• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephirothX

a.k.a. Shadomew
Years
@raidenx2008:
Rating: 7/10

Comments: Interesting region, there. I'm interested to see how the game would lead you through it. The presence of three separate regions plus a chain of islands is intriguing.

Suggestions: The arrangement of the routes in relation to the islands seems a little odd. The big island on the right connects to the other two by going around the chain islands, yet the only way to get between that large island on the right and the smaller ones is to take one of the routes halfway to one of the other large islands, then turn off that path. I think the region would flow a bit better (and I'm totally assuming what direction the story would lead you in; maybe this won't work for you) like this:
Spoiler:

Maybe I'm just stuck on this kind of thinking because I'm used to all Pokémon games, inlcuding ROM hacks, being very linear and having regions that make that easy. If you're taking a more 'open-world' approach, then kudos to you for breaking the mold. If not, it just seems a little off.

Spoiler:

Rockfall Canyon
From Reuby(Banjora Marxvile's Tiles.)
Comments: This is a purely experimental map using dome new tiles. Although i think they work well.

Rating: 8/10

Comments: Definitely a strong map. It's simple, but seems effective. I assume the old man at the top is linked to an event?
The tileset is neat. My one complaint about the tiles is that the snow has very little contrast between the shades of white (or maybe that's just this monitor...); I couldn't see the detail of the snow (on the ground) without messing with the contrast settings.

Suggestions: Just some tileset errors I noticed (or they might be intentional, I don't know):
Spoiler:

I think the areas I circled in red would look a bit better if you used the tiles I circled in green instead. The tiles in red would look good if the tiles above were pretty much any other color, but with snow above, the little bits of brown stand out a bit much.

I'll post an ice maze I've been working on in a few days, after I've had a little time to do some touch-ups.

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
I understand that this map is supposed to be simple/easy to navigate, but I still think it's too basic/empty. The entrance (assuming it's on the left side) is way too straight, and there aren't any paths, or rocks in the way. Even for a simple cave, it should have a bit more variety imo. Really that's the only problem, aside from the high concentration of small rocks. Overall, not a bad job.

----------

Comments: Reposting this map now that I've made some changes to it. I added flowers, and fixed a bunch of tile errors. (Somehow no one noticed either of those problems while rating it. lol) I also added some stuff in the water, just enough to make it less boring in game... it's difficult to decorate water when it serves no actual purpose.

Your right it is hard to decorate water when you can't reach it >_<
It's a very good map indeed. I like how it's layed out. This kinda shocked me because there was grass in a city. But since your striving for something different I guess it was ok.
This map is pretty much better then all the maps I've created. I'm not a very good mapper.
8.7/10

Now for my map.
In attachments.

Comments:

I Don't really expect high ratings from this map, well because it was hard squeezing 3 houses into a mountain. This place is called MT. Pallet for Quaz's hacking team. It's not my best I'll tell you that. Ther'es something that doesn't feel right like I'm missing something. I know I put a lot of flowers and stuff. Hit me with you best shot with the rating.

My Rating:
3/10
Yep I'll don't like it too much.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years

Rated Map:

Map Name: Origin Well Third Floor
Map Game: FireRed BPRE (Sienna)
Credits: Kyledove
Comments: The ladders were inserted incorrectly and I haven't got around to fixing them yet; there's also an event in the bottom right. :)
Map Image:
Spoiler:

Reason: I like the map overall, but I think it would be better if it was a bit more maze-like.

Suggestions:
Make it slightly more maze-like ;)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Map Name: Serenity Village

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: It's the starter town for my hack. I know there are tile errors on the house, but they won't be there when I insert tiles. I'm just looking for CC on the layout.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016

Rated Map:

Reason: I like the map overall, but I think it would be better if it was a bit more maze-like.

Suggestions:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments: It's the starter town for my hack. I know there are tile errors on the house, but they won't be there when I insert tiles. I'm just looking for CC on the layout.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
CC:
For starters you need to add flowers and bushes. Most maps have flowers and bushes. You have a tile error with the face meeting the house. Your tree shading is pretty good. The Path isn't so good because it basicly goes for the whole map. The water map is connect to another area? For wat I see those types of water don't go to other areas.

Rating:
6/10

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011

Rated Map:

Suggestions:

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Instead of text ratings. I like marking the tile errors then giving a rating on a scale of 0 to 5.

4/5 Pretty good as I assume you are new.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years

Rated Map:
Spoiler:

Reason: It's a great map, but there are a few things bugging me.

Suggestions:
The thing that's bugging me is the contrast between the two textures of snow, really.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
So, I took in some of the CC on my map, and I changed some things.

