The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
What level will my traded pokemon obey me up to with each Gym Badge?

Also when do you get the Exp Share?
This is in Sapphire btw.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

2 badges - lv.30
4 badges - lv.50
6 badges - lv.70
8 badges - lv.100 (infinite, actually, but lv.100 is the maximum you can have).

Also, I know in the Gen IV HeartGold and SoulSilver games, 1 badge makes them obey you up to lv.20, but I don't know if this applies in Gen III, or even in other Gen IV games, so don't blame me if that's not the case.

Exp. Share - Deliver the letter to Steven Stone inside the Granite Cave, then go back to Devon Corporation in Rustboro City, speak to Chairman Stone, and he'll give you an Exp. Share
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Thanks alot!
Now, when does Tentacool learn some decent moves?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
Thanks alot!
Now, when does Tentacool learn some decent moves?
Depending on the generation game you're playing, you might want to look at these:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...By_leveling_up

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...By_leveling_up

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

Most of the pokemon advice threads I look up all talk about how easy fighting opponents in the game is, since it is artificial intelligence. I am apparently completely retarded, then, because I can't seem to win in the singles battle tournament in Emerald =(.

I've only gotten to face Tucker once, and he wrecked me. Other times, I've even died just to the normal trainers.

Is there any way I can set up my team's moves and/or hold items better? Note: all the hold items have to be obtainable in the current Emerald game I'm playing, I am not going to get new pokemon or level lowbies up, and all new moves I teach them also have to be easily obtainable. It's possible that my team just sucks and I don't have a chance, but I thought I'd try to get some advice here.

Here is my team:

Metagross @ King's Rock, level 65
Psychic
Earthquake
Brick Break
Meteor Mash

Walrein @ Chesto Berry, level 65
Ice Beam
Surf
Rest
Body Slam

Cradily @ Leftovers, level 65
Giga Drain
Toxic
Double Team
Confuse Ray

For the most part, Metagross can take care of just about everything. For anything that's not a type advantage or disadvantage for any of them, I use Cradily to sort of be evasive by keeping the opponent confused and spamming double team till just about nothing hits it, and healing with leftovers and giga drain till Toxic and hitting themselves with confusion finishes them off.

The main problem I have been running into: I'll often use Metagross's Earthquake on just about anything that's not weak to ground, but a lot of times the pokemon will have a focus band so it holds on to one HP and then it uses Counter and OHKOs my Metagross.

Some things have done that to Cradily, too, where I'll use Giga Drain against a water type, it'll Focus Band hold on to 1 HP and then Mirror Coat it back.

That's not my only problem, though -- I die to other random things, too.

Any suggestions for changing up my movesets and/or items?
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:57 AM
RockHardSemi
Lv 53

Give Cradily Sandstorm to brush over the remaining 1hp? Or Walrein Hail.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Well...Metagross is good...apart from Psychic. It's a special attack (psychic was one of the special types in Gen III). Play to its' strengths, and give it something like Shadow Ball, or Thunder/Ice Punch (if you use Ice Punch, you can easily pwn his Salamence due to Intimidate being blocked by Clear Body). ignore that, they're special types.

Walrein....give it a Lum Berry, incase you get hit by another status during the battle. You've played to its' strengths well, with water/ice attacks, as they're special. Body Slam is meh. I'd give it Toxic, as with Toxic and Rest, you could stall things out. Obviously, if you don't have Toxic because you used it on Cradily....tutor it Sleep Talk (man in Fortree does it for you). RestTalk Walrein is just...epic.

Cradily...Double Team, and evasion in general, aren't that handy, as the odds are when an attack hits, it turns critical. I would advise something like this: Toxic / Giga Drain / Stockpile / Swallow. You can Stockpile, heal with Swallow/Giga Drain, and stall them out with Toxic.

Sandstorm is good, but maybe you should lead with Walrein, as it doesn't benefit from Sandstorm, and does better without, whereas Metagross benefits from it.

Hope I helped!

Last edited by Amore; September 12th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
Well...Metagross is good...apart from Psychic. It's a special attack (psychic was one of the special types in Gen III). Play to its' strengths, and give it something like Shadow Ball, or Thunder/Ice Punch (if you use Ice Punch, you can easily pwn his Salamence due to Intimidate being blocked by Clear Body).
Actually, both Ice Punch and Thunderpunch were Special types in 3rd gen. Personally I like to use Agility with Metagross since chances are it can survive an attack, speed up, then go on to sweep at least a few Pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:12 AM
AmstroDamn
The One That Needs Time.

Location: In the chamber after you beat the "first four" guys...
Nature: Relaxed
Does the pokemon's nature or even the other stuff like "happily eats anything" affects it's performance in battle?
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmstroDamn View Post
Does the pokemon's nature or even the other stuff like "happily eats anything" affects it's performance in battle?
Yes. Nature specifies a stat that will be higher than normal and one that will be weaker than normal (Atk +, Sp. Def - for instance) with the exception of five natures which won't affect stats at all. The "happily eats anything" refers to the Pokemon's Individual Value (IV) that is the highest. Unless you're breeding, you have little control over IV but you'd want to catch a Pokemon whose nature bolsters its strong points (a fast Pokemon with a Speed + nature, for instance).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Can you catch a Carvahna with an Old Rod? If so, where? If not, where can I get a Good Rod, and THEN where can I catch Carvahna?
This is Sapphire btw.

