The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
bblord
Beginning Trainer

Honeymoon challenge: Get a Male and Female pokemon of the same species (exception: Nidoran family). You can only use those two throughout the game, and prior to any Gym challenge/Elite Four Challenge they must be equal in level. Perhaps to cover HMs you can have 1-2 slaves, but thats it!

Kinda weak, but I'm gonna try it soon.

Need a random nature/IV Jirachi? PM me and I can hook you up!
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightmare View Post
Oyyyy what there is nothing wrong with the Isshu pokemon...but still I would want more variation especially pokemon from Gen III.
There isn't anything wrong with Isshu Pokemon... I LOVE them.
But using only them is gonna become bad. And plus, since this is a whole new Pokedex, I'm thinking that the Pokemon count will become HUGE : i'm guessing somewhere 670 +.

So it won't be that bad ! <3

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
If we're gonna talk about gen V, I will be exiting the thread because I'm avoiding spoilers. Only a few more weeks of avoiding things, though. Yay importing! The few Pokemon I have seen so far look good, though. Except...that wretched gorilla thing. No no no. Easily my new least favorite Fire type.

btw guys, I'm not gonna be too strict on the "every post must be about challenges" thing. This is practically a DCC...just don't get too crazy with it, lol. At least have some relevance to challenges. =w=

Speaking of which, when I do finish the Favorite challenge, I'm doing it again...in hopes of getting a better team.
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

Why doesn't anyone participate in the word challenge ? ;_;
I'm beggining soon...
Also, let's all help Syd and keep spoiler-free ! I know how bad it feels to get spoiled, mostly with the anime.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

I haven't kept up with the anime, but Hiiro told me what happened in the last DP episode and linked me to some of the characters for the upcoming season and...no. No one is very good looking. :( -dies-

About your challenge, just give it time. Not everyone is interested right now, and heck, some can't juggle too many challenges at the same time. -cough- I can barely handle two. -cough-
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I haven't kept up with the anime, but Hiiro told me what happened in the last DP episode and linked me to some of the characters for the upcoming season and...no. No one is very good looking. -dies-

About your challenge, just give it time. Not everyone is interested right now, and heck, some can't juggle too many challenges at the same time. -cough- I can barely handle two. -cough-
Myrrh remains the master. Juggling hundreds of challenges is really hard.
I also remember mondays suck's glory days. When I only read his challenge update. When this Sub-Forum was inexistent. lol.

OT : The Magic Mozilla Red Underline Thingy doesn't underline myrrh. Wtf ? (it does underline wtf).
OT* : Have you seen Nurse Joy, Syd ? She looks like a... 12 year old. But cute, though

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

I always remember mondays suck as the original king, no offense myrrhman. XD But I do remember spending most of my time reading challenge updates, mainly by mondays suck. Also, this isn't a sub-forum...it's a main forum. lol

And Officer Jenny looks like a dude. :(
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

My bad. I know it's a forum. Now at least.
Also, mondays suck will always have a place in my heart, too. Myrrhman is giving in a lot of effort too, but... well, it looks different ! (:
Also, Syd, we own this page ! Just look ! xDD

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
mondays suck
:)

Oh wow, I never knew my runs were that popular... Apart from my Brown Nuzlocke which I consider to be my greatest effort in a Pokemon game so far, I don't think I've done anything special ... or have I?

And, to make this post not completely off-topic, is there already something like a No Items challenge (I checked the active threads of the subforum and didn't find anything, but there might be already something planned, I haven't been checking this thread regularly)? I can imagine a game without Potions and TMs being pretty hard. HMs (maybe some restrictions here though to avoid massive HM03 abuse), Pokeballs and key items would be exceptions of course. Then again, it might all just turn into a mindless grindfest...
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
@ 560 #1: My name isn't underlined because I'm that famous. Also because myrrh is a real thing. From Fire Emblem preferably.

@ Syd: Me too. I definitely remember the Brown Nuzzy, and I remember him doing a lot of other challenges, which I'm pretty sure is what motivated me to do as many as I've done.

@ 560 #2: I agree that we have different styles. I tried to do the whole "make it a nice story" thing for a few of my early challenges, esp my Team Rocket Blue Challenge. But, I can play through the originals in an hour or so, so I ended up beating the game and then trying to remember everything that happened. Then I tried recording stuff, but I would have times where I would stop to check something real quick on Serebii and forget to unpause it. Or I would start talking to my friend throughout the challenge. Neither of them worked for me, so now I just say the basics of what happened and give you my team if you're lucky.

