Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2010 (07:18 PM).
the reverse necromancer

Nature: Modest
Ooh, sorry guys, exams problem. Can you put my Challenge on hold for a while, I will get back to it after my exams. I probably have only 2-3 hours of time on a computer per day which is kinda not enough for the playthrough. Sorry for any inconveniences.
Old September 19th, 2010 (12:39 AM).
Challenger

Nature: Calm
I wanna go ULTIMATE with Steel
I'll do it like this
FireRed
SoulSilver
Sapphire
Diamond (i know that i'll miss the nice expirence but i'm using the remakes cuz they have more steel types)

Ultimate Monotype: Steel
FRe: -SSi: -
Sa: - Di : -

Begining letter challenge
Crystal & letter G

1 Gym 1 Pokemon
Brock
Misty
Sgt.Surge
Erika
Sabrina
Koga
Blaine
Giovanni

Completed
Spoiler:

Single Monotype Water Crystal
Old September 19th, 2010 (04:20 AM). Edited September 19th, 2010 by Elite Trainer Red.

Nature: Adamant
Imma start my quest now,
Imma Do FR-C-E-D
Doing an Electric type mono :D
ULTIMATE!!!
Fr now willl Update ASAP

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 19th, 2010 (05:38 AM).
ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON

I guess I'll do another ultimate.I'm thinking fighting. Yeah fighting will be my type. Gonna hack a Hitmonlee in the beginning of red
Old September 19th, 2010 (07:24 AM). Edited September 19th, 2010 by Charmageddon.
Charizard has evolved into ^

@ pleryt - I believe hacking is forbidden unless you are unable to legally obtain a Pokemon of your chosen type before the third gym. You can get Mankey at Route 5 and Machop in Rock Tunnel, so hacking is forbidden.

Anyway - I'm working on some userbars for Isshu, and I wondered if anyone who made some of the other userbars - or anyone with any knowledge - could tell me how to make the images so that the white background becomes transparent.

Mine just come out like this:

Spoiler:

Whereas I want the white to not be there, like in this one:

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance.

In other news, I plan to start a new challenge in Hoenn, or possibly an Ultimate challenge, but I haven't decided what type yet.

EDIT: I'm gonna do an Ultimate Grass challenge, starting with, appropriately, LeafGreen.

Old September 19th, 2010 (07:36 AM).
I'm Too Nice. Deal With It.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by pleryt16:
I guess I'll do another ultimate.I'm thinking fighting. Yeah fighting will be my type. Gonna hack a Hitmonlee in the beginning of red
Hacking is not allowed for Fighting type runs, as you can get them early enough. In Yellow, Mankey is found on Route 22, and in Red & Blue, you can catch a Machop before challenging the third gym.
Old September 19th, 2010 (08:00 AM).
ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON

Ok. Will start on yellow i guess
Old September 19th, 2010 (10:06 AM).
I most surely, don't Sparkle!

Nature: Bold
Scrap doing Poison. In HeartGold (since they have acess to mankey - primeape later on)

Going to do Fighting type.

Since theres no fighting types readily available early on (id need to do research)

What are the rules of my creating an egg or 2 to give me fighting pokemon to use at the start?
Old September 19th, 2010 (11:06 AM).
Destroying Zubats since 1996

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Itstoppedatumbreon
i'd like to do a steel one on platinum. can i trade for them at beggining(at low level oif course)
Old September 19th, 2010 (03:19 PM).
ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON

Eh, not going to do the Ultimate Fighting. Sorry
Old September 19th, 2010 (03:41 PM).
Devoted Battler

Nature: Calm
well ive kinda forgot to update for a bit. Sooooooooo here we go!

in emerald im at wattson(electric gym) with a golbat, dusktox, swalot, and a gloom

and in platinum im at byron(steel gym) with a crobat, tentacruel, haunter, toxicroak, rosellia, and a skorupi.

so yea im hoping to wrap up my poison challenge compleatly so i can concentrate on college and whatnot.

