The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 22nd, 2010 (01:29 AM).
Zeffy
merry freaking Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johto_legend View Post
hey i have a question. when i make the palette and "force" black and white, the white makes it 17 colors. and white isnt in the image so how can i get rid of it?
@Jm20
how do u move the colors around the way u said. in photoshop?
Instead of forcing black and white, select none or transparent. Any of those 2 works, just make sure you're colors is 16 or lower.
Old March 26th, 2010 (04:09 AM).
Opalescent
Ninja Mapper

Nature: Quirky
Actually, I found an easier way of doing it
But this is excellent for people new to Tile Inserting. Hmmmm now all I need is a guide to changing the animations

Awesome
Old April 4th, 2010 (12:55 AM).
School days again...

Nature: Naughty
I'm having a problem here, I put all the palettes at the Advance Map, but because the palettes are not exact, I put the ones which are nearest to the original. Here's what happened: (When I put it in the tileset but I'm not inserting it yet, it looked fine)

Spoiler:

--------------------------
My Thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=201787
Post your suggestions on my thread.
Contains DPP and HGSS Tiles and Overworlds!

874521 Pair up with Napalm
Old April 15th, 2010 (03:06 AM). Edited April 15th, 2010 by Doublet.
Doublet
Zelda PWNs!

Nature: Modest
That was a pretty detailed tutorial, too bad I figured it out on my own before I read this! XD

anyhow, I am still encountering one problem; In AM the tiles look fine... But when I play the rom its bassically Anarchy! I've already made sure theres no animations, and have deleted and replaced the tiles a good amount of times.

Could someone help?

MASSIVE POKEMON TOURNAMENT UNDERWAY!

Click on the link and sign up for Doublet's ShadowBrawl!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...16#post5729716
Old April 18th, 2010 (10:22 AM).
joeprice
Beginning Trainer

Hey, great tutorial, very well set out, easy to read and helpful.
BUUT.. I was wondering if you could help me. I can insert tiles just fine but when it comes to door animations I am at a total loss.
Right now all that I am trying to do is move the door with the "R" on it from the "Five Isle Meadow" map on fire red onto tileset0. Managed this without a problem but I can't manage to associate the animation of the door opening with my new tile. I presumed setting the behaviour byte to 69 would do the job but it does not. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2010 (12:43 PM).
¬Er!c Cartman«
Beginning Trainer

Very great tutorial, thank you :D
Old June 28th, 2010 (11:45 PM).
Learath2
Scripter

Nature: Calm
every thing gets weird after i add a secon tree i made the pallets but the left side of the left tree and everything up at left side gets very weird
h t t p ://i48.tinypic.com/2uopc01.jpg
Old June 29th, 2010 (01:24 AM).
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learath2 View Post
every thing gets weird after i add a secon tree i made the pallets but the left side of the left tree and everything up at left side gets very weird
h t t p ://i48.tinypic.com/2uopc01.jpg
Well, yeah? you edited the colours of the whole Tileset, so all the tiles will change colour if they use that pallette. If that is what you were saying. If it is not that that is the problem, then what exactly is wrong, as the screenshot gives no hint.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old June 29th, 2010 (03:46 AM). Edited June 29th, 2010 by Learath2.
Learath2
Scripter

Nature: Calm
h t t p://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5753/helpl.png

a better screenshot after adding the tree right side this happens i did make the pallets same
Old June 29th, 2010 (06:25 AM).
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learath2 View Post
h t t p://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5753/helpl.png

a better screenshot after adding the tree right side this happens i did make the pallets same
You've recoloured it wrong. You need to make all the tree colours fit the Tileset pallette exactly. Redo the tile, making sure that the tree fits the pallette perfectly.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old July 3rd, 2010 (02:33 PM).
sir.euge
Bunchies Back!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Yahoo to sir.euge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 874521 View Post
Nice tutorial! Other tutorials are good too but this explains a lot.
Can I just paste the tile without 16 colors to the 16 colors instead of coloring it?
this is caused due to dithering. just uncheck that option when changing the color depth and your image wont have random dots all over it! this is probably what everyone is experiencing and they are probably forced to recolor their tiles
Old July 3rd, 2010 (09:57 PM).
Xnenai
Developing Polyglot

Nature: Relaxed
Great tut, I've definitely learned more from this than any other. I still have problems with my background color though...
Old August 21st, 2010 (07:37 AM).
Jm20
A.k.a. Zig :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 874521 View Post
I'm having a problem here, I put all the palettes at the Advance Map, but because the palettes are not exact, I put the ones which are nearest to the original. Here's what happened: (When I put it in the tileset but I'm not inserting it yet, it looked fine)

Spoiler:
Well this is a problem I have too. I am sure I have the right tileset with the right pallette, with no more than 16 colors, all indexed, blah blah. However, it still ends up this freaky in the Block Editor (and in the maps too).

Did anyone already find the solution to this problem?
Old August 21st, 2010 (01:04 PM).
Blaze Orange
Lord of Blaze Castle

Nature: Careful
I don't see why gale and photoshop are necessary. Why can't I just index with IrfranView, set the first color of the pallet to transparent, paste it over in paint, and then export the pallet as a .PAL file in IrfranViw.

