The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #101    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:34 AM
countryemo's Avatar
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleroot Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoman View Post
Ok, no, that looks terrible. Heres an idea. Pegasus plus Rapidash. (with fire wings maybe)I have no idea what that was.
I think they was going towards a warior horse type pokemon?
(plus they said male alt) The pegasus route is to common and most wished. what your describing is already made. (like by fans) i think the concept that their trying is quite good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
Those aren't sprites it's crap that was made in MSPaint, notice how everyone else's fakemon has shading and lighting, a specific type of outline? Try and replicate it, and make sure you do GEN 4 style to match your game.
He's learning, no ones so good when the begin. The things that i notice is that it isnt in much of a pokemon style. concepts redo is good, but it also lacks the feel, but if you like that style it goes good. Also poeman, sprites are most commonly made in MSpaint. no fancy needed =]
Sure there shading and lighting aint the best, there aint much constrast between the colors too. (contact me, i might help if need.) the line art is nice and smooth, its a good start.

Worldmap: with some stuff moved aroun, and with change it the routes and shape i think the desert/snow could work. but i think it would be best in tile selection if you use part snow/ like its kinda melty but still there?

also to everyone complaining, the map is in a pokemon game, by no means if it is in the same map does it mean that they are close togather. Also in someplaces like mountain divides? (Washington lets say?) there is snow, like piles but ehen you go a little farther down the munntain on the east side it gets hotter. hope this gets clear. the geographical and climate i just describe is common as mountains, yadayada.

[longest comment i have ever wrote]
I wish you luck with this game.
so your using kyle/sinnoh?
hm im not sure if this is the great choice, but me im not a huge fan, they look great but common, lol.
the first town (if you stil using that desgin on page t2) you should just see a beach or something, those beach patches seem unplaced. (i understand in some cases it looks good like in real life, but here.)

[this post had to be made ]
__________________
PC Mentions: Best Little Sister ever | Credits | My Amazing Pair

  #102    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Poeman
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 19
Gender: Male
I can't see effort in that sprite, which is why I don't consider it a sprite, I'm sorry but if you're learning look up some spriting tutorials, look at other sprites, and do your best.
  #103    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
countryemo's Avatar
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleroot Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
I can't see effort in that sprite, which is why I don't consider it a sprite, I'm sorry but if you're learning look up some spriting tutorials, look at other sprites, and do your best.
Depends on the style your going for
the official pokemon aint the only way to go, everyones allowed to do a style. im sorry you dont like it
I agree it needs some work, but they got other spriters?
just hope this games gets a lil far before dying lol.....

__________________
PC Mentions: Best Little Sister ever | Credits | My Amazing Pair

  #104    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
Thanks Guys for the feedback.
@countryemo: thanks for the feedback but actually im using Neo-spritemans HGSS tilesets.
and yes thanks for offering to help PM me what yu can do.

@Poeman: yes the sprites where a little bit of a rush jod so i agree with you on that, but do you know any, god and strong detailed tuts?
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #105    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
countryemo's Avatar
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleroot Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Aw yes i love his tilesets :D lol,,

As far as tuts go, i recomend chesu's in should be in the pixel section somewhere
__________________
PC Mentions: Best Little Sister ever | Credits | My Amazing Pair

  #106    
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Poeman
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 19
Gender: Male
They have a 4th gen styled game so their locked into 4th gen styled sprites.
Please stop calling it a sprite it honestly makes me cringe.
  #107    
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
yes that cat pokemon was a result of that tut. countryemo.
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #108    
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
countryemo's Avatar
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleroot Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
O_o yikes

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=108209
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=198135

Merge theese with that tut, and practice practice!
thats most i can help at this point with this isssue
As for other tuts besdies theese links if those helps, you can try google
__________________
PC Mentions: Best Little Sister ever | Credits | My Amazing Pair

  #109    
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
AceDragonite's Avatar
AceDragonite
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold

Okay I did this from scratch first time no tuts, so I'm pretty sure I did horribly, but hey I'm open to criticism. and @tomatoman the fakemon I did earlier wasn't suposed to be an evo of rapidash it was an alt of ponyta
__________________
pocket monster trainer
  #110    
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM
brokenxnote's Avatar
brokenxnote
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post

Okay I did this from scratch first time no tuts, so I'm pretty sure I did horribly, but hey I'm open to criticism. and @tomatoman the fakemon I did earlier wasn't suposed to be an evo of rapidash it was an alt of ponyta
Wait...it's supposed to be a sprite?
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
250 pixels too wide.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
  #111    
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
AceDragonite's Avatar
AceDragonite
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Idk I'm not the spriter, just don't mind that XD.
Anyway the Fire Horse was a male alt of Ponyta based on an Appaloosa.