@ Mondays: Oh hai. We're famous here. I definitely remember your Brown Nuzlocke, because I was doing a Yellow Nuzlocke at the same time. I only joined when you were at the Elite Four, but I definitely remember that part, and I remember it was epic.

As far as the No Item challenge, there isn't one. Someone challenged me to do a No Pokecenter Challenge, but I don't think there's one for no items. I don't think it would be that hard, because you could Pokecenter spam, and get around TMs with Move Tutor Moves (if applicable). And still, I could run through Yellow Version with a Slash/Flamethrower/Fly Charizard, a Pokemon that can learn Psychic via level (so Kadabra), and maybe a Dewgong for Ice Beam. Don't think it would be that tough.
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
@ 560 #1: My name isn't underlined because I'm that famous. Also because myrrh is a real thing. From Fire Emblem preferably.

@ Syd: Me too. I definitely remember the Brown Nuzzy, and I remember him doing a lot of other challenges, which I'm pretty sure is what motivated me to do as many as I've done.

@ 560 #2: I agree that we have different styles. I tried to do the whole "make it a nice story" thing for a few of my early challenges, esp my Team Rocket Blue Challenge. But, I can play through the originals in an hour or so, so I ended up beating the game and then trying to remember everything that happened. Then I tried recording stuff, but I would have times where I would stop to check something real quick on Serebii and forget to unpause it. Or I would start talking to my friend throughout the challenge. Neither of them worked for me, so now I just say the basics of what happened and give you my team if you're lucky.

@ Mondays: Oh hai. We're famous here. I definitely remember your Brown Nuzlocke, because I was doing a Yellow Nuzlocke at the same time. I only joined when you were at the Elite Four, but I definitely remember that part, and I remember it was epic.

As far as the No Item challenge, there isn't one. Someone challenged me to do a No Pokecenter Challenge, but I don't think there's one for no items. I don't think it would be that hard, because you could Pokecenter spam, and get around TMs with Move Tutor Moves (if applicable). And still, I could run through Yellow Version with a Slash/Flamethrower/Fly Charizard, a Pokemon that can learn Psychic via level (so Kadabra), and maybe a Dewgong for Ice Beam. Don't think it would be that tough.
Well myrrh is actually a plant and a gift of the magi. I should probably get around to finishing my Nuzzys lol
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Master Strife
The Local BAMF

I want a new challenge to do lol. I've done the favorite tons of times (like 7 before I even suggested it here.) I've done Solo (Sceptile, FTW) and I'm about to finish the last ultimate monotype challenge for the 17th time. Nuzlocke(that's the one where fainted pokemon are released right?) bores me, because I somehow manage to never let my pokemon die. I need a new challenge to do DX

Favorite Challenge:
Do it! It's EPICLY BEASTLY!!
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
560cool.
Probably back.

@ myrrh : Well, I never played Fire Emblem. Lol.

Also, can someone be James Bond and sneak into some old Nuzlocke threads and recover mondays suck's last Brown Nuzlocke update ? I just lost any connection with that thread and I can't remember the owner's name. *facesmash*

So pwease ? :]

Also, why does this thread keep on getting name changes. I can remember : "The Challenge Market Just Crashed !", "Monotypes have been murdered ?!", "Syd likes to use Unown. Is that challenging enough ?".

Pourrrrr sommmme... no, it sounds... a bit off and stupid. (that's my 2 cents, don't take it seriously)

Last edited by 560cool.; September 11th, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Eternal Nightmare
Stunningly Handsome

Send a message via Yahoo to Eternal Nightmare
I would partake in the word challenge but I'm one of those people that can't do more than two challenges. Which will be three when I get a helper for my Random Moveset Challenge lurking at the bottom D:. Well I hoping I get a customer soon or I will be dishearted.

Fire Emblem is a great game series...really I recommend you try it. That was off topic but thought id throw that out there x3
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
mondays suck
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
@ myrrh : Well, I never played Fire Emblem. Lol.

Also, can someone be James Bond and sneak into some old Nuzlocke threads and recover mondays suck's last Brown Nuzlocke update ? I just lost any connection with that thread and I can't remember the owner's name. *facesmash*
[self-advertisement]
The thread hasn't even been dead that long, it's still on page 2...