Old August 21st, 2010 (01:40 PM).
Jm20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze Orange View Post
I don't see why gale and photoshop are necessary. Why can't I just index with IrfranView, set the first color of the pallet to transparent, paste it over in paint, and then export the pallet as a .PAL file in IrfranViw.
You can. At least that's the way I do it and it works fine up until I import the whole thing in Amap...
Old August 21st, 2010 (09:52 PM).
Multi
Beginning Trainer

It's the best Tile-sets Tutorial EVER I learned new things!
Old August 22nd, 2010 (09:42 AM).
Jm20

Okay, I found out it's not GraphicsGale that saves palettes in a wrong way, instead it's A-map which interprets the colors completely wrong, hence the darkened colors. I have now kind of found a way to prevent AdvanceMap to ruin your palette. You should use .ACT as your palette saving format. Now, since neither GraphicsGale nor IrfanView are able to save palettes in .ACT format, you should first save the palette as .PAL. Next, open it up with this program: PaletteEditor (Direct Download) or any other palette editing program. Save the palette as .ACT and load it in A-map. As simple as that.

However, it doesn't really help as long as this happens...
Spoiler:

If someone knows/finds out how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. If I need to give more info or screens just say.
Old August 22nd, 2010 (09:53 AM).
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm20 View Post
Okay, I found out it's not GraphicsGale that saves palettes in a wrong way, instead it's A-map which interprets the colors completely wrong, hence the darkened colors. I have now kind of found a way to prevent AdvanceMap to ruin your palette. You should use .ACT as your palette saving format. Now, since neither GraphicsGale nor IrfanView are able to save palettes in .ACT format, you should first save the palette as .PAL. Next, open it up with this program: PaletteEditor (Direct Download) or any other palette editing program. Save the palette as .ACT and load it in A-map. As simple as that.

However, it doesn't really help as long as this happens...
Spoiler:

If someone knows/finds out how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. If I need to give more info or screens just say.
There is a third option. As always... That happens because the tileset doesn't match the pal file.

Anyway, the third option is manually recolour all your new tiles to fit the pallette of the tileset (Ever heard of the Eyedropper and Eraser Trick?), and then Save it. Reload in Advance Map, and then change the Pallette.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old August 22nd, 2010 (11:19 AM).
Jm20

Maybe you can help me any further...? I recolored my custom tileset in the colors of Palette0 in Pallet Town trough importing the palette in GraphicsGale and thus generating a custom tileset in the colors of the default tileset in FireRed.
Then I imported the tileset in Amap, and the following happens:
Spoiler:

Any further action, like trying to edit the blocks, results in blank tiles and blocks, both in the maps as in the block-bank and tileset... (Most commonly in colors green, blue and black.) See picture few posts earlier.

It happens with every single tileset I import. Even when I load the default ingame tileset (which I had exported a second before) it crashes. I honestly think it is something with AdvanceMap, but on the other hand, many hackers succeeded in inserting custom tilesets...

PS: Could it be something with animated tiles? I have kept most animated tiles original, but not for example doors etc.. Could this be the problem?

PPS: Thanks to AdvancePaletteEditor by HackMew palette editing and inserting is no problem anymore whatsoever. However, the AdvanceMap .PAL format is distinctively different from the 'common' .PAL format. No other program than A-map accepts this different .PAL file.
Old August 23rd, 2010 (12:21 AM).
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm20 View Post
Maybe you can help me any further...? I recolored my custom tileset in the colors of Palette0 in Pallet Town trough importing the palette in GraphicsGale and thus generating a custom tileset in the colors of the default tileset in FireRed.
Then I imported the tileset in Amap, and the following happens: :paranoid:
Spoiler:

Any further action, like trying to edit the blocks, results in blank tiles and blocks, both in the maps as in the block-bank and tileset... (Most commonly in colors green, blue and black.) See picture few posts earlier.

It happens with every single tileset I import. Even when I load the default ingame tileset (which I had exported a second before) it crashes. I honestly think it is something with AdvanceMap, but on the other hand, many hackers succeeded in inserting custom tilesets...

PS: Could it be something with animated tiles? I have kept most animated tiles original, but not for example doors etc.. Could this be the problem?

PPS: Thanks to AdvancePaletteEditor by HackMew palette editing and inserting is no problem anymore whatsoever. However, the AdvanceMap .PAL format is distinctively different from the 'common' .PAL format. No other program than A-map accepts this different .PAL file.
Not many use GraphicsGale. It isn't to do with Animations. It is probably how you are doing it. Try NOT using Graphics Gale, manually reolouring your new tiles to fit the old Tileset, loading that in Advance Map, and using the Pallette Editor in Advance Map to redo the pallette. I think the key mistake you are using is not using AdvanceMaps in-built pallette editor.

Before trying this method, redo yours, (Indexing the tileset, copy and pasting the new tile in), but do not change the pallette, then load the tileset in Advance Map, then do the pallette in Advance Map. If that doesn't work, then try the method I mentioned earlier.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old August 24th, 2010 (04:04 AM).
Jm20

Before trying any of the methods above at all, I decided to try to follow Cello's tutorial precisely once more. And, I'm a bit embarassed to admit, it worked! :D I still don't know exactly what I did wrong, but I now found the method that completely works. Thanks for all your advice and help, BanjoraMaxville! Now I can finally work further on my hack!
Old August 26th, 2010 (09:50 AM).
shawn0173
Pokemon: Metallic Flames!

in photoshop, when i try opening my .png file photoshop closes. why is this? how can i fix it?
Old August 26th, 2010 (10:10 AM).
Multi
Beginning Trainer

more Details! dude... can't help...
Old August 26th, 2010 (10:14 AM).
Binary
え?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn0173 View Post
in photoshop, when i try opening my .png file photoshop closes. why is this? how can i fix it?
It might be a problem with photoshop. Try re-installing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi View Post
more Details! dude... can't help... :P
I think it's as elaborated as it can be.
Old August 26th, 2010 (10:24 AM). Edited August 26th, 2010 by shawn0173.
shawn0173
Pokemon: Metallic Flames!

yeah i start it, i click open, i select my image which is in .png then photoshop automatically closes, thats it. ill try reinstalling it. thanks

EDIT: reinstalling it didnt work
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links