Challenges:
Ultiimate Monotype Poison: lg/fr-Complete!
hg/ss-Complete!
R/S/E-Awaiting Purchase

Old September 19th, 2010 (07:09 PM).
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
btw when I get to Isshu I want to beat the game once with a regular team before I start on a Monotype Challenge on it. Just a heads up in case I get to Isshu before i beat it with a regular team.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old September 20th, 2010 (01:21 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I then went to Slateport City and watched Team Magma escape. I then went back to Lilycove once again and went into the Magma hideout were I beat the admin. I then went east to Mosdeep City where I got Dive from Steven and beat the gym. I am still at Mosdeep City.
Screen shot 2010-09-19 at 7.28.32 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-19 at 7.32.21 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-20 at 6.36.14 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-20 at 6.35.51 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-20 at 6.34.40 PM.png

Camome (Pelliper) Lv32.
Moves: Shock Wave, Surf, Supersonic, Wing Attack.

Anemoth (Masquerain) Lv35.
Moves: Ice Beam, Quick Attack, Gust, Bubblebeam.

Ohsubame (Swellow) Lv33.
Moves: Wing Attack, Endeavor, Steel Wing, Quick Attack.

Airmd (Skarmory) Lv32.
Moves: Air Cutter, Swift, Fury Attack, Steel Wing.

Tyltalis (Altaria) Lv35.
Moves: Peck, Sing, Take Down, Dragonbreath.

Banasaur (Tropius) Lv33.
Moves: Fly, Whirlwind, Razor Leaf, Stomp.
Old September 20th, 2010 (05:07 AM). Edited September 20th, 2010 by Maxite.
Ideas and Insanity

In the lead up to my getting of Pokemon Black, I'm going to replay Pokemon Emerald using a Dark-styled team. Keep you updated on how things are going once I get started.

Status so far: Started Emerald. Got Mudkip. Caught Poochyena. Trained Poochyena to Level 18, where it has evolved into a Mightyena. Currently searching for a godd*** Seedot!

Update 2: Caught a Seedot in Route 102 after two hours of searching. My Mightyena is currently at Lv 20, and my Nuzleaf is currently at Lv 15. Gonna raise Nuzleaf to Lv 20 as well, and then I'm off to fight Roxanne.

Update 3: Nuzleaf (nicknamed Gary Oak) obliterated Roxanne's team. Now in Dewford Cave leveling my team up. Caught a Sableye to help me deal with Brawly. Gonna level Julia (my Sableye) up last.

Update 4: Sableye, Mightyena, and Nuzleaf are all Lv 25. Fought in Brawly's Gym. Let me tell you: Fighting-type gym with Sableye = Easy sweep.
Old September 20th, 2010 (07:09 AM).
The satellites are down..

Nature: Quirky
I'd like to do a water monotype of Pokemon Ruby please. Will start soon.
Old September 20th, 2010 (12:49 PM). Edited September 20th, 2010 by Zhinc.
a Dark-type trainer

Nature: Hasty
Hey, sign me up for the Ultimate Ground-type Challenge. I'll start using Fire Red, since I don't have my original games available to me at the present moment. ):

Firered || League Champion!
Crystal || 1 badge(s)

COMPLETE!: Level 90 Feraligatr named Champ.
Emerald Solo Run: COMPLETE!: level 76 Blaziken
Old September 20th, 2010 (05:04 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
sorry for the constant lack of posts. school and sports been on my back. Honors classes.. blah. I haven't decided if black or white is a worthy purchase or not, so there is a chance of me dropping out completely. And i don't really feel like buying a fourth gen game anytime soon.. I'm hoping to get an update on my steel by next week maybe. so i'll be taking a break(not like i haven't been already..) until i find some spare time and willingness to play.
Till then!
Steel
Currently-Isshu
Dragon
Currently-Isshu
Normal
Currently-Isshu
Dark
Currently-Sinnoh
Old September 21st, 2010 (03:02 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
From Mosdeep City I went Underwater to the Magma Hideout where I defeated Team Magma for the last time. I then traveled to Sootopolis City where I got rid of Groudon and beat the last gym leader, Wallace. I am currently in Sootopolis City about to go to Victory Road.
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 7.55.06 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 8.18.16 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 8.17.51 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 7.55.14 PM.png Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 7.48.05 PM.png

Camome (Pelliper) Lv35.
Moves: Shock Wave, Surf, Supersonic, Wing Attack.

Anemoth (Masquerain) Lv40.
Moves: Ice Beam, Stun Spore, Gust, Bubblebeam.

Ohsubame (Swellow) Lv33.
Moves: Wing Attack, Endeavor, Steel Wing, Quick Attack.