Also I thought I should show you concept art for Cryozard, I seem to be improving....(oh and I know I screwed up with the legs.

__________________
pocket monster trainer

Last edited by AceDragonite; August 18th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
  #112    
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
tomatoman's Avatar
tomatoman
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY,NY
Gender: Male
Cringe
Wow, that is not great... if its your first go at drawing Cryozard, the n I guess it makes sense. Go back and fix it, do a couple of sketches and designs see which ones are good and build on them. My advice as an artist...
Also, Cryo is freezing, so im assuming hes an ice type, he doesnt look like one. he looks like rockdragon
__________________
Working on Elemon Dusk! Just working on maps and events on RMXP. Demo will be out soon!
http://www.elemonazure.webs.com

  #113    
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
Okay Here Is My Problem i'll explain in detail so next person to read this and they know how to solve please tell me.

Problem: okay so when i want the game to start in 240x160 i edit the sprite resizer part and delete the option. but when i run the game it stays changes the screen size but the game is still big how do i solve this?

Problem2: some of my tilesets messup when i make the map and they don't let you pass?

Question: How do i make a forest dark like it's raining but without the rain so it's shadowey and yeah.

- Pichuichu
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #114    
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
tomatoman's Avatar
tomatoman
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY,NY
Gender: Male
Problem 1 i cant understand wut your saying

Problem 2 Go to the Database and slect on the side Passabletiles. O is passable, X is unpassable

Question Just take the tilesets and darken them with paint.net
__________________
Working on Elemon Dusk! Just working on maps and events on RMXP. Demo will be out soon!
http://www.elemonazure.webs.com

  #115    
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
How do i resize the screen to 240x160?

and that doesn't work i already know that but when i add it sometimes it glitches and makes passable inpassable in game!
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #116    
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
AceDragonite's Avatar
AceDragonite
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoman View Post
Cringe
Wow, that is not great... if its your first go at drawing Cryozard, the n I guess it makes sense. Go back and fix it, do a couple of sketches and designs see which ones are good and build on them. My advice as an artist...
Also, Cryo is freezing, so im assuming hes an ice type, he doesnt look like one. he looks like rockdragon

okay I don't understand whats wrong with it other than the legs and the stuff on its arms and tail are shards of ice.
__________________
pocket monster trainer
  #117    
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
lmao this thread made me laugh.... especially this
Quote:
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013
  #118    
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
brokenxnote's Avatar
brokenxnote
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post
okay I don't understand whats wrong with it other than the legs and the stuff on its arms and tail are shards of ice.
Um, lack of perspective, lack of proper anatomy [even by Pokemon standards], and it's not exactly clear that those are shards of ice, since they're just triangles. And what are the circles then? And weren't you the one who posted Rappalooza too? That one needs a whole new design since it doesn't even look like it's related to the Ponyta family, the way you have it drawn.

Basically, if you're this game's Fakemon designer, you need to improve your drawing. Like, a lot. And I don't really see where you got the idea "I think I'm improving." I'm not trying to be mean or put you down or anything, but there was definitely not enough time for you to have practiced and improved between that drawing and the last one you posted. You have to practice more than a few days or weeks. Actually, there may be some improvement after weeks, but not very much improvement was made here...

Practice, practice, practice, is all I can say here.
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
250 pixels too wide.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
  #119    
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
AceDragonite's Avatar
AceDragonite
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenxnote View Post
Um, lack of perspective, lack of proper anatomy [even by Pokemon standards], and it's not exactly clear that those are shards of ice, since they're just triangles. And what are the circles then? And weren't you the one who posted Rappalooza too? That one needs a whole new design since it doesn't even look like it's related to the Ponyta family, the way you have it drawn.

Basically, if you're this game's Fakemon designer, you need to improve your drawing. Like, a lot. And I don't really see where you got the idea "I think I'm improving." I'm not trying to be mean or put you down or anything, but there was definitely not enough time for you to have practiced and improved between that drawing and the last one you posted. You have to practice more than a few days or weeks. Actually, there may be some improvement after weeks, but not very much improvement was made here...

Practice, practice, practice, is all I can say here.

okay well I don't understand what is wrong with the anatomy, and the circles were just to give it some design. And if you hate my art that much, why are you still commenting on it?
__________________
pocket monster trainer
  #120    
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:11 AM
brokenxnote's Avatar
brokenxnote
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post
okay well I don't understand what is wrong with the anatomy, and the circles were just to give it some design. And if you hate my art that much, why are you still commenting on it?
I'd like for you to point out where I said "liek ohemgee, i hatez ur artz. draw yer pitchurz liek ken sugomoree, n00b >." If you just go ahead and point that little segment of what I typed out for me, it'll really clear up why you're assuming I hate your art.