Also, is Steel Wing Okay to teach to Swablu, atleast for something temporary?

Hoenn, 1 Badge

Last edited by Weavile05; September 12th, 2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
No, Old Rod only catches Karp and occasionally Tentacool. You'll need a Good/Super Rod for Caravanha.

And I guess. But it's a TM, and a decent one at that, so I don't know why you'd wanna have that as a temp move instead of permanent. But yeah, it's fine.
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Above is good. Carvanha are common as muck on pretty much all sea routes.

As for locations:

Old Rod - Dewford Town
Good Rod - Route 118 (Surf required)
Super Rod - Mossdeep City
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

^ Thanks for the advice on my team. I think I will try Sleep Talk instead of Body Slam with Walrein. I might also do Giga Drain/Toxic/Stockpile/Swallow for Cradily.

I unfortunately can't teach Metagross Shadow Ball, because it already did know Shadow Ball at one point in time, lol =(...I removed it to teach Earthquake instead. Oh well; I'll just have to use his moveset as is. I thought Psychic was a good move to have on a Psychic-type, though. Why is it not very good for Metagross?

How do I get the Lum Berry? I googled it and it said in Emerald, you can get the Lum Berry in Lilycove City or Route 123. I don't have the word "Corsola" in my set of words I can say to the Berry Master's wife, but is there a way I can get the Lum Berry from Lilycove City?
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Sydian

Usually the man on the top half of Lilycove where you can jump down ledges to get to the house with the Rest TM will give you one. "A berry suits you to a t! Why should that be so?" If that doesn't work, you can fish around Pacfidlog til you find a Corsola so that way it can be in your word box.

As for the Metagross, I see no problem with Psychic, but if I'm not mistaken, Metagross is more of a physical attacker than special.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

^ That berry guy is so cheap! He gave me an Oran Berry =(.

Ty for the advice, though . Will have to go try to find a Corsola.

Edit: Umm...I caught a Corsola and then went to the Berry Master's wife and gave her the phrase that someone on google said to use: Challenge Corsola. But she gave me a Leppa Berry, not a Lum Berry. Is this the wrong phrase?

Last edited by serabeth; September 12th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

That man's unpredictable. I used to get nothing but Lum Berries. However, on my current save file, he never game me one either.Don't worry about it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berry_Master

Bulbapedia doesn't give a phrase for Lum Berry...

I found a link saying BAD DATE is one to get a Lum Berry. Try that. However, it said Overwhelming Ninetales gets a Leppa Berry...I think if you don't get the password for the one-off berry, it's randomly selected.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:01 AM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

^ Yeah I kept googling it because I kept finding different passwords, and finally I found something that said to just save before you talk to the Berry Master's wife and then keep repeating the same phrase to her over and over again and resetting until you get the right berry. I did this with the phrase "Angry Abra" (another password I'd found online) and after 3 resets, she gave me a Lum Berry.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
chickenofunity
Confused Chicken

Nature: Bashful
I'm looking to buy Emerald, because I lost mine, and also Firered, and leafgreen. I know how to check for fakes and how to tell if it is a fake, but my problem is actually finding these in the first place. Where do you buy advance generation games?

Please click my hatchlings and eggs!
http://dragcave.net/user/littleangelamy22

Spoiler:

Will be starting soon:

Avvie credit to Noka!! ♥
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

^ I don't know if you're looking to buy from a store like GameStop or Best Buy so that you can go in person and see if any of the used games customers have turned in are fake or not, but if you're just looking for somewhere to buy them, amazon.com has all of them available; I just checked.

I've never had any bad experiences with amazon itself, and as for the sellers, your best bet is to pick a seller from the list that has the most customers (avoid ones that have just launched), and go through the reviews and make sure they are generally positive, and that there are no negative ones accusing them of sending fake or damaged merchandise.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't pick someone necessarily with the best rating if they only have 5 customers or so; better to go with the 4 star seller with 100 customers than the 5 star one with just a few.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM
AmstroDamn
The One That Needs Time.

Location: In the chamber after you beat the "first four" guys...
Nature: Relaxed
What is an CBer and a SD sweeper
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Sydian

You'll probably get a better answer to that question if you ask in the Strategies and Movesets Q&A thread. I can't think of what those are, since I'm not competitively minded.
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

My guess would be choice bander and special defense sweeper. But I also do not battle competitively, so I don't know for sure.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:50 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmstroDamn View Post
What is an CBer and a SD sweeper
A CBer is a Pokemon holding a Choice Band; an SD sweeper is a Pokemon that uses Swords Dance as a method of boosting its Attack before sweeping. These types of Pokemon primarily use physical attacks to deal damage.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
serabeth
Beginning Trainer

Does anyone know exactly how to trade from FireRed to Emerald or Ruby? I have googled it numerous times, and gotten tons of different answers. Most seem to agree it can't be done until you beat the Cinnabar Island gym leader in FR and the Elite Four in Emerald (I have done both of these things).

How you do it after that seems to vary...Some say you have to get some Ruby Casing or something like that, others say you have to catch every single available pokemon in the Fire Red game...Anyone have a straight answer on this?

Like step by step, go to this house, talk to this guy to do that, etc.

It would be really helpful and very much appreciated if someone can do that .
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here