Also, there was my 6 Unown run in Crystal last year, that was a good one as well. Only the Red battle wasn't that epic because I was forced to resort to PP stall with Revives because I didn't grind enough.
[/self-advertisement]

@myrrh: Is it possible NOT to Pokecenter spam in a run if it isn't prohibited in the rules? I do it all the time. Also, move tutors are either only usable once or have ridiculous requirements. Sure, that one 'zard example doesn't make the challenge sound very hard, but are there really that many other Pokemon who get that good movesets only by level up and HMs? Also, the Elite 4 would still be quite tough without items, unless you grind forever.
I think that while it would be a relatively easy challenge that is nowhere near the likes of a no Pokecenter run (I doubt that would even be possible to beat, since PP are going to run out VERY fast (well, one might spam Leppa Berries, but...)), it would still be a challenge.
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

The trick to the no PC run is selling items you don't use and buying TMs over and over. Leppa Berries work too. But someone on YouTube did a no Pokemon Center run on FireRed. He also soloed it, though. I can't remember who it was, but I'm sure you could find it if you looked it up.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

lolwut... Title has my name ! :O
Also, mondays suck, thanks for the link. I was just too stupid to click a "two". I was suspecting it to be long dead.
I read about the No Pokemon Center Challenge in a Walkthrough. You can also do the Suicide Challenge, which is like a Nuzlocke, but implies no items and no PokeCenters. Really, I never tried it, but I read about it.
Now, let's save mondays suck's challenge in Word... (:

Old September 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Jak
where the fairy flies

You have to be a masochist to try that suicide challenge.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Yes, I know. Here is the exact quote from the HGSS GameFAQs walkthrough ...

Quote:
x---------------------------------------x
| THE SURVIVAL CHALLENGE |
This combines the former two into one - no Pokemon Centers and no Poke Marts!
This means you cannot heal, and the only healing items you are going to get is
anything you pick up in the field - I would highly recommend the use of the
Dowsing MCHN to pick up items as you will want everything you can find,
particularly regarding Ethers and whatnot. Remember that breaking rocks in the
Ruins of Alph will occasionally treat you to a Max Revive or Max Ether as well;
this will be an invaluable tool.

You'll want to choose a starter who can learn a lot of moves - quite possibly
Totodile will be the best choice, especially since it also gets Ice Fang,
substituting for the lost Blizzard. A second worthy Pokemon would be Geodude,
who can be caught in the Ruins of Alph at a pretty high level for the time
with Rock Smash - Geodude can be useful in taking down Bugsy and the areas
before him, as well as a bit after (Geodude can notably come in useful for
Whitney.) As with the no Pokemon Center challenge, I would again recommend
you pick up Gyarados as soon as you can.

Be sure to time the Mahogany heal well, so you get it when you need it.

In regards to Pokemon who need to be traded to evolve, you should try and avoid
trading like the plague as much as possible. The best time to trade would be
after you have just been healed, such as after meeting Lance in the rocket
hideout or after beating the Elite Four; try to do that if you can.

The Pokeathlon prizes being legal are also up to the player's discretion. You
don't technically spend money on them, however.

This can make the game pretty hard; good luck if you attempt this!
I said it from memory, so I was wrong. Well, anyways, as you can see, you can use items, but only the ones you get on the field.
Well, someone can attempt it. And who is that ?
I'll let you guys guess.

and yes, I approve of this title :-)

Old September 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Usualy Nuzlocke is worked around by Solo-ing but with that Survival challenge I can't find a loop hole (unless Struggle is the Loop Hole ;D) To win this challenge you need Momento and Explosion Lol Jk.In all seriousness this seems like a diffiicult challenge.

-Now asumes I am part of the Cool Challenge Forum Group but really isn't xD-
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightmare View Post
I would partake in the word challenge but I'm one of those people that can't do more than two challenges. Which will be three when I get a helper for my Random Moveset Challenge lurking at the bottom D:. Well I hoping I get a customer soon or I will be dishearted.

Fire Emblem is a great game series...really I recommend you try it. That was off topic but thought id throw that out there x3
people have Nuzlocked Fire Emblem Before. I've actually Nuzlocked Fifa 10 :D
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post
people have Nuzlocked Fire Emblem Before. I've actually Nuzlocked Fifa 10 :D
How in the world do you do that?