Airmd (Skarmory) Lv36.
Moves: Air Cutter, Swift, Fury Attack, Steel Wing.

Tyltalis (Altaria) Lv36.
Moves: Peck, Sing, Flamethrower, Dragonbreath.

Banasaur (Tropius) Lv36.
Moves: Fly, Whirlwind, Razor Leaf, Strength.
Old September 21st, 2010 (04:30 AM).
Master of Nothing

SOOOOOOOO....it's been a lOOOOOOOOng while, school tends to take up a lot of time, but im back and i haz an update

-Began Platinum

-Name Mud...im senseing a pattern

-Friend name Flare

-Left Twinleaf

-Recieved Turtwig

-Beat Flare

-Got to Sandgem town

-Named Leaves

-Returned to Mom

-Recieved Jurnal and Parcel

-Learned how to catch Pokemon

-Caught Slave I (Starley)

-Caught Slave II (Bidoof)

-Got to Jubilife

-Met Looker

-Delivered the Parcel to Flare

-Got the Poketech

-Beat Flare again

-Got to Orebugh Gate and recieved HM06

-Talked to Flare again, need to go to Coal Mines

-Went to the Mines and found Rourak

-Headed to the Gym and beat him

-Leaves reached Lv. 18 and evolved

-Saved the Valley Windworks from Team Galactic

-Entered Eterna Forrest

-Helped Cheryal through the forrest

-Caught Rosebud Jr. (budew)
Old September 21st, 2010 (11:30 AM).
a Dark-type trainer

So, I finally was able to start my journey. I chose a Bulbsaur who turned out to be female, named her Bella, and proceeded to thrash my rival. From there, I journeyed north to Viridian, running away from the wild battles, and entered the Pokemart. Some guy in there gave me a package for the Professor, so I went back and handed it to him. I got my Pokedex and was told that I would never be able to complete is because Gary is just that much of a jerk. (:

After battling a bunch of Spearow and Rattata on the route just west of Viridian, I realized that I wouldn't be able to get the first Pokemon I wanted until route 3. Unhappy as I was, I trained Bulbasaur a little and resolved to make it through Viridian Forest battling as few of the trainers as possible, so that my little Nidoran could have some nice experience waiting for him/her when I finally got him/her. I only had a little extra grinding to do so that Bella would learn Vine Whip and then proceed to thrash Brock quite neatly.

OH FINALLY I GET RUNNING SHOES. About time. Now, that I'm on route 3, I can catch my Nidoran...but first, let's run into 4986574 Jigglypuffs and Spearows. Eventually, I found a level six male Nidoran and added my first team member. I then went for a quick trip into Mt. Moon to catch a Geodude that I'm not sure I really want to keep. At least Nido will have backup. I nicknamed the Geodude 'Geo' after one of my cousins; I plan on fixing Nidoran's name to Nido once I reach Lavendar Town.

I then backtracked for all the battles I'd missed, even the little rival battle to the west of Viridian. Nido is doing quite well and makes quick work of the bugs of Viridian Forest with his Peck attack. Geo...is okay. I'm not a big fan of Geodudes, so I'll just keep him around until I can get to Diglet's cave, I think.

At last glance, I saved my game while grinding Nido just a little bit more so that I'll feel safe for Mt. Moon. Oh, and I'm going to spend a little time to see if I can catch the ever elusive female Nidoran. (:

Crystal || 1 badge(s)

Old September 21st, 2010 (04:17 PM).
Random Trainer

Nature: Naughty
Chapter 1: Pallet Town - Viridian City - Pewter City.

Well, I finally got to start my Leaf Green game. Made myself a girl named Ivy. My rival is named Arsehat (I had a regression there, sorry :B).
Chose Charmander as a starter, since it will be a perfect HM slave, and named him Mr.Fiery; did your standard Oak's Parcel stuff. Got the Pokaydux and a Town Map.

Remembering I wouldn't be able to catch either Nidoran until AFTER Brock's Gym, I mentally prepared myself for a real challenge. Beating Brock using just a Beedrill.
Went into Viridian Forest, caught a Weedle, named him 'Sting'. Deposited Mr.Fiery, and started grinding him for the upcoming battle...
Old September 21st, 2010 (05:16 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Ok so I haven't posted in forever. I've been busy especially since school started. Sadly i dont have much to post. I've only made it to the 8th gym. Hopefully soon I can finish it and get out of Kanto. I'll post soon!
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature

by Angel486

HELP HATCH/LEVEL UP MY EGGS/PKMN!!!!CLICK THEM!!!!!!!!!!
First ones a Mewtwo! You know you wanna click it.

