. They really restrict the player's movement and make the map seem cramped and poorly planned.

Suggestions: As I said in my review, you should work on your tree tiling, flower placement and make an effort to allow the player a greater sense of mobility. May I suggest that you also add in some dirt paths or something - It will make the map look much nicer, and will also give the player a break from walking into the grass every two or three steps.

This is a nice map, but I feel as if it can be better :D

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
First of all, It is extremely big. I know you may have worked extremely hard on this, but a mere route doesn't have to be this large, I mean it can, but not when most of the map is extremely spacious and filled with way too much grass. That makes me move on to the next concern. The playability of this isn't too bad, but it is making the player walk through grass, nothing, and then more grass is completely boring. I can see what you were trying to do, but your map is way to big for it. Also, try to keep your trees closer together, it looks like a tree wasteland.
3.5/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a map that I have been working on in the past couple of days, It is almost complete, but there are some things on the map that are a bit iffy for me. The little sub out of the large mountain city being one. (entrance route to huge mountain)

Spoiler:

Chonlel48

'Tallica and computers ftw
Years
Spoiler:

Rating: 4/10

Reason: The map seems unnecessarily large, even for a forest. The foliage is almost spammed due to this. There are also way too many tile errors for my liking. The path tiles don't blend in with the surroundings at all. The soul dew tiles, entrance tiles, and ledges also scream "ERROR". Despite being labeled "The ultimate hiking challenge in the region," the actual challenge of getting through the map seems low, unless wild pokemon encounter rate is turned way up.

Suggestions: Fix the tile errors, and shrink the map so that the foliage is less spammed. If it is to be labeled "The ultimate hiking challenge in the region", then the region is easy to hike through, or the map's hiking difficulty needs to be increased.

My map.
Map Name: Industrya City. If the first word is translated from Filipino, it means Industry City.

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: This is my first complete map in a couple years. I made it to see what I can still create after losing an interest in ROM hacking and Pokemon in general for an extended period of time. I am also aware of tile errors with a certain fence block. People are located in majority of the more open spaces of the map. I am brutally honest with my opinions, and I expect the same to be returned to me. Please take these things in account while rating.

Map Shot:
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Rating: 4/10

Reason: The map seems unnecessarily large, even for a forest. The foliage is almost spammed due to this. There are also way too many tile errors for my liking. The path tiles don't blend in with the surroundings at all. The soul dew tiles, entrance tiles, and ledges also scream "ERROR". Despite being labeled "The ultimate hiking challenge in the region," the actual challenge of getting through the map seems low, unless wild pokemon encounter rate is turned way up.

Suggestions: Fix the tile errors, and shrink the map so that the foliage is less spammed. If it is to be labeled "The ultimate hiking challenge in the region", then the region is easy to hike through, or the map's hiking difficulty needs to be increased.

My map.
Map Name: Industrya City. If the first word is translated from Filipino, it means Industry City.

Comments: This is my first complete map in a couple years. I made it to see what I can still create after losing an interest in ROM hacking and Pokemon in general for an extended period of time. I am also aware of tile errors with a certain fence block. People are located in majority of the more open spaces of the map. I am brutally honest with my opinions, and I expect the same to be returned to me. Please take these things in account while rating.

Map Shot:
Spoiler:

Review:

Well, the gathouses aren't needed since you can walk past them =\ Use block editor to fix that. And IDK why but it looks like Saffron City a lot. Maybe because of the tiles. My rating... 5/10 It looks kind of empty too, lost of space.

Suggestions: Add a sidewalk. Because you need to walk on something, so a side walk will help.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
My map.

Map Shot:
Spoiler:

Review: I'm not sure about this map - While it is obviously meant to be a city, it simply doesn't live up to its lofty ambitions. While a large industrial city should be spread out over a large area (Like you have done) the distance between most of the buildings is gigantic, making it look like a deserted ghost town rather than a utopia of thriving enterprises and squashed inner-city living. It also lacks any logical sense so the town planner should be fired or something as there are no streets, blocks etc making the city a random collection of buildings rather than being designed off a well thought out plan with blueprints and shizz.