Not once did I say I hated your art. You asked what was wrong with it, I told you. Look at Pokemon art, or Fakemon and you'll see that I meant the proportions aren't right for your drawing if you're going for a dragon Fakemon. THAT'S what's wrong with the anatomy.

Assuming someone hates your art just because they don't patronize you and say "OH WOW, YOUR DRAWING IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT 8D" is not the way you improve the drawing. I was giving constructive criticism, and seeing as you're in the Drawing Board section, criticism is to be expected. To answer your butthurt sounding question: I'm commenting on it to try and help you improve it. Now goodnight or goodday, or whatever it is where you're at. I'mma go handle some other affairs for a while since I won't fall asleep for about another 2 hours from now at 4 am.
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
250 pixels too wide.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
  #121    
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
tnguye3's Avatar
tnguye3
Very, very, very lazy spriter.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my dreams
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Maybe we should approach this differently:
Hey there Ace!
When brokenxnote was talking about the anatomy, I think he meant that the picture looks too flat and well, unbalanced let's say. It's hard for me to explain.
Also I do agree that the ice shards don't look like ice, I thought they were scales till I read the comments. I assumed the circles on the legs were spikes since the legs also had 2 pairs of spikes sticking outwards.
In words it's reaaally hard for me to point things out, especially since it's about anatomy, all I can say that it looks flat and unbalanced. My vocabulary is limited when it comes down to critiques. xD
Moving on...
Since I can't explain it in words I just did a quick sketch of your Cryozard.

Sorry for the low quality, my computer has gone bonkers and is sleeping in the rehabilitation center, so I had to use motion eye for this but anyways.
I'm assuming this is pretty much Cryozard? I dunno, it's your concept, but I tried to make it look as close to the original as possible so you could use this to help or something. Anyways.

Here're the rules I always stuck to when I first started drawing:
Pokemon are polygons.
Use guidelines to draw arms - circles to draw the body, something like this:

You can see there are a lot of circles joined by lines. If you do this, your fakemon will look more, let's say natural.
The lines don't have to all be exactly the same length for both arms, but pretty much close to each other. It all comes down to perspective, and as you practise, it'll come naturally, so like brokenxnote said: practise, practise, practise! ('''\(=^.^=)/''')
I hope this kinda helped.
__________________
  #122    
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
Name:  pokabu backsprite..png
Views: 91
Size:  931 BytesOkay Guys in the attachemtns there is a pixel art pokabu backsprite from a battle screenies of pokemon black tell me if it is good.
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #123    
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
brokenxnote's Avatar
brokenxnote
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnguye3 View Post
Maybe we should approach this differently:
Hey there Ace!
When brokenxnote was talking about the anatomy, I think he meant that the picture looks too flat and well, unbalanced let's say. It's hard for me to explain.
Also I do agree that the ice shards don't look like ice, I thought they were scales till I read the comments. I assumed the circles on the legs were spikes since the legs also had 2 pairs of spikes sticking outwards.
In words it's reaaally hard for me to point things out, especially since it's about anatomy, all I can say that it looks flat and unbalanced. My vocabulary is limited when it comes down to critiques. xD
Moving on...
Since I can't explain it in words I just did a quick sketch of your Cryozard.

Sorry for the low quality, my computer has gone bonkers and is sleeping in the rehabilitation center, so I had to use motion eye for this but anyways.
I'm assuming this is pretty much Cryozard? I dunno, it's your concept, but I tried to make it look as close to the original as possible so you could use this to help or something. Anyways.

Here're the rules I always stuck to when I first started drawing:
Pokemon are polygons.
Use guidelines to draw arms - circles to draw the body, something like this:

You can see there are a lot of circles joined by lines. If you do this, your fakemon will look more, let's say natural.
The lines don't have to all be exactly the same length for both arms, but pretty much close to each other. It all comes down to perspective, and as you practise, it'll come naturally, so like brokenxnote said: practise, practise, practise! ('''\(=^.^=)/''')
I hope this kinda helped.
Haha, thanks for the backup. I was thinking about re-drawing it to show what I meant, but now I don't have to 8D LMAO xD. And seriously, your style is starting to look REALLY close to Sugimori on certain drawings . Some Fakemon, not really, but for a lot of em, they look really close.
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
250 pixels too wide.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
  #124    
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Pichuichu's Avatar
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isshu-Huin City
Gender: Male
Yep I Agree With All Of Thats.
__________________

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.



My Da Account ->here<-
  #125    
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Poeman
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Who made that sprite? That's definitely not from a screenshot.
Also your team section, When did concept and countryemo state they were on the team? Also didn't Carmaniac leave this game? Credits is not equal to team, if someone isn't actively on the team they are on the credits list. Also I don't believe you made the titleset and can't find credits for it.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.