OnTopic: It's just like the Begining Letter challenge but you use the Last letter instead.Yeah yu can just add that to the optional rules but still thats my 2 cents.

or

Move Choice Challenge:You may only use Pokemon 1 Pokemon must only use Physical attacks, one only uses special and one only uses Status.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:22 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

@ AceDragonite : How can you nuzlocke a soccer game ? Sounds interesting, might do this on FIFA 10 on my PSP.

@chaos11011 : Move Choice Challenge sounds like and awesome one, I might try when I finish Favorite on Platinum.

Also, I wanted to bring something up ... :

Spoiler:

The Pokewalker Challenge

Some of you might remember this, some might not. It is the challenge where you only use Pokemon from the Pokewalker (as many as you like). But, I wanted to add a twist to it.

The Nuzlocke Pokewalker Challenge

Yes, a challenge where you only use Pokewalker Pokemon, one per route, and with the fainting Nuzlocke rules.
That actually limits the number of Pokemon by a lot. And thus, it becomes much harder.

Tell me what you think ! :-)

Old September 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
@ AceDragonite : How can you nuzlocke a soccer game ? Sounds interesting, might do this on FIFA 10 on my PSP.

@chaos11011 : Move Choice Challenge sounds like and awesome one, I might try when I finish Favorite on Platinum.

Also, I wanted to bring something up ... :

Spoiler:

The Pokewalker Challenge

Some of you might remember this, some might not. It is the challenge where you only use Pokemon from the Pokewalker (as many as you like). But, I wanted to add a twist to it.

The Nuzlocke Pokewalker Challenge

Yes, a challenge where you only use Pokewalker Pokemon, one per route, and with the fainting Nuzlocke rules.
That actually limits the number of Pokemon by a lot. And thus, it becomes much harder.

Tell me what you think ! :-)
If I could find my Pokéwalker in my moving Boxes (it must be in one of my 4,000,000 Pokémon related boxes) I'd Defently do that.Because that make my HG Nuzlocke Run 1,000,000 times more interesting
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:08 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos11011 View Post
If I could find my Pokéwalker in my moving Boxes (it must be in one of my 4,000,000 Pokémon related boxes) I'd Defently do that.Because that make my HG Nuzlocke Run 1,000,000 times more interesting
I know. And it adds a lot of twists. And it gets you a lot more active. ;-)

Also, here are some other challenges from that Walkthrough :

Spoiler:
| THE NO POKECENTER CHALLENGE |
As the name says, this involves taking on the game without the use of a Pokemon
Center. This means you'll be keeping any damage your Pokemon take for a long
time, as well as quite possibly having a lot of PP problems with your Pokemon.
PC use is also disallowed for the purpose of healing; it should only be used
in the event you are permanently trading out a member of your party for another
Pokemon in the PC.

There are some healing points in the game that are forced; this means you get
a couple of chances to heal, but not very many at all:
- Talking to Mr. Pokemon about the egg
- Getting healed by Lance in the Mahogany Rocket Base
- Defeating Lance at the Pokemon League
- Defeating Red at Mt. Silver

Apart from these, there is nothing you can do to heal, so you will have to
strive very highly on items to survive. You may also need to catch more Pokemon
to share out the PP use, since you won't be able to consistently use one
Pokemon unless you have a lot of PP to spare.

Technically, you can heal by defeating the Elite Four, though whether you want
to do that is entirely your choice. Technically it's not an "optional" healing,
but the Elite Four itself is optional at point, so it's really a matter of
morals. Do you think it counts..?

This challenge can get hard at parts, particularly if your levels start getting
low because you have to use so many Pokemon to keep up the PP. I would probably
recommend getting the Gyarados at the Lake of Rage ASAP, and piling whatever
you can onto it. Remember that teaching new TMs will restore PP, as well as
a combination of HMs and move deleters - this could be particularly useful
if you're using Gyarados, as you can always keep Waterfall topped up.

| THE NO POKEMART CHALLENGE |
Again like the name states, this involves playing the game without the use of
a PokeMart - you can certainly go in one, but you cannot buy anything, and
this generally includes not being able to get items that your mother buys
either (though this is entirely up to the challenger.) This means you get no
extra healing items or Poke Balls, so you will have to make do with what you
have. You'll also be unable to pick up any of the strong TMs at Goldenrod,
so you'll have to settle for whatever Ice-type moves you can get.

For the record, this could also include the Game Corner, but that is again the
player's choice. Perhaps I should just call it the "no money use" challenge?

The No-Mart challenge was discussed on PC, and the Survival Challenge just combines those two. :-)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links