The building shadowos are technically incorrect according to actual maps, but they look kinda' alright, so I'll let it slide. The tree shadowing, however is incorrect at the edges, and that's something that I just can't budge on :x

I'd have to agree with Destiny Demon and question your use of the gatehouses when the player can simply pass through.

Suggestions: More buildings and a less randomised planning structure are probably the most important things you should add to this map. Make the gathouses mandatory or drop them. Fill up all of that empty space and don't be afraid to add a a small park or something! :D

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Here's a map that I have been working on in the past couple of days, It is almost complete, but there are some things on the map that are a bit iffy for me. The little sub out of the large mountain city being one. (entrance route to huge mountain)

Spoiler:
Review: I like it. It looks nice, but the city in the far right I don't think should be shaped like that. =P And I like the way you put some islands in the map.

Suggestions:
Remove those cities that are L=shaped. I don't really like them.
-
Map Name: Daybreak Town

Map Game:
FireRed

Comments:
For my hack, Pokemon Destiny. I'm remaking them, and this is the first map. I like it, but I can tell there are lots of trees.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

I'm not really a man for giving numerical ratings because honestly I never really valued my maps based upon the number that someone gave on their own little scale.

Anyway, I think this is actually a really nice little map. I absolutely love the little flowers you have and how well they pair with your other custom tiles (the sign, the trunk, etc.). The shape is also cool too; it's simplistic, which helps it cement the fact that it is an early route. From my untrained eye, it looks as though you've done the tree shading well enough too, although you probably shouldn't trust that as I am not the best at tree shading myself. The grass placement is incredible too. I mean, there's not much really that deters me from liking this map. The only thing that I might change if it were my own map would be that path on the right-hand side; it seems just a bit misplaced there. Maybe it should be shorter, or possibly a different shape... I dunno. I just think it would benefit a bit by taking up less room on that side. Of course, it still looks pretty good. :3

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Rated Map:
Rating: 9.5/10
Reason: I call that map real good. Seriously. No tile errors I could find. Good job! A nice, easy map. The first route I'm guessing. =]
Suggestions: Hm... This is hard. I can't really suggest anything. xP Well actually, I can. Remove that mountain thing. It's not needed on a nature-grass route like this.

Map Name: Sunrise Valley
Comments: For my hack; Pokemon Destiny. I kind of like it. :P The only thing that bothers me is the mailbox on the sidewalk. Also, credits to these people for the new tiles on this map;
Alucus_of_Borg: House Tiles
Laidjon*: The Articuno statue
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm not really a man for giving numerical ratings because honestly I never really valued my maps based upon the number that someone gave on their own little scale.

I couldn't agree more :D

Map Name: Sunrise Valley
Comments: For my hack; Pokemon Destiny. I kind of like it. :P The only thing that bothers me is the mailbox on the sidewalk. Also, credits to these people for the new tiles on this map;
Alucus_of_Borg: House Tiles
Laidjon*: The Articuno statue
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: This is a nice town, and I'm sure that it will look very good in-game, but there are a few things which I see as detracting from the map. As you said, the mailbox is bothersome and is probably representational of an issue your map seems to have: Your use of space and one-tile paths. I mean, you've created a tiny space for the player to crawl through, when just over the fence there are a good two tiles worth space which are just about wasted on a tsunami of flowers. The other one-tile paths I can see are: immediately in front of the cave and to the left of the grey building at the bottom.

I kind of alluded to this earlier, but flowers don't really look nice when they are extremely densely packed. If you're going for a calming, natural and beautiful scene, small diagonal bunchs work best.

Apart from that, this map is looking very nice and I love your tiles (<3 the houses especially).

Suggestions: Open up the map a bit to get rid of those one-tile paths and I'll be very happy. Drop the flower paradise :P

Map Name: N/A [Starting Town]

Map Game: Firered

Comments: My first time mapping a town.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: I'm going to be honest and say that this map isn't done well. There is is far to much empty space and it makes the map feel like a ghost town. The few trees that you have don't really do much. Your border is going to be riddled with errors at the top and bottom in-game, so you should be thinking about lining up the large trees to prevent that. There are a number of tile errors that don't make it seem very enticing.