Old September 22nd, 2010 (06:20 AM).
Master of Procrastination

Nature: Quiet
Okay, according to Serebii I chose the right version for a normal type run, woo! So here's the next update in my Pokemon White Normal Monotype. (AKA part 5 of my ultimate normal monotype)

Gen V spoilers ahead!

Spoiler:
-After picking my jaw up off the floor (Seriously, this city looks awesome), I decided to check when my next team member would be available, turns out I need to go at least 1 more route before Chillarmy joins the team...damn.
-Recieved the hold item "Shinka no Kiseki" from someone...no idea what it translates out to, but according to google it increases the defensive stats of unevolved pokemon.
-Recieved TM45, a normal type status attack...5 bucks says it's still attract.
-Recieved TM70 from a creepy guy behind a dumpster...Flash. Wow...disturbing...Ellipses.
-Walked around trying to find the plot. Eventually bumped into Cheren, he said something before walking away. And then...the person from before, this is this City's gym leader, right?
-Seeing as s/he just left to follow Cheren, probably not.
-Oh wait, not allowed into the gym. Gotta follow hir.
-Tracked him down to the harbour, Belle was there with a kid
-Some talking happens and then suddenly, Plasma!
-The Team Plasma member runs off, Arti gives chase...S/he's not getting away 'til I have my badge!
-Anyway, after some chasing we catch the grunt and his comrades. 2 for Arti, 1 for me...no fair!
-Belle and short person show up just as Arti and I finish brutalising team Plasma.
-We enter the building they were guarding and then suddenly, old people!
-People talk, Munna appears, approaches Belle and suddenly dissapears.
-More talking, then the old people vanish.
-Finally, Gym Time!
-Looks like a bug type gym...why are the bug gym leaders always the most androgenous?
Anyways...Leader Battle: Arti

Team:
Sora Lv.24
-Air Cutter
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Roost
Rex Lv.24
-Tackle
-Crunch
-Take Down
-Cheer Up

Sora used Air Cutter to get rid of his Holiga, started against the annoying rock bug with roost, then air cutter, then roost as he was doing 10/20 damage with his super effective move, yay! Atei used 2 super potions during this fight, the jerk. Eventually Ishizumai fainted, making way for something truly funky looking. Hahakomori, according to bulbapedia. He kept spamming razor leaf but only lasted 3 turns vs Sora's Air Cutter.

-Beetle Badge get!
-Left the gym, Belle called. No idea what was said.
-Healed up and left the city.
-Belle showed up and demanded a battle, 2 vs 4 this isn't fair...
-Headed out to route 4, hoping it'd turn into route 5 soonish...instead found Cheren...who demanded a battle. *Should've healed* Oh well, Rex 1 shotted everything after he woke up.
-The professor called, plot info was missed...can't wait for the english release.
-Skipped most of the trainer battles on Route 4.
-Encountered the professor and Cheren again.

Next time! Plot events and a new team member!

Completed Challenges:
Nuzlocke Challenge: Moemon Forever V2
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Normal
Old September 22nd, 2010 (09:47 AM).
a Dark-type trainer

After spending several minutes looking for a Nidoran of some kind, I found another male. I caught him, spent a few more minutes searching for the female, and gave up. At least I've got a male to trade for a female later on. Nido has finally evolved and likes thrashing things around because he's so powerful. I have a new-found respect for the male Nidoran family.

After wandering around Mt. Moon a little (and finding a Moon Stone to use in a couple more levels!), I exited the mountain and headed east to Cerulean. There, the Gym was waiting for me. Unfortunately, Nido isn't quite ready, so I trained him up a bit more, which included using my Moon Stone on him once he reached level 22. Now, he's actually ground type! Yaay! I went and beat up the Nugget bridge just to make sure I'd be ready and then proceeded to thrash Misty around (quite literally).