Comments: I changed some palettes, and got rid of the green grass. (although not entirely). The water is part of a lake, and It's not a water route. And to be honest, I don't really like those flowers much......

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

ase

learning How to Hack
Years

Rated Map:
Spoiler:

Reason: It's a great map, but there are a few things bugging me.

Suggestions:
The thing that's bugging me is the contrast between the two textures of snow, really.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
So, I took in some of the CC on my map, and I changed some things.

Comments: I changed some palettes, and got rid of the green grass. (although not entirely). The water is part of a lake, and It's not a water route. And to be honest, I don't really like those flowers much......

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Rating: 6.7/10
Reason: It's a decent map but its pretty bland.
Suggestions: Add more foilage to it and a puddle wouldn't hurt much either.

Map Name: Unnamed
Map Game: Fire red
Credits: Disturbed
Comments: Just a practice map.
Map shot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:

Mapshot:

Spoiler:
Review: This map isn't that bad... but you'll have border problems unless there is a map south of this map. And some parts of the sidewalk is bigger than others, which is bad. Especially the part where you don't have room to add another corner. And those three trees look random.
Suggestions: Make the side walk look equal, and add some flowers near the top part of the map.

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016

Rating: 3/10
Comments: This map is very, very squarish. The houses have NO space at all. The only good thing about this map is the tiles and palletes.
Moving on...
Name: Route 1
ROM: FireRed
Hack: Fury of Shadows
Credits:
/Circa- For creating the base ROMBase (XD)
Manipulation- Creating the secendary ROMBase
And to the people who made the tiles.
Map:
Spoiler:

Self comments: Basically it's a training route at the start of the game. There's an event to get Torchic here9 Not going into tiny details. XD
Review: Indeed I do like the tiles, but there is a problem :(
The mountain cannot be grass and mountain in the same level. It looks unnatural. The ledge in the middle is wierd unless the torchich event is there. Add bushes to the map. I notice that in your map. At the left I suggest just a little more rocks. Also, there is a little too much grass, There isn't much room to without grass.
Suggestions: In the Review
Rating: 6.6/10

Now for my map in the attachments.
Map Name: MT. Pallet
Rom Base: Ruby
Credits: Reck and Banjora
Comments: Well I posted another map that wasn't rated so, I already updated it, so might as well post the better version of the map. Please give my map a rating and hit with your best shot because I will improve it.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Chaos190 said:
Now for my map in the attachments.
Comments: Well I posted another map that wasn't rated so, I already updated it, so might as well post the better version of the map. Please give my map a rating and hit with your best shot because I will improve it.
Review: I like this map - Its nice, simple and pretty cool. The flowers are nicely placed and the paths are done very well. The only real thing that bugs me is the one-tile paths created by the sign next to the lab and the staircase down the mountain

Other than that, this is a very good map which would be great ingame :)

Suggestions: Change the positioning of the lab's sign and widen the staicase.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Rating: 6.7/10
Reason: It's a decent map but its pretty bland.
Suggestions: Add more foilage to it and a puddle wouldn't hurt much either.

Map Name: Unnamed
Map Game: Fire red
Credits: Disturbed
Comments: Just a practice map.
Map shot:
Spoiler:

Everything is too square. The paths are too square, the mountains, the trees. Add a bit of freehand mapping to these, make them as randomly shaped and free as possible. Flowers are better spread randomly, not all in a pattern (well.. Unless that pattern is pretty, not a block in the middle, and a line at the top). I'd try to make this map a little less square, and the free space is... Weird. Some bits seem too narrow to me, whereas others are too big.

However, there are no errors I can see (well... Other than border block, but I don't think you can see it in this map). Well, there is one, on the mountains, look near the top edge. That can be fixed. But... Yeah. Fix that error, make the map more random for trees, mountains and paths, and definitely flowers, and don't add the same type of buildings in a row. Mix and match. Make the buildings be placed with variety, if you could?

5/10 (As the map is playable, only a few issues. Fix these, it will go higher)

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
errr i did Spoiler it. :/

My review:

While i can't see anything wrong with it, theres the devil of the single tile walkway, which i wouldnt care about, but it's the only way of accessing the area.

The tiles ae nice as theyre the ones i've adopted ^^.