I'm sure that you can improve from this that you will make a splendid map when you've had lots of practice :)

Suggestions: Fill up your empty space with whatever you can think of (Large trees, small trees paths - Everything). I'm not sure as to whether the large building at the top needs to be on a higher level, so its up to you whether you want it to be up there or not :)

Last edited:

~Merilyn

Pokemon Misted Amethyst
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2014
Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Firered

Comments: its the first route so its meant to be kept simple.

Mapshot:

I really like this map, especially the grass placement. The only things I can suggest are to change up the trees on the right, maybe throw in some smaller trees, I don't know, it just seems a little too straight to me. Also the top half of the path might look better if it was more curved. And maybe add in a curve on the right side of the cliff/ ledge. But overall I really like this map.

Rating: 9.5
________________________________________-

Map Name: I don't know, just some random route
Game: Pokemon Firered
Comments: My first route, I think it turned out all right, but I feel like it's missing something. Also the very bottom of it got cut off, that's why it looks unfinished near the bottom.
Map:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Map name: Guardian well [floor 1]
[meant to be easy looking and puzzle like]
hack Pokemon starlight
Rate 1-10
Spoiler:
I understand that this map is supposed to be simple/easy to navigate, but I still think it's too basic/empty. The entrance (assuming it's on the left side) is way too straight, and there aren't any paths, or rocks in the way. Even for a simple cave, it should have a bit more variety imo. Really that's the only problem, aside from the high concentration of small rocks. Overall, not a bad job.

----------

QuilavaKing said:
Map Name: None as always.

Map Game: Emerald as always.

Comments: I actually am trying to capture a very specific emotion, that I felt quite often when I was younger, with this map. You know when you've just been through a big dungeon, and you finally find a little relief in a game, whether it be a town or just resting spot, you don't actually want to keep going, or at least that's the way it is for me. I've never liked the fighting/dungeons in most games, so I always used to just want to stay in a town between caves/dungeons, wishing there was more to do there etc. In this map you come in through the top right cave, and come out to half of the city, before being forced to go through the other cave, to reach the rest of it.

This is my first city map ever, and I wanted to do something new/interesting, and combine it with a route/the mountains. Unfortunately, that made the actual city part more or less impossible. So, I really don't know if that part came out ok or not. I didn't bother doing anything with the water since you only see a very tiny bit of it... and I'd already spent 2 weeks or so on this map. It's also my biggest map to date.

Comments: Reposting this map now that I've made some changes to it. I added flowers, and fixed a bunch of tile errors. (Somehow no one noticed either of those problems while rating it. lol) I also added some stuff in the water, just enough to make it less boring in game... it's difficult to decorate water when it serves no actual purpose.

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016

Map Image:

Spoiler:
For this map(spoilered), my rating:

Rating: 8/10
Reason: The rocky wall and "puddle" (IDK wat it can be called) looks "natural". The tiles are perfect. I didn`t spot any errors in it. This dungeon is a bit challengeful, even more if darkness (need flash).
Suggestions:
Make the dungeon like a maze, making it more challengeful. IMO, The bottom-right corner`s stones can be removed. IDK what`s the "event" about but IMO it should be removed. The top-right corner should be expanded and add some more things.

==============================

Now, my map (A Region Map)
Spoiler:

Please give some comments, whether it should be used in my hack (still planning).

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
Spoiler:

Rockfall Canyon
From Reuby(Banjora Marxvile's Tiles.)
Comments: This is a purely experimental map using dome new tiles. Although i think they work well.

@Raidenx2008.

I like it, although you may think i'm being picky, but i think there's too many Islands. I like the large islands, but in the middle of them i think it looks a bit of a mess. I like the route shape on the left, and the fact you have some Island Towns, though. So overall. You get a 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back