After that narrow victory, I was hoping I could head south a little bit to pick up my female Nidoran. Alas, the police man at that one house in Cerulean won't let me through yet. So, I went up to Bill's, avoiding as many trainers as possible, and got my SS Ticket. The police man was then kind enough to let me pass; I pounded the Rocket thief and went to the Underground entrance to pick up my Nidoran. Her nickname is MS. NIDO.
...could have done a little better, kid.

With my new team member in tow, I returned to the route heading to Bill's to defeat the trainers I'd left behind and get MS. NIDO some experience. I'm training there now as we speak.

Crystal || 1 badge(s)

Old September 23rd, 2010 (03:31 AM).
Master of Procrastination

Nature: Quiet
Wow...real plot happenings, if you don't want the contents of the opening cinematic spoiled, do NOT open these spoiler tags...

Spoiler:
-Saw an old man being attacked...or maybe just conversed with, by team Plasma...this can't be good.
-In the distance, A-ha could be heard as Rex took on all comers with take down.
-Bicycle get!
-Then suddenly, Belle, with more conversation in Japanese.
-Healed up and headed for route 5 and Chillarmy.
-Oh wait...Belle dragged me to a musical...this had better not be about a high school...
-Some old guy says some stuff...fashion case get!
-Encountered this town's gym leader outside
-After some more dialogue I finally got out to route 5.
-Caught Chillarmy (Chill) :D
-Headed back to Hiun City to get my EXP Share
-Encountered N in Raimon City. Sweet, time to battle! Or we could ride the ferris wheel, I guess...
-Huh, Plasma grunts?! Calling for N?! Now I get to beat him up for being a villain, right? Right!
Rex swept him...kinda dissappointing...
-N says something important enough to warrant switching to a first person view before running away.
-Encountered some wierd blue-haired girl at the train station. Free key item get...I guess.
-Gym time!
Considered b*tching about one trainer's double team spamming Emonga...then remembered Chill had power ~120 swift...
Leader Battle: Kamitsure
Team:
Rex Lv.30
-Tackle
-Crunch
-Take Down
-Cheer Up
Sora Lv.26
-Air Cutter
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Roost
Chill Lv.25
-Tickle
-Dig
-Sweep Slap
-Swift
I led off with Rex, she started switching between her Emongas with Volt Change. One Cheer Up boosted Take down took care of both of them...or it would have, had she not switched Zeburaika in after the first one fainted...one take down took care of that though...Unfortunately, recoil KOd Rex. It was up to Chill to get rid of the last Emonga. Unfortunately, a crit Volt Change KOd him. Sent Sora out and revived Rex. Sora got KOd (How shocking) and Rex took the last Emo down.

-Bolt Badge get!
-Healed up and headed out to route 5 again
-Cheren showed up for another battle..wait didn't I battle him just before the last gym? Oh well, Rex beat him again (Gotta get the others back up to his level...)
-Kamitsure showed up and led us towards a large group of trainers including a man with hair so ridiculous he's gotta be a gym leader.
-Got dragged into a double battle with Cheren vs 2 school kids...and apparently Kamitsure healed my team without me noticing, sweet!
-Crossed an insanely long bridge and found Cheren talking to...a cowboy?
-Headed out of this new town to Route 6, caught Shikijika (Shino)
-Rode south to some kind of factory and-Oh what a surprise it's Cheren again
-Entered the...giant freezer?
-Battled some trainers, Rex evolved, looks bloody ridiculous now...switched him to the back of the party to give Sora some EXP. Fought Team Plasma, woo...
-After 4 grunt battles the cowboy showed up with a small army of workers in snow gear who proceeded to arrest team Plasma, I guess?
-Healed up and headed to the gym where team Plasma's second in command (who is definitely not the main villain taking advantage of N's raised by wolves nature...) bailed out his minions...

Leader Battle: Yakon
Team:
Shino Lv.28
-Jump Kick
-Leech Seed
-Faint Attack
-Take Down

Chill Lv.26
-Tickle
-Dig
-Sweep Slap
-Swift

Rex Lv.32
-Tackle
-Crunch
-Take Down
-Cheer Up

Sora Lv.30
-Air Cutter
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Roost

Shino swept Warubiru and Doryuuzu with swagger-boosted Jump Kick before falling to Gamagaru. Sora went in and finished the battle.

-Quake Badge get!

Next time! I honestly don't know...

Completed Challenges:
Nuzlocke Challenge: Moemon Forever V2
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Normal
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)