While i can't see anything majorly wrong, its nothing special so i feel it's deserving of the mark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Northwest Route 1
Game: Hyacinth
COmments: You enter at the bottom. Top left route leads to a bypass of the next town. Top right and center leads to the next town. In the middle is a forest dungeon.
Here's your spoiler...
Spoiler:

SephirothX

a.k.a. Shadomew
Years
Name: Northwest Route 1
Game: Hyacinth
COmments: You enter at the bottom. Top left route leads to a bypass of the next town. Top right and center leads to the next town. In the middle is a forest dungeon.
Here's your spoiler...
Spoiler:
Rating: 8.5/10
C&C: Very well executed. It's an enormous map, but it's neither complicated to the point of frustration nor too open to be interesting. If I were to change one thing, I'd make the tall grass a little less uniform. Make some random one-or-two-tile patches of short grass where the tall grass is and some patches of tall grass where there isn't any. Just a few to give it a more natural feel.

--------------------------------------------------

Map: Destiny Cave (working title)
Hack: Iolite (not enough progress to post on PC yet...)
ROM Base: Ruby (U) [AVXE]
Comments: It's an ice maze. I LOOOOOOVE making ice mazes. This one is the most difficult I've done so far. (Ignore Groudon, he's a placeholder for a different Pokémon. ^^)
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Comments: It's an ice maze. I LOOOOOOVE making ice mazes. This one is the most difficult I've done so far. (Ignore Groudon, he's a placeholder for a different Pokémon. ^^)
Spoiler:
Review: Wow! That cave looks good. I would like to go in there. =D And Groudon is a placeholder? It better be. It wouldn't like the icyness of the cave. And the thing that bothers me is that random mountain on the left bottom corner side. :( It's random.
Suggestions: Remove that random mountain in the left bottom corner.

Map Name: Route 301
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: This map I made for fun. Credits to Kyledove and Alucus for tiles ~
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
Mapshot:
[/FONT]
Spoiler:

From the name of the route, and the way it looks I am assuming it is a very minor beginning route, am I correct?

From that assumption I will give it a 9/10.

The tiles and palettes are very nice.
For a beginning route it is very simple, just like they should be. It's easy on the eyes, and has a simple layout. It also looks like it will be a route that you rarely use.

Simplicity is good in the right place.

The only suggestion I have is to make it longer and add another patch of grass.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
Rated Map:
Mapshot:
[/FONT]
Spoiler:

Rating: 10/10

Reason: That is a beginning route, no? It is very simple like an early route and has a great tileset. I especially like the grass. Nice job.

Suggestions: I don't think there is any need for improvment.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Underwater City

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: It is a city that is underwater. I couldn't fix the green grass around the buildings without messing up the buildings everywhere else.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: While this is suppossed to be a simple map, I get the feeling that it is to simple. Your general construction of the map is good, but I really feel like you've made it bland by using the path tiles in an unbroken line across the entire map. You can keep the top part easy, but that doesn't mean it has to be bland :)

Suggestions: Break up the path and add in some features like small trees, more grass and flowers through out the map (Particularly across the top).

Map Name: Underwater City

Comments: It is a city that is underwater. I couldn't fix the green grass around the buildings without messing up the buildings everywhere else.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: I'm afraid that this map isn't that great - There is almost nothing going on and the map itself is big and empty. I know there aren't many underwater tiles, but that is all the more reason to make this type of map more interesting. Add is some tower cliffs, deep chasms, out-of-bounds seaweed - Anything to make this map look fun and exciting.

I'm not sure how you are suppossed to use the mart or Pokemon Centre as the small ledges prevent access. You should definately rethink this part of your mapping.

Suggestions: As I said, shake up the map - Think of something you can put in it, and do it. Please move or remove the small ledges, they are more of a hindrance than a help.

If you do those things and incorporate a little bit of imagination, you may have an excellent map on your hands :D

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
Rated Map:
Spoiler:

Reason: Pretty Good map. Nice maze. Looks pretty tough

Suggestions: Maybe a few less rocks?

Map Name: Underwater City (new)

Comments: I've completely redone it from scratch and want to know what you think. And the grass has no pokemon data, it's just for decoration.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
Rated Map:

Reason: Pretty Good map. Nice maze. Looks pretty tough

Suggestions: Maybe a few less rocks?

Map Name: Underwater City (new)

Comments: I've completely redone it from scratch and want to know what you think.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Off-Topic why do you rate all the other maps 10/10 you need to give solid feedback >_< It's more Generic the way you rate it.

Review: Wild Underwater grass in an underwater city?
Underwater cites I think don't fit well with games at all. The tiles unless you've done correctly coloring it over won't look good. All the houses don't look good at all.

Suggestions: I don't think anyone should do underwater cites. Try a different approach on maps not these underwater maps. Try routes to start out before you go to difficult maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back